A Guild of Moonlit Shadows (A...

By _Sibylline_

This is the second book in the Assassins at Dusk series by _Sibyline_, read Assassins at Dusk before reading... More

Prologue
~1~We both have Questions and Answers
~2~Blondie?
~3~The Old Republic and Saying Goodbye
~4~Monsters take a Form
~5~The True Monster
~6~My Destiny is Mine alone to Make
~7~Standing Strong
Memes :)
~8~ What is its True Purpose?
~9~Your Life was always Mine.
~10~ Our Salvation or Damnation?
~11~There You Are...
AAD/GOMLS Memes & playlists cuz I promised to do them a while ago.
~12~Beyond Just You and Me
~13~Loyalty Unwavering
~14~Memories Woefully Untouched
~15~ Unfinished Business
~16~Kynareth is Growing Impatient.
~17~Murderers, Scoundrels, and Stubborn Feelings.
~18~ A New Hunt and Growing Plots
~19~ The Three Firenze Sisters
A Call for Home (Oneshot)
~20~Used and Abused
~21~Your Sister Needs You, Cynna
~22~Darker Minds are Easier to get Lost in
~23~ Let the Courtial Battle Begin
~24~ A Vicious Beast, Your Highness
~25~ Vanished Into Thin Air
~26~Cries Lost in the Wind
Act 2
memes & aesthetics cuz I feel bad
~1~Pinned Down and Manipulated
~2~ Losing Hope is for the Weak-Hearted
Other AAD series!
~3~The Old Kingdoms (+Q/A)
~4~Not a Kidnapping, but an Opportunity
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR MY AUTHORS.
~5~Lies, Questions, and Confusing Truths
I know im late a few days late, get off my ass
~6~Forgotten Bonds
I have an announcement!
7~Time to be Wicked, Youngling
~8~ Something in Common
~9~Our Family is Torn Again
Want to Become a Character? Here is your chance!
~10~ I was a Faceless Soldier
Our Homelands (100k Oneshot) PART 1
~11~ He Ran Away From Me
Our Homelands PART 2
~12~ One Hour
~13~ Allesandro's Secret
The Unlocked Review that I forgot to post... whoops.
~14~ A Traitorous Deal
~15~ The Gods Love their Pranks, Don't They?
~16~ The Smell of Metal and Incense
~18~Taking the Lead
~19~ Bloody Fingerprints (+Sims Photos!)
~20~ Our Saviours
~21~ Time to Come Clean
You're Telling Yourself Lies, Mr. Ignis. (Oneshot)
~22~ Always in Chains
~23~ The Forgotten Assassin
~24~ Choices, Choices, Fitzroy
~25~ Bargaining chips and Casino chips
~26~ Not the Smoothest Exit
~27~ Voices in my Head
~28~ Six Artifacts, Three Portals, and One Assassin.
~29~ Water, Birds, Smoke, and Memories
~30~ Kynareth's Wrath
~31~ Summoner of Storms
~32~ If Not Blur, then Who?
~33~ The Veiled Spy
~34~ A Pre-Wedding Scuffle
~35~ An Uninvited Guest
~36~ A Muddled Family Secret
Vote here folks
~37~ Movement
~38~ Violence
~39~ Consequences
~40~ Delusions
~41~ Watching
~42~ Abandoned
The Next Book in the Series...

~17~ A Loose Tongue

1K 23 41
By _Sibylline_

Ruy held the paper in the light, trying to figure out how Trix wrote the dots above his i's so he could replicate them perfectly. Nour was the best forger, but Ruy used to forge Gisela's signature on trade documents so the recruits could get booze and actually good food. And then Ruy could steal it for himself.

Trix, the stupid prick, had a very specific handwriting style that Ruy simply couldn't replicate. Ruy would have to find another way to complete his plan. Ruy stood, stretching his arms above his head as he yawned. Dom and Hathem were off somewhere probably sucking face. They would have privacy since most of the Castello was still in Cariana finishing training.

Ruy decided he wanted to take another round around the castle, trying to memorize every secret he could see. from the few people still in the Castello, it sounds like Vespera has returned from a trip today. Ruy was still yet to see her, however. It was unlike her. But it didn't feel like she was avoiding him. It's like he simply wasn't on her list of  But she needed him for something; he wouldn't be here just because she missed him. Ruy didn't exactly want to go seeking her out either. So doing his own thing and playing it by ear seemed like the best option.

Once he took his second round through the lower levels, he worked up to the massive courtyard. This is where Mansi, Nour, and Sophie riled up the crowds enough to escape when they were children from what he knows.

"Shh, he'll hear you!" A familiar voice hushed from the corner of the courtyard. Ruy stiffened, carefully pulling aside the shrubbery and staring at Seamus huddled near the ground. His uniform was crisply ironed but covered with dirt from squatting behind the bushes. His curly blond hair didn't match the cleanliness of his uniform and porcelain skin.

"Uh, what are you-" Ruy froze at the sight of two paws sticking out from underneath Seamus's jacket. Two paws that looked very familiar.

"What is that?" Ruy pointed to the paws.

Seamus's eyes tremored as he pursed his lips, "It's- uh, those are-" A meow cut him off.

Ruy straightened, "Open your jacket, Seamus."

"Well, take me to dinner first." Seamus awkwardly laughed, his voice squeaky.

"Seamus, open the jacket."

"No! They'll hurt her!"

"Seamus!" Seamus cringed when Ruy raised his voice, and he immediately felt awful. But Seamus silently opened the zipper of his jacket. And a kitten peaked out, big hazel eyes staring at him.

It was a mix of browns, cremes, and pure white. Its ears, paws, and tail were big for its size, but it was still pretty young. Ruy stared at Seamus in disbelief.

"I found her when I was scouting near Renusancha. I asked the locals about her, I had trouble understanding them because of their accents. But it seems like having big fluffy cats was a trend for a while among those nobles in Ranisancha, or however you say it. She was abandoned after her owners got over the trend."

Ruy was too lazy to correct him on his pronunciation of the Inalian city and too busy glaring at the cat. He finally placed where he recognized it when he saw the faint red staining the white fur poking out from her paws—the same red of the slime on that tree in Cariana.

"That's the animal that nearly took my face off in Cariana. In the jungle!" Ruy scrambled away from the cat, remembering the terror of watching the wild animal flying for his face. Seamus shushed Ruy, tucking the cat closer to his chest.

"Shh- SHH! She stowed away on our ship when we left. When we deboarded she followed me off the ship but got spooked and ran into the forest! I only got the red goo off her paws last night."

Ruy wasn't really listening. The intense stink eye he was giving the cat required all of his brain cells.

"Ruy, please, promise me you won't say anything. Please. I'll do anything." Now that got Ruy's attention. He crossed his arms, glancing around to make sure no one was listening.

"Anything, you say?"

Seamus didn't even realize his mistake, "Yeah, sure, anything."

Ruy looked at the cat, then to Seamus, then back to the cat. Okay. It seems like allying with Dom and Hathem wasn't in the cards, but Seamus could be useful.

"Meet me at the basement storeroom at midnight, and then I'll think about staying quiet. And keep that thing out of my room."

Dex polished the small silver ball, quickly shuffling to the front where Wylie Endal leaned against the counter.

"Here you go, man. You break that thing a lot you know.  I know it's a stress ball, but it is kinda fragile. Maybe get a more sturdy one?" Dex said, handing the ball to Wylie. He shrugged, squeezing it once or twice.

"I only like the denseness of this one. And you make it release a smell I like that no one else can replicate."

Dex shrugged as he wiped his hands off, "It's just a simple scent I picked up from that lady down the street. Fresh rain or something. But I'm glad I've made a returning customer out of you. If you don't mind me asking, why are you so stressed? Is the Council working you that hard?"

"No, surprisingly. I've just been working with the studying physician students since not a lot of them are flashers. Just the occasional call from disgruntled med students. But I've been getting overwhelmed by the smallest things. And don't even get me started on the headaches. This is the only thing that calms me down sometimes." Wylie tossed it around a little bit before sliding his stress ball into his bag. He tapped his small green cube against the register, transferring credits before waving goodbye. Dex watched him go before sighing and starting to clean up the counter. He got his own shop only a few blocks away from Slurps & Burps. He makes small inventions and helps tinker with everyday objects people bring in.

There was the gentle patter of rain outside. It made Dex think back to that tower in Inalia. He was in that tower for a while, but the patter of rain was something he distinctly remembered. It made the smell of rosemary and lemon verbena that much stronger. If Dex had never traveled to Inalia, he never would've noticed that Sophie smelt the same way. Always the faintest scent of rosemary or lemons. He could never reason why.

He never did apologize to her, did he? Though he believed he deserved at least something of an apology as well, Dex really stepped over a line when he was arguing with her. Blindly insulting her family was unjust. And though he was still uncomfortable with the whole assassin thing, he kept repeating that the Vatarian way of life is different from his.

He bonked his head on his counter right as new people walked in. He groaned as he got up, rubbing the back of his head, "Welcome! Sorry for the mess, still moving in and cleaning up of sorts-" His mother wrapped her arms around him, squeezing so tight she nearly killed him.

"Aw, look at you! With your own shop! You're all grown up!" Juline crossed her arms, "I don't know why you didn't continue to the Silver levels of Foxfire though, like the rest of your friends."

"Oh, mom, please don't start this."

"You could've been nobility! Had a swanky new name and a rad circlet!"

"Swanky? Rad? Mom, what on earth-"

"What? It's hip!"

"Maybe when you were young in ye olden days."

Juline crossed her arms, "Psh, fine. I'll just be the cranky boring mom since you're too cool for me."

Dex put his hands up in defeat, chuckling a bit, "Fair enough."

Dex hadn't even noticed his father enter his shop. Kesler was poking around the trinkets in the window display, humming in appreciation.

"Whatcha think?" Kesler jumped at his son's voice, even though he was in his store. Juline took a deep breath, "Your father has been a bit jumpy since the Matchmakers."

Dex tripped a bit when she said that. Had something happened? Another Neverseen attack? Those have been pretty under control ever since Sophie left for Inalia though, what could have happened? Wait, the triplets were right around the age to get their first scrolls. Were they incompatible because of Kesler? Shit, he personally never registered for that reason.

"I can already see your mind going crazy, Dex. No, the triplets are fine. They miss their big brother, but besides that, they're fine."

Dex's shoulders relaxed, "Well, then, what's going on?"

Kesler and Juline glanced at each other, "All couples who were deemed unmatchable due to ability incompatibilities or simply talentless, well, we were all sent a message on our imparters." Kesler pulled up the message before handing it to Dex.

From here on out, all elven couples deemed bad matched due to abilities or lack thereof are deemed acceptable by the Atlantian Matchmaking Offices of the Lost Elven Cities. The only reason a couple will be named a bad match is for genetic relation to one another.

Thank you for your understanding.

Dex just blinked at the imparter, his mouth dangling open. The matchmaking process has never changed, not once, over the thousands of years of Elven existence. Yet all of a sudden, they make such a drastic change out of the blue with no warning?

"Your father still thinks it is some kind of prank." Juline snorted.

"Oh don't give me that Juline. This is crazy! The matchmakers are changing their rules! That has never happened, once, ever!"

"I know that, but I'm not going to complain about it!"

Kesler grumbled as he pocketed his imparter, distrust apparent in his eyes.

Dex leaned forward on his counter, smiling at his parents. They deserved this. Though love was no limitation in their house, the BAD MATCH seemed to loom over the Dizznee family for far too long.

"Well, I agree with mom. This seems like a great thing!" Dex smiled as Juline linked an arm with her husband, who rubbed the back of his neck.

"Maybe I am being a bit paranoid."

Dex smiled, grabbing a cloth from beneath the counter and wiping away some oil that began to stain the birch wood, "Though I don't love your visits, I was coming over for dinner tonight. I would've found out about the Matchmakers one way or another."

Juline pouted, "You see that? Now that he has moved out he is over us. Hates us, even!"

"Mom, that's unfair and you know it."

Kesler interjected, "Your friends are actually at Slurps & Burps. They caught us on our way out and asked us where you were. We said we were gonna stop by the boutique near your shop but we could leave a message for you." Kesler leaned forward, "It seemed desperate."

Dex looked at his mother.

"Black Swan?" He mouthed, wondering if it had something to do with his mother's rebel group. But she shook her head.

"It seems like a personal matter." Was all she said. They both waved as they left the store, trying to keep the visit short and sweet.

A little earlier than normal, Dex closed up shop and quickly made his way to Slurps & Burps. He slid his emergency key into the lock and tried to remain as diligent as possible. It seems this meeting was without the Council's knowledge, and he wanted to keep it that way. He heard their whispering voices upstairs, leaving his imparter and other devices downstairs, just to make sure no one was tapping into them.

Dex opened the door, ready for some awful, miserable news. But Keefe's casual laugh made Dex double take.

"Holy shit-" Dex pushed open the door all the way, everyone in the small room jumping.

"Dexinator!" Keefe laughed as he hugged Dex.

"When the hell did you get here man? We've been worried sick!"

"The Neverseen got me after the Conference. I was cooped up with, guess this, Ruy Ignis."

Dex cringed at the name. He may still not like him, but Sophie trusted him.

"How did that happen?" Dex asked. The crew looked at one another, and Biana shuffled a bit on the couch, patting for him to take a seat.

"Keefe has been filling us in. The Assassins are struggling from what we know." Fitz sighed.

Dex awkwardly sat down next to Biana, his spine as stiff as a board as Keefe flopped into a chair.

"Well, now that we are all here, I guess I should start from the beginning."

The simple things in life are what Sophie truly enjoyed. Even though the boat's swaying did nothing to help the Nilfa blood that poisoned her, the cream-colored sheets were so soft. As if they were weaved from the clouds themselves. And the perfume that still clung to Maha as she carefully tried to patch her up was a bit less overwhelming, now a sweet song of scent. Or maybe that was her sense of smell going away.

"I can't just pull the poison out like the Nifla, it would harm you. But once I do get it all out, you should recover quickly."

Sophie's tongue felt like a sponge in her mouth. She just smiled a bit, stuffing her head further into her pillow. Her eyes struggled to remain open, but she could see her long hair splayed over the sheets. She missed her blonde, to be honest. Red hair didn't fit her the same way that golden blonde did. She liked to brush it and braid it, watch it grow longer with each day.

And every time she looked at the red staining her strands, she kept imagining her father's blood dripping down it.

No, she didn't like the red one bit.

"Amalia, did you hear me?" Sophie weakly turned her head to Maha, giggling slightly as her friend's fingers grazed against the dip of her hip.

"Aw, he loves to hold me there." Sophie giggled, her toes curling. Maha stopped, her hands pulling the Nilfa blood out of her system frozen in the air.

"H-Huh?" Maha stuttered.

Sophie cocked an eyebrow, "Ruy, you silly goose. He wraps his arms around my waist when he thinks no one is looking. He'll even place a kiss on my cheek or under my ear if I'm lucky." Sophie glanced out the small porthole window, past Maha's face of pure shock, to look at the rising sun.

"Is it morning time? I should go train, a-and I also should pick up the groceries. I want to get the good veggies before that jerk Ulca gets them. He is my neighbor, you know? I think Ulca's little boy has a crush on Lilac actually-"

"Amalia, back up. What were you saying about Ruy?"

Sophie pouted, "What about him?"

"Wait, are you and Ruy seeing each other?"

"Psh, yeah. I've been crazy about him for... gods, I don't think I even know. The last couple of weeks back though, that is when we admitted it and had all that confessional bullshit- you know, I think I first started getting all giddy about him when he first memorized how I like my coffee. Every morning after training, I would go into the kitchens for a snack. He was always in there, helping Filomena with the morning breakfast rush. And he always made my coffee just how I like it."

Sophie tried to take a deep breath, hoping for the salty air, but instead got the taste of metal as she coughed. Maha held her down as she carefully pulled more blood out of her system.

"Maha, I don't like that- it hurts." Sophie whispered.

"The poison is making your tongue loose. I'm just trying to get you back to normal before you say something you regret."

"I don't regret anything about Ruy."

Maha remained quiet, "Have you gone on a date?"

Sophie tried to remember the softness of her sheets once again as she nodded, "He brought me to a concert in Paris, the human city I was hidden in after the Fall. It was two of my favorite bands. We got crepes, got a little tipsy, ran away from some cops. Truly a man of romance, that one." Sophie continued to ramble, trying to fight the pain growing in her abdomen, "We haven't gotten the chance to go on a second one, but I want to go somewhere fancy. I even asked Maria to make me a cute little dress for it. I was planning on asking him after the Conference."

"Really? What did you have in mind?" Maha asked, flicking her wrist as she sucked out a large glob of blue blood. Sophie knew Maha was asking to keep her distracted and curiosity getting the better of her, but she didn't mind talking. For once, her tongue was so loose, she didn't care what slipped.

"Palazo de Seirína. It's an amazing restaurant built in the cliffsides above the coast. Apparently, Maria and Filomena went there for their first date. My dress, I wanted it to be the sea-green of the ocean, with long pretty lace sleeves. Just like the ballerinas had in the magazines I looked at when I was little. I wanted it to be low cut as well, make Ruy squirm a bit. As revenge for all that flirting during missions when we probably shouldn't have been flirting."

Sophie swallowed the bile in her throat before continuing, "It would've gone to the floor. I like how long dresses tickle my legs when I walk and dance. Maria wanted to put a leg slit, but I was apprehensive. The dress was mostly her idea, even though she had no idea what it was for, she had to reassure me the whole time. I'm too tall and my muscles are too big. I thought my biceps would tear through the little lace sleeves I wanted, but Maria insisted. I have an hourglass figure of sorts, but never like the smooth-skinned girls in Renisanca. Or the petite hourglasses that the elves do. I thought it would make me look ugly, to have a dress like this. Or maybe we could go to a club in the human cities. I could wear that black body-con dress at the back of my closet. That one would be a bit more forgiving of my muscles-"

Sophie gasped as Maha pulled out too much Nilfa blood, her own blood pooling out a little too fast. Maha spat an Avriman curse, grabbing a white towel and staining it red as she applied pressure to Sophie's wound. Sophie watched the red leak through the white towel, her lip involuntarily quivering. She always loved white flowers when she was little, now she can't even look at one without imagining it red. Blood dripped off its petals and splashed onto the burnt grass around it. First, it was her father's blood, then it was Cynna's, then Luram Bak's, then it was the blood of her Assassins that died during the Battle of Foxfire. The same ones she promised into her brotherhood, who swore under their creed and broke bread with their shield siblings.

So many people lay beside that white flower, the blood growing thicker and heavier with each. The weight began to make the flower crumble in its garden.

Sophie didn't know if it was the Nilfa blood or another panic attack, but the image kept creeping in. Cynna dying in her arms, pleading for forgiveness. Her father's body tumbling off that fallen marble building, Elrond's ashen wings blocking out the red sun.

But it was her own body that made her finally sob. She watched it like she was a bird circling overhead, getting closer and closer. Her eyes were dead, her chest didn't move, blood came out of her nose, her lips, her knuckles, her bashed knees. Her arm bent at an awful angle.

Her lips were parted. Amalia Hera Morretti's lips were parted, the world waiting for something to escape them. But thick black blood took the place of her accented words.

"Come on Amalia, stay awake. Tell me more!" Maha said.

"I-I don't like the red, Maha. Please."

Maha looked at the towel and nodded, tucking it underneath her cot as she rushed to pull the last of the Nilfa blood out. She used to love red, but after Cynna, she couldn't stand to look at it anymore. Cynna's blood wasn't blue, like the other Nilfa. Hers was red, through, and through.

Sophie's tongue no longer muttered nonsense, and with a final flick of Maha's hand, the last of the Nilfa poison was out. Maha breathed in relief, slowly bandaging the wound.

"The bite itself isn't that bad, you should be in fighting shape in a couple of hours." Maha helped lean Sophie all the way down.

"I will come get you once we arrive."

"Maha?"

Maha looked over her shoulder, her hair trinkets clinking as they hit one another.

"Thank you. For everything."

Maha shone a gentle smile, "Of course."

Sophie leaned all the way into her sheets and pillows, pushing the red hair out of the way so she wouldn't have to look at it as she let the world melt away.

Alexios's neck was sore and cracked in an awful way when he rolled it out. He blinked awake, shaking himself out. He was tied to a chair, thick ropes binding his arms behind his back. Mansi and Alvar were in the same predicament, but they were still asleep. Shit, Mansi is carrying. This can't be good for her. The room they were in was simple brown rock, gently lit by braziers.

"Mansi, Alvar, come on guys. We need to move-"

"They aren't going to wake up. Not until I want them too." Alexios froze at her voice. The Pythia emerged from the darkness, surrounded by her two head priests.

Alexios groaned, slumping in his chair, "Listen, lady, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings-"

"What do you know?" She started.

Alexios rolled out his shoulders, "Welp, I know that you sold out very important Oracle business to the Esposita. And this just proves that you are hiding something. Something I need to find."

"Why do you want the Observatory?" The Pythia barked.

Alexios leaned back in his chair, the Pythia pursing her lips.

"So it's called the Observatory, then? This place beneath your temple?"

The Pythia straightened, her hands clasped so tight her knuckles turned white.

"Answer my question. Why do you want the Observatory?"

Alexios clenched his jaw. He didn't know how Allesandro knew this place and who knew his investigation into it. He would have to be careful not to let anything slip.

"A lead into a private contract given to my guild."

"This is a far way to go just for some measly contract."

"Failing contracts isn't good for business."

The Pythia began to pace, the gentle glow of the dying braziers making her features that much sharper.

"What kind of contract is it? Assassination? Blackmail?"

"Whatever you have hidden sounds mighty important. I was gonna call it a day when you kicked us out, but now I'm simply curious!" THat's putting it lightly. The two priests stepped closer to Alexios, reminding him how easily the two of them threw him out. This wasn't some normal shakedown. The Pythia was protecting something. Alexios flicked his wrist as far as he could with his restraints, luckily enough for his hidden blade to release from his gauntlets.

He let the cool facade fade away into something almost tired and cold. This was normally how his sister got information, but it was definitely effective.

"What is in the Observatory?"

"You are in no place to be asking questions."

"Let me ask again. Slower, this time?" Alexios leaned forward, his blade almost completely through his ropes, "What is in the Observatory?"

The Pythia chuckled, "You think some scary words will frighten me, Yfantís?"

"Yfantís?" Alexios questioned. The Pythia's eyes widened just slightly, but she shrugged.

"Sorry, Ganalo slips through sometimes. He says things beyond mortal understanding."

"Oh cut the crap- I don't believe in your damn predictions!" Alexios snapped. The Pythia raised an eyebrow, a sinister smirk on her face. Beside him, one of the priests cracked his knuckles. Alexios stared up at the guy, biting back his retort. That man-made Alexios look like a toothpick.

Alexios looked around, noting the rock once again. It was the same rock that Adonis's Isle was built upon.

He side-eyed the Pythia, "Where am I?"

The Pythia didn't answer.

Alexios clenched his jaw, a strained thin of a smile the only thing he could manage, "My holiness. Are we in the Observatory right now?"

She looked Alexios up and down then gave a nod to the priests. They grabbed the back of his chair, leaning him back. Alexios's breathing hiked as his fleet departed from the ground, dangling on the two back legs of the chair. He glanced behind him, shivering when a gust of airbrushed his back.

"Oh shit, okay." He glared at the priests holding his chair, "You two are very bad priests. This isn't very virtuous of you." Neither of them responded.

Alexios sighed, "Put me down, you morons. Crazy lady, what do you want?"

The priests looked to the Pythia for confirmation, and she nodded, allowing them to put Alexios down. The Pythia's smooth sandals barely scuffed the floor as she got into his face.

"I wouldn't mind watching you croak to be honest."

Alexios's eye twitched, clenching his jaw. Godly messenger or not, he would smack her upside the head if she wants to keep being cocky like this.

"You have a piece of spinach between your teeth." He sighed nonchalantly.

The Pythia snarled, her amber hair shipping around as she stalked the other way. Alexios was tempted to ask why she hated the Assassins so much. Mansi's mumbling quickly made him change his priorities.

"The woman is pregnant and my friend over there is the father. They aren't a part of this. Let them go."

"I can't do that."

"Why not."

"They know too much."

"Let. Them. Go."

"Tell me why you want the Observatory first."

"I'm warning you woman. Let us walk out of here."

The Pythia looked as if she were giving it some thought, but her answer was the same.

"No."

Alexios lost his patience. He sawed through the last bit of the ropes, flying up from the chair. He ducked underneath the fists of the priests and grabbed the Pythia. The Holy Messanger screamed as Alexios slammed her against the wall, his blade pointed for her stomach.

"You Morrettis! Selfish barbarians, all of you! Let me go, Ganalo's wrath will be-"

"Don't take another step!" Alexios roared at the priests. The two dark-robed men stopped in their tracks, spying the blade he held to the Pythia.

"I'm done asking. You are going to bring me further into the Observatory and explain to me what it is. Meanwhile, your lapdogs are going to bring my friends to a safe location and leave them alone."

The Pythia snarled at him, trying to get out of his grip. But he wasn't allowing it.

"Do as I say or I swear to the gods-"

"Fine!" The Pythia looked over Alexios's shoulder, "Bring them to the river banks and wake them. Do not let them know it was you."

The priests looked ready to argue but smartly knew fighting their Pythia on this was a bad idea.

The bigger one tapped their foot against one of the walls, the rock slab crumbling up, revealing an exit. The bigger one took Mansi carefully in his arms, minding her baby bump. The other one threw Alvar over his shoulder like a sack of old gym equipment. Alexios watched as they disappeared, smiling at them until they disappeared on the other side of the rock door.

Alexios turned to the Pythia, "Now, the Observatory, please? My holiness?"

Sophie mumbled awake, wiping the drool from her mouth as she sat upright. She twisted a bit, rolling her shoulders out. She could barely feel the bite at all! It just tingled at worst. She didn't remember much besides seeing Maha juice those Nilfa like oranges, then her memory goes hazy.

Sophie easily dressed, opting for one of the olive lantern sleeve blouses with a brown abdomen-styled corset. It was very similar to what she wore in Inalia. If she knew this was in her quarters, she would've changed before the mission to avoid walking around in that squalor she called clothing. After stepping into her leggings and boots, she began to the upper deck. She passed a couple of the sailors on her way up, ready to return their snarls and snarky comments. But none of them did either of those things. A couple nodded to her with a smile, a couple gave her well wishes, one even saluted her the way her men do.

Sophie wandered above the lower quarters and onto the upper deck. She spied Maha playing mahjong with Zao and two other sailors. She came up behind her friend, "I didn't know you played. I'm awful at it."

Maha spun around, "You're okay!" Maha wrapped her arms around Sophie, nearly bringing them both down. Sophie laughed, tightly hugging her back before peeking over at the game.

"James has been kicking all of our butts for the past two hours." Zao shrugged, pointing to the sailor who sported a cheeky smile. The same sailor that was giving them trouble when they first stepped on the ship. The sun had set, but no one was sleeping. They were drinking and laughing with another, loud tales recounted amongst them.

"It's cheery. Not exactly what I was expecting." Sophie said, smiling a bit.

"We really appreciate the help, miss." James coughed as he took in a bit too much smoke from his cigarette, "Sorry about the way we treated you at first, we are just some jumpy folk. We don't trust outsiders."

"It's fine. I've handled worse than a few insults."

"Not to mention the rumors about you make it seem like you were sent by the gods themselves." James laughed, "Could you imagine?"

Sophie forced an awkward laugh, "Yeah, that would be ridiculous- is that ale you are drinking?"

James glanced in his tankard as if he didn't know himself, "Uh, yeah! We busted out the good stuff. Talk to Henry if you want some." Sophie spun, spying a man missing his left eye handing out large tankards of ale. Maha, who had returned to her mahjong game, "Amalia, no ale. Not while we're on a contract."

"So I'm hearing one tankard of ale. Got it." She sped off to get a mug filled to the brim, knocking it against Henry's before taking a large swig. Though it was nothing fancy, gods, it hit the spot. Soon, she was leaning against the railing of the ship and laughing with the other sailors, waving her hands as she enraptured them in the tale of her and Alexios discovering a hidden shipwreck off the Inalian coast.

"My brother and I never swam so fast in our lives. That shipwreck remains there to this day, the sharks defending it from the shadows beneath the waves."

"Y-You assassins are rowdddyy bunch. Did you really kick the Neverseen out of Inalia?!" One of the drunk sailors asked.

Sophie puffed her chest in pride, "That we did."

The sailors laughed and whistled, Sophie taking an over-dramatic bow.

"Those asses had it comin!"

"As you should, lady!"

Sophie never knew the compliments of a drunk crown of pirates would make her blush.

"Awe, you are too kind. But yeah, we're kind of a bunch of baddasses." She boasted, flipping her hair over her shoulder. The sailors whooped and hollered once again, but the curt call of her name made it all die away.

"Amalia!" Maha called. Sophie peaked over the mass of pirates.

"Yeah?"

"Look!" Sophie pushed past her new sailor buddies to the hull of the ship, her eyes straining in the distance. They were finally approaching Okoye's island. The outline of the smallish island would've been hard to see at night time.

But the fires burning the island down made it as clear as day. The smoke flushed into the cool ocean air. The red and orange flames didn't compare to the sound of fighting on the other side of the island. She was having so much fun, she didn't even notice it! Sophie sobered up almost immediately. The crew all turned to her and Maha for their orders, their shock quieting them so fast it was like they weren't there at all.

Sophie called over the men, "Extinguish all the lights and get down! We're going in!"

Sophie is tall and super muscly! If any of you have seen the Legend of Korra, she has Korra's body type. And though Sophie is confident in herself, this chapter was a little reminder that even assassin queens get a little insecure :)

Please remember to vote, comment, share, and follow!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 67 14
*DISCONTINUED* amazing cover made by @aprilbluess!!! this book will be deleted on 4/9/2023
22.6K 868 37
Brianna is a sixteen year old girl who has a very over protective brother Andy Biersack (nineteen years old). He will do anything he can to help his...
101K 1.2K 21
This is your classic Percabeth meets mortals. I know it's cliche, but I really like reading these and I hope you do to!
31.4K 1.6K 41
After the loss and demise of their family business, Seo Y/N's family was confronted with financial difficulties. Her family was unable to pay for the...