Rehearsals With You ✓

By stirthestars

April Stewart and Grey Collins have been at each other's throat since eighth grade. Putting them within reach... More

INTRODUCTION
Prologue
Chapter One: You *bleep*!
Chapter Two: Jinxed it
Chapter Three: Everywhere!
Chapter Four: Dad Jokes
Chapter Five: Hearts, Flowers and Butterflies
Chapter Six: Ouch. Watch it.
Chapter Seven: Named April
Chapter Eight: Haircut
Chapter Nine: Antsy Pantsy
Chapter Ten: Can he walk?
Chapter Eleven: Uncomfortable
Chapter Twelve: Chrisanta and Armand
Chapter Thirteen: Mondays
Chapter Fourteen: Dark. Cold. Alone.
Chapter Fifteen: 'Tis just a hobby.
Chapter Sixteen: God-gift?
Chapter Seventeen: Totes not worth it.
Chapter Eighteen: Coals or Clouds
Chapter Nineteen: France
Chapter Twenty-One: Friends For
Chapter Twenty-Two: Wildfire
Chapter Twenty-Three: Little Miss Important
Chapter Twenty-Four: We Weren't
Chapter Twenty-Five: Bookworm
Chapter Twenty-Six: Invited
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Random
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Your Story
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Predictable and Unforseen
Chapter Thirty: Weren't Meant To
Chapter Thirty-One: May I?
Chapter Thirty-Two: Little Shorter
Chapter Thirty-Three: I'll try.
Chapter Thirty-Four: A Poet
Chapter Thirty-Five: His Story
Chapter Thirty-Six: The Plan
Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Play
Epilogue
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
NEW BOOK

Chapter Twenty: Your Grace

3.3K 144 78
By stirthestars

"I don't need these silly dresses to dictate how suitable I am for marriage and whatnot. In fact, I don't need a marriage at all." I read, putting in the accent, tone and pace I thought suited the setting and emotion. "I am my own woman," I declared. "Besides, they make me itch. Would you scratch that part of my back, dear?"

Diana gave a soft smile, getting into character as Hazel. "Of course."

"Ugh, balls with the fancy, pretentious pleasantries people give each other. If mother hadn't threatened to marry - more like sell-" I uttered in distaste "-me to some wealthy, old grandpa, I wouldn't have come at all."

"I think your mother just wants you to find a guy that would make you happy."

I deadpanned at her. "I know you don't actually think that, Hazel."

Diana shrugged. "Well, I was trying to make you feel better. Did it work?" She smiled sheepishly.

"No," I answered truthfully. "Though thanks for trying. We both know mother all too well to think she'd care about what I want. She'll be happy to find me a suitor who'll be able to make us richer than we already are and elevate our status." I sighed in defeat and Diana patted my shoulders.

"Come on now, Miss. We don't want those fine gentlemen waiting for your fair beauty now, wouldn't we?" I chuckled and Diana acted as if we were leaving.

A week of rehearsals has passed. We were mostly going with our own improvisations but every now and then Ms. Wilde would insert some comments to change some things. When there was something she felt off, she told us what it was and gave us some advices how to do it better. We had read the entire script all together but so far, we've only finished a few acts, and they weren't even polished yet. Aside from that, Mrs. Wilde and Kira made sure that aside from the actors, the prop and costumes team, the musical team and the technical team were doing their work and are prepared. 

It was the first time the school produced a play the students themselves wrote. Mrs. Wilde said she had a hard time convincing the higher-ups but they managed to do it. It gathered quite the expectations from students, some very curious even ones tried to sneak up during rehearsals. The school play was always anticipated by the the student body at the annual High School Day but more people seem to be interested in watching it this year.

Grey and I, surprisingly, tried to be as professional as possible when we were on stage, though I wouldn't say that's the case when we were off it. We would fight about small things and would insult each other's acting once our scene was done. And I'm still wary of him, he hasn't made his move but every now and then he would hint at it.

I stood in front of Grey as he pretended to watch the extras move around on their own accord. We were at the ball, and he, Armand, and I, Chrisanta, have just been newly introduced. 

"Your Grace, Duke of Welstone," Xandra and I curtsied. She was a blonde girl like me and she played Lady Delia, my mother. 

"Lady Delia," Grey acknowledged. Oh, I'm sure he's internally enjoying all this scripted respect and superiority, I thought. "You're enjoying the ball, I presume?"

"It's quite lovely and dazzingly glamorous, Your Grace," she answered while I just stood there, playing the part of an indifferent woman who would rather be anywhere else but there.

Grey, as his character dictated, noticed me. "I see you have company. Would you be so kind and introduce this fair beauty to myself, Lady Delia?" Oh, I'm sure saying that killed him a little inside.

"Yes," Xandra said eagerly. "It's an honor to introduce to His Grace my darling daughter, Lady Chrisanta," Xandra presented, giving me little push at the back.

I smiled the smile of a daughter who couldn't believe how ambitious her mother could be to hope a duke would notice her. "Your Grace." I bobbed. "It's an honor."

The rest went on until the part where Armand and Chrisanta danced together. One of his hand was placed lightly on my waist while the other held my hand as we moved along the music. Our character and in extension, us, engaged in a small talk while Chrisanta did her best to be polite and respectful of Armand's title, trying not to show she wanted to be anywhere else.

I was just starting to feel awkward with the closeness and eye-contacts, even when I tried to look away and even if my character have to look elsewhere, my own gaze couldn't look away. His eyes were stormy grey and I couldn't help but feel drawn. My skin tingled at where we touch. It was like, it was like . . . we were having, having a moment. My eyes widened at my own thoughts and Grey subtly raised an eyebrow at my action. The supposed song changed and Grey and I were thankfully about to pull away when all of a sudden, the lights went off. In my surprise, I released a yelp and clutched Grey's hand tightly, moving instinctively a little closer to him. The others groaned and squealed as well but mine was the loudest. I wasn't .  . .  scared, the sudden absence of light just startled me. I was surprised when Grey squeezed my hand back. 

"April?" Triss' worried voice rang.

"I- I'm fine," I answered. It wasn't a lie, knowing I wasn't alone subdued the fear. I sense Grey's gaze on me, though I'm sure he couldn't see me.

"S-sorry!" Someone shouted apologetically and told his excuse. The lights went back and I quickly stepped away from Grey. We released each other and stood there.

~•~

Triss and I were at the cafe after rehearsals, slouching on our seats as we sipped on our drink. It was almost empty, there was a couple at the far corner and one guy who was busy typing on his laptop. The workers were chatting, sitting and resting while Mom was somewhere in the kitchen.

"How's your knee?" 

I drank before answering. "It's fine. It's not hurting as much anymore."

There was a silence, both of us were lost in our own thoughts. I was replaying the rehearsals. The way we danced, the way our hands fitted comfortably and how I react at his touch. I shivered. Out of revulsion, of course. I dread to think just how things will go when the time comes our lips would touch for the play. I still had hopes Mrs. Wilde would cut that one off but it's pretty slim.

"Do you want to video call Liam?" 

"Yeah, let's do that," I agreed and Triss pulled out her phone. We waited for Liam to answer and when his face, along side Abby's, we uttered a weak hello. The couple looked as if they were in Liam's place, in the living room

"What's with you two?" Liam asked.

I grunted, Triss sighed. "Just tired."

"Then why don't you go home and rest?"

"Because then we have to do our homework," Triss explained and Liam rolled his eyes. The red-head beside him smiled brightly.

"Hi, you two!"

"Hi, Abby. I see Liam hasn't made you run away with his jokes yet," I joked. 

The girl laughed. "Yeah, it comes with the package. Gotta love all of him."

Triss and I glanced at each other smiling and we saw Liam's ears turn a little red. "Oooh, looks like someone finally found his the one." I teased and Liam groaned in reply.

"Shut up," he said before he beamed. "Speaking of jokes–"

"Eehhh." That was Triss.

A tut. Moi

A sigh which I honestly couldn't tell wether it said my-boyfriend-and-his-adorable-quirks or my-boyfriend-and-the-jokes-I-have-to-bear sigh. Knowing Abby, probably the former.

Liam ignored our reactions. "Why couldn't the bicycle stand up by itself?" Liam waited but no one responded. Abby patted his back in fake pity, Liam continued anyway. "It was two tired! Ha!"

Liam guffawed. Yep, guffawed. Laughed so hard that soon enough we were joining him on it.

~°~

Author's Note: [Please Read]

I thought about putting understudies for the play's characters but decided against it. Since they don't really go to some exclusive theater school or a very high-profile school at that, I'm not gonna include some for the lot of you who's wondering about it. I don't think our school had understudies when they did a play so I'mma gonna follow that.

And a tinsy warning: I'm really a fan of slow-burn romance (we're talking about real slow-burn here), and I'm also putting everything I would want to find in a teen romance in this book and some of you might find it rather underwhelming(?) or something so I'm warning in advance but if you like the book so far, I'm guessing it won't be too hard to love the rest.

At least, I hope.

I am mostly writing just what I want, where I plan and want it to go or what just comes to me on the spot and I'm not sure if I can make readers stick around with that so . . . just saying? Add also the fact that I started this book because I simply wanted to write a story that can make people laugh (I hope I did that) because I sure ain't funny in real life so I don't know, I'm aware I can't make everyone love this book but here's to hoping!

A BIG ANYWAY! 👇

Don't forget to vote and comment! o((*^▽^*))o

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17M 652K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
7.3K 142 12
Hello Stroopwafel Army :) New book, new problems. Welcome to my new creation. The difference to my other books is, that here the uploads will be unre...
3.3M 80.6K 141
Soon to be Published under GSM Darlene isn't a typical high school student. She always gets in trouble in her previous School in her grandmother's pr...
473K 14.9K 50
Bloomwood Preparatory is a prestigious boarding school in London. To get in, you must be incredibly talented or incredibly rich- preferably both. And...