Meant To Be

By Hash_Browniez

When Naina Mittal walks into the pristine Headquarters of The Maurya Group, one of the world's largest conglo... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
❇️ SYNOPSIS ❇️
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
🕯️ शुभ दीपावली 🕯️
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
In The Loving Memory
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29: Sneak Peak
Chapter 29
शुभ दीपावली
Chapter 30
Chapter 31: Sneak Peak
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Announcement
Chapter 34: Sneak Peak
शुभ दीपावली
Chapter 34: Sneak Peak 2
Chapter 34

Chapter 24

6.1K 242 165
By Hash_Browniez

Hiya *waves*

This one is for preethi_27, ShwetaGargTripathi, AkashMangalath
Sphinx9709, Kashish_1040, PerfectTrouble28, disha1234kkk, ruhi_21readkuku121, ruhi21, AhanaBera, theCgang Prateeksha98, radsangel, SangeetaSrivastava6 Riddhisagrawal kothekarmitali and NikitaChoudhary864 for outstanding support to this book.

I have changed seven years to seventeen for the time Atish left cause l am lazy and don't actually write chapters ahead l just think up the story as l go.

My updating schedule is shit, l know. I have just started a job so that's where my time goes.

I type directly into wattpad. So if you ever see a chapter update and can't find it then it's because l accidentally clicked publish.

This is a draft. Please excuse any grammatical mistake.

Play 1:05 to 1:25 if you want on cue, cool otherwise too.
___________________________________________

Naina's POV
Saturday, July 25th 2019

"Is everyone ready?" I asked walking into the living room and checking my phone for any message from Aaryan. Everyone except my parents were seated on the couch. 

Rohan looked up from his phone. "Only Kaka and Kaki are left. We can leave once they are done."

I looked at the clock and fluffed my hair, falling down my shoulder. "I will call the cars around."

"I will do it," Papa said from behind me as he entered the room. I turned to look at him. "And you look beautiful."

I grinned, doing a little twirl. "Thank you, papa. And you look 10 years younger."

Papa feigned a scowled. "10 years? Hello! I don't look a day older than 30. I can pass for your brother."

Rohan snorted, receiving a smack on his head from chachu. "These kids won't understand bhaiya. Girls used to line up just to get even a glimpse at us."

Papa nodded sagely. "Of course. I used to look like Devanand. Girls as beautiful as Madhubala would vye for my attention."

I saw Ma come up behind dad and a smirk curled up my lips. "Oh really, papa? Did you give anyone of your Madhubala's any attention?"

Ma was about to tap his shoulder but paused to hear his reply. Papa smirked at me in pride. "Oh, yeah. Plenty."

Ma's eyes narrowed at his words. "Is that so?"

Papa's smirk vanished. Rohan, Raina and l burst out laughing at the oh-shit look on my dad's face. Papa turned around abruptly. "No, of course not." He said quickly. "l was just joking with the kids."

When my lovely mother decked in pretty silk saree merely scowled at my father, he turned to me. "You can ask Naina. Haina beta?"

I smiled sweetly at my parents, "Hanji, Ma. Papa was just telling me how many girls used to line up just to get look at him."

Papa's eyes widened in horror as my mother's narrowed further. 30 years of marriage and my dad was still scared of my mom. I aspired to be like my mother. 

"अच्छा!" Ma crossed her arms across her chest. "ज़रा मैं भी तो सुनु कितनी लडकिया थी आपके पीछे।" (Very well. Let me also hear Just how many women were after you.)

Laughing nervously, papa turned and put his hands on my mother's shoulders. "Does it matter how many women were behind me, Megha? There was only one woman who I went after and she is the mother of my daughter." His small smile turned to a scowl, the moment it landed on me. "The daughter who is about to get herself thrown out of this house," 

My smile widened. "Ma will have you thrown out of this city before you can even think about it."

Papa was about to retort when chachu spoke from the couch. "Oho bas, you two are always keep fighting like kids."

A protest was right up my throat when chachu interrupted. "No. Not a word. If you two start now then we will here for another hour picking sides." Coming to stand between my father and l, chachu handed papa his phone and my clutch to me. "Bhaiya, call the cars and Naina stop trying get your parents divorced."

Papa and l scowled at chachu feeling oddly chastised. But when he didn't remove his glare from us we huffed and moved to back. My family collected their phone and wallets. We locked the door and made our way towards the cars.

Papa, Ma and l were in one car. Rohan, Raina, chachu and chachi in another. Just as l stepped into the car, l heard chachi ask. "How many women were after you by the way?"

And l smiled.

The driveway of the Malhotra mansion was brimming with cars. Numerous valets parked the vehicles as numerous assistants escorted the high-profile guests in. The house was so extravagantly decorated with lights, statues and flowers that it looked like a British museum. 

This was the world of the rich. Houses big and families small, surrounded but still alone. Every other day an event that looked more like a cold exhibition than a warm celebration. 

This was what Aaryan hadn't wanted his life to be and didn't want his wedding day to become. I hadn't received a single SOS message from my best friend so l assumed Anjali and her family were already here.

After the valet parked our cars, my family and l made our way through the gigantic double doors that opened into a huge living room. I passively recognised several of businessmen and women. Many nodded towards us as we waded through the room. I greeted a few known faces before papa spotted the Malhotra family and steered us in their direction. 

Towards the centre of the living room, which currently looked like a ballroom, stood Ramesh uncle, Aaryan, Anjali and another tall guy who could only be Atish. I observed him from far. Atish had been a young boy when he had left to be with his mama. We had never had any meaningful interaction before he left. Now he was tall, brown-haired and a splitting image of his father. 

As we approached the Malhotra family, Ramesh uncle was the first one to see us. "Raghav," he called happily, pulling my father in a hug as soon as he reached him, "late as always." 

Papa chuckled. "What could l do? My daughter was trying to get her parents divorced."

Ramesh uncle laughed loudly and his family smiled politely as his eyes landed on me. My eyes flickered behind him to his sons. While Atish's gaze was firmly pinned on me, l saw Aaryan's stiff smile and guarded eyes. 

"Of course, lovely little Naina. Always doing the unexpected." Uncle put a time-worn hand on my head. "I read about Fly India in the paper today. Making it debt-free and rebranding was a brilliant move. No wonder you are such a ferocious leader." 

"Thank you, uncle." I said, offering nothing more than polite appreciation.

He patted my head but looked at my father. "You have taught her well."

Papa's eyes beamed with pride. "It's all her."

Ramesh uncle turned his smile to me. "I only wish you had taught Aaryan these things too. If he listened to you, he would have been a great businessman."

Our gazes shifted to Aayan, who gave us a good-natured grin. There was nothing real about that smile but you would never have been able to tell otherwise. Afterall, he had molded it to perfection from years of back-handed taunts. My eyes flickered to Atish. His remained hooked to me. I waited to see if he would step in to stand for his brother. But when he didn't make a move, l did.

"If he did then android wouldn't have it's best app developer in a decade," I leaned in conspiratorially towards Ramesh uncle. "If he wasn't so loyal to his family, l would have stolen him from you a long time ago."

Uncle laughed. "There you go, being fiery again. Yeah, Aaryan is good tech guy but he would have been a better businessman."

Papa shook his head. "Leave the boy alone, Ramesh. Now you have your eldest ready to step into shoes and you are yet to let us talk to him."

With Papa's statements, Ramesh uncle started to introduce everyone to Atish. Atish gave generic replies to what he has been upto for the past seventeen years. "Naina, bete, you know my eldest son, Atish. Son, you remember Naina. She is now the head of Mittal group and CEO of Mittal Steel."

I held out my hand to Atish. "Long time, Mr. Malhotra." Atish grabbed my je my hand placed kiss on the back of it. "Indeed, Ms. Mittal. Please just call me Atish. It's a pleasure to finally meet the woman l have been hearing so much about. There really isn't a way to be in India and not hear about you, especially with ByCon's launch coming."

"Ahh..yes." Ramesh uncle nodded his head. "A revolutionary product and project anybody would have loved to be a part of."

"Especially since it was backed by Veer Maurya." Atish added. "I was hoping to meet Mr. Maurya too."

"I have invited him," Ramesh uncle said looking at his watch. "He should have been here by now. Did you ask him to come too, Naina?"

"I reminded him," l answered causally, not giving any indication of anything more than business acquaintanceship between us. "But if there is a change in his schedule, l wasn't made aware of it."

Atish pursed his lips. "A bummer. But I guess l am not surprised. Mr. Maurya has a reputation of being aloof. I am not surprised he hasn't even warmed up to his business partner yet."

You couldn't be more wrong.

l pasted on another practised smile. "Veer is very private, Atish."

My family didn't interject. The best part of having a family as close-knit as mine was that they always let me take lead in where the business conversations went. They easily took hints on what topics they shouldn't speak on in case someone tried to grill them when l wasn't present.

"Hey guys," came a voice from behind Anjali. We all turned to see Sonali approaching us with a mega-watt smile. Everyone muttered greetings as Sonali looped her arm through Raina's and beamed. "I hope l am not disturbing but mom saw Naina coming and she needs to talk to her about jewellery for the wedding."

She turned to Anjali and Aaryan. "You both need to come too. I guess Mom asked you about sizes."

Anjali nodded. "Yeah, l just saw the text."

Chachi turned to Rohan, Raina and Sonali. "Okay then, you kids also go and enjoy the party."

"Okay," they said in unison.

Sonali started dragging Raina towards the other side of the room. Raina caught my hand and took me along.

Once we are out of earshot, Aaryan muttered out in a low voice. "Thanks for coming to save us Sona."

Sonali snickered. "It's cool Jeejs. I got Anjali's SOS message so l came to rescue you." She turned to me. "But l wasn't kidding about Mom. She does want to talk to you about the jewellery just not now. Right now she is busy with her butter chicken."

"God yes!" Rohan agreed. "I am hungry. I need to get free food in my stomach."

Sonali smirked at Rohan. "Dude you are always hungry. What do you even do to work up such an appetite."

Rohan gestured to himself. "It is a full time job to be this sexy."

"Speaking of sexy," Sonali gave me a once-over before grinning at Raina. "She is wearing green. Anjali is wearing pink. Coincidence?"

I rolled my eyes. 

"I think not." Raina grinned. 

"These girls are so obvious," Sonali said. "They should take relationship advice from us pros."

I raised a brow at her. "Oh, really? And how many relationships have you been in Ms. Love guru?"

Sona raised her chin. "Pfft.. Coaches don't play Naina babes."

Raina giggled at high-fived Sonali. "You got that right partner. Now, let's go attacc some snacc."

I shook my head with a smile as Rohan, Sonali and Raina went out to the buffet table in the backyard.

I caught Anjali's look as she gestured towards the garden with her eyes. "Shall we go outside?" She asked.

"Sure."

We went in the opposite direction and entered the garden on the left side. Strolling in the grass, we made our way to the lit up gazebo. Anjali and Aaryan sat on the bench while l seated myself on the edge of it. Anjali held his hand while l put my arm across his shoulders. I knew l should be in the party making connections but right now my priority was making sure that Aaryan was okay.

The gazebo had the view of the entire house since most of the walls of the living room were basically glass. I could see most of the party going into the living room and the rest walking into the backyard even if they couldn't see us. 

I remembered a sonnet my bade dada told me once.

Sheshe ke ghar
Tez hawao se bhi toot jaate hai

It was ironic how Aaryan's home was a metaphor for his life.

I looked down. "Better?"

Aaryan sighed long and deep. "As long as l don't have to go back in."

I grimaced. "That bad?"

"In the morning, he off-handedly mentioned how it would save him the salary of another assistant if l would volunteer to work under Atish. Never my mind my career because 'you can do your typing game when you are free.'"

I pursed my lips, tightening my hand on  Somethings just don't change. Aayan leaned back amf closed his eyes, pulling Anjali's hand to his chest. "And don't even get me started on these frivolities. Part of the reason of this entire fanfare is to impress Maurya."

He opened his eyes to look at me. "I swear the way he idolizes Veer, you would think Veer was his prodigal son. They are just dieing to partner with anything with the name Maurya."

Aaryan turned to Anjali. "If it was upto my dad, we would have a third chair on the stage with us at the wedding. Bride, groom and groom's father's man-crush."

As soon as his words sunk in Anjali and l burst out laughing. "Aaryan, you are sick."

Aaryan groaned putting his head on Anjali's shoulder. "Dude, l can't even hate that man because this one," he gestured to me with his thumb, "likes him so much."

Before l could agree or disagree, he spoke again. "Actually, l can. I am the guy Bestie. I have the right to hate any man trying to get on with her.....which includes my brother."

I laughed. "Atish was not trying to get on with me Aaryan."

Aaryan gave a look of disbelief. "He kissed your hand."

I smiled. "Most foreign businessmen greet women like that, Aaryan"

"Still. it was so embarrassing to watch my brother flirt with my little best friend."

My smile slipped. Embarrassing, huh? I will tell you what's embarrassing.

I leaned towards Aaryan."Do you know what's an even more awkward and embarrassing situation?"

Aaryan raised a curious eyebrow. Smiling, l reached out with my free hand, grabbed his ear and twisted it. Hard. "Ow ow ow. What the fuck are you doing, you stupid psychopath?"

I pulled his ear to me, roughly. "You clearly don't listen to me when l tell you to mind your business. Maybe this will clear them enough for you to pay attention to what l say."

Anjali giggled beside Aaryan. "What did you do, babe?"

Aaryan snatched his ear away from me and glared at Anjali. "Why do you think l did something? Whose fiancée are you?" He said cradling his throbbing red ear.

"Yours. That's why l know it has to be your fault." Anjali looked at me. "What did he do this time?"

I scowled, feeling embarrassment crawl back at the memory. "He changed Veer's contact in my phone to cuddly boo and Veer saw it."

Anjali blinked. "Yeah, okay," she said then pulled Aaryan's other ear sharply. "Ow ow ow. What the hell? Stop it."

"You are an idiot," Anjali said releasing his ear. Aaryan groaned putting both his hands on either side of his ears like one of Gandhi ji's monkeys. "Don't be so mad. Anjali. He probably has her number saved as Wifey."

I blushed. "He does not. The whole situation was soooo embarrassing. If you weren't my best friend l would havs thrown you in the gutter for the stunt you pulled."

Aaryan's lips curled up. "And l would still smell better than you, chhipkali."

Anjali gasped. "She smells bad?"

"Of course, she does. She smells like a gorilla who hasn't bathed in years
Change your perfume," he said with a smirk.

I smiled back. Joke's on you buddy. "I did. A week ago."

"Change it again if you want any chance with your guy."

I shrugged. "I don't know. Anjali gifted this one to me. It would seem rude."

Aaryan's face paled. He whipped around to see Anjali whose eyes were narrowed at him. He laughed nervously. "I was just joking, sweetheart."

Without a word, Anjali got up and stomped up towards the house. "Baby nooooooo."

Aaryan shot up to march behind Anjali. Giving me a dirty look and a "I will deal with you later", he trudged down the lawn to catch her.

I giggled as l heard him mutter apologies after apologies to his fiancée. Just before Anjali entered the secluded hall that led to the living room, she gave me a wink. I smirked, raising my hand in a thumbs up motion before the couple disappeared.

Inhaling the cool crisp air, l too got up and stepped down the stairs to start a long night of networking.

I was a few feet away from the gazebo when two strong arms curled around my waist. Reflexively, my elbow pulled back to ram in the ribs of my captor but a rough palm caught it. The familiar woody scent of his cologne engulfed me my nose as his husky whisper reached my ear. "Sheath your claws, lioness."

Relaxing against his chest, l tilted my head up. My lips thrusted in a pout. "Stop sneaking up on me, Veer."

Veer chuckled, turning me in his arms. "You didn't hear me come?"

"There's grass all around and you have a whisper tread."

Stepping back a little I took him in from head-to-toe. Dressed in a blue suit and tie he looked absolutely edible. But then l frowned. "Are you okay?"

There was something haggard about his face. His eyes were dark and tired even as he looked softly at me. A shadow loomed over his regal face. He looked....sad.

Upon my question his smile slipped but he pulled it back up. "I am fine."

No one who has ever said that line meant it.

Frowning, l opened my mouth to push him for more but Veer put his forefinger on my lips affectively making every coherent thought flee my brain. "You are a vision in green."

My heart did a back-flip. Pink tainted my cheeks and my eyes lowered. "Thank you."

Bringing my eyes to his face, l found him looking rueful. I raised my hand and placed my palm on his cheek. Veer closed his eyes and nuzzled into my hand. "you look tired. You sure you are okay?"

Veer put his hand on mine and opened his eyes. "Yes." He wasn't.

"Don't lie to me," l said softly. His grip on my hand tightened. "I would never lie to you." He paused. "Atleast not with the intention to hurt you."

I wanted to say he should never lie to me but who was l to ask that of him when l have so many secrets of my own. He didn't elaborate and l didn't prode. I knew when Veer didn't want to talk about things he didn't talk about it. He became stubborn as a mule. So l tried to change the subject.  "You didn't go in?"

My hand dropped down to his chest. Veer smiled a little. "I had actually just come in when l saw you in the gazebo."

My brows furrowed. "Why didn't you come then? I would have introduced you to Anjali."

"The three of you seemed to be having a moment. I didn't want to disturb you."

How sweet. "We were just talking."

Veer smirked. "Oh? From what l heard you were ruining your friend's marriage."

That I was. I smiled. Twice in two hours. What a streak. "He deserves it and he will be fine. A lesson for you though. Don't diss the gifts given by your better half."

"I probably will even if it's unintentional." He shrugged. "My better half will be the best gift she gives to me. I can't imagine praising anything else."

My eyes widened before l laughed. "Do you take classes on how to be smooth, Mr. Maurya?"

Veer chuckled. The sound more tired than amused. "I am not a successful businessman for nothing, lioness. But l admit i don't have to try to be smooth around you. "

"There you go again," I said making him smile. I loved his smile. It softened his features. Veer was all man. But the smile made him look younger, almost boyish. Or atleast not like someone carrying the weight of the world on his shoulder. We stood there for a couple of heartbeats, just staring and smiling at each other. His hands on my waist. Mine on his chest.

Looking at lights from the mansion, I asked, "Shall we go in?"

For a fraction of a second Veer looked torn. As if indecisive of weather to go in out just go back. But his expression cleared immediately. "Let's go."

Veer and l made our way to the front door and stepped into the mansion. Instantly a few acquaintances crowded around us. A few congratulating us on ByCon launch other asking subtle questions for future plans or acquisitions. Though l could see Veer was still frazzled from something, he maintained a charming smile and a light humour. This was our world. Not a moment of weakness to show.

A few more minutes of conversation later, we executed ourselves and continued walking around the room.  Greeting a few more people, acknowledging the rest. I tried to find Ramesh uncle but he was no where to be seen.

"How's your family?" Veer asked.

"They are good. My parents are mingling and doing whatever it is that adults do. My cousins are devouring whatever they can find. How's yours?"

A smile instantly lightened his gloomy expression. "They are well. All of Neel's teeth are finally out so he has stopped crying much but Roohi hasn't stopped talking about you."

I giggled Veer just shook his head with a smile. "What have you done to my precious princess? It's always Naina didi this.. Naina didi that. You even have a stranding invite to her birthday."

"Yes, boss. When is it?"

"August 29th. You better come or l will have get the party to your house."

I laughed lightly. "No need. I will be there. I wish she could come too. I wanted to meet her."

The little smile that Veer had on his face disappeared. "She wanted to. But l couldn't bring her especially when I wasn't even coming myself."

I turned to Veer with frown. We were near the open bar. So I stopped to look at him. "What? Why?"

Veer pursed his lips. His eyes were impossibly shadowed. "I had an emergency to attend in Meerut. It was very late by the time everything finished. I showered and changed in a hotel before being driven here."

My shoulders relaxed slightly. "Veer, you shouldn't have come here then. It's just a welcome party."

His eyes hardened. "I didn't come here for the party lioness, l came for you." He ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "This emergency has thrown me off. I am leaving for a few days and then we are both flooded with ByCon. If l didn't see you today, l wouldn't for the atleast 10 days and I can't have that happening.."

Now, my senses were on alert. Veer looked at his wits end. "Veer, what's wrong?"

"I need to tell you something." He said grimly taking a step closer to me. "Lioness, l―"

"Mr. Maurya," guffawed a loud, heavy voice. My brows creased in irritation. Wrong damn timing.

Veer's jaw tightened heavily. "Mr. Malhotra," he gritted out. But Ramesh uncle didn't notice the irritation in his tone. Caught in his fanboy haze, he simply shook Veer's hand heartily. "Mr. Maurya, what an absolute pleasure to meet you."

"Thank you, Mr. Malhotra. The pleasure is all mine," Veer replied cordially. Though his features were still tight in indignation.

Ramesh uncle turned to me. "Naina bete, please go meet Anjali's parents. They need to talk to you urgently about the Roka."

I nodded albeit hesitantly. I didnt want to leave. I wanted to stay here amd listen to what Veer wanted to tell me so desperately. I had half the mind to tell him that Veer and l needed to talk about something important but he spoke. "Ahh.. Atish is also coming this way only. Mr. Maurya, allow me to introduce you to my son. Then maybe we can discuss a couple of ideas."

Veer nodded. His gaze shifted to me then to the side where Atish was approaching. "We will talk later," l told Veer smiled at Ramesh uncle and left.

The party moved on. I talked to Anjali and our mothers about the jewellery. Caught my cousin fighting over ice-creams and talked to a few business acquaintances. Dinner and dances had both started by now. Mostly the younger socialites and kids of rich people were dancing while the elders had settled to eat.

An hour had passed since Dad and l decided to take a round of the room together doing the usual talking, pleasantries, plans, deals, debates, congratulations. Throughout the walk, l kept glancing at Veer. It didn't surprise me to see that he was the star of the party even if it wasn't his. Ramesh uncle clung to his side like a glue. Even Atish didn't stride very far.

But what irritated me that every so often a bunch of socialites would come to talk or greet the trio. The daughters, the sisters, the friends of the wealthy all standing to close to him for my comfort.

An itchy uncomfortable feeling clawed at my stomach when one of the woman talking to him placed her hand on his arm.

Was I ... jealous?

Hell yes, l was jealous. How dare she touch him!

Veer must have sensed my gaze because he looked over to me. I smiled mockingly. Sweeping my eyes over his company, l made a impressed gesture.

Veer bit his lip to contain his smile then gave me a small wave. I waved back. Not wanting to have anyone think of our exchange as anything more than good-natured banter, l turned to watch the dance and nibbled on some snack.

I was caught up in the music and the food when a clear voice spoke beside us. "Mr. Mittal, Ms. Mittal."

I turned only to feel my gaze harden at seeing Ronit Oberoi and Natasha Chauhan standing by our table. Plastering a profesional smile on my face, l got up to greet them.

Ronit was a sharp looking man in his late thirties with brown hair, dark eyes and wheatish complexion. Natasha, meanwhile, was tall, willowy brunette with gold highlights and light brown eyes dressed in a beautiful blue gown. When l had met Ronit last time, it was an indifferent meeting to me. We didn't run in same circles.

This time was personal. This was he was the guy about to get destroyed for even thinking of attacking my company. We exchanged greetings and pleasantries before he introduced us to his fiancee. Natasha just gave me a tight smile.

"I believe congratulations are in order, Ms. Mittal." Ronit said with a condescending smile. "ByCon is going to be tremendous success."

"Absolutely. And to win such a project," Natasha said with a haughty tilt to her painted lips. "what a stroke of fortune,"

Already? Not even two seconds in a conversation and l had my own reason to dislike her. But l was a professional. A saccharine smile curled my lips. "Fortune favors the bold, Ms. Chauhan."

"Oh, you have to be if you are dealing with Veer Maurya. Not to mention stunning" She smirked in satisfaction. "Trust me, l know."

If that's supposed to make me insecure, she either thinks too highly of herself or too low of me.

I gave her a bemused smile. "I wasn't aware you ran in the same circles as us, Ms. Chauhan. I mean, l am yet so see you in any party not organised by your soon-to-be husband."

Ronit's eyes narrowed and Natasha gritted her teeth. "I have been busy with the wedding planning, Ms. Mittal. It doesn't leave much time to come to parties. And l usually spend time around my friends."

"Ahh alright." I nodded in understanding.  "No wonder, l haven't seen you around mine. But no worries, let me know if you want an invite to something higher. I am no sure nobody would refuse if l ask."

Natasha just smiled tightly. I knew she wanted to lash out at me but refrained. I gave her a smug smile. Any one worth anything in the business world knew better than to offend a Mittal. "Of course, Ms. Mittal."

Papa intervened before things could get awkward. "I heard you are the artillery supplier for Euro project, Ronit. Quite a feat."

"Yes, l am, Mr. Mittal. But there was really no competition." Ronit gloated.

"There was competition but you have made your reputation well as the market leader," I complemented professionally because l can still behave like an adult.

"You have to be the best in my position, Ms. Mittal," he replied caustically. "Not everyone has the luck to be a six phase metal supplier just for being around longer."

Even if some people couldn't. And Lucky, huh? Darling, you will be damn lucky if you even have the will to live once l am done with you.

I raised my chin "Of course, you are absolutely right, Mr. Oberoi. Luck is helping me get the monopoly in metal supply market just as it helped you win arms industry."

Ronit's jaw hardened. "It wasn't luck, Ms. Mittal. It was hardwork."

"Later, yes." A lazy smile curling up my lips. "Your most powerful adversary pulled out of the market with no replacement. No reason." I paused to let my words sink in. "What a stroke of luck to have the king of arms leave you his kingdom to conquer."

The tightness around his eyes and the twitching of his jaw were enough proof to know l had hit a nail. "And l am worthy of it in every sense, Ms. Mittal."

"Of course," l said sympathetically and because l was done with their shit. "Please excuse us. My father and l need to discuss a few things with our business partners before they leave."

The smirk returned to him but with an element of hidden pleasure to it. "Of course, Ms mittal. All the best for ByCon. I hope you are capable of finishing the orders you recieve."

"As a matter fact of we have already started the production of certain pre-orders to prevent overshooting deliveries."

Ronit frowned. "A little soon. Don't you think? And how are you starting production without even the materials transferred?"

Gotcha

Papa frowned too. How does he know about our cargo's location. "The material was shipped out months ago." I smiled victoriously as Ronit's face paled. "It pays to be prepared, Mr. Oberoi. That's what makes luck favor the like of us."

Ronit reached frantically for his phone. "Excuse me, l need to make an urgent call," he said suddenly walking away and dragging a startled Natasha with him.

"What was that?" Papa asked as soon as they left.

"I will tell you." I told papa. "But make a call to Diana and tell her we have stronger set of proof. She knows what l mean."

Papa nodded and patted my head. Just then my wrist was pulled and l came face to face with a furious Aaryan. I was  immediately alarmed.

"Aaryan Beta what's wrong? Dad asked. His voice dripping with concern.

Aaryan glared at dad. "Your damad is trying to steal your bahu."

Papa and l blinked. "Hai?"

Aaryan whirled me around to face the dance floor. A grinning Veer was dancing with Anjali who seemed to be telling him something really interesting.

"Oh. Oh." Papa laughed. "Okay, you both go. I will grab food."

"I will turn him into dog food if he doesn't let go of Anjali," Aaryan muttered as he started dragging me to the floor

I giggled. "When did you become so possesive?"

Aaryan didn't bother to look back. "All men are. It just gets triggered when there's another man holding your girl like she isn't already damn spoken for."

I nodded sagely. Not that he could sew. His glare was firmly pinned to the laughing man holding his fiancée.

As soon as Anjali saw us coming, she patted Veer's arm. Looking in our direction, Veer released her. When we reached them, Aaryan didn't bother to show any subtlety. He wrapped his arm around Anjali and molded her to his side. "Mind if I cut in, Veer?"

I rolled my eyes. Suppressing the urge to say you already did idiot. In the middle of song, in the middle of a dance floor. Veer took a step back, put his arms behind his back and nodded cautiously.

Aaryan took a step in Veer's direction, almost standing toe-to-toe with him. Veer was atleast an inch taller than Aaryan but considerably less enraged. In fact, there was a sparkle of laughter in his eyes for the first time since this evening started.

"Here's the thing, Veer," he said so calmly, it was even pleasant. "Naina here already is one person too much trying to sabotage my marriage. I do not need you jumping in the wagon with her. Got it?"

Veer's lips held the barest hint of smile as his eyes darted from Aaryan to me then back to him. He nodded slowly, knowing that any other response will get him punched and l won't come to help. "Yes, of course."

"Great! Now that we are in agreement―" Aaryan grabbed my hand and made me stand in front of Veer. "―if you want to test your charms so badly, do it on this one but leave mine alone. Capiche?

Veer bit back a grin and gave an overdramatic nod. "Understood. Congratulation on the upcoming nuptials." I had another urge to role my eyes. Men are so stupid sometimes.

"Thank you. We will excuse ourselves." Aaryan smiled sweetly at Anjali who grinned back. "I need to deal with this one now."

I laughed as Aaryan led Anjali away. Turning back to Veer l saw him smiling down at me. Veer raised his hand and bowed. "May l have this dance, m'lady?"

I giggled. "You may."

I placed my one of my hand in his amd other on his chest. Veer's other hand curled on my waist. As we moved to the song, the lights dimmed for as another slow song started. It was dim enough on the dance floor to see your partner but not too beyond. I smiled apologetically at Veer. "Sorry. He isn't really this rude."

Veer chuckled. "I understand lioness, l would have been far worse than him if it was y― my girl in arms of someone else. Men are usually far more possessive than they show."

I laughed. "You look better now."

Veer's eyes darkened or maybe it was just the lightning. He pulled me closer. "That's because l have just been made privy to some fascinating piece of information."

My brows furrowed. "Oh?"

Veer stepped closer and placed his nose near my ear. Thank God the lights were low enough so that people couldn't see us practically molded together. He took in a deep breathe. "I was just thanking Anjali for the perfume she got you when l was told that it was bought for a very specific purpose."

My neck heated. Oh my God. What the hell did she tell him!

"I have no idea what you are saying." I muttered.

"Hmm. Is that so?" I felt Veer smile as he breathed the scent in again. His hand tightened on my waist and his voice grew huskier. "I never got the chance. Do tell her mission accomplished."

The song changed to Niall Horan's 'this town' as l lowered my eyes.

"I have meddling and childish friends." I muttered keeping my eyes lowered. "I need to pull some more ears."

Veer chuckled. "Though l don't know what that means. I think it's cute."

"Oh, you have a thing for my friend's now," l said petulantly.

Veer smirked. "Funny that you say this when l heard your tell me you have a thing for me."

I stiffened. My heart stuttering against my ribs sent my ears rang. I was going to jail for two brutal murders.

Instantly on defensive, I accused. "Was that the point of dancing with me in front of half the business world," I glared at him, "to drive some sort of confession out of me?"

When he remained silent, l tried to pull away. I didn't want to stand here. I was just too embarrassed to do or say anything but Veer wasn't having it. He caught my hands and placed them on his shoulder. His arms wrapped around my waist as his head dipped down to the side of my face towards my ear "No. It was to get one out of me."

My stomach churned. What did he say? "What?" I tried to pull away again but he kept me pinned firmly to him, his mouth near my ear.

(Cue the chorus)

If the whole world was watching,
I would still dance with you,

Veer sang the chorus of the song playing. My eyes turned to the speakers where the song reverberated but my ears attuned to the singing, my mind on his words and my heart thundering on its own.

Drive highways and byways
to be there with you

―When l wasn't even coming myself.

Over and over
The only truth

I would never lie to you.

Everything comes back to you

―I had to see you. I came for you.

"Veer?" I spoke breathlessly. Is he singing? Is he confessing his feelin―

"Tell me, lioness. Is it true?" Veer whispered intently. "Do you want me as much as l want you?"

My stomach flipped. My eyes widening to the size of saucers. My mind went numb even as the whisper of 'yes' grew louder.

"For fuck's sake not now." I heard Veer growl. I started. "What?"

"Don't move lioness," Veer muttered. His voice dripping with seriousness. I looked up to find him looking at behind me.

"Why? Veer?" I asked worriedly, shifting in his arms that had come loose around me to look what,

"Shit. Don't look back, Naina. Go to your family." He looked down at me, the tender fierceness in his eyes jarred me. "We are not finished. I will come back."

That was all Veer said before he released me and disappeared in the dark silhouettes of dancing people. I stood on the floor staring in the direction he disappeared with mixed feelings―worried, confused, lost and hurt.

What just happened? Did Veer just confess his feelings for me? Or did he mean something else and l am overthinking? Where did he go?

"A lady as gorgeous as you shouldn't be on the dance floor, Ms. Mittal." came a voice from behind me. Surprised, I turned to see Atish standing with his hand raised. "May l have this dance, Ms. Mittal?"

Absentmindedly, l nodded. Not wanting to be rude to the host. "Just Naina, please." Atish and l swayed to the slow music making small talk. I gave the appropriate replies answered the right questions but l was running on autopilot. My brain throwing more and more questions at me. The one man with answers to them all wasn't in sight. Where is he? Is he even okay?

We were just about near the end of dance when Atish spoke. "You have done exceptionally well in the past two years, Naina."

"We all have struggles, Atish," I said.

"Yours have been piled up longer than most, Naina. Don't be so modest," Atish complimented. "Creation of MitVa, taking over suddenly in the midst of family emergency, dealing with your board, the fire at your factory." My eyes snapped to Atish. He was shaking his head. "So much, so soon and you have handled it splendidly well."

Does he...?

No. Not even my family has any idea. No one knows.

I grit my teeth forcing any memories to the back of my head. I gave my best polite smile. "The media loves sensation Atish. As a businessman you would know better."

Atish laughed. "I do, Naina. That's why l am here. Media in Britain isn't any less relentless that that in India but atleast you can get some anonymity in a country of 1.35 billion people. A feat impossible in Britain."

"You want anonymity?" I asked casually. I didn't know If the earlier mention of the fire was out of sheer conversation or to check for a reaction. Either way, l knew better than to react. Even if my mind was suddenly all over the place. Atish asked. "Of course. Don't you?"

No. "Yes."

Atish grinned. "Great! We have something in common in then."

As the song came to end, l gave a small wave and excused myself to go to my family. But instead of going towards the backyard l moved as quickly as l could down the hall to the makeshift washrooms.

I tried shakily to block out the ringing in my head, the voices, the noises, the heat, the fight. My eyes darted to my hands. Clean. Clean. Clean.

Not red.

I repeated it to myself. Not red. This day was derailing faster than a roller-coaster and l needed a moment to myself before my control unravelled. Spying the washroom, I raised my  hand to open the  door when it suddenly flung open. Caught by suprise, l didn't see a hand come rise and pull me in by hair.

My training kicked in. I grabbed the wrist holding mine, twisted it and connected my fist into the assaulter's nose. A feminine yelp of pain cleared the rage in my head.

Natash was standing in front of me, cradling her most probably broken nose. I sighed.  Closing my eyes, l leaned against the door. Not this. Not now

"You psychotic bitch. What the hell did you just do? I will sue the entire Mittal group for assault," she screeched.

I placed a hand on my eyes. I can't do this high-school drama in the middle of a mental crisis. "You pulled me in by my hair Natasha. What else do you expect?"

"I expect you to know you place. Stay away from Veer." She flowered wiping the blood on her face with a tissue.

My pushed out a deep breath. Removing my hand from eyes. Women. Why do we do this to each other.

I opened my eyes to look at her standing with her arms crossed. I spoke softly as if speaking to a child. And asking some divine power to interfere before l do something l regret. "It's not worth this. Let's not do this over a guy."

"Oh, please. Stop pretending you are behind for his personality. He hasn't gotten an ounce prince charming, Ms. Goody two shoes like you look for." She took a threatening step towards me. "He maybe a better package than most men out there but his money and power are the best. Do not pretend to want anything else."

I took in a breathe to calm the rage tunnelling my vision upon her words and the stupidity suffocating this room. I nodded. "Fine. I heard you childishly trying to bully me. What do you want now?"

She scoffed. "Look, l am just doing you a favour. I know about you. A dream come true of businesswoman. Highest regards of moral standards, honesty, truth, loyalty and all that shit. An innocent little papa's puppet like you couldn't possibly handle a guy who ruins the life of hundreds of people everyday for his immoral illegal jobs."

My eyes widened involuntarily. Natasha smiled in satisfaction. "Aww you didn't know? Honey, he is as merciless as they call him." She smiled at me pity which was as anything but genuine. "Even l left him after he uprooted so many villages for his illegal weapons factory in Banglore. I couldn't see so many lives dislocated and loosing their livelihood. I am not as cruel as Veer, you know.."

I...

Is that Veer's big secret?

A hysterical laugh bubbled inside me. This was why Veer has lived in guilt for almost five years. I rubbed my hands over my eyes. A cynical smile on my lips. He has been living in regret for one wrong decision of uprooting people.

When l had to move on and take over after my indecision took lives.

Natasha took my silence as her victory.

"Poor you. Didn't even think that your Prince charming could do something so depraved?" She gave a dainty shrug, wiping the still flowing blood. "It's okay. Now you know how ruthless he can be so stay away from him. Okay?"

I chuckled making Natasha frown. I had to bite my lip to stop a manic smile from coming on. Hell! Maybe l was going senile. "You clearly don't know anything about business, Ms. Chauhan."

Because if she thought what Veer did was  ruthless

she didn't know how l came to power.

Some of the madness in my head must have seeped into my face that for the first time she looked apprehensively. "Empires stand on the graves of those who had to perish for kingdoms to grow."

If she thought what Veer did was depraved

She didn't know how dark the world of the super-rich was.

An iciness, l don't let show, appeared in my smile. "The strongest of us have the largest of graveyards. Reek of our power stronger than stench of our sins. Do not step in without a stake, Natasha."

Natasha scowled, even as her eyes showed fear. Her lips pulling back in a sneer. "Don't even try to threaten me or l will ruin you. My fiance will destroy you, your company, your family and then Veer."

My family? My company? My Veer?

If she thought Veer was merciless to those who crossed him,

She didn't know me.

I took a leisure step towards her. "Daddy owns a bank. Doesn't he?" I asked Natasha pleasantly and her glare faltered.

"How would daddy feel when his biggest client pulls out of his bank?" I asked my eyes scrunched in worry. Her face paled, realisation dawning on her.

I took another step. "How would daddy feel when his biggest client calls his services incompetent and unworthy of trust?"

Another step till l was just a feet away from her. "How would daddy feel when millions of accounts get shut?"

Finally when l was close enough to see tears in her eyes, l put the final nail in the coffin. "How would he feel when he finds it was his precious daughter who caused his bankruptcy?"

Natasha's face had gone white in horror. She gulped fearfully. "No... No please." Then she straightened in a poor show of strength. "You wouldn't."

Times like these reminded me why bade dada feared human nature as much as he did. I smiled in pity. "Try me, sweetheart."

Reaching up I raised her chin upto me with my thumb and forefinger. "He is mine," I said softly. "To go after one of my people, family or company will be the biggest mistake of your life."

Dropping her chin, I pinned her with my darkest glare. "Be very careful of what you do next, Ms. Chauhan," l said when l saw her shiver in fear. "And remember, nightmares are dreams too."

Turning around l made my way to the exit. Just as l was about to open the door l paused. "Oh and do watch where you go." I tossed her a smirk. "Running into doors can leave a bloody nose."

With that l slammed the door shut. My eyes closing in exasperation on their own accord. I needed to find another washroom, might as well go to Aaryan's room. I sighed as l walked towards another hallway. What a clusterfuck this day has become! Going so damn. wrong. First Veer, then Ronit then Atish now her. I looked at the dried blood on my knuckles. Could this day get any worse?

Apparently, it could. As soon as l was near the living room a suited-wall appeared in my face. I looked up to find an enraged Veer glaring down at me.

He caught my hand and pulled me into a secluded room. He slammed the door shut and stood against it. My hackles rose knowing l was alone in a secluded room with an infuriated man.

"You are buying Anand hotels?"

I blinked. Where is this coming from?

"Are you, Naina?" Veer just about growled at me.

Trying to rein in my own anger, I took a minute to breathe. "Yes."

A plethora of emotions passed through his face in a millisecond. Fear, panic desperation, betrayal, exasperation till it finally settled on determination.

"Back out."

My eyes narrowed. "No."

Veer ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "Back off the deal, Naina. The Anands are extended family. I know how they do business and it's not safe."

"I know it too, Veer. They are not the first debauched management l have acquired. But okay. Give me a reason why l shouldn't go ahead with it,"

Veer gave a sinister chuckle. "I just told you their reputation for business is in the gutter and you still need a reason."

"Well yours wasn't the best either when l gave you Mitva," l said making Veer still.

Damn. Naina. You are genius.

I breathed. "I am sorry. I will back off, tell me what l don't know."

"You don't anything," he yelled. Striding forward, he grabbed my forearm and pulled me to him. "This is not a game, Naina. They are dangerous. And you need to back off."

With his hand on my forearm, I was downright murderous. This was far beyond any amount of disrespect l was willing to tolerate. 

"Back off," I seethed lowly, "before l break your wrist."

I did not appreciate aggression no matter who it came from. If he didn't let go he was going to twin with his stupid ex. 

Veer released my forearm and closed his eyes. Realising it was anger on something else that was about to explode on him, i took in  a deep breath. "Look Veer. I know they are not the best people to deal with but l have signed the papers alr―"

"I don't give a fuck, Naina. You will damn well do as l say and back the hell down from this deal before I make you."

My eye's widened at him in disbelief. He had gone too far. "Stay in your fucking limits. You are no one tell me who l can make deals with. You are just a business partner."

Veer stopped. "You are right." He said flatly and before l could even take a second to open my mouth, he had opened the door and left.

___________________________________________

Sooo.....

Betchya didn't see that coming.

I was foreshadowing in the last chapter. It was just not the way you thought. ☺️

Please don't murder me.

Anywho, now that all players are in, let the show begin.

Also, how do you feel about Naina's cruel side? Too dark?

Next update wheneva l cansss. Till then:

Vote
Comment
Share
Follow =)

Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 112 14
It's a love story between a college girl and a handsome ceo 💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜 Swetha Natrajan❤️ She is a 20 years college girls who is s...
638K 22.8K 42
"don't come any closer" I stutter as he takes long strides towards me. I press my back against the shelf and he traps me with his two hands. "do you...
97.8K 2.6K 42
*Book 1 of CEO series* "Am I a villain?" Mr. Martinez probed, pinning me with his intense gaze. "Yes!" He chuckled and instantly he took two large s...
657K 40.9K 102
#2 in Indian on 09/22 Lovestories are fairytales where a prince charming comes on white horse ! Not really!! Sometimes it's a bit different! When one...