Let's Trust Tonight

By fallingheartsxx

BOOK 3 of the Let's Hurt Tonight series. More

Intro
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
SERIES RECAP
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
EPILOGUE
Feathers of a Robin's Wing
Thank You

42

4.3K 176 55
By fallingheartsxx

Part 2/3 of triple update :) make sure to read chapter 41 before this one!!

...

March 2017 - Two years and two months ago

Amelia

"Hey Amelia, why don't I show you around the rose garden while everyone's so immersed on their phones?" Robin says, laughing while he gestures to Harry, Gemma, and Anne who all have their heads buried in their devices.

"Sure, I'd like that," I respond, smiling at the man.

Harry immediately turns to look at me, silently asking if he wants me to come. I squeeze his hand as a sign I'll be alright and standing up, I follow Robin out of the room. 

The air is brisk outside and I slightly regret not bringing a heavier jacket. I wrap my arms around my torso, following Robin as he briefly shows me around the garden. 

"The flowers aren't in full bloom but come a couple of months and they'll have blossomed," Robin tells me, gesturing to the flowers round us. 

Their buds are closed right now, shielded off from the cold air but I have no doubt that they'll be stunning when they do, in fact, decide to open up. 

"I'm sure the garden in beautiful in spring and summer," I comment. 

Robin mainly smiles. 

"It is," he says. He then gestures to two Adirondack chairs and I gladly take up one while he sits in the other. He sighs. "I'll admit, showing you around the garden was just an excuse to get you alone. I didn't want the others to overhear." 

I furrow my eyebrows, unsure of where he's going with this. My palms grow a little sweaty and for a second I'm nervous he's going to tell me off or threaten me to stay away from Harry. 

"I don't have a lot of time left, Amelia," Robin starts, catching me completely off guard. All of my nerves vanish in that moment and in their place sadness and concern takes over. "My medication...it isn't working. I'm unsure of how much time I have left but my guess would be less than a year. I'm planning on stopping all medication and treatment soon, once I'm absolutely sure it's of no benefit to me."

I frown, feeling all of my breath being stolen from me as I process the horrible news. Harry hasn't told me anything of Robin's state. He said he was sick but never mentioned how sick. 

"Does - does anyone know?" I ask, feeling somewhat mortified when he immediately shakes his head. 

"No. You're the first," he tells me. I open my mouth to respond, feeling dirty that he told me and not his own family, but he quickly cuts me off. "Part of me needed to tell someone who wasn't family because I know it'll hurt them when I break the news...I needed a practice run, and selfishly I chose you to tell. I'm sorry."

I sigh and shake my head. 

"No, please don't apologize," I opt to say. 

I think I understand where he's coming from. Sometimes you just need to say certain words aloud, to give them a feel for how they sound. Robin, I'm assuming, just wanted to practice with someone who isn't particularly close to him. I can get that. 

"I don't mean to just throw this on you, but there's a reason I chose to tell you that, other than just wanting to see how it sounds to say aloud," Robin continues. My eyes avert briefly from his before I reluctantly look back at him. He seems healthy on the outside and I feel like either screaming or crying, knowing that his body is failing him on the inside to the point of no return. "When I was first diagnosed, I started writing in a journal. It was therapeutic and helped me voice some thoughts I knew I couldn't speak. It also helped keep my mind organized, subsequently keeping me rather sane during all of this...

"A couple of months ago I found out that my medication and treatment options were shrinking. I knew my odds weren't that good and I came to terms with it. I wasn't as upset as I probably should have been, but I suppose I'm still processing it now. My feelings might change. However, the one thing I didn't feel, and I don't anticipate on feeling, is helpless. 

"I'm not hopeful that the medication will suddenly start working again. Of course I'd love that, but I'm trying to remain as optimistic as I can while also being realistic. So instead of groveling in my misery while thinking of what could have been, I came up with this idea to put my energy into with the time I have left and - well - I was wondering if you'd be able to help me with it."

I take a second to process Robin's words, finding it almost odd how open he is with me and not his own family. We just met yet he's indulging some of his deepest secrets with me, a stranger

How can he trust me? How does he know I won't go back and tell his family everything he's saying to me? I mean of course I know I won't, but how can he?

"Of course I'll help you," I tell Robin honestly, not knowing exactly what it is he wants help with yet. He smiles at me. "But - but I just don't understand why me. We just met. I could be a horrible person to help you with whatever you need and you wouldn't know."

Robin chuckles and reaches over, giving my shoulder a light squeeze. 

"You're not a horrible person, Amelia. Not at all. I've heard the most wonderful things about you from Anne and Gemma and especially Harry. He won't stop gushing about you," Robin says, causing my cheeks to heat up. "It's very obvious he's in love with you and by the way you look at him and interact together, I'd bet that you are too."

I freeze. I knew my feelings for Harry were surpassing just liking him as my boyfriend. I knew I was falling deep into the realm of love, but I didn't realize just how obvious it was. 

"I - I - " I stammer, but I find it hard to say anything when my thoughts are barely processing in a timely fashion. 

"It's okay," Robin says. He looks out at the garden in front of him, a thoughtful expression on his face. "You don't have to say it out loud but I know."

Maybe I should take Robin's advice and practice saying those words so I can accurately tell Harry how I feel, but for some reason I find myself freezing up. 

Of course I love Harry. I think secretly I've known for a while but I'm having a hard time coming to terms with it. I've grown accustomed to pushing away the thought of love and relationships with the fear of getting hurt in the end. 

But then somehow Harry weaseled his way into my life and set up camp. I'm not sure what it was about him but it just felt right to be in his presence, is that cheesy to say? I found myself wishing we were together when we were apart, and talking to him quickly turned into my favorite part of the day. 

And now...well now that we're together, I just cannot imagine a life without him in it. 

"Can I tell you a secret?" I ask Robin, shifting in my chair so my body is angled towards him. "I feel it's only fair since you shared some with me."

Robin grins and gestures for me to continue. 

"Of course. I love gossiping," he says. 

I smile. 

"Well I - uh - I have this senior project that I've been working on. It's a paper and it's supposed to be about someone influential in my life...basically I'm just getting graded on the writing aspect of it but - but I'm planning on writing about Harry," I say. I nervously fiddle with the ring on my thumb. "I don't know if he'll be upset or not but...but he's the most influential person to me. He taught me how to love again and how to feel myself. There's just...something really special about him, and not because he's a famous musician. It has nothing to do with that. 

"I realized recently just how much he means to me. I can't picture a life without him, you know? So I just started writing to gather my thoughts, kind of like you did with your journal, and then it just came to me to write about him. I won't publicize it or anything, or even mention his name, but - uh - yeah, that's my secret. I hope he doesn't hate me for it."

I haven't liked keeping this from Harry but I want to present my paper to him when I'm all done and before I submit it to the English department. I want him to know I'm not just using him. He's my muse not because he's a well known celebrity, but because I really am falling in love with the precious person that he is. 

Robin just looks at me, taking in my words while silence falls over us. I'm nervous he's going to tell me it's a horrible idea or make some sort of comment about how I shouldn't expose Harry like that, but a grin slowly forms on his face. 

"I knew you were in love with him," Robin mutters. He looks away briefly, smiling at the garden in front of us, before turning back to me. "I think Harry will love that, Amelia. Definitely sit down with him and explain when you're ready because sometimes...well sometimes Harry can overthink, but who can't? However, I think once he reads it and you explain everything, he'll absolutely be okay with it. He won't hate you, not in the slightest. He's always loved kind and grand gestures like that and I think it'll mean even more to him coming from you. I truly believe that."

My cheeks burn and I have no doubt that they are a deep rosy color right now. 

"Yeah?" I nervously say, although I do feel a lot better knowing I have Robin's approval. 

He nods. 

"I wouldn't lie to you," he tells me, seriously. "I don't have much time left, Amelia. I'm not trying to build a relationship with you based off of lies. I want to skip to the deep stuff while staying truthful." 

I smile, still feeling sad over Robin's predicament but somehow his optimistic and bright personality alleviates some of that pain. He's so joyous and cheerful that I find it hard to believe he has stage four cancer. I could only aspire to have a fraction of the positive outlook on life that he has. 

"Me too..." I say. "And thank you, by the way...for your advice and for listening. And if it's okay, I think I want this to just stay between us for the moment before I tell Harry." 

"Of course, dear. Just between us. It'll be our secret," Robin says to me. 

"Speaking of which...you said earlier you needed my help with something?" 

Robin grins as he remembers the initial purpose of our 'secret' conversation. 

"Right," he says with a small smile. He then turns to me, his eyes twinkling in the sunlight peeking through the clouds. "I'd like to write a book before I pass and - well - I'd like your help with it."

...

Helloooo if you'd like to revisit this, it is from chapter 49 of Let's Hurt Tonight :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

731K 28.7K 41
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
930K 15.9K 41
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
844K 45.2K 32
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...
2.4K 300 16
REPUBLICATION Une jeune femme arrive au département des mystères juste après Voldemort. Pourquoi lui ressemble t-elle autant ? Et pourquoi a t-elle l...