Double Assignment

By Iffylicious

Trying her best to make it into the detective team, all FBI agent, Vivian, wants to do is bring her father's... More

Authors note
Characters ✨
001.
β€’1|☠️
β€’2|✨
β€’3|🀯
β€’4|🀸
β€’5|πŸ™Œ
β€’6|😈
β€’7|🀷
β€’8|🌝
β€’9|😬
β€’10|😦
β€’11|πŸ—£οΈ
β€’12|✨
β€’13|😡
β€’14|πŸ₯΄
β€’15|✨
β€’16|πŸ¦‹
β€’17|πŸ‘
β€’18|🧐
β€’19|πŸ”₯
β€’20|πŸ˜›
β€’21|✨
β€’22|πŸ₯Ά
β€’23|πŸ˜ͺ
β€’25|🀀
β€’26|πŸ₯΅
β€’27|🀝
β€’28|πŸ¦‹
β€’29|πŸ™ˆ
β€’30|πŸ”₯
β€’31|✨
β€’32|πŸ˜’
β€’32|🀀
β€’33|πŸ˜ͺ

β€’24|πŸ’…

60 22 27
By Iffylicious

Maxim.

I sighed deeply, my eyes roaming the quad through my office window and the rim of my glasses. Not too far off, my favourite songbird sat perched on its nest, it's golden beak producing a dull and sombre tune which was in fact a huge contrast to what she usually sang. The tulips planted around the tree's base, obviously wasn't left out either. It's vibrant pink color seemed to lose its shine with my blue orbs piercing it every now and then. Running a hand through my hair, I shook my head and mused over how damp and gloomy my life had become.

"No way Maxim." I chided myself." Enough with this crappy attitude. Think positively, happy thoughts."

Immediately those words escaped my lips, the image of an annoyingly attractive black head formed in my mind. My lips twitched upwards and I found myself grinning like an overly enthusiastic child on Christmas day.

Hells, she was infuriating but somehow, thinking about her always made me smile...

And things that make you smile, don't exactly last long. A voice snickered in my ears. You do remember right?

Shut up. I snarled. That's not true and the others were mistakes and coincidences, nothing more.

Oh, really? Fine then. I could feel his sarcasm coiling around my chest, threatening to choke out whatever amount of positivity I'd managed to gather. If that's what floats your boat. But don't forget...

"Maxim! Maxim!" Liam's voice tumbled into my office and for the first time all week, I was actually glad he was here." Maxim!?"

"Cool your horses young man." I winced, clamping both hands over my ears in an attempt to shut off his voice. Both of them. "I don't want to add ruined ear drums to my defects."

"Well maybe you should switch on your phone then." He retorted, panting heavily. I took in his appearance with a frown as I walked briskly towards him. His black hair was damp and  few droplets of the slimy liquid trickled down his face and into his eyebrows, making them fuller and disgusting. His eyes looked glazed over and his sweatshirt covered chest was heaving unevenly.

He definitely ran all the way here..

"What's the use of having a cell phone," He huffed, sliding into my chair and simultaneously pulling me out of my reverie."if it's not even going through?".

"Is that why you're charging in here like a raging bull?" I pressed a button and the ceiling fan came to life in a whir. He nodded remotely and solely in appreciation before sinking deeper into the chair. His eyes clasped down on each other as he swung his legs unto my desk, his huge feet barely colliding with my back. "Hey, watch it."

"You haven't answered my question." He hummed with his eyes still closed." Why has your phone been off for the past one week?"

"Because," I rubbed my hands together hoping it would chase off the unnatural chill seeping into my clothes." You know what I'm dealing with."

"Dad?" Liam whistled and I could barely make out a tiny hint of sarcasm. Either that, or I was just overthinking things." You know he's been trying to reach you..."

"I don't want to hear it." I cut him off." I'd actually surrender myself to the psychopath stalker than entertain his presence."

"Harsh." Liam's eyes flew open. He stared at me, an unreadable expression in his eyes." And totally uncalled for."

"If that's what you came here to talk about." I retreated towards Diane's part of the office." Then you might as well leave. I'm not interested."

"You will be when you hear what I have to say." He shrugged unnervingly and I couldn't just decipher the reason why." Trust me.".

"What is it?" I groaned as I made my way back to him." If it's not as important as you say, I'm going to punch that grin right off your face and make sure you get braces."

"Chill out." He laughed, seeming unfazed by my threat.

" Here." He slammed something I hadn't realised he was holding on my desk, the stack of papers causing a small thud to emit from the wood finishing on my desk." Check this out."

"What is this?" I carefully plucked out the first page and raised it to my face." Name; Vivian Sterling, age:  . Liam, what the hell is this?"

"That my dear brother," Liam chuckled and I felt my blood boil."is the result of the assignment you gave me. All that and more are details and information about your Diane Sanchez."

He made air quotes around the name and I pressed my fingers against my palm, failing desperately to keep myself from punching him square in the jaw.

"Or should I say, Vivian Sterling?" Something about the way the names left his lips didn't sit right with me.

"What are you saying?" I growled, tapping my foot impatiently on the wooden floor." You're not making any sense..."

" I am. " His legs left the comfort of my desk and his sneakers kissed the floor, a scratching sound coming from underneath his shoes." Just calm down and read through it."

"Fine." I huffed, snagging the papers from the desk and holding it up to my face.  I skimmed through the words printed boldly on the white sheet of paper and I felt my heart drop lower with each line I read." No."

"Yes." Liam was on his feet now, his hands stuffed into his pocket ." Whatever you're seeing right now is the truth."

"I, I don't understand." I stuttered. The picture attached to the top right corner of the paper was definitely Diane but the information underneath said otherwise." This isn't, it doesn't make any sense."

"It does." Liam had a smug look on his face and to be honest, it was driving me crazy." You just don't want to believe it."

"And why would I?" I yelled, throwing the papers up in the air." This is all bullshit. Where did you get this from?"

"My sources." He shrugged, his eyes piercing mine." They're usually reliable. You know I told you right?"

"Told me what?" I yelled and he barely flinched. I was already furious with what I'd just found out and Liam's calm demeanor was just riling me up the more." Liam?"

"Can't you see it bro?" He placed a hand on my shoulder and i felt irritated. Like immediately." It's as clear as daylight."

"What is?" I squared my shoulders." If you're not going to speak directly, don't speak at all."

"Fine.  She's the stalker!" He dropped the bombshell and I felt my heart explode in my chest." It's pretty obvious!"

"Liam ." I pinched the bridge of my nose, praying silently that I'd be able to dispel the anger that was building inside me. But alas, nature wasn't on my side." How is it obvious here?"

"Her real name isn't Diane Sanchez!" He boomed." It's Vivian Sterling and....."

"And what?!" I cut him off,  picking up the pieces of paper on the floor and brandishing them wildly in both our faces. "And that she's actually twenty three years old and not nineteen like her college application says? Also she didn't attend Eastridge high and she probably lives in a tapioca farm all the way in Ohio!?"

"Now you're just being sarcastic and stupid." Liam frowned, his bulky hands crossing over his chest." You know that's not what's in there."

"And I don't care." I spat, looking him in the eye. He didn't flinch, just mirrored my cold expression." It's not true. There's no way she'd be able to school here if all this were true."

"We both know you don't believe that." Liam's voice was cold, icy even and it sent a chill down my spine . " If someone wants to hurt or get to you, I'm a hundred percent sure he/she would do everything possible to get to his goal. Don't you think this is exactly what she's doing?"

"What's her goal exactly?" I countered, the weight of his words baring down on me. I didn't want to believe, but with every sentence that came out of his stupid mouth, this whole scenario was beginning to make sense." Tell me, O Liam the Great one." I clasped my hands together and bowed my head in mock salute.

"Stop it Max." He snarled, his frown deepening. I was already getting to him. Good. " Everything is right in front of you but you just want to turn a blind eye on things. As usual."

He whispered the last part I almost missed it.

"What?" I chuckled softly, a huge contrast to the volcano that was just waiting to erupt." What did you just say?"

"I said as usual." He replied, bolder this time.  I wasn't mad he was being brave to me. In fact I was impressed. We'd always been known to butt heads once in a while, but I never expected his next statement." Just like dad says."

"You bastard!" I cursed, lunging for him blindly. He stepped back immediately, barely missing my fist from connecting with his jaw." How dare you?"

"Well it's true isn't it?" He lashed out, his eyes burning with a rage I'd just noticed." You have it all. Everything you've ever wanted. Evidence. But you still don't want to believe it's her. Because deep down you're an emotionally unstable lad who might have something going on with his dirty one night stand!"

"Liam!" I was this close from slapping him and ramming his head into the shelves behind him." How dare you? What the fuck are you saying?"

"The truth!" He spat." The fucking truth and you know it. Getting mad or trying to hurt me won't make it any less true. Think about it, everything got worse ever since she stepped into your life and she hasn't been honest with you, not once. But you're throwing it all away because of some random hole...."

He never got to finish his sentence as I swung my coffee mug towards him. It sailed smoothly over his head, crashing against the wall instead and I recoiled, anger boiling in me that I didn't hit him. A sick smirk made its way to my lips as I glimpsed the thin line of blood trickling down his left cheek.

"Just..." I started but he cut me off

"Get out." He finished, wiping his cheek with the back of his palm." You don't need to tell me twice."

And with that, he was gone. The tap tap of his sneakers fading into the distance. I picked up a book and hurled it towards the door, it's jacket ripping into two once it came in contact with the ground.  I tugged on my hair with both hands, the veins in my forehead threatening to pop but I didn't care. The angst choking at my heartstrings was nothing compared to the searing pain in my head. My stomach churned and I lurched forward, steadying myself against the chair in front of me.

Someone whistling in the hallway brought me back to earth. I didn't need any more pointers to know who it was. What had brought her here, I couldn't care less. All I wanted was answers, answers from the very person I was starting to hate.

Is it just me or did it get really hot in here?✨

What do you think will happen next?

I'll be waiting below for your comments

Read
Vote
Share and comment

ILY 😍🥺

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 130 14
#1 in Mafia Romance 🀌🏻 "An India Mafia Love and Revenge Story." A girl with a big secret buried inside. A secret that can bring a big doom. A boy w...
7.1K 198 28
Two people sit in a dimly lit room playing a deadly game of fate. What led them to this game and who will win? We all have secrets that we d...
1K 218 20
The painful and sudden death of her father causes Madison to desire for sweet revenge despite being completely clueless of the murderer's identity. A...
40.3K 710 12
Elizabeth Mitchel thought her graduation day was going to be like any other, that is, until her ill mother gave her the name of her ostensible father...