【Re:Freezing】 | Gray Fullbus...

By BluexInks

Karissa Sinclost, a mage with a particular trait inherited from two mages. Trials, pain, tears, joy and laugh... More

1. Two Friends Before The Storm
2. Three Pupils
3. The Odd One Out
4. The End Of Our Days
5. A Guild In A Foreign Kingdom
6. Feeling Closeness and Sorrow
7. Time Flies
8. Two Friends In X783
9. Flying Into The Iron Forest
10. Stop The Lullaby!
11. Only For S-Class!
12. Three Ice Mages
13: The Icy Conflict
14. Wrapping Things Up
15. Fairies And Phantoms
16. Back To Normalcy (Kinda)
17. A Breather? Thanks
18. Going South
19. Reprieve
20. A Battle Against Kin For The Sake Of Kin
21. Fantasia's Quodlibet And Reminiscence
22. Calling All Allies
23. Rough Start
24. Skirmish
26. Unveiled Archive
27. Playing What-Ifs
28. Just The Two Of Us Away From Rain
29. Something Familiar Yet Something New
30. High Time To Realize
31. Just Keep Cool
32. On The Waters
33. To Do Or Not To Do
34. The S-Class Promotion Trial Is A Go!
35. Vanitas
36. Pandora's Heart
37: Third Generation
38. Innocent Calm and Pure Terror
39. Mystery Scion
40. Pieces of Yore
41. X791 Homecoming
42. Top of Chain
43. Scabs
44. Hello, My Dear Kin
45. Improvised Storm
46. Dry Flower
47. And I You
48. Crocus
49. Grand Magic Games
50. The Might of Sinclost
51. Gratuitous
52: Deluge Oddments
53: Control
54. Eve to Final
55. Cold She Is Might
56. Non-Standards
57: To Love and Be Loved
58: The Hunt
59: Future to Write
60. Moonflower
61: Who Screamed?

25. Nirvana

543 22 1
By BluexInks

Their only choice was to climb up the giant walking creature they ended up on. Natsu ended up going off on his own with Happy by flying while Gray, Karissa and Lucy had to climb. When they made it, they found Jura and Hot Eye together with the first claiming that the dark guild member was now an ally of theirs. Hot Eye explained what Nirvana was; the ancient city of the Nirvit clan that tried to restore balance during times of war. Apparently, they were always a neutral group that grieved for the ailing world so they created Nirvana, a magic that would exchange light and darkness.

"It has the name that signifies peace, and yet is being used for evil." Gray pointed out the irony.

Lucy frowned deeply. "But, it'd be a good magic, if they hadn't originally used turning light into darkness as one of its elements."

"They didn't think deeply enough about the opposite." Karissa shrugged and played with her sleeves behind her back. "It must have been desperation then."

Jura crossed his arms over his chest. "Strong magic is bound to have strong side effects."

"In any case," Hot Eye interjected. "We are in trouble now that it is moving. We must stop this without a moment to spare. Brain will likely be in the central King's Hall controlling it. While he is, he may not use other magic. That is the chance to attack."

Karissa tipped her head curiously. So he's driving it...

Gray looked at their new ally. "Does that mean it's going in someplace in particular?"

"Perhaps... But I have no idea as to where to."

"That's right." A voice above them spoke suddenly, prompting everyone to look up and find them standing atop a building. It was Midnight. He looked down on them with disinterest. "I am the only one who knows what my father is thinking. Hot Eye, don't tell me you're betraying Father?"

Hot Eye held his stare and shook his head. "Not at all! I have only realized the error of Brain's ways!"

Hearing him say that made Midnight leap off the building and glare at him. The light forces readied themselves just in case. He didn't look pleased with what Hot Eye said. "Father? Error? Is that what you said?" he spoke, his voice dripping with displeasure.

Gray eyed the enemy warily. "What's this 'father' stuff about...?"

"Father and son in a dark guild?" Lucy guessed.

"It's possible." Karissa spoke, tone flat.

Hot Eye narrowed his eyes at Midnight. "One cannot switch someone's heart with magic. However, weak hearts may be raised into strong ones."

Midnight didn't let him breath another word as he suddenly swung his arm in front of him. In an instant, they all felt magic surge in their direction. The moment he extended his arm, Karissa quickly tried to create an ice wall to protect everyone, only to lose her footing and slip and fall. She groaned when Gray fell on her. She wheezed when Lucy landed on Gray, adding more weight.

"What just happened?!" Gray asked no one specifically, completely thrown for a loop.

"Hot Eye-dono caused the ground to collapse and saved our lives."

"Great... but I'm dying over here." Karissa wheezed, lightly tapping Gray's shoulder. His head was on her shoulder and his broad back was pressed on her. Yeah. He was literally lying on her like as if they were two dominoes that knocked one down. She huffed, his soft spiky hair flying off her nose and mouth. She was able to breathe better when Lucy took her sweet time getting off of him. Gray helped Karissa up and out of the crater.

"You should all go to the King's Hall." Hot Eye suggested as he stepped in front of the crater that he made to protect them from Midnight's earlier attack. He urged them to go by reassuring that all Oración Seis' members had equal power, he would be enough to hold off Midnight from pursuing them.

...

...

...

Karissa ran in between Lucy and Gray as they followed after Jura who they judged was the best choice to lead them right now.

"Do you think he'll be alright facing that guy?" Lucy wondered, a little concern for their new ally.

"If what he says is true, then we shouldn't worry too much." Gray responded.

"If Hot Eye is actually weaker than Midnight, then we just need to find Brain and stop him." Karissa spoke up while she heard the sound of buildings falling down, most likely from Midnight's attacks. "Brain is Midnight's 'father' right? That could be his weakness. He might abandon the fight if Brain is taken down."

"A plausible theory." Jura remarked. "If that is the case, then we should hurry. I don't like the thought of Hot Eye dying after he changed his ways."

As the Fairy Tail mages continued following Lamia Scale's ace throughout the ancient streets, they suddenly heard a loud noise that echoed throughout the ancient city. It sounded like... a roar. It was extremely loud.

"... Is it... Natsu?" Karissa guessed.

Gray and Lucy exchanged looks at that possibility.

There was no proof of it, but somehow, a roar like that would be befitting of someone like Natsu.

Eventually, they found Brain. However, he wasn't alone. He was dragging off Natsu until they arrived and found him. Happy was around the area too. At first, it was weird to see Natsu get dragged without fighting back. Knowing him, he would have kicked the back of Brain's head and sent him flying into a building. But Happy reminded them that thing structure they were on was considered a vehicle for Natsu.

Apparently, Brain wanted Natsu to fill in the vacant spots that half of the Oración Seis left behind upon their defeat.

"I figured this would happen eventually. Finally getting scouted by a Dark Guild, huh?" Gray scoffed at his pink haired guildmate who just groaned when the walking city shook.

"I doubt you'd want someone who could barely stand on his own two feet as your ally." Karissa spat indifferently. She pointed her hand at Natsu who just looked in their direction pitifully. "He's pathetic! Look! He's about to puke just from breathing!"

"... Wh... Why are you being so mean?" Natsu whined at her.

It wasn't her intention. She was just trying to make Brain see the downside of having Natsu as his ally. Hopefully he'd find him pathetic enough and let him go.

"Natsu won't do what you want!" Lucy spoke up.

Brain smirked evilly. "It matters not. Nirvana will send his heart into darkness, and then he'll be my right hand."

Karissa deadpanned. She wondered if Nirvana reversed people's actions. If Nirvana turned light into darkness, then would that mean Natsu would be cleaning up his messes after causing destruction?

"Not gonna happen!" Natsu chomped on his hand with all his might. Karissa snorted at his defiance. Brain just clicked his tongue and slammed him on the ground after lifting him up. Natsu's teeth reluctantly loosened around his arm and he lied on the ground without moving a muscle. He was just begging his allies to stop the walking city so he could feel better.

"Stop it?" Brain repeated with a deep chuckle, greatly amused. "Stop Nirvana, you mean? I'd like to see you try! The city will soon be at its first goal! It'll arrive at Cait Shelter!"

Karissa narrowed her eyes. Why that guild?

"State your intention!" Jura spoke up loudly. "Why are you taking aim at Wendy-dono's guild?" he demanded to know. Brain didn't give him an answer. He just went on about how he was greatly looking forward to seeing Nirvana do its work.

"... Is he deaf?" Karissa wondered as she looked at Jura curiously who looked extremely annoyed by Brain's monologue, it made her do a double take. His face didn't exactly look friendly. She quietly and leaned away, inching towards Gray so that she could step away from Jura. Gray shivered when he saw Jura's face and felt the magic power that was surging from him. The two ice mages stepped out of Jura's way as he stepped forward, they were a little scared.

"Did you not hear me? State your purpose!" he repeated, his tone firm.

"I have no words to waste on small fry like you! I am the judge of light and darkness! On your knees!"

Jura clenched his fist as Brain laughed at them. "This man annoys me. He is unable to engage in sane conversation." The Wizard Saint suddenly pointed two fingers at Brain which instantly sent giant rocks flying in his direction. With how fast he casted his spell, Brain didn't even have a chance to protect himself since he was sent flying into the nearest building followed by a giant blast.

Lucy, Gray and Karissa stood together silently in shock while the breeze from his attack threw their hair back. When the smoke cleared, Brain was lying among the rubble with a flabbergasted expression on his face. Jura stepped closer with an angered look. "Stand up! You're not allowed any rest until you tell me why you are targeting Cait Shelter!"

The Fairy Tail mages just stood back and watched the Wizard Saint make quick work of Brain whose attacks did not even touch the Lamia Scale member. They were able to see the strength of a Wizard Saint up close, the strength of someone who held the same title as their Master. Jura was using Earth Magic. As Karissa watched him fight, she did more of a studious observance of his magic compared to Lucy and Gray who were watching in awe. She mentally noted how similar his employment of Earth magic was to her brother. Obviously, being a top class mage, Jura's style had more refine and precision. Van, however, had more of a chaotic style that would reach a wide area if he desired to cause such damage. Her brother could learn a thing or two from Jura in terms of precision.

Karissa could see why Lyon spoke to Jura with respect. He earned it.

The Lamia Scale member crouched next to the fallen leader's body and asked once more what was the reason behind targeting Cait Shelter. Still, he did not answer Jura's question as he instead muttered about something else while one of the tattoos on Brain's face vanished.

Alerted by the sudden of footsteps, Karissa glanced over her shoulder after making an ice sword. But her intent to harm quickly dissipated when she saw the youngest member and her cat friend of the alliance frantically running their way. Judging by the look on her face, she must have figured out that Nirvana was heading straight towards her guild. Her worries were quelled somewhat when Gray pointed at Brain's immobile body.

Lucy smiled reassuringly at Wendy. "We think that Brain was the one controlling Nirvana. Now that he's out, we should be able to stop the city."

Carla crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes at Brain. "I don't like it. In the end, we never found out why they were targeting Cait Shelter?"

Gray rested his hands on his hips and slightly shrugged. "I doubt there's any deep reason anyway."

"I think it would have been important to know what the reason was." Karissa admitted quietly. She put her hands behind her back and fidgeted with her sleeves. "We still don't know the reason why Wendy was even taken in the first place either."

Hearing this, the young dragon slayer stiffened and looked at Karissa nervously. The older girl tilted her head when she noticed this which prompted Wendy to look away and down at her feet. Odd reaction. What was that about?

...

...

...

There was no way to stop Nirvana. There wasn't any type of control system that would help stop its march towards Cait Shelter. Defeating Brain alone wasn't going to be enough to stop it as it was now on autopilot.

Natsu looked around with a frown. "Wreck it, maybe?"

Thanks to one of Wendy's spells, he was motion sickness free and able to help instead of lying on the floor.

"That train of thought again?" Lucy sighed exasperatedly.

Jura looked down in the direction where they left Brain, a frown on his face. "I believe asking Brain is the quickest way."

Karissa peered down at the ancient city with an impassive face. In such an empty city, sound was bound to echo. It was then that she remembered how Hot Eye was left with Midnight to deal with. For a while now, she didn't hear anything echo or rumble in the city which was odd considering the nature of Midnight's magic. Who won?

"I... I think I may have an idea, so I'm going to go check it out!" Wendy suddenly said as she ran off towards the staircase. Carla ran after her since she didn't want Wendy roaming around where the enemy might be hiding around a corner.

All of sudden, a familiar voice echoed in her mind.

"Everyone, can you hear me? It is I, Hot Eye."

Jura looked up at the sky. "Richard-dono? Are you alright?"

"I regret to report that I am not alright. As I suspected, I could not stand up to Midnight. You need to combine your strengths to defeat Midnight. If you defeat him, the supply of magical power to Nirvana will be cut off... and the city will come to a stop. Midnight is now directly beneath the King's Hall! But be careful... he is very.... Very strong! There is only one prayer of the six left. You must win this... you have to... stop Nirvana!"

Karissa watched Jura ordered them all to follow after him so that they may face Midnight altogether. The others ran off, but Karissa didn't follow after them immediately. She had her doubts about this. The Oración Seis were dangerous. They could kill people. If Hot Eye suddenly chose to side with them, would that not just give Midnight the initiative to off him, a traitor to his group? Why would he leave him alive?

Lucy looked over her shoulder when Karissa just stood there while the others ran down the steps. She was wondering why Karissa looked so conflicted. "Karissa! What's wrong?"

The girl met Lucy's gaze.

If Hot Eye never allied with them in the first place, then this might as well be a trap. Maybe he was leading them down somewhere where a great danger lied.

The youngest Sinclost gritted her teeth. She ran up to catch up to Lucy who continued running when she saw her catching up.

I'm naturally cautious. Once I have seeds of doubt, it's hard to brush them away.

When they ran down the steps in the dark, they found doors waiting for them at the bottom where Midnight supposedly was. Her eyes focused on Natsu when she saw him jump the rest of the way down and grab the door handles. Immediately, she followed after him stuck next to him with her hands together. She didn't know what was waiting behind that door, but if Hot Eye thinks that they could get rid of them like this, then he was dead wrong.

As soon as Natsu pried the doors opened, Karissa felt magic power surging from the inside accompanied by a bright light. Something was wrong.

Karissa pushed Natsu out of the way. The light got brighter.

"It's a trap!" Jura's voice bellowed behind her.

What should she make? What would be enough to protect them all? What about the debris above them that would eventually fall? All these questions that were necessary to protect her allies from whatever blast was going to occur made her hesitate at the last second. By the time she figured out what to do, she couldn't see anything at all but she still slammed her hands down to try and make up for her mistake. However, something had pushed her back just before she could cast an ice spell.

...

...

Noise. Rumbling. Ringing. Complete Darkness.

That was all she heard and felt. It all happened in a blink of an eye. It took time for everyone to get up and gather their bearings. Lucy, Karissa, Gray, Natsu and Happy found themselves protected under a dome of solid earth. Karissa's eyes widened in realization. No.

When Natsu broke through the roof, Jura was left heavily wounded as he stood in front of them. He took the blast head on and protected them from harm.

Karissa gritted her teeth, again, regretfully.

Damn it! I was too slow!

...

...

...

"What'll we do...? He's injured really bad!"

"Don't you dare die on us, old man!"

Jura was lying on the ground with bloody wounds. They weren't sure how to help him since no one had any healing magic or medical supplies. If only Wendy didn't run off on her own. Karissa and Natsu stood next to each other with dark looks. They both were angry for that stupid trap that was lying on waiting for them. Karissa was mostly angry at herself for not saying something earlier.

Karissa peered outside the giant hole in the wall, it was caused by the earlier blast. Her eyes caught a glimpse of Nirvana's limbs. "We need to stop this thing no matter what. Jura can't stay like this with his wounds. He needs to be treated as soon as possible."

Natsu clenched his fists. "We'll force that Brain guy to stop this!" he decided.

"You have to be kidding me. That idiot Brain used up the very last of his power... and all he could do was take on jerk down?" an eerie voice spoke from somewhere. Everyone whipped their heads around in alarm to try and find the source. Happy was the first to spot it and show them. To their surprise, it was Brain's staff. It was now talking and floating towards them.

Its eyes and orb in its mouth glowed brightly as it spoke. "Still... as long as Midnight is around, nobody can say we were completely defeated. Maybe I should take care of you—" his voice was cut off when Karissa flew up in the air and grabbed the staff. The others watched her drop on the ground and tightly hold it up to her face. She held it tightly in one hand and stared down at it darkly. The staff jerked in her hold. "Unhand—"

"Shut the hell up, garbage." Karissa snapped the staff in half when she stepped on it and bent it sideways.

Lucy, Happy and Gray sweat dropped as the staff screeched.

"How dare you! I am the Seventh of the Oración Seis! I've been awakened to finish you clods ou—"

"Gimme." Natsu scowled and walked to her. Apathetically, Karissa just opened her hand just in time for Natsu to snatch it. He started banging it on the ground angrily and demanded that it stop the walking city.

"Or else I'll stomp on your skull and crush it like an egg." Karissa threatened apathetically. She really had no patience now that Jura was down. She just wanted this stupid city to stop its damn march.

"Yeah! So stop this, you stupid stick! I'll light you on fire!"

"You know... together, Natsu and Karissa are quite the pair when it comes to creepy objects." Lucy remarked with a baffled face. "First it was Lullaby and now it's the creepy talking staff."

"Yeah..." Happy nodded once.

But it was from Brain's staff that they learned the reason why Nirvana was marching towards Cait Shelter. Wendy's guild was formed by the descendants of the Nirvits, the ancient race that created Nirvana long ago all in the name of peace, but decided to seal it away once they saw how dangerous it was. For that reason, Cait Shelter had to be destroyed since they could seal it away once more.

As the staff laughed for the Oración Seis' assured victory and the light alliance's assured failure, it slipped out of Natsu's grasp and hit him square in the face. The pink haired mage got angry and tried light it on fire until the staff sent him tumbling away. Then it came and whacked both Karissa and Gray in that face which sent them flying backwards. God, that staff might be made of wood but it certainly struck with the strength of three bricks being thrown at someone.

"Piece of garbage!" Karissa growled angrily; her patience long gone. She got ready for another attack when it came flying towards her only to freeze in midair as it mumbled something. Then it gaped, dropping the orb in its mouth, creating a shattering sound.

"Oh no! This is bad! That one is coming! Oh, no! Oh, no! Oh, no!"

Gray, Natsu and Karissa approached the spazzing staff and looked at it weirdly. "You high?" Karissa asked, not the least bit interested in its problems.

"Brain has another separate personality! His public face is the one with the codename 'Brain' who loves knowledge. But his secret personality, with the codename 'Zero' loves only destruction! Zero was so violent and controlled such a huge amount of magical power that Brain himself used six keys to seal him away!"

Gray stiffened in realization. "Those keys are the Oración Seis?!"

"The man's an idiot if he thought the possibility of those six getting defeated was impossible!" Karissa face palmed. "Big brain move, Brain."

"Once the organic-link magic linked to the six 'demons' is destroyed. Then his personality, Zero, is revived—!" The staff flinched and look in the direction where they all came from. There was a figure walking into the room. The staff wasted no time in greeting Zero while bowing respectfully, looking as if it feared for its very life. The staff was calling him 'Master Zero'.

It was certainly Brain's body walking into the room, but he looked different. His chest was exposed, his skin was light and the sclera of his eyes were blood red. He was smirking sadistically as he approached them all. Fairy Tail didn't move a muscle as he came closer and into the light.

"It seems things have gotten interesting, Klodoa." He finally spoke as the staff pathetically slithered towards him while keeping its head bowed. "So, even Midnight has been defeated?"

"Yes, sir! I-I can't tell you how sorry I am to report it!"

"But even so... I haven't felt like this in a long time!" Zero chuckled deeply, raising his hand that flickered with magic power. "This body... This voice... This magic force... it reminds me of the old days!" he laughed before ripping off his top. "I will handle it from here. You may stand back, Klodoa. Now, you brats..."

They could feel it. The tremendous amount of magic power that was radiating off him. It definitely wasn't pleasant. It was dark and evil.

He materialized a new top to cover himself as if he was officially presenting himself. He smirked darkly as he stared at them. "You have really wreaked havoc on my guild. And as the Master, I will now draw the line!"

Karissa was shaking from his presence. All of them were.

"But I suppose, I should first take care of the baldy who managed to hurt Brain's body... I'll eliminate him!" he charged up a wave of magic in his hand.

Gray instantly put his hands together when he sensed the incoming danger. "You're gonna attack an enemy that can't fight back, you bastard?!"

"It doesn't make much difference whether my enemy can move or not." He shot the magic towards Jura. "As long as it has form, I enjoy destroying it!"

Natsu and Karissa were running towards Brain while he was casting his spell. They heard Gray screaming followed by a loud crash, but they still charged like as if they heard nothing. Natsu charged at him with a fistful of fire. Zero smirked and swiveled around, and then knocked his fist into Natsu's face, sending him flying and crashing through the wall in a blink of an eye.

Karissa backed off just before his fist came smashing into her face. He rapidly lifted his leg and violently slammed it into her. Karissa couldn't breathe. Her body was flung to the other side of the room, she nearly puked from that attack alone.

While she was on the ground trying to recover, the last thing she saw was a blast of magic heading her way.

...

...

...

Karissa came to from the sound of people speaking and echoing in her mind.

Karissa's half-lidded eyes eyed a small rock a few feet away from her. God, she just felt so tired and defeated from Zero's attacks. He really didn't show them any mercy even after they couldn't take it anymore. He just kept sending them attacks, wave after wave. They were thoroughly beaten physically.

But in this state, she was able to pay attention to Hibiki and everyone else who was talking. She already had the gist of the current plan.

I need to move again.

Just one more time is enough.

I have to finish this.

Karissa's fingers twitched.

I still have magic power. And if I still have power, I need to help.

"Gray... Karissa. Both of you, stand up now." Lyon's voice echoed in her mind. Her fist closed tightly. Why was it that his voice alone was giving her more strength to move again? "You're both Ur's disciples. You aren't going to lose to the likes of them."

Karissa clenched her teeth and shifted her head on the hard ground. With her left arm, she tried pushing herself up. She could not spend any more time just lying on the ground and doing absolutely nothing. She fell back on the ground when a sharp pain in her left bicep flared. Great. Ichiya's pain reliever no longer had any effect. Not that it mattered, she was in pain everywhere.

Gray started pushing himself up as well when he noticed that she was getting up. Lucy, Natsu and Happy were also following their lead with everyone crying out for their help.

They had to get up.

"We... can hear you!" Natsu coughed.

"There are six lacrima..." Gray started as he struggled to stay upright.

"We need to destroy them all at the same time." Karissa breathed.

"And a lucky one gets to fight Zero on the way, right?" Lucy supported herself against a broken wall.

"Eighteen minutes left... We have to hurry... to protect Wendy and Carla's guild!" Happy spoke, shaking and heaving loudly.

"My telepathy will... cut off very soon. I sent a map into your heads... It's got a number assigned for each lacrima... You need to each choose one."

Natsu picked the first lacrima. Gray chose the second. Lucy chose three. Karissa picked four. Erza claimed the fifth. And some unknown voice that was cut off by Erza took the last lacrima. Not long after, Hibiki's telepathy was cut off which served as their cue to get moving. They all had to go down their chosen path and do their task. If anyone came face to face with Zero, then, unfortunately, they would have to deal with him on their own.

...

...

...

It took some time, but I finally made it.

Karissa sat on the floor and stared at the giant lacrima in the middle of the room. Her hair was all over the place after the encounter with Zero, Virgo's work all ruined. Oh well. Her fingers played with her bangs as she waited for the time to attack. There was only three minutes left. She could feel the place shaking, someone was in the middle of fighting against Zero. Whoever it was, they needed to make sure to defeat him in time. It was their only chance because they wouldn't be able to communicate with each other for another attempt.

The young Sinclost stood up when the countdown from twenty second began. It was time.

She dragged a foot back and put her fist in her palm. "Ice Make: Rime Cannon."

A large cannon of ice materialized and landed on her shoulder. She got into position and pointed it directly at the lacrima orb.

5...

4...

3...

2...

1...

he cannon fired off a cannonball the flew directly at the lacrima and shattered it into pieces. Weakened by Zero's earlier assault, Karissa all but tripped backwards from the recoil and fell on her rear.

"It's over..." she breathed; she dropped her head with a relieved smile. She could finally rest and the mission was finally over and done with. No more Oración Seis trying to wreak havoc on the world.

That is until she noticed something climbing towards the place where the lacrima was once intact. A person.

Hystoran?! How did he get in here?!

Karissa flinched when she felt the place rumble. The roof was beginning to crack. The pale man shoved his hand into a device situated on the pillar and just sat there while the place began to collapse. He was still in the same state that she left him in, injured with dried blood on his skin and clothes.

"W...What are you doing?!"

Hystoran winced. "Brain told me to give power to Nirvana just in case... but I don't think it'll be enough." He spoke, his face looking weaker as seconds passed. He laughed an empty laugh and stared down. "... It's fine though."

It was pointless to try to act as a lacrima when everything else was destroyed. Karissa's eyes widened when she realized what was happening. It's draining him rapidly... He's going to kill himself!

What was she supposed to do?! The place was collapsing around her but Hystoran was in front of her practically killing himself because Brain asked him to?!

The black haired girl evaded a falling rock and stared at Hystoran who wouldn't budge. Surely he knew that doing that was going to kill him!

"You're going to die!" Karissa shouted at him. He was her enemy, yes. But she wasn't so heartless that she'd let him die because someone practically ordered him to. She bit her lip. She decided to run to him. But before she could get any closer to him, black vector arrow pierced the ground in front of her, causing her to stop and almost trip.

"Don't come near me."

Her eyes stared at him in disbelief. "Don't you want to live?!"

Hystoran smiled weakly at her, his life slipping away in front of her eyes. "Funny. Why do you care?"

Why do I... care?

"Because... you should live a long life... and die a good death! This isn't not good!"

He stared at her with his lifeless eyes and said hollowly, "But I want to die. I don't want anything else from this world."

She didn't know what to say in response to that. Her head turned up when she heard something fall. A gasp escaped her when a saw saw a giant piece of the roof falling. At the last second, she jumped back to avoid it. When she looked back up, Hystoran was slumping on the pillar until he just fell on his side. He died or he passed out, she wasn't sure. But she couldn't spend her time thinking about it because she was going to die under the rubble if she stayed any longer.

I need to get out of here!

Karissa flung herself out of the lacrima room with wind before a giant pillar sealed the entrance. With no more power left, she had to run on foot to make it out of the collapsing city.

...

...

...

Nirvana collapsed, but everyone made it out safely along with people who were not included in the destruction of the six lacrima: Hot Eye, Ichiya Jura... and Jellal. She nearly attacked Hot Eye for that earlier trap they walked into if it weren't for Jura coming to his defense. According to Hot Eye, he never contacted them through telepathy after his defeat against Midnight. In fact, the man didn't even know how to do telepathy. That just left them with the conclusion that it was someone else who led them into a trap. Who? It didn't matter.

Presently, they were all just whispering about Jellal who stood far from the group. According to Wendy, he lost his memories. She even assured that, deep down, Jellal was a good person. It was Karissa's first time seeing him in person. However, Karissa didn't really pay attention to their conversation. She just stood there, lost in her own thoughts, listening to Hystoran's final words echoing in her mind.

It was bothering her.

"Karissa-dono? What is the matter?" Jura spoke when he noticed the tension on her face. The black haired girl blinked in surprise and looked the Lamia Scale member who looked concerned. Hot Eye, whose real name was Richard, was also looking at her curiously. Gray and Lucy looked at their friend when they heard Jura ask.

Maybe...

There wouldn't be any point in asking... but...

She placed an awkward hand on the side of her neck and stroked the patch of skin behind her ear with her pinky. "Um... Hot Eye..."

"Please, call me Richard!" he beamed a smile.

"... Uh, right, Richard..." Karissa's gaze slid away from his overly friendly one. "Who was Hystoran?"

Richard blinked in surprise. "Hystoran?" he repeated. "Why do you ask?"

She paused for a moment, unsure how to proceed with her explanation. "... After I destroyed the lacrima orb, he tried to make Nirvana function by acting as a lacrima... but he died in there when it rapidly drained him. He said... he didn't want to live anymore."

Hearing that, Lucy held up a hand to her mouth with a small gasp. "... Suicide?"

"Why would he do that?" Gray knitted his brows in confusion. He glimpsed at Karissa who he saw bite the inside of her bottom lip with knitted brows.

Richard lowered his gaze sadly and heaved out a sigh. "Poor Hystoran." he had a sad frown on his lips. "He wasn't really a bad person, you know? From what I recall, Brain told us that he had bought him somewhere in a black market outside of Fiore three years ago. He sensed that Hystoran had a great amount of magic power. When Brain learned that Hystoran was a little unstable from a trauma, he used to advantage. He followed Brain's orders because Brain gave him a purpose, that's what Hystoran told me when I would teach him how to write."

Jura crossed his arms. "He was illiterate?"

"Yes. I was tasked by Brain to teach him how to write since he had already learned how to speak and read two years ago. He did not speak our language when Brain found him. He spoke an ancient one that has long been forgotten today."

"Rogue?" Lucy wondered curiously.

"I could not say." Hot Eye shook his head.

Karissa wasn't sure how to feel with this new information. Maybe not knowing about him at all would have made things easier on her heart. She felt bad. He was put on the black market threes years ago? Just how bad was his life prior to standing with the Oración Seis? What exactly happened to him for him have trauma?

"I think his final act is going to haunt me." Karissa admitted while rubbing her face. She didn't like this. "I tried to help him... but he refused. And then I just saved myself." she lowered her hand and stared at it. Should she have done more to help him? But what could she have done in a place where everything was collapsing?

"I too wished that I could have helped him." Richard admitted sadly. "Unfortunately, we cannot help those who refuse to receive help, it is difficult, even more so in the predicament that you were in. However, I want to believe that Hystoran felt some type of gratefulness to your attempt to help after all that he went through." Richard placed a hand on his heart.

Jura placed a hand on her shoulder as she gazed at the ground. "What matters is that you tried to lend a hand. You might have regretted it if you did not try reaching for him at all."

"Yeah. His death isn't your fault either." Gray told her when she looked at him with a slight crestfallen look while she lowered her hand to her side. Her dark brown eyes gave away the regret she felt. As he exhaled through his nose, he placed a hand on her head to try and calm her mind. She just blinked and then looked away from his dark blue hues. What could he do to make her feel better about this? He didn't want to see her look like this over something she couldn't control.

"Still..." Lucy looked away, looking slightly troubled. "To see someone go out like that in front of you..."

Karissa expelled a sigh out of pure exhaustion and sympathy for Hystoran. She could only imagine what kind of life Hystoran had before becoming Brain's puppet. The world and its people can be cruel to unlucky ones, leading to horrible damage to one's life. She could only be grateful that her grim experiences were nothing compared to others who went through worse.

Lucy patted and rubbed her back knowing that Karissa was obviously rattled by the sight. Karissa blinked and slowly looked at her with melancholy. It was really going to be a while until she could tuck away the memory of Hystoran's death.

"Meeen!"

Everyone jerked their head forward to find buffed up Ichiya pressed up against... an invisible wall? He was fidgeting in his spot.

"What is it?"

"I thought I'd release some perfume in the bushes when I ran into something!"

Karissa spotted something on the ground. Why were there runes all around them? They were all trapped inside runes. Before they could panic, an army of Rune Knights came waltzing into their view. A man with dark green hair wearing glasses at the front of the group assured them that their goal was not violence, but simply a method to keep them all in place for a short while.

"I am the commander of the Fourth Custody Enforcement Unit for the Reformed Magic Council. My name is Lahar. We have been reformed to protect justice and the law. We will not permit any evil upon this land."

Karissa stared blankly at the men facing her. That was rather fast... I thought it'd take a couple more months for it to be reformed.

"But we haven't done anything evil!" Happy raised his voice, unhappy with the potential result of being confined.

Lahar nodded. "I am well aware of that. We are here to arrest the Oración Seis." Lahar pointed a finger at Richard who stiffened behind Jura. "Now, I urge you to hand over the one codenamed 'Hot Eye' immediately."

Jura was quick to try and stop his arrest, but Richard held him back. He chose to accept his arrest and start over, a clear demonstration of his desire to walk in the light. Apparently, Jura had offered to search for his brother who was actually revealed to be one of Erza's friends back in the Tower of Heaven. Hot Eye was at ease knowing that his younger brother was living a healthy life traveling the continent.

As everyone watched him walk to the prison carriage, Ichiya begged Lahar to take down the Jutsu Shiki before he pissed or crapped himself, a show that no one was excited to watch. Karissa didn't want to see an extremely muscular man dirty himself in front of her.

"No, we have a goal much greater than something as puny as the Oración Seis." He narrowed his eyes at the group and pointed his finger, again, directly at Jellal this time. "One of you infiltrated the council and brought down Etherion! The worst, most evil of villains is standing there! It's you, Jellal! Surrender! We already have orders to kill you if offer any resistance!"

Natsu and Wendy objected to his arrest but Lahar wouldn't hear it. "That man is dangerous. He must never be allowed to roam free in this world ever again!"

Karissa silently watched as Jellal allowed them to cuff his hands, his face looking rather solemn. He didn't put up a fight as they walked him to the carriage. Her eyebrows knitted. She was always rational about things. Jellal was known as a dangerous man, yes. But, didn't he just help the world by stopping something that was far more dangerous? Shouldn't there be some type of exception to it? Anything at all that would make his sentence lighter? She knew he was going to be arrested no matter what but there just had to be a way to give him one that didn't mean he would remain imprisoned forever.

Natsu took action. He lunged at a Rune Knight and forced him out of the way. "I'm not letting him go anywhere!" he roared, shoving aside several knights.

Karissa grimaced. "Natsu...!" she hissed. The act of going against the government, especially a strict one, was a bad move.

"Natsu!" Gray didn't like where this was going.

"You're up against the Council!" Lucy reminded him, scared and shocked.

Everyone aside from Natsu had their shoes glued to the ground by the law.

"Outta my way!"

"That man is in league with him!" Lahar raised his voice. "Arrest him!" he commanded which led to all the Rune Knights trying to pin him down. All the knights began to move on his order. They were going to throw Natsu in jail. That did it. They couldn't just sit back and watch any longer as Natsu expressed their silent thoughts. Arresting Jellal like that was wrong. It wasn't fair. Everyone aside from Erza assisted Natsu by fighting off the Rune Knights that tried to stop him from reaching Jellal.

I can't believe I'm doing this!

Karissa kicked away a Rune Knight off Natsu, creating a domino effect with the knights behind the one she kicked.

"Arrest them all! Arrest them for obstructing government officials and aiding in the escape of a criminal!" Lahar bellowed his order. The Rune Knights came lunging at them with magic knowing that the allied forces were weakened.

Karissa shoved a knight off Lucy and Happy. "It's over!" A Rune Knight restrained Karissa who just walked backwards and rammed him into a rock behind them. "Get off me!"

She saw Jura outright backhand a knight out of his way in her peripheral vision.

"Enough!" Erza's voice boomed with power, causing everyone, even the Rune Knights, to freeze. Her allies were staring at her as she took in a deep breath. The scarlet haired woman looked Lahar and apologized. "I take full responsibility. You have Jellal, take him away." She spoke firmly without a shred of hesitation, and yet everyone could tell how much it pained her to say those words. She was letting go of the person who regained his previous self, the person who was dear to her.

It was done. Jellal was arrested, and their mission was over.

...

...

...

The dawn of a new day came.

Erza took some time alone for herself while the others took that time to search for the rest of their allies that crashed with Christina. Karissa and Happy were the ones that searched together to find them by soaring in the air. With the help of the others, they were able to dig out their allies from the wreckage.

Except for Lyon and Ren, the others were still out cold but fortunately alive. With Wendy's suggestion, they all went to Cait Shelter for treatment where they were greeted by Wendy's master, Robaul. The old man was quick to ask his guild to help treat the wounded. After everything they went through, they needed to rest, heal and eat.

As Karissa followed the girls that brought Sherry, Erza and Lucy into a tent for their wounds, she thought back to the beginning to the mission. It was what her mind automatically wanted to think of. Moments of everything that happened the whole day appeared in brief flashes. Then it came to a stop somewhere. It stopped when remembered what she had successfully pushed out of her mind up until now.

Clavis.

Right...

Karissa tightly clenched her teeth. She missed her chance. She could have asked Hot Eye another question before he got arrested. Maybe he would have known why Brain knew that name in the first place. This was going to be another thing that will haunt her mind, she wasn't going to have an answer as to why Brain knew the name Clavis.

No, it's too soon to think about this.

Keep it out mind for a little longer...

Just...

Don't think about the dead.

You might not see it, but in the cover of this story, Karissa has two moles on the left side of her face. One on her chin and the another at least two centimeters away from the corner of her mouth. Why do I point this out? To try and make things obvious in the next chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 21.5K 131
Her blue eyes flickered over to her husband with a soft expression on her face, despite the bad things that had happened before, she knew that withou...
36 1 4
"The more you deny love, the stronger it becomes. The closer you draw to it, the more challenging it becomes to evade. Once you accept it, there is n...
20.2K 738 19
Natsu and Gray's constant fighting causes them to mess up a job. Erza is fed up and purchases a potion to make them get along temporarily in the hope...
79.8K 1.8K 20
You are a fire mage with unusual fire magic. You make the fire take shape and smell and taste like different things. (For example you can make a fire...