Seriously Yours

By RiSeRi_82

An odd cohabitation. Her dream house is his home. Could two strangers live together peacefully? Update: Every... More

Chapter 1 - Welcome to Korea, Yoon Se Ri!
Chapter 2 - The Unwelcome Owner
Chapter 3 - The Negotiation
Chapter 4 - Hyeoky
Chapter 5 - Hyeoky Is Popular
Chapter 6 - A Scare
Chapter 7 - Assumptions
Chapter 8 - Grocery Shopping
Chapter 10 - Se Ri's Unlucky Day
Chapter 11 - Police Station
Chapter 12 - Pacifying Se Ri
Announcement
Chapter 13 - Party in the House
Chapter 14 - Se Ri's New Job
Chapter 15 - The Dentist
Chapter 16 - The Test
Chapter 17 - Blackmail
Chapter 18 - Lost in Her Eyes
Chapter 19 - Records Section
Chapter 20 - Affectionate Se Ri?
Chapter 21 - Drunk
Chapter 22 - Hang Over
Chapter 23 - Deja Vu
Chapter 24 - Something Strange About Jeong Hyeok
Chapter 25 - Couch
Chapter 26 - Jinx
Chapter 27 - Reminiscent
Chapter 28 - A Request
Chapter 29 - Chase
Chapter 30 - Village Party
Chapter 31 - Counter
Chapter 32 - SeRial Kisser
Chapter 33 - Serial Killer?
Chapter 34 - Boating
Chapter 35 - Escape Island

Chapter 9 - Petty Fight

1.1K 94 15
By RiSeRi_82

"No. I couldn't let a woman do grocery shopping alone," I say in my usual stoic tone.

I believe I could have sounded pensive and upset more if only I wasn't talking to Yoon Se Ri. These words bit me back as a painful memory came to my mind like a flash.

Se Ri watches me curiously as my expression became stiffer from my thoughts. I grow self-conscious.

"Wait here, I forgot to get something," I say to her and leaves her the cart. Suddenly, I need space to breathe.

When I come back, Se Ri is no longer on the spot where I left her. I glance around me and finally see her at the end of the aisle, standing in front of a free taste stall. She is munching happily while holding another toothpick of free sausage in her hand.

I find myself half-laughing half-scoffing when she shoves another sausage into her mouth although her mouth is still half full. She nods approvingly and I think she is telling the merchandiser that it tastes good, while she takes another one again.

I am watching her intently, amazed by her bold and animated reactions, when she suddenly glances in my direction and waves at me. Like a young boy caught staring at his crush for who knew how long, my face flush a little. But I manage to pull off a serious expression when I reach her side.

"Jeong Hyeok-ah, taste this. This is delicious," she says. She picks one and reaches out to me. But she has raised it so close to my face that I wonder if I have to take it from her hand or open my mouth. I do the latter.

"What? Is it delicious?" she asks.

I can only nod as a response and before I can recover from the embarrassment of being fed, she moves closer to me and tip-toed, then whispers something in my ear.

"It's more delicious because it's free, we don't need to buy it," she says in a hushed tone. Her breath brings a tingling sensation to my neck as she couldn't reach my ears. I almost jumped from my place to my surprise.

After giving me another stick of sausage, she smiles sweetly at the merchandiser, and then she stirs the cart for us to leave. As we reach another free taste stall, she takes two cups, gives me one, and drinks hers in one shot. She burps and then exhales soundly, looking like a fully satisfied customer coming out from a restaurant.

'This woman can survive whatever, whenever, wherever,' I thought, while I put the cup in my mouth to drink. My eyes grow big and I glance at Se Ri immediately after tasting it. It's an alcoholic drink!

Upon reaching the counter, Se Ri's peaceful expression changes. I notice her fidget anxiously beside me while focusing on the POS machine in front of us. Her eyelids get heavier and heavier as the cost of our items increases. When there are a few items left, I bring out something from my pocket and give it to her.

"We are entitled to a raffle draw, fill out what's needed there on the information counter," I tell her.

"Oh! I thought you threw it away when the staff gave it to you at the entrance," she says while smiling at the ticket. Well, I really could have thrown it away if I have seen a trash can a while ago.

Before leaving, she glances anxiously at the POS one last time then she goes to the information just in front of us. When the cashier finally scans the last item, I take out my card from my wallet. I don't really mind paying for the grocery alone. Since I have a huge appetite, I usually buy food and things that are good for two or three people.

I am already outside, leaning on the car, waiting for her when she comes out of the supermarket. I did not have the slightest idea that it would take her long to fill out that thing.

I wait for her to reach the passenger's side before opening the door and getting inside the driver's seat.

"By the way, how much it is?" she asks. I know she'd ask that right away.

I fumble on my pocket for the receipt while I stare in front to maneuver the car out of the parking lot. I glance at her shortly and see her mouth opens in surprise when she sees the total amount. I believe she had already divided the cost in her mind as she lowers her eyes while giving me back the receipt. She clears her throat before speaking.

"Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi...."

Hearing my full name on her mouth spell-like danger. Like a teacher calling me out for a recitation.

"-you see, it's only my third day here in Korea. I am practically someone who is just starting her life again. When I came here I was only thinking to buy things good for a week only."

"So?" I ask sternly while keeping my eyes on the road, although I really know what she is meaning to say.

"So... I can only pay you a week's worth of my share now," she says in a very matter-of-fact way.

"What?" I utter ridiculously. Well, I just tried to sound like that.

"It's your fault anyway. You did not even tell me that you're taking a month's worth of items!" She complains. I glance at her unbelievably.

"I want a full amount-"

"You're so cruel!" She cuts right away and snaps at me.

"How could you be so unsympathetic and unfeeling! I almost thought you're considerate and kind. You're so despicable!"

'Despicable?'

"Are you done talking?"

She raised her chin at me challengingly in affirmation.

"What I mean is, I want a full amount so... pay me when you already have money," I say, stretching out my words for her to understand. Though I don't really have any intention to make her pay me, I don't want to sound too cheesy to say it's all on me.

She stops surprised by what I've said. She cowered at her seat and I can see her steals glances at me sideways. She opens her mouth to say something.

"You should have told me earlier. I was upset at you for nothing, Aish," she murmurs somberly.

"You cut me in," I reply in a low voice. It almost sounded like a sulk.

"Yeah, I did."

Feeling embarrassed, she keeps quiet and stares outside all throughout the ride. I sigh thinking, I would rather like that she is upset at me than upset at herself. We remain silent until we reach home. Once I turn off the engine, she goes out of the car and waits for me in front of the trunk, obviously to help me carry the items. When I got it open, she immediately takes two bags but before she could lift them up, I stop her. She glances at me inquisitively which I answer by giving her the lightest bag.

"Here," I say then I lift the other two heaviest bags with one hand and the remaining box in the other.

Glancing at what she is holding in contrast to mine, she must be thinking that she should carry another bag when she tugs one bag from my hold.

"Just open the gate and the door," I tell her.

For a guy who is used to living alone, it is kind of strange to have someone help me with packing out and putting in the groceries. That I can't help but steal glances at Se Ri. I think she feels the same.

Remembering that I have to meet someone this afternoon, I casually tell her that I have to go and will be late this evening. She gives me a tiny nod.

* * *

The waiter leads me to a private room where two persons are already inside waiting for me.

"Detective Ri Jeong Hyeok?" The two stand up and greet me.

I salute them both and they do the same in return. We all sit down and they proceed to introduce themselves: Ko Myeong Seok, a stout and short man in his early fifties is a senior detective of the criminal division in Jeju. He comes to meet me personally before assigning to me the detective that I will work with the case.

"I want to introduce to you, your partner, Detective Pyo Chi Su."

A tall and slim man in his mid-thirties bows at me slightly and says, "Nice to meet you, Detective Ri."

He sounds foreign to me that I immediately glance at the Senior Inspector after he spoke.

"Ah, he had been assigned to a special case in North Korea before that's why he got the dialect," the senior detective clarifies.

Chi Su smiles proudly which I return with a small nod.

"I will do best in this case, Detective Ri. You can count on me!" Chi Su says with full confidence. The two detectives in front of me exchange assuring smiles while I remain stoic.

"The papers?" I ask sternly.

"Ah, yes!"

Senior Detective Ko brings out a brown envelope and gives it to me. I open it and check on my new credentials: Seoul University's medical school diploma, a medical license, new identification cards, etcetera etcetera. All claiming that I am a professional doctor and medical researcher.

"Just like what has been decided, since you are from Jeju, you will use your original name. We also have frozen any available data online about you already."

"They won't have found any, anyway. I don't have social media accounts nor use the internet," I say matter-a-factly.

"Oh, I see, that's why you got it all set in an hour," the senior detective glances at Chi Su inquisitively.

"We couldn't find his name at all!" Chi Su whispers to him as he glances at me shortly.

"By the way, the lady inspector who was about to go undercover with me has not been able to go. Do you have someone who can replace her?" I ask.

"Lady?"

The two look at each other uncomfortably for a moment but then smile at me afterward.

"Don't worry detective. We'll look into it," Senior Detective Ko replies assuringly.

I return everything back on the envelope and stand up.

"I'll go to the station tomorrow," then I bow at them and leave the room.

* * *

When Ri Jeong Hyeok left the room, Senior Detective Ko and Chi Su stare at each other.

"He really looked strict and mysterious just like what they said. Seoul detectives are really different! Whew!" Myeong Seok says to his junior.

"-but... I'm higher in rank, though. Did he looked at me lowly?" He continues as if he is oblivious of his behavior a while ago. Chi Su studies him and fixes his tie for him.

"Aside from you are literally smaller than him, Sir, you really acted like someone ready to wipe his ass."

"Aish! The deputy said he got someone big behind his back that's why I reacted that way!"

"By the way, Sir, we are all men in the station. Where will we find a lady to go undercover?" Chi Su asks.

Both of them shake their heads and sigh. Why did this unfortunate case fell into their hands? Oh, dear Jeju!

Back to the station, the senior detective goes directly to his office while Chi Su is greeted by his fellow police officers.

"Detective Chi Su, what does he looks like?" Ju Meok asks excitedly. He loves watching action movies with Seoul detectives as heroes. He wants to know if detectives from Seoul are really handsome, tall, enigmatic, and charismatic like what he sees in movies.

Chi Su leans half of his body on the wall and thinks deeply, "Hmmm... He is tall.... buffed.... good looking.... mysterious...."

Ju Meok beams with delight as Chi Su describes the man, while Eun Dong and Kwang Beom, other police officers present, listen attentively.

"And, well.... our looks are not far from each other. We almost looked the same," Chi Su finishes, earning him jeers from his fellow police officers.

Chi Su just walks to his table confidently, ignoring their sighs and mocks, and then a letter on his table draws his attention.

It's from their informant.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

148K 6.8K 37
Fate decides to bring rough circumstances for the two lovers who just started to madly fall in love with each other. Are they really destined to be t...
19.1K 1.4K 5
Sometimes you don't realize that the person you have been looking for all your life is the one right in front of you. Story Cover © @chumchururum
465K 15.1K 49
meeting each other, hating each other, becoming friends, and helping each other. you'd think they've been through it all. ik it's another roommates...
16.3K 584 32
𝐢𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, 𝐚 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐝𝐲 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐩𝐨𝐩 𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐲, 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐥𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐛𝐢𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤�...