From Prat to Husband, how the...

By Kili-Loverxx

Summary: When Merlyn first came to Camelot and had to be a maidservant and silent protector to the prat Princ... More

Cast
Moodboard
Merlyn
Prologue
Chapter One, Arthur Finds Out
Chapter Two, Tears of Uther Pendragon Part 1
Chapter Three, Tears of Uther Pendragon Part 2
Chapter Four,Tears of Uther Pendragon Part 3
Chapter Five, Meeting Kilgharrah
Chapter Six, Goblin's Gold Part 1
Chapter Seven, Goblin's Gold Part 2
Chapter Eight, Gaius the Goblin
Trailer
Chapter Nine, Capturing the Goblin
Chapter Ten, Day out gone wrong
Chapter Eleven, Gwaine
Chapter Twelve, Trouble Stirring
Chapter Fourteen, Gwaine is a What?
Chapter Fifteen, Earthen Magic
Chapter Sixteen, The Mele
Chapter Seventeen, Sir Gwaine, Knight of Camelot
Chapter Eighteen, The Valley of the Fallen Kings
Chapter Nineteen, The Crystal Cave
Chapter Twenty, The Damage of the Crystal
Chapter Twenty-One, Morgana's Birthday
Chapter Twenty-Two, Dangerous Waters
Chapter Twenty-Three, Eye of the Phoenix
Chapter Twenty-Four, Courage, Strength, Magic
Chapter Twenty-Five, The Fisher King
Chapter Twenty-Six, Water of Avalon
Chapter Twenty-Seven, Queen of Hearts
Chapter Twenty-Eight, Plans Gone Awry
Chapter Twenty-Nine, Dragra the Great
Chapter Thirty, Another Stupid Tournament
Chapter Thirty-One, Epilogue

Chapter Thirteen, Gwaine to the Rescue

1.9K 67 13
By Kili-Loverxx

Chapter Thirteen, Gwaine to the Rescue

The next morning Merlyn awoke with a smile on her face as she dressed in a white underdress with a maroon overdress, her signature brown boots and braided hairstyle. It felt amazing to finally have a friend she could be herself with and be fully honest with. Lancelot knew and they correspond through letters since he'd left Camelot a few years ago but it wasn't the same. Then there was Gwen; her best friend but there was a huge gap between them, not that Gwen knew. The reason for that was she was constantly lying to Gwen and she hated it, but she also couldn't risk Morgana and Morgause finding out about her magic and she selfishly or not depending who you asked, didn't tell Gwen about her magic because she didn't want to lose her friend. So to have Gwaine as her friend and to accept her with her magic was a literal godsend.

A smile graced her face once again when she entered her rooms and spotted both Gwaine and Gaius sitting at the table waiting for her to join them for breakfast; Gwaine looked rather well considering how much he drank last night.
"Morning." She chirped happily, hugging Gwaine, and kissing Gaius's cheek as she sat beside him.
"Morning Merlyn bird." Gwaine grinned.
"Good morning, my dear girl." Gaius said happily, happy to see his daughter happy. In the back of her mind she knew Arthur would be angry about the Tavern bill but she couldn't bring herself to care right now.
"I'll see you later." Merlyn said, kissing Gaius' cheek and after a moment of hesitation, gave Gwaine another hug, before she almost skipped out of the chambers. While the two men watched her go with adoring smiles on their faces.
"I'll see you later Merlyn bird." Gwaine shouted after her making her smile widen. 

"Sorry I'm late." Merlyn said, rushing into Arthur's chambers with his breakfast, seeing him sat at his desk, his head on his fist and an unreadable expression on his face.
"Not at all." Arthur waved off surprising her, normally he would rant for at least five minutes before they bantered and teased each other before he finally pecked her on the lips. But she just smiled and brushed it off.
"Sure you're alright?" Arthur asker as Merlyn started making his bed. "You're not sick, unsteady, about to burst into song?"
"Well, song, maybe. The rest, no." Merlyn teased but Arthur just glared at her and banged his hand on the bill she'd spotted on his desk. Without taking his eyes off her Arthur picked up the bill, shook it out and started to read.

"Fourteen quarts of mead, three flagons of wine, five quarts of cider, four dozen pickled eggs." Arthur read out ignoring Merlyn's explanation.
"That was Gwaine. He went to the Tavern celebrating for well, just because and because he said I'm his first friend." Merlyn said with a roll of her eyes at Arthur's rising jealousy she could see in his eyes. "Arthur, he's just a friend, like... Will... Leon and Lancelot." She complained. "Anyway, he got carried away and couldn't pay for it."
"So you said I would." Arthur stated.
"You said he's to be given anything he needs or wants." Merlyn reminded him.
"Four dozen pickled eggs?" Arthur shouted.

"I'm sorry. I'll pay for it."  Merlyn apologised.
"You most certainly will." Arthur said, as he threw the bill away from him. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be a jealous dollophead." He apologised, getting up from his desk as Merlyn giggled, and wrapping his arms around her pressing his forehead against hers. "I wish I didn't have to treat you like you weren't my friend and the woman I love." Arthur complained.

***

An hour later after Merlyn had finished tidying and cleaning Arthur's chambers, she joined Gwaine in the Throne Room to clean the boots of the entire army. Something that Gwaine wasn't happy about.
"Arthur is a thoroughbred little braggart." Gwaine complained.
"Why?" Merlyn asked curiously.
"For making us do this. You have enough to do already, Merlyn. He loves you and yet he makes you do this!" Gwaine replied, viciously scrubbing at a boot.

"He can't exactly say that he does with Uther, and I think it's fair." Merlyn said.
"True but still." Gwaine complained. "But for the entire army?" He asked incredulously, pointing to the very long line of muddy boots.
"If you admitted your father was a Knight, you wouldn't have to." Merlyn said.
"I'd never let you do all this by yourself, even if they may have let me off. And I'm not making the same mistakes that he did." Gwaine said, as he roughly scrubbed at a different boot. "Anyway, my father treated his servants well."
"You didn't know him. Or did you lie to me last night, Gwaine?" Merlyn teased.

"Well, I like to think that he did." Gwaine corrected, smiling at her. "What about your father?" He asked, wanting to know more than what he learned last night though he hoped he didn't upset her.
"He didn't have servants, or anyone really. He never got to see my mother again. I had promised him I'd take him back to Ealdor so he could see her, but...it was never meant to be. I just wish that I had the chance to know him better. There's so much he could've taught me, that he wanted to. All that I know I've had to learn on my own or from the bits that Gaius knew." Merlyn said sadly, letting out a deep sigh as she hinted at magic. Feeling bad for bringing it up, especially after last night, Gwaine pulled Merlyn into a hug.

Which admittedly made them both feel better.
"But at least you got to meet him and you told me, he said he was proud of you, and you have the dragon he made you, and in the power you share." Gwaine said as he kissed the top of her head in a sibling way. 
"Yeah. I know your father would be proud of you too, Gwaine." Merlyn insisted but Gwaine didn't answer.
"If there's one thing that I learned from my father's life, it is that titles don't mean anything. It's what's inside that counts." Gwaine said, as he tapped her knee with the brush.
"Ow." Merlyn complained, rubbing her knee before flicking him on the forehead making them both laugh. It felt good to bond more with each other and spend time with each other. It felt like Merlyn had found a big brother she's always wanted in Gwaine and Gwaine had found a little sister in her.

***

Out in the Training Field Arthur, who was still rather annoyed, was beating the dummy rather viciously. He was annoyed at his old friend Sir Oswald. Merlyn had told him of all he'd made her do the other day and it honestly made his blood boil that someone could treat such a kind soul like Merlyn in such a way. Overlooking how they first met with an ironclad resolve as he beat the dummy mercilessly, if only he could declare how he felt for Merlyn, but he shuddered at what his father would do if he did.
"You look like you need a bit of practice." 'Sir Oswald' said, pulling Arthur from his thoughts.
'Speak of the devil.' Arthur thought annoyed before he schooled his features.
"Ah, you think so?" Arthur asked.
"I know so." 'Sir Oswald' stated, holding his hand out to Merlyn, (who had just joined them after bringing the polished swords from the armoury once she'd finished cleaning all of the boots).

She quickly handed over a sword without her usual comments, as the two Knights made her uneasy. As soon as he had the sword 'Sir Oswald' attacked Arthur and a fierce battle -then normal for training - ensued.
"You're rusty." Arthur commented. "You're not as quick as you used to be." 
"Still quick enough to hit you." 'Sir Oswald' exclaimed rather annoyedly.
"I thought you were left-handed." Arthur said, confused.
"Yes I am." 'Sir Oswald' said quickly, as he switched hands. Pointing out -to Merlyn at least- that something was wrong. "I just wanted to give you a chance." He continued. "Why don't we make this more interesting?" He asked, when Arthur's sword stopped his blow again. "Fifty gold coins first clean hit."

"Make it a hundred." Arthur countered as they fought again, only for Arthur to end up winning. "You can keep your money." Arthur told him. Feeling humiliated as people applauded their Prince, Sir Oswald threw his sword down in a huff and spat on the ground. Now that Arthur was finally finished with training for today, Merlyn went around picking up the weapons and putting them away. When she heard something that greatly unsettled her as she picked up the sword Sir Oswald had used.
"...blade I'll fillet the little brat." Sir Oswald spat. She didn't have to think too hard to know they were talking about Arthur. That's all anyone new to Camelot wants to do: kill Arthur or Uther or both. Thanks to Arthur giving her work from the two Knights; she had to polish Sir Oswald's armour and put it away as well as Arthur's.

She was just bringing Sir Oswald's polished armour back to his chambers when she noticed the plates hadn't been cleaned up. Sighing she sat his armour on the chest at the foot of his bed, and started tidying the table. But as she picked up the cloth containing two seemingly blunt swords, one of the swords sticking out just a smidge, she sliced her finger on the edge of one.
"Aha!" Merlyn gasped, pulling back her hand and seeing her bloody finger.
"What're you doing girl?" 'Sir Oswald' growled.
"I'm just tidying the table." Merlyn replied.
"Keep away from things that don't concern you." 'Sir Oswald snapped. Wincing Merlyn picked up the plates and hurried out of the chambers, making a stop at the kitchens before she went back to her chambers.

"To the eye the swords appeared blunt, but when my finger touched it..." Merlyn said, as she finished explaining what happened to a worried Gwaine and Gaius who was treating and wrapping her finger. She could have done it herself but it was her dominant hand she just had to injure.
"You were lucky." Gwaine fretted, from where he sat besides her. His arm behind her resting on the table. "I've seen those blades in action. They're forged with sorcery."
"What would they want with such a blade?" Gaius asked, troubled.
"I think they mean to kill Arthur in the Mele." Merlyn said, as she explained what she saw on the Training Field. 
"But in front of all those people?" Gaius questioned unsure.
"It's the perfect cover." Gwaine realised. "If they succeed, nobody will suspect it was intentional."

"I need to warn Arthur." Merlyn said, about to stand from her seat but Gaius stopped her.
"Merlyn, I know you and Arthur have feelings for each other and he believes you but I'm afraid that won't be enough to convince anyone but us and Arthur. Sir Oswald's a Knight. He comes from a well-respected family. You can't accuse him without proof." Gaius said firmly. Sometimes he worried for her. She was so desperate to protect Arthur, even before she loved him, that she never really stopped to think about what could happen to her or if she did, she didn't care as long as Arthur lived.
"Then we need that blade." Merlyn said.
"I'll get it." Gwaine decided, not wanting Merlyn near them, he saw the way they looked at her and he didn't like it.
"What if they catch you?" Merlin asked worriedly. "What reason would you have to be in Sir Oswald's chamber? No, it's safer if I do it." She said.

Later that night when Merlyn was sure he'd be asleep she snuck into Sir Oswald's chamber. As she entered she noticed the swords were no longer on the table and, she suspected they were most likely in the chest they made her lug all over the room. Seeing Sir Oswald asleep in the bed, Merlyn silently crept over to the trunk, wincing when it creaked as she opened it. However, just as she was picking up one of the swords she heard a ringing coming from the crystal hanging around his neck. Maybe she should've ignored it, took the sword and left.

But she's been in Camelot long enough to know that that ringing sound never meant anything good, especially when someone was trying to kill Arthur. Like these two who were trying to kill her idiotic Prince. When the crystal suddenly glowed she'd made up her mind. Creeping slowly towards the bed she peered at the crystal spotting the face of the thug who'd stabbed Gwaine from within. As she was lifting her hand Sir Oswald awoke unnoticed by her until he grabbed her arm.

In Gaius' chambers, Gwaine was pacing up and down like a caged animal while Gaius, as always, was trying to read up on the swords to distract himself.
"Merlyn should be back by now." Gwaine exclaimed.
"I know." Gaius sighed, worried for the girl he saw as a daughter.
"I'm gonna go see what's going on." Gwaine decided, no longer able to take the waiting.
"Gwaine." Gaius called, but Gwaine didn't listen as he had a horrible gut feeling that something was wrong and he only hoped he was wrong. As he arrived in the corridor near Sir Oswald's rooms he could hear a commotion from within all the way from where he stood at the other end of the corridor. Hurrying his steps to help Merlyn, but what he heard next made him freeze where he stood and for a red, hot fiery anger to grip him so tightly he was all consumed by it.

"My mistake, she's not the thief and whore I thought she was. But just in case. Why don't we teach her a lesson, Sir Oswald?" 'Sir Ethan' suggested.
"You're absolutely right, Sir Ethan." 'Sir Oswald' agreed. That made Gwaine unfreeze as he barged into the room.
"Is there a problem here?" Gwaine asked, but his eyes were dark with anger as he trained them on the girl he saw as a little sister. She'd been backing away from Sir Oswald, and her appearance made the fire burn even brighter within Gwaine and he was struggling to hold in his temper. Merlyn had a cut on her lip and left cheek that were bleeding, she looked like she may have a black eye come morning, and her dress that Gwaine knew was a gift from her mother was torn in two places at the top. Upon seeing Gwaine, Merlyn relaxed slightly, feeling a tad safer now.

"No. Now, leave." 'Sir Oswald' demanded.
"Are you alright, Merlyn?" Gwaine asked, even though he knew she wasn't, he walked towards her picking up a cloth to clean her wounds.
"No." Merlyn whispered softly to Gwaine, the light in her eyes was dimmer and she had tears in her eyes.
"I thought I told you to leave." 'Sir Oswald' demanded once more.
"I wasn't talking to you." Gwaine snapped, he so wanted to teach these thugs a lesson but his main priority was getting Merlyn out of there.
"How dare you speak to a Knight like that!" 'Sir Ethan' raged, as he unsheathed his sword, Gwaine doing the same.

As the two fought Gwaine quickly gained the upper hand and disarmed Sir Ethan and knocked him to the ground when Sir Oswald went to attack him from behind.
"Gwaine!" Merlyn shouted, causing Gwaine to turn around just in time to parry the attack.
"Don't worry. I can handle this thug." Gwaine assured, as the two fought all over the room. Merlyn had to move out of the way a couple of times, but she made sure to keep all three men within her sights. She wouldn't be surprised if one of them tried to run her or Gwaine through from behind. And she was proven right when Sir Ethan tried to attack Gwaine again, only to fail once more. A moment after Gwaine had knocked Sir Ethan to the floor with an elbow to the face and disarmed Sir Oswald, Sir Leon and two other Knights entered the room.

"What's going on?" Sir Leon asked angrily, especially when he saw Merlyn trembling slightly and the state of her. He knew the man before him was her friend, but he was confused at what had transpired and didn't like what his brain was putting together. Unfortunately Sir Leon's and the others' appearance had distracted Gwaine and he was backhanded to the floor by Sir Oswald.
"This man attacked me." 'Sir Oswald' exclaimed. "I demand an audience with the King!"
"Merlyn what happened to you!?" Gaius said aghast, seeing the state his Ward was in as he quickly wrapped a blanket around her shoulders to cover her ripped dress as they made their way to the Council Chambers.

"It's not Sir Oswald." Merlyn said ignoring Gaius' question. "It's that thug from the Tavern, Dagger. He's using a magical crystal to change his appearance." Merlyn explained, as she watched helplessly as Gwaine was brought in bound in chains.
"Sire, this man attacked me with a sword, tried to kill me." 'Sir Oswald' lied.
"Is this true?" Uther demanded of Gwaine.
"I stepped in to protect Merlyn. She's like a little sister to me, and they attacked her, and tried to force themselves on her." Gwaine bit out through clenched teeth, as everyone took in the beaten form of Arthur's servant who had a blanket wrapped around her shoulders covering her dress and was shaking slightly.

Like Gwaine, Arthur along with Sir Leon felt anger bubbling inside of them as they looked at their dear friend who was like a little sister to Sir Leon and the woman he loved in Arthur's case. They were one of the ones close to her that could notice her eyes didn't shine like they usually do and that made the anger grow even more. While Gaius was almost apoplectic with anger at what had happened to his Ward.
"I tried to talk to him. He was like a possessed man." 'Sir Oswald' said before anything could be said. "I'm sure Sir Ethan will back me up." He continued, as Gwaine glared daggers at the pair.
"Indeed, I can vouch for his every word." 'Sir Ethan' agreed. That was too much for Gwaine. His anger boiled over once more as he leapt to his feet.
"He's a liar!" Gwaine shouted, as the guards restrained him but he fought against them.

"I will have your tongue!" Uther shouted. "How dare you speak to a Knight in that way!"
"Nobility is defined by what you do and not by who you are." Gwaine replied, as he sent a scathing look to the thugs and one to Uther. "And these men are anything but. They are arrogant thugs. And I will not let them get away with what they did to Merlyn! Look at her! She was doing her job and they attacked her!"
"Gwaine." Arthur called trying to calm him down, even though his own anger was at its boiling point but guilt was also warring within him.
"Well, you see, Sire, how he behaves." 'Sir Oswald' said condescendingly.

"I have heard enough." Uther said fed up. "For a commoner to attack a Nobel man is in violation of the Knights Code." Seeing the thugs were most likely to call for his death - because that's who they are - Gwaine spoke before anyone else could.
"True. If I were a commoner." Gwaine said. "But I'm not. I'm Gwaine, son of Sir Dwayne. He was a Knight in Caerleon's army." Gwaine said, shocking all but Merlyn into silence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 76 15
"In a land of myth and a time of magic, the future of a great kingdom rests on the shoulders of a powerful man. His name...MERLIN." ☆☆☆☆☆☆ Destiny is...
82.5K 3K 21
Freya lives the attack, only just. But when she dies giving birth, Merlin's Son is born just before the Tears of Uther Pendragon, what will Merlin do...
10.5K 268 39
Follow Alexandra on her journey in Camelot along with her brother, the great wizard, Merlin. Everyone has a destiny, so what is hers? With powers so...
545K 15.6K 129
When Merlin ventured back to Ealdor to help fight off Kanen, he returned to Camelot with someone else, his little sister, Miriam. With a fiery perso...