The Twisted Way (Champions of...

By AnnaIdanBerg

With the Wayfarer Homeworld attempting to kidnap or kill Tirqwin and Khediva, Queen Maratobia realizes she mu... More

Chapter 1: Battles Royal
Chapter 1.1
Chapter 1.2
Chapter 2: Requests and Bequests
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 3: The Prince's Children
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 4: The Regency
Chapter 4.1
Chapter 4.2
Chapter 5: Center Stage
Chapter 5.1
Chapter 6: The Citizens Council
Chapter 6.1
Chapter 6.2
Chapter 6.4
Chapter 7: Discoveries
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 8: Waiting for the Blow
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 8.2
Chapter 9: Finding the Way
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 10: The Betrayal
Chapter 10.1
Chapter 10.2
Chapter 10.3
Chapter 11: An Intersection of Agendas
Chapter 11.1
Chapter 11.2
Chapter 11.3
Chapter 12: The Way Home
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 12.2
Chapter 13: The Regent's Ball
Chapter 13.1
Chapter 13.2
Chapter 14: The Price of Peace
Chapter 14.1
Chapter 14.2
Chapter 14.3
Chapter 15: Into the Arms of the Enemy
Chapter 15.1
Chapter 16: The Battle for Dansestari
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 16.2
Chapter 17: Aftermath
Chapter 17.1
Chapter 17.2
Chapter 18: The Prodigal's Tale
Chapter 18.1
Chapter 18.2
Chapter 18.3
Chapter 18.4
Chapter 19: Give and Take
Chapter 19.1
Chapter 20: The Funeral
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 21: Close Encounters
Chapter 21.1
Chapter 21.2
Chapter 21.3
Chapter 21.4
Chapter 22: Sabrina's Decision
Chapter 22.1
Chapter 23: Point of Origin
Chapter 23.1
Chapter 23.2
Chapter 23.3
Chapter 24: The Fallen
Chapter 24.1
Chapter 24.2
Chapter 24.3
Chapter 25: In the Dark
Chapter 25.1
Chapter 26: The Twisted Way
Chapter 26.1
Chapter 27: The Return
Chapter 27.1
Chapter 27.2
Chapter 27.3

Chapter 6.3

11 5 0
By AnnaIdanBerg

Sabrina's meeting with Rassir was followed by one with Rassir, Rayland, Mukryilla, Minister of Foreign Affairs Mendani nar Leyahrt, and the head of Praxatillus' intelligence-gathering force, Ferostahn Thala. Sabrina was familiar with Minister Leyahrt from her sessions with the Council of Ministers and knew him for a thoughtful, clear-minded man, if a little protocol-bound, but Ferostahn Thala was a stranger. One of the few non-Miahns in the upper ranks of the Ministries, Thala had a reputation for being careful, thorough, and impossible to surprise, qualities which made her inferiors regard her with awe.

"As far as we can ascertain, Homeworld has made no move yet in response to your speech," Thala said. "Considering that they believe they have destroyed Wayship Khediva, they may think you are merely blustering after the fact. If we have neither the Ship nor the Tirqwin, there is no reason for them to attack."

"They're bound to discover their mistake sooner or later," Sabrina said.

"Yes," Rayland said, "and we must be ready. Repairs to our orbital installations are proceeding according to schedule, and we hope to be able to accommodate the Lthosyenne grain shipment when it arrives in a few days."

"Yes, this is a limited breathing space; we'd better take advantage of it to import all we can," Sabrina said. "We don't know how Homeworld will react when they learn Khediva is alive. They may strike at us in retaliation, or to draw her here." She frowned. "My problem is, I can't very well approach them to talk about an armistice while they're laboring under this delusion. It would be bad faith, and that's all we need!"

"We need this time," Leyahrt said. "Let them discover it when they do; until then, let us keep quiet and rebuild."

"Yes, that's the wise thing," Sabrina sighed. "When the truth is out, then's the time to talk peace."

She was aware of skeptical looks from everyone but Rayland. Rassir said, "We must make the attempt, it is true. But we must also consider that it will probably fail, and be ready to withstand whatever Homeworld does."

"Yes," Sabrina said, "obviously. But we cannot stay at war forever. Sooner or later we are going to have to make some kind of truce with Homeworld. Sooner would be better for us all."

"You speak rationally," Rassir said, "but their hatred of us is an irrational thing."

"Their hatred is based on fear," Sabrina said, "and fears can be dissipated. We must convince them that we have no desire to harm them."

"How do you plan to do that," Mukryilla demanded, "after millennia of suspicion and war?"

"Arbitration, to start," Sabrina said. "Obviously our two planets could give each other assurance after assurance, and if neither of us believes them, then it does no good at all. But if we can find a neutral party whom we both trust, who will guarantee to penalize either party if they renege, then we might be able to get somewhere."

"Lthos?" Leyahrt guessed.

"I think so. They are our oldest allies, yet they have always maintained relations with Homeworld as well. They are the perfect arbiters."

"This has been tried," Rassir reminded her. "There have been four Treaties of Lthos. All were broken."

"I've studied those," Sabrina said. "They were all signed by Praxatillus' ruler and ratified by the Council of Ministers, but the Guardian and the Council of Trême were never signatories. That's nonsense, when it's the Guardian Homeworld's really afraid of."

Rassir said, "You do not have the authority to negotiate on behalf of the Guardian. None of us do."

Sabrina said, "I've looked into it, and since Mara is both Queen and Guardian, anything I sign in her name as Queen binds her as Guardian too. But I propose to have Lady Imari countersign anything I do in the way of an armistice, and to have the Council of Trême as well as the Council of Ministers ratify it, just to be sure everything is right and proper."

Mukryilla said, "If you can get Lady Imari in the same room with a Homeworld negotiator—"

"Lady Imari is devoted to Praxatillus and the Realm," Sabrina said. "She will do what is necessary, no matter how difficult. I trust the same is true of us all."

A murmur of affirmation answered her. Sabrina turned to Leyahrt. "Who is our ambassador on Lthos? I'll want to meet them before we begin this. That role is pivotal."

Leyahrt nodded. "I shall ask Ambassador Olviron to come as soon as he is free. He may have valuable insights; he has been on Lthos for one hundred years now."

"Good. Is there anything else?" Sabrina asked, glancing at the clock on the wall.

"No," Rassir said, after glancing around the table.

"Then this meeting is adjourned," Sabrina announced, suppressing a sigh of relief.

____________

When she returned to her rooms, she found Aliza bursting with news. "I couldn't resist staying, my lady, while Lady Imari opened your gift. Oh, you should have seen it! She was speechless! I thought she was going to cry."

"I hope that means she liked it," Sabrina said, raising an eyebrow.

"Liked it! She never saw anything so beautiful. That was the first thing she said, when she could speak. She asked me to convey her gratitude and to ask permission to call on you soon to thank you in person."

"Well, that sounds promising," Sabrina said. "Of course I'll see her, if we can work it into our schedules."

"Oh, and I think I've found a room for your roses. It used to be a conservatory, part of the rooms traditionally occupied by the Guardian."

"Oh, I can't take those," Sabrina said in dismay.

"Why not? The Queen is living in the Royal Residence, and there won't be another Guardian until she dies, centuries from now," Aliza pointed out. "The Inheritor, when she's born, has her own rooms. I don't think Her Majesty would mind you using just that one room."

"I'd better check with Imari first," Sabrina said dubiously.

"Wait till you see it. It's beautiful, all glass and light. You'll love it," Aliza predicted.

"Let me talk to Imari first, before I go falling in love with it," Sabrina said. "Aliza, do you have a minute? I'd like to discuss something with you."

"Yes, my lady?"

"As you know, I haven't appointed another Mistress of the Household to replace me, and as a result things have gotten a little chaotic. It's not anybody's fault but mine; don't think I'm criticizing. But I want to take care of that."

Aliza looked uncomfortable. "If I'm not being presumptuous, my lady, may I ask to be removed from consideration? With my upcoming marriage, I don't think I should take on more duties."

"I know. I had been thinking of you, but when I knew you were getting married I knew you wouldn't want it. It's a full-time job. Nobody knows that better than I!" Sabrina sighed. "I feel it should be one of you ladies-in-waiting, just because you're more familiar with it than anyone else. Except Selémahs, of course, and she's got enough on her hands on the Miahn end. So that leaves me with Rndara, Reauwina, and Sehaèri. I'd like your thoughts on which one to choose."

"Oh, Sehaèri," Aliza said immediately.

"Why?" Sabrina was surprised by her definite tone.

"I know she'd like a reason to live here all the time. She has a good Steward for Pendarazloch, so she's not needed there much. I know Reauwina does a lot of work herself in Skardaros, so she wouldn't want a full-time job, and Rndara...well, I think she has some other things going on," Aliza explained. "Plus I think that you would get along with Sehaèri better than with either of the others."

"I thought we were getting along just fine, until she asked to be relieved so suddenly. I asked her if anything was wrong, but she just said it was personal. I've been a little worried about it, to tell you the truth," Sabrina said.

Aliza shrugged. "It will be good for her to get used to the idea of Miosch marrying someone else. I don't think he would ever have married her anyway. I don't think he'll marry anyone—not of his own initiative."

"What are you talking about?" Sabrina said, mystified.

"Why..." Aliza blushed. "By tradition, he's supposed to marry you."

Sabrina gasped. "Rayland's blood heir is Sehaèri's Miosch? Oh, I had no idea! It never occurred to me; I never saw him before the adoption ceremony! Oh, dear, no wonder she didn't want to stay. I must talk to her. Ask her to come up for breakfast tomorrow. Oh, and ask Rndara and Reauwina, too. I'll announce it to everybody at once, if she accepts."

"That works. Rndara has already asked to see you. Oh, and you'll need another lady-in-waiting, then, to replace Sehaèri. I'll get you a list of possible candidates."

Sabrina sighed. "I'll let my Mistress of the Household choose."

"Hey, sis!" came a shout from the main door.

"In the sitting room," Sabrina called back.

After a few minutes, Scotty sauntered in. "Hey, Rina, didya know your living room is full of rosebushes?"

"Yes. They're a gift from Mara and Tirqwin."

"Really? Did they send anything for me?" he asked eagerly.

"Just their love."

"Blegh," he grinned, draping himself on a loveseat across from her. "Suppose if I made a speech, they'd send me a Big Mac? I've been cravin' 'em lately. Hi, Lady Aliza."

"Hello, Captain."

"Congratulations. I heard you and Jahgh are finally gettin' married."

"Oh, do you know him?" Aliza exclaimed.

"Yeah, I met him yesterday when I was helping Rayland inspect the garrison at Bathir. Um, Rina, the reason I'm here is that Rayland wants us both to dinner tonight." He grimaced. "With Imari and Miosch. A real family affair."

Sabrina sighed. "Aliza, when you talk to Sehaèri, will you please tell her that I intend to inform my father tonight, formally and officially, that I do not intend to marry while I am Regent? I don't guess I can get out of this, since there aren't any official guests for dinner tonight."

Aliza smiled sympathetically. "At least you've made it up with Lady Imari."

"You did? How d'ya manage that?" Scotty said, impressed.

"Why, Scotty, in the time-honored way of making up with offended women. I sent her roses," Sabrina grinned. "Remember that tactic. It works!"

"Yeah, yeah, I'll let you know if I ever get time for a girlfriend," he replied.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 228 62
The big city can be a dangerous place for anyone, but for someone new to its dangers, it can be deadly. Recently escaped from the people that created...
699 316 90
Nine years have passed on Earth since Sabrina and Scotty Devon returned from Praxatillus. A surprise visitor to Sabrina's office turns out to be Miah...
3K 213 30
Anna Zain can give and take away life. It's part of her half-alien half-human heritage. In the alien society, it's also punishable by death. Anna's a...
582 233 115
On medical leave due to the genetic changes begun by an ancient plan embedded in the Great Crystal, Sabrina Devon and her fiancé negotiate not only t...