She's a Challenge | 5sos AU

By Liadne_14

"You're a challenge I gladly accept." He smiled. Lola Heart, a complex girl that no one has really figured ou... More

Prologue
Heartless Lola
Get a Clue
Lost
Group Therapy
Not A Date
Shots
Mr. Popular
A Challenge
No Option
Never Have I Ever
Fairness
Mission
Space
Thief
No Fighting
Probable Regret
The Reason
Advice
Repairing A Friendship
No Scars
Fights and Scolding
Muffins and Awkward Feelings
No Simplicity
Insecurities
Progress
Walking And Talking
Sweet Victory
Appearance
Ideas
Broken Promise
Banners and Stuffed Penguins
Day Gone Wrong
Troubles
What Falls, Breaks
A Day With Lulu
Threats
Problems
Revelation
Fortune Cookies
Broken
Time
New Start
Champagnes and Past Lovers
Epilogue
A/N

Comfort

787 43 0
By Liadne_14

Chapter 36: Comfort

I stared at him as he stared at the fridge. We heard laughter coming from the dining room, but all my focus was on him. He wasn't happy and that made me want to punch someone. While I'm in the kitchen, figuring out a way to calm him down, the new family is discussing the wedding.

"Why didn't they tell me?" He asked.

I sighed. "We didn't know that this was going to happen." I leaned on the counter in front of him and tried to get his attention.

"Someone should've at least told me," he said, clenching his jaw. "I've been blind sided." He mumbled.

"I'm sorry, Ash." I laid my hand on his.

It's been a while since he left Australia, that was all because of his parents divorce. Anne swore not to marry again, not after the train wreck of her first marriage. His dad was a drunk, went out every night and drove home drunk. His family was happy living here, getting away from the past while mine swallowed me up.

Now, he's mad. Anne told him that she was going over to a friend's house to dinner, never told him that she's engaged. Harry and Lauren knew, but Ashton hasn't had time to sit down and chat with his mom.

I walked over to him, putting my arm around as he rested his head on my shoulder. "You should go back in there." I rubbed his arm to comfort him.

"I can't believe they didn't tell me," he muttered for the hundredth time.

"Ash, you should go back in there."

"Sit with me?"

"I have to go take care of the other one." I laid my head on his. "I'll be down before you know it."

"I thought I was the one not taking this well." He chuckled. Sitting up straight.

My arm fell to my side as I smiled at him. "You're taking it better than he is. He doesn't take anything that deals with his dad well." I chuckled. "I'll be back."

He nodded, then went back into the dining room. I took a breath before heading upstairs. I'm surprised I haven't heard anything break yet. I cracked open his door to find him on the phone.

"I'm sorry, mom," he whispered. "I can't go through with it anymore. How could he do this to you?"

"Luke," I said, stepping into the room.

"I gotta go," he hung up the phone and pinch the bridge of his nose. I sat next to him, waiting for him to say something. He didn't, he just sat there while the laughter coming from below got louder.

"I'm sorry," I said rubbing his back.

"You have nothing to be sorry about," he said. He sucked in a breath, then sighed. "He should be sorry, he should've told me."

I rested my head on his shoulder and held his hand. He grabbed my legs and brought it over his lap. "What can I do to help?" I whispered, trying not to cause anything.

"Stay with me," he said sadly. I looked up at him and he looked like he was on the brink of crying. "Don't leave me."

"Luke, I won't leave you." I chuckled, holding his cheeks.

"Promise?"

I nodded. "I promise I won't leave you."

He cried on my shoulder, I was lost and confused. What happened? He was fine in the beginning of dinner, just keeping to himself. He stormed out when they said they're moving into Ashton's house, because there's more room. Maybe it was the conversation he had with his mom.

I wrapped my arms around him, shushing him. I shouldn't be shushing him, he probably has the right to cry. But it hurts to see him cry. He pulled away, wiping his tears. "I'm sorry." He hung his head. "I'm so sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry for. You don't have to apologize," I whispered, rubbing his back. We sat in silence for awhile. He was calming down, while I was still rubbing his back. What got him so emotional? "What did you mean by you can't go through with it anymore? Are you going back to Australia?"

He shook his head. "I just can't take the secrets, the lies anymore. I just want him to be honest or at least tell me what's going on."

I nodded. "Go get some rest, I'll be up after dinner."

"You said you won't leave me," he snapped.

"I'm just going to talk to them, I'm not leaving you." I laughed.

"Come up right when they leave." He demanded more than asked.

"I'll be here." I got up and moved his covers for him to get into. He took off his shirt and handed it to me to set on the nightstand.

"I'll sleep when you come up," he said before getting under the covers.

I nodded, understanding where he's coming from. I went downstairs, walking in on Ashton clearing the table.

"Lola," Anne chirped.

"How's Luke?" Mr. Hemmings asked. Even though I've been staying here for a week, I'm still not use to calling him Andrew.

"He's fine, going to bed soon." I shrugged. Anne patted the seat next to her. I smiled and took the seat. Ash appeared next to me with a smile. He has a plan whirling through his head, I know it. I know Ashton and when he smiles at me like that, something's up. "What?"

"I was wondering . . . " Anne lingered as she place her hand on mine.

"About?" I raised a brow.

"I need a maid of honor. I know I should be asking Lauren this, but I really want you to be my maid of honor." She smiled.

"Why me?"

"Since we moved here, you've changed our lives. Good and bad. The kids love you. You should me that I should keep going for what I want." She put her hand on Mr. Hemmings and smiled at him. "And you got Ashton out of his slump, even though he was the reason for it." She said the last part through her teeth.

"I was thirteen!" He defended himself.

I laughed while Ashton argued with her. Anne is the mother I never had. My mom isn't the ideal mother to me. Anne actually helps me, supports me and doesn't call a psychiatrist.

"I'll think about it," I said, cutting the two off.

Anne looked at me and smiled. "I'm not pressuring you, just let me know your decision."

"Also . . . " Mr. Hemmings drew out. "Since we're about to move into Anne's place, we were hoping you'd come to stay with us too."

"But you guys don't have any room," I said remembering that they each have their own rooms.

"Harry and Lauren agreed on sharing one room since Luke will be moving in. Since you sleep with Luke, we figured, you two can share." Anne shrugged.

"And if you two fight, you can come stay in my room," Ashton said, wriggling his brow.

"My sister found a place for me to stay at-"

"Lola, just say yes!" Harry and Lauren yelled.

I nodded, then slapped Ash. He cried in pain while I sat back and watched him rub his arm. "What was that for?" He asked.

"That's why you asked me to stay with you?" I scowled at him.

"What? It would've saved a lot of time."

Anne got up and slapped the back of his head. He cried in pain while Anne scowled at him. "You offered her to stay with us already?" She yelled at him.

"She was going to live on her own. I wasn't going to risk her getting hurt," he argued. "Now, can everyone stop hitting me?"

They argued for awhile, then went home soon after. I finally got the story on how Luke's dad can move on so fast from his mom. Anne and him were high school sweat hearts apparently. They broke up after high school, but never lost 'their love for each other'. When they saw each other a few months ago, their 'love' for each other, instantly came back and they decided to get married.

I went upstairs and found Luke fast asleep. I took one of his shirts and his boxers to the bathroom and changed. This was a usual thing for me now. Since I've been staying with Luke, I'd wear his clothes to bed. Once I got into bed, he shifted and grabbed me, hugging me tight.

"Goodnight, Heart," he mumbled.

"Night, piercings." I kissed his forehead and played with his hair.

(A/N): Hey guys, just letting you know that She's A Challenge has 8 more chapters to go. I know I'm going to miss writing this wonderful sad, beautiful, tragic fanfiction. Haha, Taylor Swift reference!

I'll have another story up, mostly likely over the summer. I don't know if I'll have time for a weekly update like I usually do.

Oh and I'm graduating next month. Yay, high school's almost over, but I start college right away *crying internally* There's going to be a lot happening over the summer and some surprises in store. So you should follow me on twitter or instagram to stay updated. You don't really have to.

Follow, Vote, and/or Follow!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 46 23
Sydney is the new girl at school. What will happen when she meets Calum hood This book will be updated weekly
7.4K 452 76
He's trying to save his band and his friendship from falling apart. She's a troublemaker who pushed her parents too far They have to spend 2 months...
2K 6 55
(Originally called Luke Hemmings but it's more about Michael now so I changed it) Luke Hemmings.....not that popular.... small group of friends.....h...
1.5K 80 48
When Alana moves to a different state (US), she is alone. She has no friends that live down the street anymore. When she starts the school year at a...