Daughter Of Twilight (Complet...

By JessicaPowell481

š—” š—ŗš˜†š˜€š˜š—²š—暝—¶š—¼š˜‚š˜€ š—Æš—¼š˜† š—³š—暝—¼š—ŗ š—µš—²š—æ š—±š—暝—²š—®š—ŗš˜€. š—” š—°š—¹š—¼š—®š—øš—²š—± š—³š—¶š—“š˜‚š—暝—² š˜€š˜š—®š—¹š—øš—¶š—»š—“... More

Cover
Blurb
Acknowledgment
Please Read before continuing!!
Maps
Races, Spells, and Creatures
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thiry-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three

Chapter Four

234 41 162
By JessicaPowell481

I was floating. It felt so good. But I knew I was sleeping for too long... No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't wake up. There was a commotion a while ago; I could hear people shouting and shaking me. My eyes wouldn't open. I just continued to fall into the darkness.

Where am I?

My skin chilled, and a rough, scratchy blanket was pulled over me. I was lying on something soft and warm.

I opened my eyes and was blinded by a bright light. I quickly shut them. Slowly my hearing came back, and I became more aware of what was around me. My father's voice came through. He was talking to someone.

"I don't know what I'm doing here!" He continued, his tone rising. "...You said this would stop, that it was for the best, but I'm not sure anymore..." His voice dropped, filling with worry. "They say she's stable..."

I've never heard my father so broken... So desperate. I wanted to tell him I was okay. But I felt so heavy.

"Yeah... I know... She's been doing what! Is that wh―... you need to fix this!... Okay...Goodbye." He let out a shaky sigh, and I felt myself slipping again. I must not be at Jessica's anymore. How long have I been asleep? The world faded away from me again.

I didn't know how long I was out. Time was a strange thing when you had no senses.

Something suddenly pulled me from my chest. Like a snap, I felt like I was burning. The heat was so suffocating. Then it was freezing cold, sending me into shock.

An invisible tether pulled my being and harshly tugged me forward. There was a light in the distance getting bigger and brighter at a rapid pace. I was going too fast! The light swallowed me, the sheer pressure making my body feel like it had been slammed repeatedly into a wall.

My senses came rushing back to me. I could feel everything- specifically the tube that was down my throat. I groaned; it was immensely uncomfortable.

"She's awake!" A familiar voice yelled.

The instant I opened my eyes, I regretted it. The lights in the room were too intense. It hurt. I looked over to my side, where the voice had come from.

Isaac sat there, shocked, then smiled widely. "Welcome back."

The nurses rushed me, and the doctor came running in. I coughed. My throat felt like sandpaper. They removed a bunch of tapes and slowly pulled the tube. I took a deep breath and gagged, feeling light-headed. The doctors were asking me things, but I couldn't register what they were saying. I was so confused. Tears formed in my eyes. I tried to speak, but everything hurt too much.

Where was I? Where's dad? Why was Isaac here?

After fixing me up, dad finally came rushing into the room. His shirt was wrinkled and haphazardly thrown on. His hair was tousled and matted; he looked like he hadn't showered in days. He began to weep at the sight of me.

"Elizabeth!" My name left his lips, barely a whisper. His eyes widened in shock and relief. He bolted towards me, tripping over his own feet.

"Da... Daddy!" I cried, my voice hoarse. His arms engulfed me in a firm hug. He was shaking. What happened? I looked around the room. I was in the hospital. The last thing I remembered was talking with Jess about Isaac after the party.

"It's okay, sweetheart. You're okay." My dad smoothed down the mess of hair and sweat. His voice cracked in pain. Hot tears streamed down his face and dripped onto me as he showered me in kisses. This must have really shaken him up. What happened?!

After another slew of questions from the medical staff handling me, the doctor pulled my dad aside. "We'd like to keep her here overnight for observation. If all goes well, she may be discharged in the morning. We would also like to do a couple of tests to see if we can pinpoint what happened now that she's awake." The doctor said calmly, lightly patting him on the shoulder. He smiled reassuringly. "She's going to be alright, Mr. Carter." After a few more checks, they soon left, leaving me alone with my father.

"What.. what happened, dad?" I croaked pitifully. My voice was raw and my throat, sore.

Dad rubbed the dark circles under his eyes, the tiredness catching up to him as he pulled up a seat beside my bed. "You had probably been asleep for maybe a couple of hours. Then you started screaming. Jessica tried to wake you up, but they said you just kept screaming. When you finally stopped, you still wouldn't wake. They called the ambulance, and on the way, you had trouble breathing. You slipped into a coma... the doctors... They ran so many tests, but they couldn't find a cause. You've stumped them... Do you remember anything?"

I shook my head. "I don't even remember falling asleep... How long have I been out?"

His leg bounced, nervous. "About a week," he replied, firmly clutching my hand.

"How long has it been since you slept?" I asked hesitantly.

He looked at me, his eyes like that of a lost puppy. "About... About a week. I couldn't. Not even medicine worked."

"You should go home, dad. Get some sleep. I'll be fine," I said, pulling up the best smile I can to reassure him.

He shook his head. "No. I can't. I left your mother and she..."

"I'm not like mom. I'm fine. I'm in a hospital surrounded by doctors." I said sadly. He was scared. I didn't want him to be like this. "I promise." My heart felt heavy, seeing him so broken. I had never seen him like this. He was always so strong.

He kissed my hand. "But you are... You are so much like her."

Stubborn as he was, after a little more pushing, I finally got him to leave. He gave me my phone, my school bag, and my laptop. Jessica had been taking my notes for me, which was nice. I didn't need to worry too much about catching up. Afterward, I kissed my dad goodbye. I made him promise to get cleaned up and rest. I took in my room, finally alone to gather my thoughts. I wonder where Isaac snuck off to? He was here, wasn't he? I didn't imagine that I hope... The room was white and sterile. There was a couch along the wall and a couple of chairs in the corner. A Tv hung from the ceiling. On the whiteboard was my name and information about my condition. Letters and balloons sat near the table across from me. A week... I had been asleep for a week and I still feel like crap.

I called a nurse, "Can I get something soft to eat and am I allowed to take a shower?"

"Yes, I can put an order in for you. Anything specific?" She asked and I shook my head. She put the order in and helped me get up after unhooking my IV and wrapping it up.

With a bit of difficulty, my legs wobbled as she led me into the bathroom and pulled the curtain back. "There's already soap in there for you. Take your time, when you are done, just call me back and we'll put the IV back in. Call me if you need anything else." She said warmly and left me to get undressed.

The hot water felt so good on my aching body. Why did I feel like I'd been in an accident? My skin was dry, and my face was so greasy from the make-up. I cannot describe how good it felt to wash my hair. After my shower, I changed into my pajamas my dad had packed. The nurses had left some warm mashed potatoes, applesauce, and chocolate pudding near my bed. Settling back in, I sent Jessica a text telling her I was awake and that I was sorry I ruined her birthday. She replied quickly, but I didn't read it.

After sitting in bed going through the online canvas and the even more enormous mountain of homework, I still had plenty of time to spend. I got up to stretch and walk around my room a little.

A shadow flashed out of the corner of my eye towards the door. Through the window, I saw a cloaked figure. When it noticed I was staring, it jumped and ran.

I quickly hobbled after it, but when I stepped out of my room, they were gone. My heart raced, and the nurses around the lobby asked if I was okay. I nodded and went back to my room. Who was that? Why did I keep seeing them? I felt like I was slowly losing my mind. Why did this happen to me? Why was I like this? I buried myself under the covers. Tears burned in my eyes. I just want this to go away. I cried until my eyes and face hurt, and my mind shut off from exhaustion.

Nurses came and went during the night to check on me, making sure the events of that night did not repeat. I didn't dream, thankfully. I was done with this illness and just wanted a break from it.

To my dismay, a noise stirred me from my sleep. Two cloaked figures entered my room, quietly arguing amongst themselves; I was too tired to care. I didn't even know if it was real. I'm actually losing my mind, how about that?.

"Shh, be quiet," A feminine voice whispered softly and sweetly.

The other one huffed and crossed her arms. "I only wanted to see her... I didn't think this would happen. You never tell me anything!" She whined.

I twitched.

"Hush. If you won't be quiet, I'll make you wait in the hall." One came closer to me. I mumbled in my sleep. I tried willing them to go away, whether they were real or hallucinations; I was just so exhausted.

"It's okay, dear one. You need not worry anymore. Just sleep." A warm and calming feeling spread throughout my body. Her hands hovered above me, and there was a faint light. My body tingled. I wanted to open my eyes to look at them, but I didn't have the strength. The light faded. Peeking through my eyelids, I saw her. She was leaning over me in the dark room. Her face got closer to mine. I caught a glimpse of pale skin and red lips.

Then she spoke so softly. "I'm sorry, precious. This should never have happened. Sleep well and know peace." My mind started drifting back into sleep. I felt her lips brush my forehead. Then in a split second, they were gone. I could no longer feel them around me. The memory slowly slipped from my mind, and I fell back into a deep sleep.

The following day I woke up feeling rejuvenated. I'd never felt so good. My father had stopped by looking better than he did a day ago. The doctors came by, and the nurses took my vitals. They talked with my dad about insurance and payments. I caused him more stress; I felt so bad about it. The doctors scheduled me for an MRI and a slew of other tests, which went by pretty quickly. My dad brought me food from Mcdonald's, and Jess and Michael stopped by.

Jessica came storming into the room. Her face was stern as she tackled me. "Thank god you're awake! I was so worried!" She squeezed me and then smacked my arm. "Why would you send a text like that and then not even look at my response!"

"I'm sorrー"

She pointed her finger at me and narrowed her eyes. "You had no control over what happened! There was nothing you could have done. No need to apologize." She chastised. "I'm just glad you're awake, and I have you back.'' She hugged me again and wiggled her way onto the bed.

She started going on about what I missed at school and all the drama happening. Apparently, all the strange things had stopped, and everyone was back to their everyday lives. Now the most significant thing at school was Isaac and all the girls fawning over him.

There was a knock on the door. Isaac stood in the doorway carrying a bouquet of white lilies. Jessica smiled. "Speak of the devil! I'm gonna go grab a snack from the machines." she kissed my forehead and winked at Isaac on the way out.

He strolled over to me and smiled. My heart skipped a beat. "I'm glad you're awake. It was getting lonely in History."

"How can you be lonely? You're the talk of the school." I stated shyly. His smile broadened and he shrugged.

He sat on the bed and handed me the flowers. "Did they figure out what had happened?" He asked.

"No, not yet. I'm still waiting for the test results."

Just then, my dad came in and smiled when he saw us. "Oh! Hello, I didn't know anyone else was coming to visit. You are...?"

Isaac stood up and stepped forward to shake dad's hand. "Isaac, sir, I was here when she woke up."

Oh god... please don't embarrass me, dad...

"Oh, yeah, I remember you. Are you the boy Elizabeth keeps talking about?" He asked, and Isaac glanced at me. My face reddened.

"Dad!" I groaned, drawing out his name in annoyance.

Dad laughed heartily. "After we get discharged, we're going to dinner. Care to join us, Isaac?"

Oh no...

"I'd love to!" He sat at the end of my bed and turned to me. "Is that okay?"

Not wanting to be rude, I nodded. Embarrassment seeped into me. Soon, Jessica came hopping back energetically into the room with snacks.

After hours of waiting, the doctors came back with the test results; everything turned out normal. I was discharged from the hospital with yet another prescription.

I sighed. This one probably won't work either.

The ride to the restaurant was quiet as I sat nervously in the back seat. Isaac followed close behind us in his car. My dad looked more relaxed. I was glad he was feeling better. I had the strangest feeling that something weird had happened last night at the hospital. But I couldn't remember anything except the faintest scent of sage and lilacs.

During dinner, dad talked Isaac's ear off the entire time. He asked about what his plans were and what he wanted to do. I sat nervously picking at my food. Isaac sat next to me, I could feel the heat from his body. His hand grazed mine and he held it gently. I felt my face blush and I smiled.

"What about your parents? What do they do?" Dad asked, taking a bite of his food. Isaac stiffened and I glanced at him.

He laughed nervously. I had never seen him nervous before... "I never knew my father and my mother... I guess you could say she works in politics."

Dad nodded. "I'd like to meet her sometime." I internally groaned. Why did Isaac agree to this? Isaac laughed and continued to eat while we listened to my dad ramble on about politics for the rest of dinner.

I plopped on my bed, relieved to be back in my room. Hospitals always stressed me out. There was a knock on my door. "Come in."

Isaac stepped in, and I jumped up.

"I wanted to see how you were. I didn't get a chance to talk to you during dinner." He sat in the chair next to my desk. I noticed he took his bun out and his hair fell gracefully around his face; I never realized how long it was.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It was awkward but fun. Dad seemed to like you." I smiled and rolled over to stare at my ceiling. "I wish I was normal."

He laughed and laid down next to me. "Normal is overrated. Haven't you read any books? Characters are never just normal." We laid next to each other in silence. It was comfortable.

He rolled over onto his stomach. I felt his body tense as he fiddled with his hands. He's nervous. Why!? "Would... would you want to go out to the movies sometime?"

My eyes widened. He just asked me out... What should I say? I felt my face reddening. I liked Isaac; he was charming. He wants me even with my illness. I smiled shyly. "Sure."

He jumped up, his eyes lighting up excitedly. "There's a movie coming out this weekend. I'll pick you up at noon?"

"Sure." I smiled. I felt as if my heart was going to burst.

"Great! I can't wait. I gotta go. I'll see you at school." He was thrilled. He jumped up off the bed, his smile wide as he hurried out of my room. I giggled at his excitement. He's so weird.

I'd never thought someone like Isaac would take an interest in me. I had a date... Just wait till Jessica finds out. Oh jeez. Butterflies swarmed in my stomach. What was I even going to wear?

©2021 Jessica Powell. All Rights Reserved 

-Thank you to my wonderful editor Arco.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

455K 27K 54
ā‚Š āŪŖŪŖą½“ą½».;:ą­­Ģ„. š€ šƒš‘š€š†šŽš š‹šŽš•š„ š’š“šŽš‘š˜ ׂׂׂׂą«¢ą¼‹ą¼˜ąæ Laura St...
Wolf Bite || BL By Nic

Mystery / Thriller

1.1K 140 95
Monday, August 1 Dear Isaac, if you're reading this, that means you've turned eighteen. Congratulations, I'm so proud of you. I hope you had a great...
492 78 25
"Save the world, and join the fight, or else the entire world will die tonight. Take up arms, protect your neck, or else it'll be you who is another...
10.3K 513 14
|CROSSROADS x LEAP YEAR | Eighteen-year-old April Lewis flees her troubled home, desperate to escape her emotionally distant, controlling mom, and se...