The Twisted Way (Champions of...

By AnnaIdanBerg

With the Wayfarer Homeworld attempting to kidnap or kill Tirqwin and Khediva, Queen Maratobia realizes she mu... More

Chapter 1: Battles Royal
Chapter 1.1
Chapter 1.2
Chapter 2: Requests and Bequests
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 3: The Prince's Children
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 4: The Regency
Chapter 4.1
Chapter 4.2
Chapter 5: Center Stage
Chapter 5.1
Chapter 6: The Citizens Council
Chapter 6.1
Chapter 6.2
Chapter 6.3
Chapter 6.4
Chapter 7: Discoveries
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 8: Waiting for the Blow
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 8.2
Chapter 9: Finding the Way
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 10: The Betrayal
Chapter 10.1
Chapter 10.2
Chapter 10.3
Chapter 11: An Intersection of Agendas
Chapter 11.1
Chapter 11.2
Chapter 11.3
Chapter 12: The Way Home
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 12.2
Chapter 13: The Regent's Ball
Chapter 13.1
Chapter 13.2
Chapter 14: The Price of Peace
Chapter 14.1
Chapter 14.2
Chapter 14.3
Chapter 15: Into the Arms of the Enemy
Chapter 15.1
Chapter 16: The Battle for Dansestari
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 16.2
Chapter 17: Aftermath
Chapter 17.1
Chapter 17.2
Chapter 18: The Prodigal's Tale
Chapter 18.1
Chapter 18.2
Chapter 18.3
Chapter 18.4
Chapter 19: Give and Take
Chapter 19.1
Chapter 20: The Funeral
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 21: Close Encounters
Chapter 21.1
Chapter 21.2
Chapter 21.3
Chapter 21.4
Chapter 22: Sabrina's Decision
Chapter 22.1
Chapter 23: Point of Origin
Chapter 23.1
Chapter 23.2
Chapter 23.3
Chapter 24: The Fallen
Chapter 24.1
Chapter 24.2
Chapter 24.3
Chapter 25: In the Dark
Chapter 25.1
Chapter 26: The Twisted Way
Chapter 26.1
Chapter 27: The Return
Chapter 27.1
Chapter 27.2
Chapter 27.3

Chapter 3.2

12 5 0
By AnnaIdanBerg

Rayland stepped forward and took Sabrina's arm. "My dear, I advise you to dismiss the assembly and retire to Defense Control."

She nodded and spoke to the anxious crowd. "Thank you all for coming. Please return to your duties."

There was an immediate, mostly orderly, movement toward the exits. Sabrina said, "What's happening?"

Scotty was listening to his comlink. "Shipyard Three is destroyed," he said, gulping.

"Destroyed! Khediva?" Sabrina cried, blanching.

"I don't know. There doesn't seem to be a lot left. C'mon, let's go!" He didn't bother to wait longer, running forward with his long strides toward the doors.

Sabrina, conscious that her new position would prevent her being part of any rescue operation, made an effort to slow her pace to match Rayland's, but it was difficult. She had assumed that Mara and Tirqwin had gone to help Khediva, but what if Khediva had been destroyed and Mara and Tirqwin snatched by the Wayfarers, instead of moved by Mara?

"Do not speculate," Rayland told her softly as they hurried along. "It does no good and may interfere with your understanding of the facts when they are presented to you."

"Sir," someone said nearby, and Sabrina turned to see Miosch at Rayland's other side, "allow me to help you so that the Lady Regent can go ahead of us."

"Thank you," Rayland said. "Sabrina, he is right. You are needed in Control. And," he added, with a grim smile, "I think, just this once, it would not damage the dignity of the crown for you to run."

Sabrina picked up her skirts and sprinted for the exit, the crowd parting for her automatically. As she tore down the corridor, she was aware of someone at her elbow and recognized the guard normally assigned as Mara's bodyguard. Mine now, she thought distractedly, with a flash of irritation and relief. Now if only she could remember the woman's name.

They reached Control just as Sabrina thought her lungs would burst with the exertion. As they entered, they could hear Mukryilla giving orders in a calm but sharp tone; there was no sign of Scotty.

"Shall I get you a report, ma'am?" the bodyguard asked.

"Yes, please, Major, um..."

"Darice." She saluted and hurried off.

Landra Darice. The name came to Sabrina suddenly as she looked around, trying not to look too lost. The bodyguard had been a background fixture of Mara's life, and therefore of Sabrina's, since their return to Praxatillus, even though it was unlikely the Guardian would need such intervention as a soldier could provide. But Sabrina's life might depend on it. She hoped desperately that Mara's bodyguard had not been assigned the post as a decorative ceremonial guard.

"My lady?" said a voice at her elbow.

"Yes?" She looked down to see a young page, wearing the livery of the Council of Trême.

"Lady Imari says that she has received a report from the Conservator of the Chamber. It is their belief that the Guardian moved of her own will and is continuing to do so."

Sabrina thought that if Imari had been there, she would have hugged her. "Thank you," she said quietly, when she had her voice under control. "I was fearing the worst. Thank Lady Imari for informing me, and ask her to notify me if there is any change in the Guardian's status."

"Yes, my lady." The page bowed and hurried out.

Well, I never thought Imari would be so courteous to me, Sabrina thought, then realized that, no matter what her personal feelings, Imari would never be guilty of omitting the least courtesy to her sovereign's representative. I just wish that told me whether Khediva was alive or not. Though if Khediva were dead, Tirqwin would be either half insane or unconscious, so it's not likely Mara would be in good shape.

"Subcommander," Sabrina said, venturing into the command center, "the Conservator of the Chamber thinks that Mara hasn't been captured."

Mukryilla raised an eyebrow, as if surprised that Sabrina had considered the possibility. "Thank you. That is consistent with our preliminary analysis. The debris around the shipyard does not appear to contain elements of a Wayship. Although, since we have never been allowed to analyze her composition, it is difficult to tell. But the volume accounts for the shipyard without enough left over to compose a Wayship."

Sabrina sighed in relief. "What's our status?"

Major Darice came running up, halting a few steps away as she saw Sabrina talking to Mukryilla. Mukryilla said, "We have a dozen unidentified enemy ships in our space, focusing their fire on our orbital installations. I've ordered everything docked in orbit launched. The palace shield is up; it went up the instant that Her Majesty disappeared, triggered via the Great Crystal. We are trying to drive the enemy out of orbit before they begin to attack the surface. Major Darice can give you the details."

"Yes, thank you, please carry on," Sabrina said, realizing that Mukryilla was impatient to get back to the ongoing battle but could not turn away from her without permission. Sabrina nodded to Darice, and they went back to the antechamber. Rayland arrived as they did so, accompanied by Miosch. "We think they all got away," Sabrina told them. "Major Darice was just about to fill me in. Go ahead, Major."

Major Darice cleared her throat, glancing at Rayland for a moment as if fighting the automatic urge to report to him rather than Sabrina. "The enemy ships, which do not fit the description of any Homeworld military vessel or Wayship, emerged from a Way just beyond Darkene. They destroyed the orbital shipyards ten point six seconds after their arrival with long-range particle weaponry, and targeted the orbital platforms immediately thereafter. None of our space-based facilities is currently operational. Casualty estimates are running upwards of three hundred at this time. All planetary defenses are operating normally. However, we are unusually vulnerable because, without the Guardian, backup energy from the Great Crystal is not available to our shield or main ground batteries."

"The defenses depend on the Crystal?" Sabrina exclaimed in astonishment. "You're kidding."

"No, ma'am," Darice said.

"What did you do for all the years Shariara was so sick?"

Rayland said, "Shariara was still able to direct the Crystal's energies along so well-worn a path. And the main defense does not depend on the Crystal; it is only the backup systems that do so. But you will be told all of this when there is more time. My Lady Regent, have I permission to consult with Subcommander Mukryilla?"

"Yes, of course!" Sabrina said.

Rayland went into the command center, and Sabrina noted Mukryilla's relieved and encouraged expression as she turned to her former commander to brief him. Sabrina sat down to wait, with Darice bringing her periodic reports and Miosch standing nearby to offer commentary and explanation when necessary. Sabrina gathered that he had been a fairly high-ranking officer during the Xoentrol War and was grateful for his perspective. Darice also reported that Scotty was currently in orbit with a fighter squadron, defending and analyzing what was left of Orbital Shipyard Three, where Khediva had been docked. Sabrina realized that she and Scotty were now the two people in the solar system with the best chance at positively identifying Khediva's debris.

The attack ended about half an hour later, with seven of the original dozen enemy ships retreating. The others were destroyed either by Praxatillus' forces or by their comrades as they retreated.

"They wanted to leave us no one to question," Miosch remarked darkly as Darice reported this to Sabrina. "I doubt the forces were Homeworld's own, then. They would not be so cavalier about their own citizens. I would guess these were mercenary ships. The survivors would simply think that the fewer to share the payment, the better. They will probably be paid enough to retire on, if Homeworld thinks it has destroyed Wayship Khediva."

"I thought they wanted her back intact," Sabrina said, beginning to shake now that the immediate danger was over. "I thought it was Tirqwin they wanted to kill, but they wanted Khediva back."

"Perhaps they realized they could not achieve that," Miosch said. "Certainly they would think it preferable to destroy Khediva than to let her escape their authority."

"You think they knew that Tirqwin and Mara were leaving?"

"Very likely. It is obvious they have excellent intelligence here on Praxatillus; they knew precisely where our orbital installations were, and at which of them Wayship Khediva was docked."

Rayland joined them. "Yes. The previous attempts to steal Wayship Khediva, and the attempts to kidnap or assassinate the Tirqwin, point to a fairly extensive and well-placed intelligence network here. We must root it out before Her Majesty and the others can return safely." He laid a hand on Sabrina's shoulder. "Your brother is safe, but will remain with the squadron at the shipyard until their analysis is complete."

Sabrina frowned. "Do you think they believe they were successful?"

"Probably. From what we can tell, Khediva's transport out must have coincided with the shipyard's destruction. Her Majesty must have transported herself and the Tirqwin up to Khediva, then moved the Wayship out. There was no time for Khediva to maneuver on her own power, and our records do not show her doing so."

"All right. If they think they destroyed her, let's let them think so. If they've got spies here then we want them to think she's dead too. We'll have to reassure people that Mara's alive, but let's say they destroyed Khediva. Maybe we can get some breathing space for them. Homeworld will quit trying for Tirqwin if he hasn't got Khediva anymore. They know that her death would be the ultimate punishment for him."

Rayland looked thoughtful. "I cannot see anything wrong with that. And it will take us time to rebuild our orbital defenses; we must try to forestall any further attacks. Hopefully now that Her Majesty and the Tirqwin have left, there will be no others. I shall have our analysis of Shipyard Three classified secret." He paused. "That is, if I have the authority to do so. My Lady Regent, I have a request to make. I wish to be taken off medical leave and to resume my duties."

"Are you fit to do so?" she asked, concerned. "I think I'd better speak to the doctors first."

"It is my mind needed here, not my body," Rayland said. "Also remember that if I do not resume my duties, I will likely be pulled into your briefings and meetings as Regent. It is not my intention to rule through you, or for anyone to think that I do. You are the Regent. I am the Commander in Chief. I do not wish it otherwise."

"What you're saying is, you want to do your job, not mine," Sabrina said wryly. "Not that I blame you. Well, considering the circumstances, especially this emergency...but wait. Do I have the authority to take you off leave?"

"Certainly. I am Commander in Chief, but you are the ultimate head of Her Majesty's forces."

I'm Scotty's boss, she thought. "All right. If you can assure me that you honestly feel fit to resume your duties, I'll reinstate you."

"I assure you that I do," Rayland said. "I would not burden my people with an infirm commander."

"Then as of this moment you are on active duty," Sabrina said.

"Thank you, my Lady Regent," Rayland said, saluting her. He then smiled at Miosch. "I can trust you, I need hardly say, Miosch, not to repeat this conversation."

"Certainly," Miosch said. He gave a grim smile. "I am privileged to have witnessed our Lady Regent's first royal decision."

"And may I recommend Miosch to you, my lady, as an excellent adviser? You will doubtless feel the need of some advice as you begin to find your way."

"Yes," Sabrina said. "Doubtless."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

726 266 54
King Baldaran of Praxatillus is dead, and Maratobia, his only surviving child, must become Queen as well as Guardian of the Great Crystal. Her compan...
372 153 40
Magical Realism meets Science Fiction and Historical Fiction... Marvelosa lives on a small, rocky planet with little vegetation, and a sprawling city...
421 117 54
Sabrina Devon has settled back into life on Praxatillus, with her brother Scotty recovered, her cousins embracing her, and Maratobia about to give bi...
160 0 36
Trouble will find you where you least expect it. Both Belle and Ben are caught off-guard with it themselves. When an old nemesis comes back to settl...