Opposites Attract

By willowsalix

What happens when the antisocial Tracy meets a witch he didn't even know he wanted? Sometimes what you want a... More

Opposites Attract
Down On Earth
Footsteps From Above
They Shall Go To The Ball
First Touch
Simply Science
Healing Touch
Witch Flu
Operation Witchonaut
Look To The Stars
Some Days Are Tougher Than Others
Even Heroes Need A Hand
Day Out
What Are You Doing Here?
Stars And Moon Part One
Stars And Moon Part Two
Stars And Moon Part Three
Stars And Moon Part Four
What Happened On New Years Eve
Late One Night
A Night Up West
Driving Miss Selene
Get Your Witch On
Enforced Breaktime
Heartbreak
Venom
Aurora
Pancake Day
Hoodie Wars
Never Say Goodbye
Down On Earth
Here On Earth
The Most Eligible Tracy
Meet The Tempests
Once a Father, Always A Father
Jeff Wants Answers
Making Plans
Jeff Takes Over
Shopping With The Girls
Decisions Made In Haste
Revolution
Home From Home
Home Truths
Theres No Place Like Home
Back In The Saddle
Gordon Stirs The Pot
Hiding In The Shadows
Nothing Is Ever Simple
The Things You Find In A Box
The True Cost
Penis Trees
I Can't Marry You
It's A Nice Day For A Wedding
Party Like You're Pagan
Authors Note

What Happens In London ,Stays In London

111 3 0
By willowsalix

"This is torture, you're torturing me, you realise this, right?"

Penelope lifted a slice of cucumber and cast a side eye in Kayo’s direction. "This isn't about you. You said you wanted nothing to do with organising this event so you must live with the consequences." She dropped the cucumber back into place and relaxed with a contented sigh as the pedicurist started massaging the arch of her right foot.

"Don't even think about touching my feet," Kayo snarled, causing the beautician to drop the bottle of pink nail polish she held and make a rapid retreat.

"Selene, are you enjoying yourself?" Penelope asked, pushing home her point by focusing on the reason they were there.

Selene paused, unsure how to really answer that. She'd loved the back massage, which had left her muscles feeling pleasantly rubbery, but Kayo was right, the rest of the treatments were bordering on sadistic.

Oh, she understood Penny's point, they wouldn't have a lot of time over the next five days in the run up to the wedding, so cutting down on prep time by including manicures, pedicures and facials in the bachelorette party made sense, she just couldn't understand how Penny seemed to be enjoying it so much.

Kayo had refused most treatments and was barely suffering through her facial without throwing hands, but Penelope had taken hers, and by default Selene's, to the extreme. They had been waxed, plucked, buffed and smoothed so much that Selene was surprised they hadn't whipped out an electric sander and been done with it.

"Selene?" Penelope prompted, although her tone had changed a little, holding just the barest hint of worry.

"Sure!" Selene rushed to reassure her. "I'm having a great time, never felt so smooth, it's like they've revealed three new layers of skin I never knew I had, my eyebrows have never been neater and I'm feeling slightly cold from lack of body hair."

"Did you wish for John to marry a yeti?"

"A yeti? Excuse me? How dare! It's not like I was sporting a full winter coat!"

Kayo sniggered, the smile lighting up her face and relaxing her slightly hostile aura enough that her beautician obviously felt it was safe enough to try again. She soon stopped when Kayo gently kicked her hand away, making her point very clear.

"Ladies, we only have ten more minutes before they wash off these face masks and start on our make-up so let's enjoy them, shall we?"

Selene glanced at Kayo, who shrugged in return. It was ten minutes, they could hang it out that long if they had to. They had no other choice.

Selene sat back and tried to relax but the mud on her face was itchy, it smelt vaguely of raw potatoes and she now wasn’t sure if she was hungry or worried as to what they had smeared on her skin. She'd be very glad when they washed it off, smoothed on some much nicer smelling moisturiser and handed them over to the makeup department.

Her nails were painted a nice deep purple that matched her hair, it felt like she wouldn't need to shave for at least a year and, much as she didn’t want to admit it, the potato mud had actually done something nice to her face, making it feel all tight and smooth. The makeup artist had gone a little light on the eyeliner and Selene had had to step in and insist on more, but all in all she was feeling quite relaxed and, yes, she’d admit it, pampered.

They enjoyed a leisurely stroll from the salon to their hotel. It was nice to be moving again, after more than three hours of sitting down and being judged on her cellulite, Selene was happy to be out of there. She often dressed in girly goth and loved her makeup but that was on her own terms and in general she was pretty low maintenance with her beauty regime, so spending that long surrounded by others that wanted their hands on her hadn’t been her idea of a good time.

The city was bustling as always, people rushing here and there, eyes focused either on their phones or staring straight ahead, not making eye contact, but there was a relaxed buzz in the air now that the working week was done. It was Saturday afternoon and those that weren’t shopping were heading for dinner and drinks with friends just as they were.

They were stopped more than a dozen times on the short journey from the salon to the hotel and asked for autographs and selfies with people. Kayo hadn't been impressed, calling it a security risk but, remembering her promise to John, Selene had lifted her head high and plastered a bright smile on her face. Negative press could only affect you if you let it, she realised that now, and was determined to show them how little she cared about their nasty opinions. She'd smile, be nice and fight their negativity with positivity.

Selene was used to being able to walk around her city and blend in with the crowds but obviously that ship had now sailed. It had been hard at first, having lost the anonymity that she had enjoyed for so many years as a nobody, but she knew she had but two choices, hide away, or continue to live her life. So she had started posting on social media again, just as she always had, and although it was hard to ignore all the negative comments she was determined not to let them get her down. If people recognised her she now did as the others did and talked to them, she smiled for their pictures, squished in close for selfies and then went on with her day.

After what the family were referring to as 'her wobble' Scott and John had tasked their lawyers with making it known within the press that they wouldn't hesitate to use every legal avenue at their disposal to take them down should they continue with their unwarranted attacks and so far things had been quiet. Now, all they could hope was that it stayed that way.

The trio stopped at the entrance of the hotel to pose for a group photo and to answer a few questions for a couple of Penelope's fans, before they finally entered the blissful peace and privacy of the lobby where they were met by the concierge who showed them to their private parlour.

The sun room at the hotel was beautiful, the tables laid out as elegantly as could be and each table had its own ornate cake stand which held the most delicate looking little french fancies and miniature versions of English classics Selene had ever seen. A pretty teapot, bone china cup and saucer sets and a platter of crustless sandwiches completed the layout. It was classy, it was relaxed and it was so perfectly Penelope, but it really wasn’t very Selene. She was more a coffee drinking, burger eating, cafe haunting kind of girl but she appreciated the effort nonetheless.

Selene had given Penelope and Kayo strict instructions to not go overboard, to not invite tons of people she didn’t know, preferring to stick to close friends and family. Grandma and her mother had politely declined their invitations, declaring it something for the youngsters to enjoy, just as Jeff had bowed out of whatever it was the boys had planned for John. She had no clue what they were doing as their little gang had left the hotel around the same time as they had headed to the salon. They had decided to travel together and secured a number of rooms in the same hotel for the family and their guests, it had just made the entire thing so much easier to organise when it came to cover from the GDF and local authorities and travel arrangements.

Selene made the obligatory round of the tables, greeting people and thanking them for coming, having a brief catch up before moving on after promising they would hang out more later. She had provided a list of people that she wouldn’t mind being included in Penelope and Kayo’s plans for the night but it seemed that some had slipped in that she hadn't been aware of. In between the few witchy friends that were there, including Tanzi, their officiant for the handfasting portion of the wedding, some of her more bearable cousins and two old school friends whose bachelorette parties she had gone to so felt she had to return the favour, there were a few vaguely familiar faces that turned out to be friends of friends and one that appeared to be friend of the groom.

“Did you invite her?” Kayo side whispered to Penelope and Selene. Both ladies shook their heads.

“Must have been John,” Selene whispered back. Her friends made sympathetic faces although if they were for herself or John she wasn’t sure. “Welp, guess I had better go and say hello.”

“Need backup?” Kayo offered.

“Nope, I’m good, I’ll behave, I can be nice, she’s coming to the wedding so her being here isn’t an issue. Just give it five minutes and then create a distraction.”

“Not a problem,” Penelope agreed. “Godspeed.”

“Thanks,” Selene muttered as she made her way over to where Ridley sat at a table with a couple of Selene’s friends.

“Ridley! Nice to finally meet you in the flesh,” Selene bent down to give her a hug that seemed to startle the other woman, who didn’t so much hug back as sit there stiffly and pray for it to be over. Well, Selene thought, as they say, that's a you problem. If she was going to hang out with Selene and her friends she’d have to get used to spontaneous displays of affection, witches were a touchy feely lot in general and often grabbed without thinking, although she’d warned them all to leave John alone when they met him.

“Nice to meet you too, thanks for including me. It’s a long time since I’ve been to London so it’s great to be back.”

“That’s awesome, we should hang out some time and take in the sights. It'll make a change for me to play tourist, it's always fun to visit places that I never normally have time for."

"Really? Well, yeah, I guess that sounds good."

"Well, I just wanted to come over and say hello and thank you for coming, I hope you enjoy yourself but you’ll have to excuse me for now. Penny has just ordered the first round of champagne and I’m needed at our table but I’ll catch up with you later and we’ll have a nice chat, OK?”

“Oh, OK, sure, I guess I’ll see you later then,” Ridley reached for her tea cup again and took a sip, watching as the other woman left as quickly as she had appeared.

Selene felt a little bad to have dipped out of the conversation so quickly, but honestly she was still quite pissed off after hearing the details of Ridley's rescues and had been as polite as she could be. She'd be having words with her darling Spaceman when all this was over, she didn't appreciate the lack of warning that she'd be having an extra guest.

She slid into the chair that had been left for her and gingerly picked up the cup Penelope indicated. She took a tiny, experimental sip, just managing to hold in the face she badly wanted to make. It was one of those fragrant teas that tasted like you’d just drunk perfume. She didn't like tea at the best of times and this certainly wasn't one of them. In short, it was disgusting.

“Isn’t it delicious?” Penny enthused, sipping delicately, her raised pinky perfectly straight. “It’s one of my favourites, Lady Lavender, it’s a classic Earl Grey blended with parma violet lavender. It’s perfect for such an event, don't you think?”

“Mmm,” Selene nodded, smiling as best she could while forcing herself to swallow the mouthful. She politely set the cup aside and reached for a tiny triangular cream cheese and cucumber sandwich to take the taste away.

“Oh, wonderful, the champagne is here,” Penelope sighed happily as three suited waiters proceeded to pop the corks of numerous bottles in quick succession. They poured the sparkling liquid into golden fluted glasses and placed them carefully in front of each lady.

“Let us toast,” Penelope instructed once everyone had a glass, raising effortlessly from her seat, a graceful unfolding of her legs, timed perfectly with a waiter pulling her chair back for her that told of how often she frequented the venue. “To a beautiful bachelorette, what promises to be a glorious wedding and most undoubtedly a lifetime of love.”

Glasses were raised and champagne was downed. Selene lifted her glass, it wouldn't do to not toast her own health and took a large mouthful...and choked. A quickly grabbed napkin prevented her from spraying her maid of honour and chief bridesmaid but couldn’t hide the disgust on her face.

“Gods, that's foul!”

“Oh dear, how distressing,” Penelope sighed. “And 1998 was such a good year for champagne, too. Still, sometimes one must accept that not everything is to everyone's tastes.”

***

“Come on, lighten up, it’s not that bad here,” Virgil grinned, sipping on his pint and sighing contentedly, totally at ease in his surroundings. He had simple needs and was set for the night with a cold beer, something called pork scratchings and a comfortable seat to sink into.

John respectfully disagreed as he looked around the stuffy gentlemen’s club that he’d been dragged to. Their father had been a member of the exclusive International Associates since his time in the Airforce and had made a point of signing his sons up for inclusion on his membership when they each turned twenty-one and while Alan wasn’t there yet he’d been allowed in with them and the rest of their guests on the proviso that they stayed in the private function room they had been escorted to.

He was already feeling uncomfortable and they had only been there an hour. He felt restricted in the shirt and tie they had insisted was mandatory and tugged at the knot at his throat in order to get a little air. He glanced back at his brother, wondering just where he had managed to dredge up a plaid tie, but he’d learnt that sometimes he didn’t actually want to know the answer to the many mysteries of his brothers.

“I can’t lighten up, this place is horrible, it smells like old cigars and feet and don’t get me started on those animal heads on the walls, I don’t care if they are antiques and therefore allowed, their eyes keep following me and I don’t like it.”

“We thought you’d appreciate something quieter and less crowded,” Virgil explained patiently for the fourth time. “It’ll give you a chance to catch up with some of your friends and relax a bit.”

“Yes, because this is so relaxing for me.”

“Just give it a bit longer.”

“Do I really have to?”

“Yeah, you do, it won’t be th-”

“Hey, Space Cadet!”

Virgil looked up at the large, booming voiced man that had appeared behind his brother, pint in his hand and who was looking pointedly at Virgil’s chair. He took the hint.

“Here, take my seat for a bit, I’m gonna go talk with Scott.”

“Thanks, man,” the large man dropped down into Virgil’s vacated seat.

“Hi, Gary, how are you doing?” And why are you here, he asked silently, because I know I didn’t invite you. John risked a glance over to the bar where, just as he had suspected, James stood with Carl, the only one John had actually invited. He should have known better, those three had been inseparable at university and it appeared that nothing had changed since then.

“I’m doing good, real good. I've been doing all sorts, travelling the world, seeing people and places, one job after another.”

John listened as Gary continued for some time, bragging about the wild things he'd done while inebriated, the laws he'd broken and the people he'd met, slept with and dumped the next day when he moved on, seeming to be living the party lifestyle to the extreme. He talked about the exaggerations he'd told in order to find work, impress new friends and potential bed partners and with each word he said John was reminded of just why they had never gotten along in college. Gary had been a nasty, unpleasant man who cared more about his own welfare and happiness than anyone else's and it looked like nothing had changed.

“I’m glad to hear it,” John responded when Gary finally wound down, having exhausted his tales of hedonism and allowed him a word in edgeways.

“Seems you are too.”

“I am,” John replied carefully, not liking the tone Gary had used.

“That’s why I had to come. Man, when Carl got that invitation you could have shit on my nipples and called me Margaret.”

John blinked. That was descriptive. What was he supposed to even say to that? Was it really so shocking that he had found someone he wanted to spend the rest of his life with?

"Gotta say, I never thought I'd see the day that John Tracy found someone stupid enough to take him on," he continued with a laugh, gulping back half his beer. "She's not bad looking either, you must have had to put in some serious work to bag her, that or you lied."

Apparently it was that shocking and unbelievable to Gary and it made John wonder how many other people had thought the same. He shifted uncomfortably not knowing what to say or how to answer. Obviously he'd thought it himself, he’d been plagued with thoughts of not being good enough, having come with too much baggage and family commitments. But, to have someone who had once been a friend saying it, well, that was just a kick in the teeth. He glanced down at the drink in his hand, one finger running lightly around the rim, distracting himself as he tried to gather his thoughts.

"Actually, she made the first move," he finally answered, needing to defend himself. Where did this judging asshole get off, acting like he'd been some kind of woman repelling leper who no one would be seen dead with?

"Woah, really? I guess your money helped, I mean, you aren't the easiest person to deal with, are you? So there had to be something in it for her," Gary plowed on, regardless of John’s feelings.

"She seems to like me just fine," John ground out through gritted teeth.

"Nah, I remember in college, we'd have to drag you out of the dorm just to get you to interact with the outside world, let alone talk to anyone. How'd she fix you?"

It was that last line that did it, that gave him the kick he needed, as well as the confidence, to lift his head, look his 'friend' dead in the eyes and let the truth fly. He was done listening to his crap, he'd done it for two years in college and he'd be damned if he'd sit here, at his bachelor party that he didn't even want, and continue to be insulted.

"She didn't do anything but love me for who I am. I didn't need fixing, I wasn't broken, I was just different to you, I just didn't fit in with your version of what was normal or expected. A relationship isn't a band aid for your mental issues, it shouldn't be down to your partner to be responsible for your wellbeing."

"Yeah, but you had to have changed for her, I mean, look at you, standing here in a bar, having a bachelor party like a normal person."

Beyond pissed off now, John slammed his drink down on the table that separated them, practically snarling at his old friend.

"She didn't do anything but accept me for who I was. If I've changed at all it's because I felt comfortable enough to do so, to relax and be myself. It was something I could never do with people like you in my life judging me, pushing me to be someone I wasn't and act in ways I didn't like just because I made you feel uncomfortable. That wasn't my fault, that was on you. I didn't act how you did and therefore you deemed me wrong or broken when really and truly, the only broken one here is you."

"Hey! Now wait just a sec-" Gary started but John cut him off, not wanting to listen to another second of his nasty, toxic opinion. If he could be rude, so could John. If Gary could continue to spout his crap under the guise of honesty among friends, twisting the truth to make himself out to be better than he was, then John could do the same.

"No, you wait. You have the audacity to invite yourself along to my bachelor party and then feel you have the right to judge my relationship when you have never kept a partner for longer than three months without chasing them off. The number of places you have docked your rocket does not equal successful relationship experience. And I thank you not to bring your negative views into my life again if you know what's good for you."

"Did you just threaten me?" Gary's eyes narrowed dangerously, his hand flexing around the pint glass he held, daring him to continue and ordinarily that would have been enough to make John back down, not wanting to deal with a confrontation. But John had changed in more ways than one since college and he wouldn't allow anyone to intimidate him any more, especially not a neanderthal like the one in front of him, all brawn and no brains.

"Yeah, I think I did, and do you know what? It felt good to do so. You don't get to judge me anymore, you don't get to make me feel bad about myself. She didn't need to fix me, I changed for myself because I was wanted by someone who actually took the time to get to know me and understand me more than you, as my friend, ever did. I think it's time you left now."

Gary's nostrils flared and he let out a snort of disgust not unlike that of a bull, but a quick glance around the room had him reassessing. In college John had been alone, younger than him and lacking in any kind of confidence that wasn't showing off his book smarts, he'd been an easy target to pick on and belittle to make others laugh. Now John was different, he wasn't alone and he wasn't the unsure little freshman. Anyone would be crazy to pick a fight with one member of International Rescue, let alone the entire family, all of whom were now staring daggers at Gary, having heard John's raised voice.

Defiantly Gary knocked back the rest of his drink, and placed the glass on the table top, preparing to leave, though not without tossing out his parting shot. "Good luck, Tracy. You're going to need it, because someone like you won't keep someone like that for long, just make sure you don't give her a credit card, yeah?" he laughed nastily before turning and presenting John with his broad back to watch him walk away.

John huffed out a relieved breath, wondering where that sudden spark of bravery in the face of a friend had come from. It was the first time he'd spoken up like that or stood up for himself to anyone who knew him before International Rescue, but he was glad he had. He'd only spoken the truth as he saw it.

With every other relationship or friendship he'd had they had tried to change him, tried to push him into their way of thinking or acting, all for 'his own good' not accepting that he was already good as he was. They had used him for their own ends, either hanging around in the hopes that he’d pick up the tab, help them with their coursework or just be there to make them look good in comparison. Everyone had always seemed to want something from him, everyone but her.

He and Selene worked because neither saw the other's personality, likes, dislikes or experiences as issues that needed to be fixed, they saw everything as something that they accepted and loved regardless. He'd found that it was only when he had felt truly comfortable and loved for who he was that he'd been able to make positive changes for himself. That was the key really, he had changed for him, not for her, changed to make himself feel better and more comfortable in his own skin and that was all that had mattered.

She hadn't seen him as a pet project, or something to mold and forcefully squash into her own version of perfection, she'd thought he was perfect as he was. She hadn't liked the idea of having a Tracy, of bagging the one they never saw, she had never seen him as something to conquer and own. She had just wanted him, not the concept of him. It had taken him a long time to truly believe her, to accept her unconditional, non judgemental love and to trust in her but now he wouldn't trade what they had for anything.

Gary would never know that joy, that comfort you could have from feeling truly wanted just as you were, because he couldn't give that himself, he couldn't see that a partner wasn't there to do your bidding.

"Hey, John, are you okay?" Gordon asked, appearing as if by magic at his side. "I saw that big douche storm out of here, he didn't say anything to you, did he?" the look on Gordon's face said he knew exactly what had gone down and that he'd be down to pound ten tons of shit out of Gary if John would just say the word.

"Nope," John answered, a small smile catching the corners of his mouth. "He just had to go."

No one needed to know all of what had been said, it didn't matter, John knew the truth and those who knew him and Selene knew it too, it was clear for anyone to see. And that was all that mattered to him.

“He had some bad vibes, man,” Adam commented, wandering over. “Kinda like those heads on the wall, they’ve seen some things, things I don’t want to contemplate.”

“You are so Selene’s brother,” Gordon laughed.

“Well, yeah, same womb evacuees, dude.”

“I don’t even know what to say to that.”

***

“Thank you,” Selene side whispered to Kayo as they entered the packed out bar. “It wasn’t that I didn’t like or appreciate that delicious tea but…”

“But it wasn’t really your thing,” Kayo finished for her. “I get it, that’s why I suggested moving on to cocktails once the evening crowd came in. We only had the dining room hired for three hours and those guys, well, they were a little stiff looking.”

“They all looked like they had sticks up their arses, there was so much bling I was almost blinded every time they caught the light and the sound of their nasally voices were hurting my ears.”

“That too.”

“I don’t know how Penelope can stand to spend so much time with them, it’s a mystery how she’s managed to come out of it as sane as she has. She’s like a special kind of tough that neither of us will ever manage to achieve,” Selene sighed.

"Agreed."

“Girls,” Penelope called, breaking into their talk. “Look who’s here,” Penelope stepped aside to reveal the graceful, auburn haired beauty that stood behind her.

As always, Selene had to pause for just a second to take in the woman's aura, which she found slightly intimidating. There was something ethereal about her, from the way she seemed to glide rather than walk, the perfectly straight way she carried herself, her bright blue eyes that seemed a little too big for her face and the air of complete confidence she wore like a cloak of protection around her shoulders. The first time Selene had met her she had seemed so delicate, with her slender form and seemingly quiet nature, her head tipped to the side like a bird as she assessed the occupants of the room with a quick glance, but then she had opened her mouth and Selene had known they would be great friends.

“Tippy Toes! You made it! I thought you had a performance tonight?” Selene accepted the hug the smaller woman offered along with the kiss on the cheek.

“I did, I came straight here, hence the hair,” she pointed to her high bun that seemed to defy gravity. “There was no way I’d miss this.”

“Then I guess the gang’s all here and we should get started on those drinks. Bring on the cocktails!” Selene cheered. “Lead the way!”

Their personal mixologist was already waiting for them, a large array of colourful bottles spread out on the bar in front of him. Tanzi greeted him with a hug, as did Selene.

“Ladies,” he clapped, commanding their attention while grinning one of his knicker melting smiles. “Let me welcome you all to tastebud heaven, where I shall be mixing up a personal drink for each and every one of you. First on the agenda, our girl that is breaking hearts all across London with the news that she is soon to be off the market.”

Selene pretended to preen, fluffing her hair.

“I have just the thing for you,” he promised.

Selene was down to try the drink that Avery mixed up in front of her as he added vodka, cherry liquor and a lime juice but it was when he cracked open an egg, separated the yolk from the white and dumped the clear, slimy substance into the shaker that she began to doubt the man. He finished off with a dash or two of something orangey and began to shake the thing like it was an olympic sport. He held a glass in one hand that he poured a steady stream of liquid into and passed it over with much ceremony.

“I present to you, the Blushing Bride.”

Selene took a dubious sip of the drink, trying to forget the fact that egg, which in her opinion should never be involved in the making of drinks in any way, shape or form, was swirling around in her glass. It was a valiant effort on her part, but it was still disgusting.

“Eww, nope! Sorry, Ave, I love you, but no.” She put the drink down on the counter top. “I thought you knew me better than that.”

Avery tossed his hair over his shoulder with a flamboyant huff but the effect was ruined by his grin. “Don’t worry, I’ve got ya covered.”

Grabbing a new shaker he tossed in a few ice cubes, added a very healthy dribble of apple brandy, a glug of apple juice and a splash of grenadine before giving it a vigorous shaking. He drizzled some blackberry shimmer around the inside of a glass and poured out the mixture, which swirled like a mystical galaxy as soon as it mixed with the shimmer.

“Here, try this.”

This one Selene was more enthusiastic to try, it looked delicious and didn’t contain anything that her Grandmother would have called salmonella lying in wait.

“Oh, now that is amazing. What is it?”

“A Witches Heart.”

“Perfect,” she grinned, taking a bigger sip, this drink went down dangerously easy.

Soon everyone had a drink in front of them. Some met with mixed reviews, Penelope had loved her Pink Lady and was happily drinking it, as had Kayo with her Black Shadow but Cat hadn’t been a fan of her Ballet Dancer and was now trying a Lucid Lift which contained absinthe, syrup, club soda, kiwi and cucumber.

Tanzi had her usual Black Cat and three other girls were sharing a cauldron cocktail between them, supping on straws. The others were either waiting impatiently for Avery to work his magic or already drinking.

Selene’s went down far too quickly, there appeared to be a hole in her glass because she didn't remember drinking it but as soon as she put the empty down another took its place, her cocktail shaker beside it.

“OK , number two, let's do this.”

“Is everyone happy with their drinks?” Avery asked as he delivered the last to one of Selene’s cousins.

“Mines perfect,” Penelope smiled. “I’ve always had a taste for gin.”

“Bourbon is my drink of choice anyway, and while this is a little sweet, it’s an interesting change,” Kayo sipped again. “I like the blackberry, it gives it a little tart kick.”

“Actually, mine's a little bitter for my tastes.”

Avery blinked, he wasn't used to hearing that and reached for another bottle, pulling her glass closer.

“Oh, sorry, love, I try to match the drinks with the person but it’s not an exact science.” Avery tipped a little syrup and grenadine into Ridley’s drink. “See if this will sweeten it up for ya.”

“Hey, Ave?” Tanzi called over. “Is Cass allowing karaoke tonight?”

“For you guys, anything.”

“Sweet. Then let’s get this party started.”

***

“So, have you decided who gets the dubious honour of being your best man?” Virgil asked, reaching for another handful of peanuts.

“Sorry, I’m taken, you should have gotten in quicker,” Scott grinned, swirling the whiskey so the ice clinked against the glass.

“I’m available since my darling sister neglected to choose me,” Adam commented, not seeming bothered in the slightest by the apparent rejection. “Not that I believe in such roles or even the outdated concept of marriage itself.”

“You are so like Selene it’s scary,” Alan laughed.

Adam shrugged, puffing medatievely on his vape pen, letting out a plume of fruity fragranced smoke that was a stark contrast to the old cigar and leather smell that seemed to have become ingrained in the walls of the room.

"Come on, John, you have to have picked someone by now," Gordon prodded. "The wedding is less than a week away."

"Who's it gonna be? It's not Dad because he's doing all the legal side," Virgil mused. "And it's not Scott because Selene got him first."

"Fighting over me is tolerated and encouraged," Scott preened.

John fiddle with the label of his beer bottle. "Actually, I gave it a lot of thought and I have picked someone."

"Really? Who?" Gordon asked, drawing the attention of the other men in the room, consisting of Brains, Conrad, Brandon, a smattering of university friends, a few fellow astronauts, two astronomy professors he frequently conversed with, a couple of their cousins and an old neighbour. John wasn't much for collecting people, finding it hard to keep up with their lives, so he'd been more than happy with such a small gathering, especially now that Carl, James and Gary had been evicted.

"Alan," he answered with complete surety.

"Me?" the youngest Tracy spluttered, his face lighting up. "Seriously? You picked me?"

"Sure, why wouldn't I pick you?"

Virgil, Gordon and Scott shared a small smile over the top of their baby brother’s head. They hadn't known that was who John was going to say but they were more than happy with it. There hadn't been any real issues on any of their parts, they had known that he couldn't pick all of them and honestly they had been as much a part of proceedings as each other so they had nothing more to add to the situation.

"Seriously?"

"Yes, I picked you, don't make me regret it because you've forgotten how to form a coherent thought."

"I won't! You won't regret this, I swear! I'll be the best best man there ever was," he paused, gulping down a little of his beer, quelling his excitement as a thought occurred to him. "Erm…what will my job be exactly?"

"Not much, truth be told," Virgil laughed. "Not now that everything has been organised, anyway. The job of the best man is like the bridesmaid for the bride, you make sure the groom is doing OK and help him with anything he might need, do everything you can to make the run up to the day and the day itself, go smoothly. Oh, and you keep hold of the rings. Usually you'd organise this party but we got you covered."

"Wasn't that much to do, really," Gordon mused. "This place said they were used to catering for bachelor parties, or stag do's as they called them here."

"I guess that might explain all the heads on the walls," Scott shuddered, risking a glance into the glassy eyes of one particularly moth-eaten specimen.

"Other than booking the hotel with Penny and organising flights for guests we didn't have to plan anything, the club organised the entire thing, all we had to do was pay them."

"Wait, hang on a second," John cut in as he was hit by a very scary thought. "You did check everything first, didn't you? You knew exactly what they were planning, you didn't just leave them to it?"

"Why would we need to do that? They said they had a groom-to-be package and we asked them to give you the best of everything and they said all we needed to do was get you here, they would take care of the rest."

"That really doesn't instil me with confidence."

"Just drink your drink, order another, top it up with a scotch and relax, it's your night, enjoy it," Scott soothed, lifting his hand to the waitress for another drink. The young woman practically ran over to their little huddle of chairs, eager to provide for their every need. Scott smiled, more than used to that kind of attention and took the small tablet from her apron pocket to leave her a nice tip, handing it back as she headed to the bar.

John rolled his eyes at his brother's flirtatious behaviour, although none of them were surprised, they all dealt with the public in different ways. John avoided them like the plague, Virgil was the all round nice guy, Gordon the joker of the pack who would make them laugh, Alan was too adorable to hound and Scott flirted with everyone, which he'd found often distracted them enough to let him slip away. It was unconventional but it worked for them, although at this moment in time John wished he was anywhere but there.

He hadn't wanted a bachelor night, honestly he found the whole concept quite alien, it made little sense to him to be celebrating a last night of freedom as a single man when in his mind he hadn't been single since he'd met Selene. She'd wormed her way into his heart almost instantly and he'd known that no one else would ever compare. He'd asked her to marry him, he wanted that commitment, so why should he be acting like it was a bad thing? He understood the history of the event, dating back from times when arranged marriages on political grounds were common but these were modern times and he felt it was an outdated tradition, yet he'd had no way of avoiding it.

"Woooo!"

"Yeah, boy!"

"Now that's what I'm talking about!"

John's head snapped up as a round of excited cheering broke out, only just heard over the pounding music that now flooded from the speaker system hidden discreetly in the wood paneled walls, making them all jump.

"Oh, oh God, no. Tell me she's not real."

All four of his brothers glanced over, their eyes growing wide as they realised what they were seeing.

"This isn't happening," John groaned, as the female strutted towards their group, her heels keeping perfect time with the music and the panicked beating of his heart. He squeezed his eyes shut, praying for death, wishing with all his might that the chair he was sitting in would suddenly develop a black hole or a portal to another dimension.

"John?" Virgil's concerned voice forced him to open his eyes.

"Who did this?" John snarled, unable to look away from the woman that was stalking them like a being from a horror movie, her features obscured by the overly large helmet on her head.

Four sets of hands lifted in identical gestures of innocence.

"It must have been part of their bachelor package," Scott groaned. "I'm so sorry, we didn't know. They asked what you did for a living but we thought it was something to do with club policy."

The woman began what he was sure she thought of as a sensual dance but it reminded him more of a dog with fleas trying to scratch an unreachable itchy spot, the helmet slopping around on her head like a child playing dress up.

Her fingers worked the buttons of her knock off NASA jumpsuit that would never have passed safety regulations, the gap at her chest widening to reveal black lacy undergarments that looked quite uncomfortable, especially the way it seemed to be squeezing her oversized breasts.

"Woooo, get it off! Get it off!" one of the astronauts chanted encouragingly. Honestly, this was the reason that astronauts had such a reputation for being sex starved horn dogs worse than a sailor on shore leave.

She launched into what looked like a full body shudder, her limbs seeming to vibrate as the material slid down her body, allowing her to shimmy out of it and kick it aside, all while staying upright on her impossibly high heels. She had a good sense of balance, he'd give her that.

John glanced to the side, noticing that Alan looked just as disturbed as he was, his eyes were as wide as a deer in headlights and he was staring at the stripper like she was the scariest thing he'd ever encountered. Really, John couldn't blame him, if they thought Selene at that time of the month was scary, his girl had nothing on this beast.

The woman yanked off her helmet, dropped it to the floor with a clunk that made all of them wince, and tossed back her hair, a fuzzy mass of loose curls that looked like dyed blonde candy floss and it floated around her face like a cloud. She had that overly tanned skin that had developed a leathery look and was pulled tight across her skull, giving her a slightly surprised expression and her lips resembled that of a trout.

The music lowered from deafening but was still an uncomfortable level of sound and that was when she opened her mouth.

"So," she drawled in a broad northern English accent, "I've come from a far off planet where there are no men to sate my needs. I heard there were a man about to tie ‘imself down what needs a little attention." Her eyes scanned the assembled crowd, hunting for her victim.

Virgil and Scott seemed unable to look at her directly but Gordon was openly staring in the same way one would be unable to look away from a horrific accident, you didn't want to look, you just couldn't help yourself.

Conrad had flattened himself against the bar, perched on his stool, sheltering behind Brandon as best he could, trying to avoid drawing her attention in any way, shape or form. Brandon for his part seemed unconcerned, watching with disinterest verging on boredom. Brains was with them and seemed to be treating the entire bizarre performance as an educational experience, peering over his glasses at her as if he was watching a nature documentary. The courtship rituals of the great North stripper.

"Where's the lucky fella then, lads?" she demanded to know.

John's soon to be ex friends pointed in his direction, ratting him out and she honed in like a heat seeking missile.

"Hands to yerself unless there's money in ‘em," she warned as she pranced her way closer, her hands latching on to his shoulders, talon like nails digging into the material of his shirt and bruising flesh.

He stiffened, caught once again in that moment where his brain short circuited through sheer, unadulterated discomfort and fear. He wanted to push her away, wanted to stop her as she swung one skinny leg over both of his and deposited herself in his lap, but his limbs refused to cooperate.

"Miss, I think that’s enough,” Virgil started, automatically reaching out to her but stopping himself just in time, not knowing where it was actually safe to touch her.

The music shifted from a banging beat to a slightly more sedate number as she launched into weird, writhing, shaking, grinding body spasms that were centered on his groin. Her red painted claws scratched their way from his shoulders down his chest and he just about held in his knee jerk reaction to scream.

Her hands left his chest to cup her own, smushing together the large grapefruits that were her breasts, lifting them up for his inspection. He kept his eyes fixed on the ceiling and refused to look down ever again.

She let out an impatient snort, obviously not getting the reaction she wanted.

“Tough customer, eh?” One hand slid behind her back, reaching for the clasp on her bra.

“No!” Gordon yelled.

“Don’t even think about it!” Scott ordered.

The astronauts and college friends groaned in disappointment as John’s fight or flight mode finally kicked in and, unable to stand it for even a second longer he stood up, dumping her off his lap onto the floor, accompanied by her squawk of shock.

“Wot the fuck do yer think yer playin’ at?” she yelled, scrambling to her feet, glaring at them all.

“Miss, we’re very sorry but you need to leave,” Scott insisted to a chorus of protesting boos.

Hands went to her hips, her chin lifting stubbornly. “I ain’t done yet.” Cheers accompanied her announcement.

“Yes, you are,” Virgil joined in, stepping forward to block John from her line of sight, as if worried she might suddenly launch herself at him like a spider monkey just to finish her dance.

“I ain’t, I don’t get paid until me tits come out an’ I finish me dance.”

“Finish it! Finish it!”

“Shut up!” Gordon yelled at the obviously drunk astronauts.

“You will get paid, I promise, we’ll double whatever you’re getting, just please, go,” Scott begged.

Her eyes narrowed in the most calculating way they had ever seen. “Triple it.”

“Sure, fine, whatever it takes,” Virgil agreed as Alan gathered up her clothes and, trying to be helpful, attempted to stuff them into her arms.

“Alright,” the stripper scrabbled in the pocket of the jumpsuit Alan had thrust upon her and pulled out her phone. She tapped in an amount that made Scott’s eyes water and held it out to him. He dutifully placed his thumb on the screen, completing the transaction. She checked the screen then grinned. “Nice doin’ business with yer, mate.” She wiggled into her jumpsuit, holding on to Alan’s shoulder for balance, much to his horror, picked up her helmet and finally, blessedly, she left.

“You’re safe now, John,” Virgil called, sighing in relief as the door swung shut behind her.

“John!” Scott tried too.

A quick glance around the small lounge bar showed there was no ginger spaceman hiding in a corner.

"Maybe he needed to piss," one of the astronauts suggested.

“John?” Gordon called, sticking his head into the bathroom to check. No answer.

“Where is he?” a thoroughly confused and slightly drunk Scott asked.

***

“Has anyone seen Selene?” Kayo asked, releasing that she hadn’t seen the bride-to-be in quite some time.

“Her drink is gone,” Cat pointed out.

“She excused herself to go to the bathroom,” Penelope informed them, carefully selecting a peanut from the dish on the bar that had been provided for them.

“Oh dear, that’s where she’ll be then,” Alegra, one of her witch friends, laughed.

“Why ‘oh dear’?” Kayo demanded to know. Even a few drinks down she was ever on alert, taking her role of security seriously.

“She’s had what, three drinks, maybe four?” Alegra asked.

“Four,” Penelope answered.

“Yep, she’ll be there then,” Alegra confirmed. “She’ll be doing her drunk oracle thing again.”

“Her what now?”

“Drunk oracle,” Alegra repeated, although she could tell by their blank faces that they didn't have a clue what she was talking about. “You’ve known her a while now, yeah?”

The girls nodded.

“So you’ll know what I mean when I say that people are just drawn to her. It’s not something you can explain, she just makes you want to talk to her, to listen to what she has to say and when she speaks you know she’s telling you the complete truth. You trust her, you can’t help it. And when she’s drunk she’s even nicer, even more approachable.”

Again with the nods, they had all been on the receiving end of one of Selene's assessing looks and probing questions.

“I can guarantee you’ll find her in the bathroom, surrounded by people all wanting advice and their fortunes told. And she’ll do it, because that’s who she is, she just wants to help people, to make them feel better.”

“Are you being serious right now?” Kayo asked.

Alegra nodded. “Go and look if you don’t believe me.”

Kayo exchanged a look with Penelope, who shrugged and headed towards the bathroom with a determined step, Kayo following along behind.

They pushed open the door to find the room crowded with women and yep, there was Selene, sitting on one of the sinks, drink in hand, chatting enthusiastically.

“No, no listen, I’m telling you that you are beautiful. Don’t you dare let anyone tell you otherwise, look at your curves, no one likes a boring straight road to drive down, they want bumps and bends. Work it girl, let me see you twirl.”

Selene clapped out a beat as the short woman in front of her turned slowly on the spot. “Now do it with a little more confidence, show me that fire, show me the foxy lady inside.”

The woman did as she was told, but a little faster this time and on the second spin, to much cheering from Selene and the other women surrounding them, she lifted her arms and gave an enthusiastic little shimmy.

“Perfect, Cheryl, absolutely stunning. Amazing, now get back out there, get yourself another drink, take those selfies and show that bitch what you’re made of. Remember that no one can make you feel bad unless you give them permission to. Don’t let them.”

“Thanks, I think I will.”

“Tag me so I can see them,” Selene called after her as she left the huddle and another woman stepped up to receive her blessing. Selene sipped her drink and focussed on the new woman. “Oh, oh hunny, who hurt you?”

Instantly there were tears.

“No, no no, no tears, that's not allowed. I know he cheated on you, but that’s because he’s a dickhead. Dump his arse, girl, dump him quick.”

“Should we intervene?” Penelope whispered to Kayo.

“Only if someone swings at her.”

“Really, I mean it,” Selene continued. “He’s a bad one, you need to get yourself a good man, get you a man like mine.”

“I thought he was a good man,” the woman sniffed, accepting the tissue that was passed through to her from somewhere near the back of the huddle. “Everytime we met up he always said how beautiful I was and was so nice. I thought he loved me and I know I love him.”

Selene snorted. “Anyone can say that when you get all dolled up and make an effort. No, let me tell you a little story,” two girls pressed closer and Selene shifted to make room. “Arghh, shit!”

Selene leapt up as her arm brushed the motion sensor on the sink she was sitting on, her arse getting an unexpected shower as the water gushed out of the faucet into the bowl, splashing back to soak her left buttcheek. She glanced down at her pants and everyone held their breath. Would she be angry, would she leave? They all sighed and relaxed again when she simply shrugged and jumped back up onto her perch.

“What was I saying?”

“You were going to tell us a story,” someone piped up, reminding her.

“She’s fine,” Penelope whispered to Kayo, who nodded. “Let’s leave her to it, it’s her night, if she wants to spend it in a bathroom giving out advice then that's her call to make.”

“Agreed.” Kayo ducked out, letting the door swing shut behind her. Witch was crazy, but they were used to it by now.

“Right! OK, so, you gotta look for the signs, you know?” Selene started, getting back on track. “Like the things that prove to you that the one you love loves you for being you, not what you think they want you to be. So, it was that time of the month, right? You know how it is, you’re grumpy, your womb feels like it’s trying to weld itself to your spine, you’re spotty, bloated and you don't know if you want to scream or cry?”

Heads all around bobbed in agreement.They had all been there.

“So, picture the scene, I’m curled up on my bed, heat pad on my back, hugging my pillow, wearing a green tea face mask and I’m watching the world’s saddest movie, Ghost. I was half way through and John walked in. He took one look at me and walked right back out again.”

“Bastard!” someone yelled.

“No, no he’s not. Because he was back ten minutes later. He didn't say a word, he just got up on the bed with me, gave me a big bar of chocolate, kissed me even though I looked awful and sat back to watch the movie with me. He didn’t make fun of it even though I know he hates it, he didn’t interrupt or try to tell me about his day, he just let me be, but he was there with me. He didn't even complain when he cuddled up to him and got my face mask on his shirt. That’s when I knew that when he said he loved me, it wasn’t empty words, if he tells me I’m beautiful, I know he means it. Get you a man like that and you can’t go wrong.”

“Where can I get me one of those?” someone called out. "He's got brothers, right?"

“Yeah, how did you meet? It’s not been reported online,” another chimed in.

“It’s a funny story,” she grinned. “Which I’m never going to tell because I come off really bad in it.” A chorus of groans rang out. “But it involved him having to rescue me from a dramatic life or death situation.”

“He told me he had to get you out of a tree,” Ridley laughed, having come in to use the toilet but instead found what looked like half the club's occupants camped out around the sinks. "He said you were drunk."

“Yes, but we don’t talk about that,” Selene mock scolded.

“It’s his thing though, isn’t it? Plucking women out of danger.”

“It’s his job, it is what it is. And I’m sure you remember what it’s like to be in what seems like a hopeless situation and be grateful for the help,” Selene retorted, sipping her drink in an effort to stay calm and continue being her pleasant self.

“Yes, but mine wasn’t my doing.”

Calm be fucked.

Taking a deep breath Selene knocked back the remainder of her drink and set the glass aside, hopping down from the sink.

“Ladies, I’m very sorry to dip out so soon, but if you give me a few weeks, after my wedding is over, just email me and I’ll do you a three card reading for free, just quote ‘drink up witches’ so I know you were here, but right now I have to have a little chat with this lovely lady right here, it is my hen night after all so I do need to spend some time with my guests.”

Selene was waiting outside, tucked away in a quiet corner, when Ridley emerged from the bathroom a few minutes later.

“You wanted to talk?” Ridley asked, obviously on the defensive, her tone a little waspish.

“I think we need to, don’t you?”

“Not really, I mean, it’s pretty obvious you don’t really want me here.”

“Actually, that couldn’t be further from the truth, I had hoped that we could get to know each other better and be friends, if not for our sake then for John’s.”

“Why are you here?” Kayo asked, overhearing as she positioned herself protectively beside Selene, her radar for trouble having led her straight to them.

“John invited me.”

Kayo rolled her eyes, not in the least surprised at that revelation. She’d been there, she’d seen how the woman had put her brother in danger and she still hadn’t forgiven her. “I wonder how that happened?”

Ridley shrugged, obviously trying for casual. “We were having one of our weekly calls and he told me what your plans were and said I should come along since I love London but hadn’t gone in years and your party sounded like fun.”

Selene raised an eyebrow at this new information.

“Is there a problem?” Ridley asked, shifting to lean against the nearest wall.

Selene weighed up her options, keep her mouth shut and let negative thoughts stick with her for the rest of the night, or say what was on her mind and damn the consequences. She was feeling slightly fuzzy headed and when drinking she wasn’t always at her best with decision making, which was probably why she chose door number two.

“Actually, there is, you just reminded me of how good you are at manipulating people and situations to your own ends, especially John.”

“What do you mean by that?” Ridley demanded to know, folding her arms defensively.

Kayo stepped aside, she knew that look on the witches face, it was her go big or go home look, nothing would stop her once she was on a roll. They had all been on the receiving end of one of her home truths and knew she’d say exactly what she thought.

“Let me spell it out for you,” Selene started and Kayo couldn't help but grin, knowing the witch was about to unleash the same hell she had wanted to. “I don’t appreciate the fact that you almost got my husband killed before I had even met him.”

“Yes, before you met him,” Ridley snapped back, straightening up from the wall she had been leaning against. “I’ve learnt my lesson, I’ve been punished, I feel bad enough as it is and honestly it’s really none of your business.”

“Yes, but do you feel bad for yourself or for what you did to him?” Selene silenced her with a look when she opened her mouth to argue. “Let me make one thing perfectly clear right here, right now, it will always be my business when it comes to him, I am marrying him legally in five days-”

“Legally?” Kayo asked, confused, but Selene plowed on as if she hadn’t even heard her, which considering she was now on one of her famous rants, it was entirely possible she was deaf to anything but herself.

“And marrying him will make me a permanent part of his life. I appreciate that you are friends and I have never had a problem with that or with you, but if you ever,” she stepped closer, getting her face up-close and personal with the other womans, “EVER, do anything to endanger him or any of our family again I will know, and I will hunt you down like the bitch I am and I will make you very, very sorry. Are we clear?”

Selene knew that the look on her face at that moment was in no way pleasant, she was at her fiercest when she was defending those she loved and John was the person she loved most in the world. If Ridley knew what was good for her she would think long and hard about her answer.

Ridley’s eyes darted between the woman in front of her and the equally scary one behind her. She swallowed a few times to work up some saliva and licked her lips before she answered.

“Crystal.”

Like a switch had been flicked, Selene leashed her inner psycho, a genuine smile forming as she slung her arm around Ridley’s shoulders, pulling her in for a hug.

“Cool! So, you two go and get a drink, I can already hear Cat singing, so grab a microphone and pick a song for us to duet later, it’ll be so much fun. I’ll meet you in the bar, alright?” She hugged her again. “I’m so glad we had this chat, I feel it’s cleared the air, don’t you? I’m so happy we can be friends now.”

Kayo took the hint, and grabbed Ridley by the arm when Selene released her. “Come on, you heard her, to the bar.”

“What just happened?” Ridley asked as Kayo towed her away.

“You just got Selene’d, congratulations, that means she accepts you, she's forgiving like that, we’ve all been there. But, just for the record, she wouldn’t be the only one on the hunt.”

Selene watched them go, feeling her limbs begin to tremble as the adrenaline that had coursed through her body slowly drained away. Air, she needed to get some air.

***

John breathed a sigh of relief as he closed the fire exit door behind him and tugged on his jacket. Alan, now his favorite brother, had taken his newly appointed role as best man seriously and, after being sworn to secrecy, had created a much needed distraction by throwing the stripper’s clothes at her. John, never one to waste an opportunity, had seized his chance to make his escape, slipping out of the bar, hightailing it down the hall to the back door and freedom.

Trouble was, now that he was out of there, he had no idea where he wanted to go or what he wanted to do. This was supposed to be his night and so far it hadn’t been that spectacular, though in all honesty, the only thing he felt like doing now was go to bed. After the uncomfortable conversations, blaring music and unwanted touches he was craving some quiet time to himself.

He started walking, not really picking any direction in particular, just aiming in the general direction of their hotel and enjoying the night air after the stuffy interior of the club. He wasn’t usually one for crowds, but cities were different, there was a certain anonymity about a big city crowd. No one cared who you were, no one wanted to talk to you, they just wanted to get where they were going and were solely focused inwardly on themselves and their pursuits. It was peaceful, but he knew he couldn’t stay out there all night, he had to pick somewhere, it was just too bad that none of the museums were open at, he looked at his watch, ten at night.

They had a nice hotel room just waiting for them and the temptation to make use of it was too great. He’d text his brothers once he got there and let them know to go out on their own, at least then some of them would have a good night. Decision made, he quickened his step.

While their hotel near Regent Street was in one of the quieter parts of the capital there were still a large number of clubs, bars and restaurants, as well as street vendors and the combined smells of so many regional foods was making him hungry. They had eaten at the club earlier but it really hadn’t been to his tastes and now that he was earthside he was craving his favorite cheeseburger. Since Selene wasn’t with him he could indulge in as many extra pickles as he wanted. If he spotted a burger stand he would have to stop for one to take back to the hotel, the ones you got from room service were never as good as something that had been cooked on a greasy griddle out in the open. God, his mouth was watering at the thought.

His eyes scanned the scenery, checking out everything on offer, zeroing in on a likely candidate. Checking for oncoming traffic, he crossed to the other side of the street, dodged around a small cluster of ladies exiting a wine bar and stopped dead, a smile forming on his face.

“Here ya go, extra vinegar, extra salt, double ketchup,that’ll be four-fifty, love,” the man said, holding out his payment pad for her thumb print.

“Thanks so much,” Selene pushed her thumb against the scanner, holding it there until it beeped. She reached for her chips but froze when a pair of arms slid their way around her waist. She stiffened, her arm drawing back, ready to elbow her attacker where it would hurt, but relaxed when a low voice purred in her ear.

“Is there any chance you feel like sharing those with me, beautiful?”

“Is this man bothering you, love?” the owner of the food van asked, leaning over the counter protectively.

“Only every day of my life,” she laughed.

“You know him?”

“I’m marrying her in five days,” John told him. “I assure you, I’m safe, but I thank you for your concern.”

“Can you add a double cheeseburger, extra pickles to my order, please?” Selene asked, leaving her chips where they were so she could drop her hands down to his, entwining their fingers.

"Yeah, no problem," the vendor said, whistling softly as he slapped two patties onto his griddle now that he'd seen to his customers safety.

"So, did you escape or are the others around here somewhere? Do I need to feed them too?"

"I escaped," he answered, resting his chin on her shoulder as he hugged her against his chest. "What about you?"

"Escaped, needed some air and some food that wasn't doll sized."

"Here you go," the vendor placed the burger down beside her chips. "Enjoy."

"Thank you," John relinquished his hold on her to scoop up the food. "Do you have time to sit with me a while and eat this or were you wanting to head back?"

"Stupid question, you're always my first choice."

"Want to find somewhere quiet then?"

"Thought you'd never ask."

For October the night was only a little chilly and they opted to stay outside to eat, finding a bench where they could sit and watch the world go by. John picked the pickles out of his burger and ate them first, knowing she would want to steal a few bites while she unwrapped her chips and balanced them between them, using their knees as a makeshift table.

As always, they fell into easy chatting as they ate, feeling relaxed now that they were away from their respective groups.

"How was the club?" Selene asked once he'd finished his burger and she had eaten her fill of chips.

"Awful, it was like stepping back in time and not in a good way. You know those kind of gentleman’s clubs you see in old movies, where the men are all sitting around in their leather wingback chairs, swirling brandy around large glasses and puffing on their cigars while surrounded on all sides with their trophy kills that adorn the walls?"

She nodded, able to picture it perfectly in her mind.

"It was like that, really not our thing. Dad said that it was a Cape Kennedy tradition to join up with the branch there and he paid for a lifetime membership for himself and all of us. He said that those places were where the men really did their business, not in boardrooms. It's where politicians are born and deals are stuck and it helped him get his company off the ground."

"Still not selling it to me, babe."

"Wasn't selling it for me either, I've no interest in doing that kind of business."

"Then why go?"

"The others thought it would be quieter, they meant well but it didn't really fit f-"

John's phone beeped at the same moment as Selene’s, interrupting him and he sat up to dig it out of his back pocket, balancing it on his knee so he could finish the chips while she rummaged around in her bag in an effort to locate hers.

"Yeah?" he answered, muffled by a mouthful of chips.

"John!" Kayo’s worried face popped up, her blueish tinged hologram glowing brightly in the darkness. "We've lost Selene, there was an incident with Ridley, but she seemed fine, now we can’t find her, can you track her, she's not got her comm with her, just her phone.”

John raised an eyebrow, glancing at Selene who smiled back innocently, having extracted her own phone. He gave her his ‘dont try that with me’ look, patent pending, but she blew him a kiss as Scott’s head erupted from her screen with all his usual impatience.

“Hey, what’s up?”

“We lost John. He was right there but by the time we’d finished paying off the stripper he’d gone. Can you call him? He's not answering us, we've tried four times."

It was Selene’s turn to throw a look, John shrugged in return. Selene nodded at his comm and then her’s and, with perfect synchronicity, they both turned their cameras to display the other.

“How the fuck did that happen?” Scott demanded to know.

“Did you two literally just sneak out of your own parties so you could meet up and get food?” Kayo accused.

“Totally unintentional, I promise,” Selene soothed. “We just happened to be in the same place at the same time and were both hungry.”

“I don’t believe you but right now I don’t care, just get your ass back here!” Kayo ordered before cutting the call.

“Looks like I’m in trouble,” Selene winced.

“So is John,” Scott snarled. “We’re on our way, don’t go anywhere, I’ll track you down if you do!” He too vanished as the call ended.

“Do I want to know about the stripper?” Selene asked as she tucked her phone away.

“No. Do I want to know about this ‘incident’?”

“Nope, it’s sorted now.”

“Agree to never speak of this again?”

“Agreed,” Selene sighed, leaning her head against his shoulder. “I think I had better go, it’s not really fair of me to have left all my friends alone in a club when they don’t know everyone.”

“It was totally fair of me to leave mine alone, they deserved it, but I understand on your part.”

“Can I get a kiss before I go?”

“Is that allowed? It’s your bachelorette after all, aren’t you supposed to be flirting with random strangers and starting bar fights?” John teased, leaning closer to close the gap between them.

“I’d never want a random stranger and we just won’t talk about almost starting a fight,” she grinned.

“Wait, you almost started a fi-” She silenced him with her lips against his, sighing happily as the world narrowed down to just the two of them, because in that moment he was her world, he was all she needed, everything else was just filler.

The kiss was rather chaste and over far too quickly but they were in the middle of a street and beginning to draw attention, so he broke away, dropping a little kiss on her nose as a farewell gesture.

“You had better get going before Kayo hunts you down.”

“I know,” Selene dragged herself reluctantly to her feet. “I’ll see you back at the hotel?”

“Yep, though I don’t know when, I had hoped to make a clean getaway but my plans were thwarted by a beautiful woman with a bag of fries.”

“Can’t win em all,” Selene laughed as she forced herself to walk away. It sucked quite honestly, she was supposed to be out having a good time with her friends, celebrating her upcoming wedding but half her friends, including her best friend, weren’t there with her. She stopped dead, an idea forming as she turned back to face him. “Babe?”

“Hmm?” he glanced up from his phone.

“I know you’re not a huge fan of karaoke, but do you want to come with me?”

“Is that even allowed?”

“Who cares? It’s not traditional, but then when have we been following that if we can help it?” she shrugged. “It’ll keep everyone else occupied and that way we can all have fun together. It’s my friend’s club, it’s not that crowded and they have VIP sections we can use if we need some peace. Come on, what do you say?” she held out her hand in offer.

John thought about it for a moment or two. No, it wasn’t traditional, but it would be a damn sight better than whatever his idiot brothers could dream up at this late hour, who knew how far they would go? Merging their parties was the most obvious and probably best solution.

“I say I’m in, but I warn you, I refuse to sing,” he got up and took her hand, although one thing made him pause. "Sel? Why is your butt wet?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54 0 25
When the rocket ship you're on starts to go a little wrong, who are you going to call? Being part of a super-secret rescue organisation sure puts a c...
315 2 16
One day, Madison Russell is swimming in her grandmother's pool, a typical summer day in 2017. She lets herself sink to the bottom for a moment of sil...
392 15 11
*based on the 2015 series* *there is also a twist or more, why? Because i wanna* Skyler "Skye" Tracy is the only daughter of Jeff and Lucy Tracy, she...
2.5K 106 41
From the Thunderbirds Are Go series. 5 years into the future (past anything that will show because characters don't age on TV). Everyone in Internati...