The Twisted Way (Champions of...

By AnnaIdanBerg

With the Wayfarer Homeworld attempting to kidnap or kill Tirqwin and Khediva, Queen Maratobia realizes she mu... More

Chapter 1: Battles Royal
Chapter 1.1
Chapter 1.2
Chapter 2: Requests and Bequests
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 3: The Prince's Children
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 4: The Regency
Chapter 4.1
Chapter 4.2
Chapter 5: Center Stage
Chapter 5.1
Chapter 6: The Citizens Council
Chapter 6.1
Chapter 6.2
Chapter 6.3
Chapter 6.4
Chapter 7: Discoveries
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 8: Waiting for the Blow
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 8.2
Chapter 9: Finding the Way
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 10: The Betrayal
Chapter 10.1
Chapter 10.2
Chapter 10.3
Chapter 11.1
Chapter 11.2
Chapter 11.3
Chapter 12: The Way Home
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 12.2
Chapter 13: The Regent's Ball
Chapter 13.1
Chapter 13.2
Chapter 14: The Price of Peace
Chapter 14.1
Chapter 14.2
Chapter 14.3
Chapter 15: Into the Arms of the Enemy
Chapter 15.1
Chapter 16: The Battle for Dansestari
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 16.2
Chapter 17: Aftermath
Chapter 17.1
Chapter 17.2
Chapter 18: The Prodigal's Tale
Chapter 18.1
Chapter 18.2
Chapter 18.3
Chapter 18.4
Chapter 19: Give and Take
Chapter 19.1
Chapter 20: The Funeral
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 21: Close Encounters
Chapter 21.1
Chapter 21.2
Chapter 21.3
Chapter 21.4
Chapter 22: Sabrina's Decision
Chapter 22.1
Chapter 23: Point of Origin
Chapter 23.1
Chapter 23.2
Chapter 23.3
Chapter 24: The Fallen
Chapter 24.1
Chapter 24.2
Chapter 24.3
Chapter 25: In the Dark
Chapter 25.1
Chapter 26: The Twisted Way
Chapter 26.1
Chapter 27: The Return
Chapter 27.1
Chapter 27.2
Chapter 27.3

Chapter 11: An Intersection of Agendas

10 4 1
By AnnaIdanBerg

The next day, a yawning Sabrina sat at the head of the table and looked around her at the faces of the Citizens Council, most of whom were trying to stifle their own yawns. The meeting had been scheduled very early, actually before the sun was up, to enable Sabrina to meet her other obligations.

Joara Narendra, the Council chair and now its liaison as well, convened the meeting formally and began with her report on conditions in the principality of Bathir. The largest and most prosperous province was focused on reviving its export of watergems; unfortunately, the Lthosyennes were almost the only race willing to brave Homeworld's wrath by openly trading with Praxatillus, and Lthos had little use for watergems. A thriving unofficial market had opened up, with some Bathiran residents stealing the gems from the mines and selling them to smugglers, depriving the province of the tax revenue.

"If we do not open a legitimate market for the stones, this will only worsen," Joara concluded.

Other principalities had the same type of difficulty; either they could not export goods to generate revenue, or they could not get supplies to produce anything. Tassan's report on Zarn was last, and when he rose to speak he gave Sabrina a moment's considering glance before beginning. He spoke mostly about the principality's efforts to rebuild its massive solar collectors to power its cities. The collectors had been a backup system before the War, but as Praxatillus' supplies and equipment began to wear out they had been put back in service. Near the end of the war, the Xoentrols had smashed the majority of the collectors. The people of Zarn had resorted to much older technologies to try to repair them. Sabrina surmised that they were currently working with something similar to Earth's experiments with solar power.

"Thank you," Sabrina said when his report was finished. "As I see it, the imperative we're faced with is increasing our exports and imports. Either we offer incentives to other races to brave Homeworld's barricade, or we form our own merchant fleet."

Tassan shook his head. "We haven't the ships to form anything."

"But perhaps we could enter into partnerships with people who do have ships," Naora Aorvin said. "If we offer to crew merchant ships and share the profits, then we bear the risk and the ship owners make some easy money."

"But risk losing their ships," General Daman nar Zhahghai said. "Homeworld is far more likely to fire on a ship crewed by Praxatillians."

"We need some adventurous traders," Sabrina sighed. "I'm not very familiar with galactic affairs...does anyone know of a group who might take the risk of dealing with us?"

There was a moment of thoughtful silence. Then Nyels Corban said, "Somewhere, there must be. But we've been so isolated, how is anyone to know we want to trade again?"

Sabrina drummed her fingers on the table. "I think we need an economic task force. Our ambassadors are busy with other things; perhaps we should send out a group whose primary mission is to seek out trading partners. Any thoughts?"

Joara said, "I like the idea. A group of representatives familiar with what we have to offer, with your authority to make limited guarantees of incentives, might be able to bring trade back to Praxatillus."

"I will discuss it with the Minister of Economic Affairs," Sabrina said. "Other items on the agenda?"

General Zhahghai said, "My lady, on behalf of the refugees of the moon colonies, I petition for resettlement."

"Resettlement? But I understood there was nothing left on the moon," Sabrina said, puzzled.

"We wish to rebuild. Solèce was once a breadbasket; it could be so again, with work. Allíos and Fhiriz once were beautiful settlements. Some of the livestock may have survived and bred over the century since the colonies were devastated in the first wave of Xoentrol attacks. Some of the crops may have gone to seed and survived. We must at least attempt it, my lady."

"But the moon is not defensible," Sabrina protested. "Commander Rayland tells me that our orbital platform network is not intact, and that our early warning systems have developed blind spots. We might not be able to tell if anyone entered our system until they were in range of the moon."

"We are willing to take the chance," Zhahghai said. "A group of us have banded together, some farmers, some traders, some scientists. We wish to go up to the moon and try to rebuild, to help those left on Praxatillus and to restore our heritage. We do not ask for protection; we know you cannot give it. What we do ask is aid and assistance, in the form of an exemption from taxation and the right to set up our own jurisdiction. We will answer to you, but as an independent commonwealth. We have drawn up a formal petition, if you would care to review it."

"I would be pleased to," Sabrina said, hiding her misgivings. "Anything else?"

Joara said, "The Steward of Bathir has asked me to invite you to address the people of Bathir in person. You would be more than welcome."

"Thank you," Sabrina said. "I will check whether that is possible."

Tassan shot her a sharp glance, as if he were surprised.

"Yes, Citizen Nikolar?" Sabrina challenged.

"I was wondering," he said, after a moment, "whether we could not ask our Queen, in her wanderings, to obtain a few key supplies, or negotiate for trade agreements."

A collective gasp went up, and General Zhahghai exclaimed, "You would send our Queen out to be your bartering agent? For shame!"

Tassan began, "She might as well—"

"Stop," Sabrina commanded. Everyone fell silent, looking at her. "The Queen is not in communication with us at this time, and though I am sure she would be pleased to help in any way possible, I do not feel it is in Praxatillus' best interest to encourage her to contact other races, exposing her to Homeworld's attacks. Now, is there anything else? No? Then thank you all very much, and I shall see you at our next meeting."

Everyone rose, bowed, and began filing out. Tassan lingered until everyone else was gone, then said, "I did not mean to sound disrespectful of the Queen. I beg your pardon if I offended you."

"It was nothing that hadn't already crossed my mind," Sabrina sighed.

"How are you feeling?"

"Well enough. Still a little groggy, but nothing serious. And you? Your face has healed nicely."

"Thank you, I am fine. Sleeping better than you, from the looks of things." He peered closely at her eyes, which she knew were red-rimmed.

"I've...had some nightmares. I'll get over it." She shrugged.

"You'd do better to talk to someone about them," he said. "Believe me, I know."

She sighed again. "Everyone's already so worried. How can I make a fuss about a little thing like nightmares?"

"I am not worried. You could talk to me, if you like," he offered, after a pause.

Sabrina gave him a dry smile. "No, you're not worried, are you? I don't think you even like me much."

He returned the dry smile, his mouth twisting at one corner. "It's fashionable to flatter the Regent. I have always preferred to be unfashionable."

"I suppose I need someone to keep me grounded, with Scotty gone," she replied, half turning away and sitting wearily in a nearby chair.

"Is there any word?" he asked softly.

"No," she sighed. After a moment, she spread her hands in her lap. "I keep wondering if my dream is about him. There's a dark tunnel. It's cold, and I can't see anything. I'm being carried—it's all jolting and awkward, and I don't know where I'm going. There are people with me but I can't understand them, don't know them. There's a woman, she sounds angry and breathless; there's a man too, and he sounds even more angry. Sometimes I think it's a metaphor for my whole life on Praxatillus. I never get to the end of the tunnel, and nothing ever happens—we just keep running, and I know there's something awful in the dark, chasing us." She hugged herself, shivering.

Tassan smiled. "That's not a dream, my lady, it's a memory. I thought you woke for an instant on the way, but I wasn't sure."

Sabrina looked at him, startled. "The night of the attack? But I've never seen a tunnel like that in Dansestari."

"It's the secret passage. One of many, I gather, though Major Darice was understandably reticent about it. After we dealt with the attackers, we decided not to go into the hallway, in case they had companions. Major Darice found the hidden door, and she navigated the tunnels while I carried you. It came out somewhere underground, near Control, and we went straight to the infirmary from there."

"Tunnels!" Sabrina exclaimed. "Oh, in an ancient place like this I shouldn't be surprised, I guess, but—why didn't anybody tell me?"

"It's a secret," he grinned. "Major Darice wouldn't have let me in on it if you hadn't been senseless and so alarmingly pale. I'm sworn not to reveal what I saw that night to anyone."

Sabrina shook her head, her smile more genuine. "And yet, again, you seem to think secrecy doesn't apply to me."

"Withholding information from the Regent could be construed as treason," he replied. "Besides, if anyone asks, I'll simply tell them you are a merciless interrogator."

"It's true, too," Sabrina grinned suddenly. Then she sobered again. "Well, I'm glad to know it's nothing sinister lurking in my subconscious, just a stray half-memory." She looked up as Darice entered. "Am I late?"

"Almost, my lady," Darice replied, exchanging nods of greeting with Tassan.

Sabrina rose. "Thank you, Citizen Nikolar. I shall see you at our next meeting."

"My lady, would it be an inconvenience to you for me to paint your roses this evening?"

"No, please feel free," Sabrina replied as she hurried out the door with Darice in tow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

909 316 90
Nine years have passed on Earth since Sabrina and Scotty Devon returned from Praxatillus. A surprise visitor to Sabrina's office turns out to be Miah...
80.2K 10.8K 38
A standalone novel set in the Astronomicon Universe. ( REVAMPED in 2016 ) In 2078, whilst working the Trojan asteroid cloud, Captain Taylor and the c...
213 21 21
Five years after the Kyan invasion of Praxatillus nearly succeeded, there is an uneasy feeling in the Realm that the worst of the war lies ahead. Wit...
160 0 36
Trouble will find you where you least expect it. Both Belle and Ben are caught off-guard with it themselves. When an old nemesis comes back to settl...