Hunter: Cursed

By ellarose12

Vampires have Slayers. Werewolves have Trackers. Everything else has a Hunter. --- After battling w... More

1st May 2012
Chapter One.
2nd May 2012
Chapter Two.
3rd May 2012
Chapter Three.
3rd May 2012
Chapter Four.
7th May 2012
Chapter Five.
8th May 2012
Chapter Six.
18th June 1869
15th May 2012
Chapter Eight.
17th May 2012
Chapter Nine.
17th May 2012
Chapter Ten.
19th May 2012
Chapter Eleven
22nd May 2012
Chapter Twelve.
27th May 2o12
Chapter Thirteen
30th May 2012
Chapter Fourteen
4th June 2012
Chapter Fifteen
8th June 2012
Chapter Sixteen
10th June 2012
Chapter Seventeen
14th June 2012
Chapter Eighteen.
14th June 2012
Chapter Nineteen
16th June 2012
Chapter Twenty
20th June 2012
Chapter Twenty-One
21st June 2012
Chapter Twenty-Two
26th June 2012
Chapter Twenty-Three
19th July 2012
Chapter Twenty-Four
23rd July 2012
Chapter Twenty-Five
25th July 2012
Chapter Twenty-Six
26th July 2012
Chapter Twenty-Seven
4th August 2012
Chapter Twenty-Eight
7th August 2012
Chapter Twenty-Nine
13th August 2012
Chapter Thirty
14th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-One
16th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-Two
18th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-Three
18th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-Four
20th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-Five
26th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-Six
29th August 2012
Chapter Thirty-Seven
The Diary of an Ex-Tracker
The End...?
Hunter Series

Chapter Seven.

6K 337 46
By ellarose12

I wait for the flicker of recognition, of anger - just something, as Cain looks the pair of us over. Luckily, Sobek is unaffected and bows forward slightly, while pushing me to the left and out of Cain's way.

"I do apologise," he offers a curt smile and we start down the steps.

I can't breath, not until I know we're away from him and as my foot touches the path back to the street, the elbow that isn't being crushed by Sobek's, is grabbed and I'm spun around.

"Do you know, what you are?" Cain asks demandingly; ignoring Sobek completely.

"I beg your pardon?" I try to tug my arm free, but he isn't letting go. "Get your hands off me!"

I feel tempted to throw in a 'good sir' and try to think on how I can talk without sounding out of place. Hopefully my attempt at copying his and Sobeks old English accent isn't too terrible; Logan always teases me when I do it joking round. I think Cain doesn't notice or maybe he does as his dark eyes narrow on mine.

Clearly, this isn't the Cain I know, but an earlier edition. This should offer me some comfort, but it doesn't. I'm pretty sure than Cain doesn't want to hurt me - this one, I know nothing about. He looks the same, but different. He isn't quite Darius, nor is he the man that visited me in the library. Could Darius have looked different each time I saw him and I just never noticed?

"It is my turn to apologize, may I ask your name?"

I finally get my arm back, but it's obvious he isn't going anywhere as he remains in our path. Sobek straightens, and I think he hoping to try and intimidate Cain as he stands over him by a good couple of inches. Two women and what I think is their maid walk by, all three casting curious looks in our direction before they enter the building; whispering to one another in such a way I know they're talking about us. Do we look out of place here, or is the confrontation blindly obvious. Maybe they're just gossiping ye olde bitches.

Sobek shakes his head, "Enough of this folly. Come along."

He leads me away and this time Cain doesn't stop us. It's rather chivalrous of him really and I play along. It's going into one of those dress up towns where they re-enact the past, and you pay to go gold digging in the creek on the outskirts of the town or to get your photo taken in period costume. How many people, well apart from the immortal and supernatural who apparently have no trouble bopping back and forth through time, get to experience this?

"That was too close." He whispers, nodding in greeting as we pass people in the busy streets.

Horse drawn carriages clamber by and as we approach a park, we end up stopping at a bench by the pond. I feel like I belong in a Jane Austen novel or even one of those regency romances Mum has a small stash off in the bottom shelf of the bookcase.

"What a rake of a man!" I sigh, not hiding my amusement at the look he gives me. "Sorry, when in Rome!"

Sobek only shakes his head. "I need to find out where the event is happening. Do nothing to draw even more attention to us. Sit!"

"I'm sorry, you're the one who planted us in a church, where he was going. Why was Cain even there?" I ask.

"Probably for the reason why all people go to church." He mumbles, fiddling with a mini version of the globe that brought us here. Sobek looks my way briefly before shaking his head again. "To speak to God. We aren't where we need to be, I don't know why he was here, but I brought us to him."

The rest of what he said I didn't hear. "The, God? Like he exists?"

"Hunter, you are sitting beside a God. You question anothers existence?"

"I question a lot of things." I tell him.

"Good. You should. There is so much out there, different worlds, realms, beings and state of existence. You will never understand. It's simply, impossible. I am one of the mighty, and even I don't understand."

He carries on doing whatever it is he is going, while I try not to think too much about what he had just said. Sobek is right, it's something you can't ever, really comprehend. Luckily, I'm easily distracted as ladies walk under parasols and peer curiously over the top of the fans of silk and lace. It's not even a hot day and I feel the urge to take off a few layers of this dress. The urge to slouch has never been stronger, but instead my posture is forced to improve as I'm not really sitting, but rather balancing on this seat.

I try to find something that I might recognize in my time, a bridge or a monument that has proven to be as immortal as the man beside me, but there isn't much to go on. Children run around full of laughter while picnics have been set up on the grassy hill beside this era. How many hours did take all these women to dress? I doubt they have a god to just snap his fingers and bam, done. It 's hard enough when I'm getting ready to go out and I don't even put in half of the effort they must.

"This isn't real, you know." Sobek speaks up, following my gaze. "The rich here, are no better than dolls; living off their husbands money and looking pretty on their arms. When we leave, you will see what life was really like. This is no better than watching a movie. You're lucky you do not live in this time, even as a Hunter, the men would not allow you do as you were fated."

"And what is my fate then?"

"That, has yet to be decided." He smirked as he stood and extended his arm to me once more. "Come. Now."

"Stop ordering me around like a dog, come, sit, stay!" I argue with him. "How about next time try this. Shall we carry on our journey my dearest Hunter, for we haven't much time!"

He rolls his eyes; something I'm sure is normal for a god to do and depsite that, we leave the park and before long, he's managed to commandeer us a carriage. Apparently the horses are 'fresh' and I'm not sure what he did or said to the old man driving us, but he was quick to comply and accepted the directions he was given without argument or alerting the authorities.

Then again, it wasn't like he had a mobile phone and could simply call to report it.

"I like carriages." I decided, staring out at the countryside as we travelled out of town.

"This look is rather, becoming of you."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I know you, see how you are. You dress like a lady now, perhaps you will start to act more like one too." I glare at him and the conversation drifts off.

Unfortunately I'm not as distracted as I had been. How could I be after he spoke of my fate being undecided. What does know, what can he see?

"So you can time travel, read minds? What other godly powers do you possess oh mighty Croc Man." I may be teasing him.

Probably not the smartest idea considering he is my ticket home, but the whole speak when you're spoke to, lady role isn't really my style; despite the clothes I wear and period we're in.

"It depends on who you talk to. I created the Nile." I snorted back a laugh. "I was feared, respected and you will see my legends in your, museums. You joke by calling me Croc Man, but I once proudly adorned a mask of a crocodiles head. Yes, that mask was what our mutual friend, then cursed me to truly be."

"Guess I'll look you up when I get home then." I remember the pictures in the tomb and the only stories from that time I remember are the ones I read to Alfie about Apep. I don't remember a Sobek in them and it's then I notice that what I said amused him more than what I thought it would, or should.

"You do that Hunter."

My gut clenched at that, something about his tone set me off and I was sick of constantly feeling anxious about well, everything. All the time. Soon, soon I would have some answers and then I'll be home. One thing was for sure though, I already missed Logan. I wonder what he'd think of seeing me in this costume, and instantly a ran my hands over my lap to smooth out the creases.

"So how far do we have to go?"

"An hour or so. Too far to simply walk and I seek to rest my powers. It's been some time since i have this much use of them." He doesn't look at me, instead staring out the window. If I didn't know better, I'd think the conversation was over.

Interesting.

"Why is my fate undecided?"

"Fates always are, even the mighty Oracle with all her wisdom does not see all."

"What do you know of her?" I try to keep him talking.

"Would you like to see perhaps?" There is something cold in his eyes now, and I'm reminded that I don't know him. I didn't have much of say in coming here, a sign of how much more powerful he is compared to me.

He pulls out his small globe; so much for resting his powers.

The globe rises from his palm, swiftly floating through the air and as i take it in my hands, inside begins to swirl like a golden sandstorm until it all fades to reveal a temple. Four women walk up the pale stone steps and it's then I notice that their wrists are bound in front of them. A figure emerges to greet them, and he's - glowing. It almost hurts to look at him, as if I'm staring at the sun and not a man. Squinting, my eyes only tear up and glancing away for a break, Sobek is simply staring back out of the window uninterested.

"The Pythia is no more." The light declares, as loud as if he was sitting beside us.

The women begin to sob, all but one. I know without even needing to see her face it is Portia. She isn't scared, she is furious. I know there needs to be a sacrifice now, another Oracle needs to take place at Apollo's temple and the god will make his decision. The four women being offered now were chosen for a reason, and Portia is hiding a secret of her own; a lover.

"You." He points to her and she steps away from her sobbing, sisters. My heart slows as fear sinks in with what is about to happen. "You dare come here?"

She is strong, brave; prepared to face a god and feel his wrath as he senses her impurities. Portia doesn't answer.

"I said-"

"I heard." She cuts him off, raising her chin defiantly.

The temples priests appear out of no where and surround the four women, and this only makes her laugh.

He arrives then; Cain.

"This is your doing?" The light demands.

"Brother, do you really think I would stand by and miss my chance?" He taunts and just as quickly, the priests all step forward and one by one, the trio of women fall with a scream; blood staining their white robes as the fall to the stairs with surprised gasps and gurgling last breaths.

"No!" Portia screams, forgetting everything as she drops to her sisters.

Cain has already removed the threat, the priests vanishing with a wave of his hand. It's too late though, the damage has been done.

"You are not no brother of mine!" Apollo snarls, retreating into the building that I know Cain can not enter. Portia is screaming, grieving her lost sisters while Cain simply watches her display. Is he angry, sad? I can't tell, he gives nothing away until Portia turns to him.

"I want revenge."

"That I can promise you." He holds out his hand, not bothered by the sleek covering of blood on hers and Portia rises to her feet. "But first, you need to gain the power of sight."

He guides her to the entrance of the temple, and a golden dagger appears in his hand as he passes it to her. Portia goes inside and the globe finishes the vision.

"What happened? Did she kill him?"

"No, for one, gods are rather hard to destroy and besides, she didn't have to. With no one to take over and be the next Pythia, she harvested the Oracles eyes and made them her own." He sounded bored.

"Harvested?"

"Want to see it too?" I shook my head, making him laugh. "The future is not something he ever had the ability of seeing, unlike some of us. He needs her and when her powers came into their own since he gifted her immortality and, well no one really knows what he did exactly, she didn't need him."

"What happened?"

"Strangely, nothing. Her allegiance to him has never wavered, though many have tried." So Portia has always remained loyal to Cain and my stomach sank with anxiety over what my part was in all of this. "You worry too much."

"I don't think I worry enough."

"You worry about the wrong things."

I look him in the eye. "What should I worry about then?"

"Yourself."

I want to keep talking, demand more answers, but my words die as soon as I open my mouth. The globe leaves my hands and it's obvious he is rather attached to that thing. As if sensing my thoughts, Sobek quickly tucks into his jacket and out of my sight. Is that where his power comes from? If he is reading my mind right now, he doesn't give anything away, leaving my question unanswered. That actually says more and so I let it go, and we end up sitting in silence while staring out of the window into a world that is foreign to both of us.

 ) O (

 My neck ached as I woke, and slowly sitting up, so did my shoulders. Instantly I went to stretch, only to be reminded of the ridiculous dress I was wearing and where I was. Before I could even finish my yawn, I snapped awake and found myself alone in a moving carriage. Looking out the window, double story brick building passed by and without thinking I opened the carriage door. So much for trusting the crocodile god, apparently only snakes could be counted on from that era.

"Stop! Um, you! Stop!" I called out.

The man glanced down, his bloodshot eyes widening in surprise as I hung half out the carriage. I was tempted just to jump out since we weren't going too fast, but my outfit made it a little more difficult. Thankfully, he did as I asked, pulling to one side of the street and with a heavy thump, he jumped down. The old man was taller than I remembered when we boarded, and the stench of sweat and beer radiated off him now too.

"Are you well?" He asked cautiously, slipping off his hat to hold against his chest. At least he had manners.

"No. Where is, that man, I was travelling with?"

"He requested we leave you-"

"Leave me? Where is he?" I snap, trying not to stumble as I climbed down. Instantly he was there with a dirty hand as he offered my assistance. "Thanks."

"The Library."

"Is it far?"

"Far enough that a lady shouldn't be walkin' alone in these here parts."

"I'm not your typical lady. Take me back. Now."

His frown only deepened before the light seemed to catch his eyes and a flicker of gold passed over them. "No. You are to remain in the carriage and be taken back to London."

That wasn't his voice and I knew it hadn't been the light to catch his eyes either. Great.

Shaking my head, I turned to go back in the carriage and as he went to help me in, I ended up sending my elbow into his nose, making him fall backwards. "Sorry, but I can't do that."

As he came closer again, I punched him hard enough to send him to the dirt. That got the attention of two passing men, who stopped and stared. I offered them a smile, tempted to curtsey as well, but making an impression was at the bottom of my list of things to do. Turning in the direction we had been coming from I started to run. No one tried to stop me, all pausing what they were doing as I went down the street. They probably thought I was made or something and I kind of wished I had taken a horse, but I'd never be able to ride with this on and I knew I needed an outfit change.

Pausing outside a store, I couldn't believe my luck at the sight of the clothing inside and going in, I checked the purse that seemed to part of my skirt. It felt too light to have anything in and I wasn't below stealing right now. Old school robbery would have to wait another day because as I opened it, gold coins began to appear to the point it was nearly full.

Surely this would be enough to get something new to wear.

"Excuse me, I want to buy something for a man, and boots and do you sell weapons?" I asked the clerk who looked at me like I was an alien. "Hello?"

"I'm sorry, you want to buy for-" He asked with a cough.

Looking around, I saw what reminded me of the horse riders wear in the Olympics, which worked out well because I wasn't liking the idea of running around in a suit. "That. I want that. In my size."

I took out a handful of coins, and then another. It seems like this bag was unlimited and I didn't like why Sobek may have done that for me.

"Is this enough?"

The clerk went pale, and he quickly dabbed his forehead with a handkerchief before he ran his hand over the coins and picked one up inspecting it closely. He looked at me and then at the money before running to the door and flipping over the closed sign.

"Are you inclined to a certain colour?" He asked.

I offered him a smile. Clearly money spoke anyone's language and broke through time barriers. "You pick. Do you have any scissors or at least know how about you get me out this dress?"

"You are in luck." He promised, wiping his brow once more before ushering me towards the back of the store.

Within twenty minutes I was changed and throwing another handful of coins at my new best friend, he ran down the street to a butchers and brought me back two carving knives. It was better than nothing. Since money seemed to the key to getting me what I want, I kept my head down with my hair tucked under my hat, hoping to pull of stable boy chic and followed the clerks instructions on how to get to the library while praying I wasn't too late.

Once there, I closed my eyes, begging every ability I had to sense the supernatural to do their thing, and instead was rewarded by being able to feel the presence of two Slayers. It was easy to spot them, lacking the finer dressing of the more noble gentleman around us and as they came out of a pub, they mounted the two grey horses out front.

As soon as they kicked the animals into a quicker pace, I decided to borrow a horse too. Problem was, the only remaining one; a rather pretty looking chestnut - had it's rider standing at its side talking to two ladies.

"Sorry, hi, how much for your horse?" I interrupted.

"Excuse me?" He snapped, looking me over with obvious disgust, before it soon clicked in his mind, I was a woman. "What-"

"Here." I grabbed another handful of gold coins and shoved them at him and then a few more. "That enough?"

He nodded dumbly and I wondered how much money I was casually throwing around. Unhitching the reins, I managed to get into the saddle without too much trouble, and it took me a few attempts to make it move.

Why couldn't they have motorbikes?

I used to ride as a kid and after a few bad attempts to pick up the pace, Brownie and I were racing down the street after the two greys. They hadn't gone far and slowing down, I kept them insight. As they stopped near the edge of the town, my neck got a little tingly, and the tell tale signs of the monsters we govern came to life. There was nothing on the building to tell me what it was and as they went in, I hitched my horse leaving Brownie on his own.

A demon stood at the door and I missed seeing what they said or did as they went in. I might have to break in, and as I approached, the man stood to attention. Stopping in front of him, he simply sniffed; well snorted, before opening the door for me to enter.

That was easy.

I slipped my hand into the satchel holding my weapons and the bare room gave nothing away. A dusty old desk sat to one corner beside a fireplace. Looking behind me, I went towards the doorway which led into some kind of sitting room where a broken staircase told me there was another level. The lounges looked old, even for this period and the temperature felt like it dropped to near freezing as I went into the room. I could sense others around, the supernatural and my kind, so where were they?

The front door creaked open and a murmur of whispering voices had me pressing myself against the wall, as they walked around in the other room, Daring to peek around the corner, one of the men put his arm into the fireplace and with a click, the opposite wall slide to the side to reveal a well lit tunnel. The four entered as if they'd done it a million times before and as it closed behind them, I left my terrible hiding place.

"Interesting." I mumbled.

Was Sobek down there; Cain and Portia?

Before I could take another step, the floor creaked above me and the more I listened, the more obvious footsteps became. Pulling out a knife, I went up the stairs, testing each step as I tried to remain silent. Reached the landing, a woman's laugh was heard at the end of the corridor and the steady chatter of voices had me wondering where the real party was.

Making it to the door, I swallowed nervously as there was no denying Portia's voice on the other side or Cains. Worst of all, Alistair was there too.

"You will be a rich man, Mr. Bunting." Cain sounded more amused than anything.

"Perhaps. Though the guilt already weighs on my conscience."

"You have killed before, am I right?"  Killed?

"Not like this." Alistair snapped. "Just those, deserving."

"A small price to pay. Think of your future, your son's future. You have made yourself immortal, a legend among men!" Portia joined in.

"So it is done? Are we finished?" Alistair ignored it all, and as the wood creaked again, I realised someone was coming to the door. Shit.

Trying the handle on the next room, it opened with ease and without stopping, I swiftly went in just as the other door opened. Peeking through the lock, I couldn't see much, but knew Alistair had left as his footsteps disappeared down the stairs. Cain stood just outside the door now, and I held my breath.

"Will he do it?" He asked, I'm guessing Portia.

"Indeed. The Treaty will be completed and if not, I fear your blood will cover his sword. He isn't like other men of his kind, and of course it shan't kill you, yet it will feel like it did" Portia answered slowly.

"Very well. I would be disappointed if he did not at least try." He mused, before sighing heavily.

"Your path is changing once more my friend. Your future is unclear to me. This Treaty is the key to many things, but what it means to you, I do not know."

"The last time my actions were unclear to you, I ended up nearly drowning because of that, serpent wench. Try harder." He moved so fast, I nearly fell backwards as the pale fabric of Portia's gown rushed towards the door. I was scared she'd be joining me as the whole room seemed to shake from the force she hit it. "What changed!"

His mood changed as quickly as I could click my fingers and the gurgling sound she made told me he was strangling her. I hesitated. Did I help her?

"Are you toying with me witch?" He snapped.

"N-no No."

"What has changed, and why do you only tell me now!" Cain roared.

"I do not know, it came to me just then!" Portia coughed as he let her go. "Something, something happened."

"What?" He demanded, pacing the corridor in front of us.

Looking at the window, I contemplated climbing out, but I was too scared to move in case I was found. Luckily they seemed too distracted to sense me. For now at least, but then again my lucky hadn't exactly been great today, which reminded me - where is Sobek?

Downstairs?

Egypt?

"There is-" Portia stopped, gasping instead and daring to look through the hole again, I saw her stand.

"You!" Cain snapped, and instantly I decided to try the window.

Someone spoke, their words only sounding familiar as it was definitely not English and I couldn't understand them.

'Speak of the devil.' I thought to myself.

Cain spoke back, well, shouted at Sobek and the pair got talking to one another; catching up on old times perhaps. Considering Cain had cursed him, their tones told me more about their conversation than their words. I couldn't leave, Sobek was my way back home and nearing the door, three loud bangs had me slapping my hands over my mouth so I didn't scream.

"Get the papers and go down stairs. I need to make sure that thing is destroyed before I sacrifice my powers for this world." He ordered Portia.

The scurrying rush of light steps and the fabric of the dress moving told me she did as he asked.

"Fool. Welcome to this century, guns are a marvelous invention." Cain hissed and I looked in time to see Portia appear and then vanish as she teleported herself away.

"You will not stop me. Human weapons will not kill me." Sobek snapped back.

"True. Though I can and you're just in time, I was needing some additional strength." Cain vanished from my view and Sobek's screams had me covering my ears.

He couldn't die.

I couldn't let Cain kill him, at least not until I was back where I belonged.

"How are you here? What magic is this?" Cain soon declared, just as I got my nerve up to go and interrupt.

"My magic. I come from the future, and all I had to do was offer a replacement for you life to be able to take it." Sobek laughed; it didn't sound healthy, but he managed it.

"What?" Cain asked flatly.

"A life for a life; hers for yours. I know better than to alter the past too much. I know the cost of time travel.  I'm sure once I find her, she will not care once she knows that you are dead."

"She?"

Me? He was always going to leave me here; a sacrifice.

"There is a reason why your Oracle never saw your change in fate. It's because her powers will not allow her to see you die!" Sobek sounded stronger now and my stomach sunk.

What do I do?

Now Cain laughed and the sound of fist on flesh shook me to my core. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door to find the pair of them fighting and suddenly Cain's hands glowed red as he sent a lightning bolt at Sobek; who was now looking very much like the tomb hunk now. Sobek took the hit, and then issued one of his own.

What the hell do I do?

Magic fights never ended well, especially for me. Last time magic was being flung around like this; I died. I needed a plan, what would Zane do? Logan? What would anyone do? 

To start with, I shouldn't panic. Easy.

Cain was knocked down and I panicked. My heart was racing as I froze up in the doorway and suddenly he was gone as Sobek sent him flying over the balcony. As the crocoman followed him, I ran to the barrier and looked down to find Cain must have been playing him as a long golden blade sliced through Sobek's neck.

"I guess you can die, reptile." He spat on the corpse and wiped the trickle of blood from the corner of his mouth before adjusting his waistcoat and jacket.

I could ask get Alistair to ask Cain about sending me home. Surely if my relative knew who I was, he would help me. He had to; right? If I didn't come back, Dad would go back to Huntington and so, I'm sure they would come from me if no one here could help me. 

Did magic evolve like our world, could they do things in my time that they couldn't here?

Feeling faint, I watched Cain begin to leave the room and started towards the stairs. Maybe Sobek had something on him that could transport him back. I barely made it to the top when the corpse suddenly rose and in his hand, the globe started to flicker a golden light before it began to hover over the head. My jaw literally dropped as Sobek's head reconnected to his body, the blow Cain had served him with hadn't gone all the way through. Instantly the golden sword now appeared in his free hand as the other held the globe.

That was the source of his power and as he raised the blade to throw it at Cain, I knew two things. One, I needed that globe and two, I couldn't let him kill Cain.

"No!" I yelled, leaping over the banister and drawing both my knives, Sobek turned just as I landed on him.

My blades went into his chest as he did a terrible job of hiding his surprise and with them stuck there, I rolled over and grabbed his fallen weapon. Of course this got Cain's attention and daring a look up, he now stood watching; just as surprised as Sobek. Portia appeared at his side as I managed to get to my feet and Sobek growled, reminding me again of his crocodile nature.

"Stupid girl. Stupid!" He hissed.

"Fuck you, asshole!" I struck out at him but another sword appeared in his hands, to block my hit.

So we started to fight.

In front of Cain and Portia.

And I was winning.

I don't know what the deal was with this sword, but it was light, sharp and cut his arm off with one swift strike. It felt good in my hand, like it had been made just for me and raising it once more, I was ready for what ever he came at me with next. Sobek roared as his human mask wavered, the first sign of his leather skin appearing from under his colour as it started up to cover his face.

"You kill me, you will never get home!" He warned.

"Funny, I'm pretty sure me going back was never part of your plan." It hit me then, what he said about changing the past.

What the hell have I done?

He laughed as I did what Cain didn't; the one sure thing that kills practically all demons, and possibly gods too - I cut off his head as simply as I was cutting cheese. Still clutching my new favourite weapon, I grabbed the globe before he could come back again. Cain's clapping snapped me back into the moment and I turned to face him, absolutely terrified.

"Hunter." He greeted calmly, and despite the adrenaline still coursing through my veins, I couldn't move. "We have met before, have we not?"

"Hello, Cain." My hand was near cramping point as I gripped the sword tight. The globe started to glow in my hand, almost burning me as I struggled to hold it. "This is where his powers come from."

"Observant. " He mumbled, holding his own hand out for it.

I hesitated, but it got too hot for me to hold and passed it over. Please don't let me regret this.

Cain said a few words I didn't know, and waved his hand over it before his face lit up in approval and he turned to Portia. "Come here."

She obeyed and taking her hand, Cain sliced her palm open with the edge of his nail. Portia didn't even flinch, her gaze too focused on me to pay attention and as the blood dripped over the glowing ball of light, Sobek did too. I had a feeling he wasn't coming back this time, and I stepped back as his body shattered like glass. He turned to sand, gold like I imagined the egyptian deserts to be and it all curled up into Cain's hand to end up trapped inside the ball.

"This is now yours." He told Portia, the golden ball of light simply hovered in the air until she snapped out of her trance with me to take it. "Seems like I didn't have to strain myself after all."

"It is safe with me, my lord." Portia bowed as the held the globe to her chest and I could only stare at her as it vanished beneath her skin. "Hunter, your name?"

Me, my name? Shit.

"Darius." I answered, deepening my voice. I could still try and pull off being a guy.

A coy, little smile had her ruby lips curling at the edges, and I knew she knew I was lying. Daring to look at Cain, I think he suspected as much too.

"Darius?" He asked, not believing.

"Yes, sir." I answered weakly.

"You do not look like a Darius to me."

"A Bob, perhaps?" I asked weakly; feeling about two foot tall under their gaze.

"You're a woman and I know we've met earlier in the day. Do not think me a fool." He warned. "Your name."

"I'd rather not tell you."

His eyes narrowed, and considering how quickly I'd seen him lose his temper earlier, I was playing with fire right now. "Why?"

"She is right not to speak it." Portia jumped in. "You my dear, make me see a future I had yet to witness. You're a Hunter."

"I thnk we've established that." I answered quickly. "Can you-"

"He can, especially now you have spared him the trouble of creating The Treaty. You saved Cain's life today, Hunter. After all that has happened, if he had died today, you would have impacted the future like you could never imagine."

Actually, I could imagine. Dracula already existed, so it wasn't like I could have stopped Cain bringing on that horror, but who, or what could have actually stood up to the Warlocks if he wasn't around?

"The Treaty needed to be made, and I never meant to change the past. Can we try and forget all of this?" I felt like begging Portia to do just that.

"Tell me what you saw!" Cain demanded, glaring at Portia.

"Sometimes the future doesn't need to be told my Lord. You two will meet again, of that I assure you. You owe this girl your life, and perhaps one day you will repay her in kind, but for now, you will send her back to where she belongs." There was no missing the order to her tone.

"Why did you come here, with him?" Cain really needed work on his please and thank yous.

"I wanted to see what happens today." 

"Why?" He asked; still demanding.

"Curious." I shrugged.

"That's a lie Hunter. The truth or I will keep you here."

"You're up to something and I was hoping coming back today would help me work out what it was. Both of you are." I admitted. "I'm sure of it."

Cain looked at Portia, who again just gave a little smile. "What if I could make your little trip disappear from, our, minds?"

"You'd do that?" I asked at the same time Cain shook his head.

"Yes. If you truly are as important as I see, I will not need to remember this and Cain shall not need to either."

Could I trust her?

Was this all linked to what was happening now?

"Trust me, I swear it to you by blood." She cut her palm open again and extended her hand, while Cain seemed to accept her decision without a word of complaint. That only made me even more nervous, but if they can't remember, maybe the future will be different anyway?

I took a deep breath and held out my hand, and with her free one - she cut my palm as Cain had done to her before we shook hands. "I swear, I will erase this from our memories, today."

A jolt went through me, like a spark of electricity and I knew she was telling the truth. We'd just made a blood oath.

"Now, send the poor girl home Cain." Portia ordered, the pair of them sharing a look that had me feeling uneasy all over again.

"With pleasure." Sure enough, a few words later, a portal opened in the floor in front of me. Just like that? "Until next time, Hunter."

"Until next time." I tell him, and then I take the plunge before he can change his mind or I can screw anything else up. I know what he is capable of and I wasn't going to risk sticking around for any longer than I had to.

) O (

"Elise?" Dad calls from the darkness. "Alfie, there she is. Get her, and let's go home!"

I can't breath as something grabs me around my waist and when I do open my eyes, we're back in his yard. It's still dark, he looks the same as when I left and Alfie is quick to check me over.

"What on earth are you wearing?" Dad questions as he helps me stand once Alfie is done. "What happened?"

I give him a big hug, thankful just to be back before doing the same to Alfie. They're here, we're at the house; nothing seems to have changed - so far.

"Elise, honey, what did you see?" He asks softly, patting my back as the three of us end up in a group hug.

"Nothing." I stutter, before coughing to clear my throat. "Well, nothing the record books don't already tell us."

It was a tiny lie and all around the floor begins to shake. Dad grabs my arm, pulling me towards him as sand and dirt begin to fall from the ceiling. Alfie wraps his tail around us - knocking the sword from my hand and before I can protest, everything vanishes.

An hour later, my costume is in a pile by my bedroom door and fresh from my shower, I can't stop staring at my wrist, even in the dark. The cut from Portia is nothing more than an angry red line on my palm now, but before my shower, our blood had covered my hand and after washing it all away, I now had a reminder of my trip back to the past.

If anyone saw it, you'd think it was just a tattoo; two crescent moons that sat either side of a full one - but I had a feeling it was something else. How I got it only helped with that considering it started to appear as I washed the blood away.

With a sigh, I closed my eyes; exhausted. What I have got myself into now?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.6K 647 47
Highest Ranking #14 in Hunter 4-12-19 #21 in Warlock 10-25-18 #55 in Demon 1-19-19 #431 in Werewolf 4-15-19 Book One "MATE!" He yelled. I stared at...
120 12 12
The relationship between vampires and vampire hunters has always been a strained one, especially now that there has been an official 'truce' between...
61K 5.9K 60
Vampires have Slayers. Werewolves have Trackers. Everything else has a Hunter. --- Defeated gods. Check. Stopped apocalypse (twice). Check. Able to...
1.7K 279 27
#girlswhotravel And fight vampires. Rachel and Daniel broke every rule in the Hunter book. Don't turn humans into Hunters. Daniel did that when he sa...