Hawthornmoon: The Great Star

Finally, we have arrived to Khonsu's gift. If you haven't already guessed, my little one, it is the Great Star itself. But what happens to the cats who decide to follow the star, and see where it leads?
Well, one paladin did, and it lead to quite the meaningful experience...

***

"Are you sure we should be hunting this late?" Bluebreeze asked, yawning slightly. "It's really late. I don't want to keep Lakefeather waiting too long,"

"I know," Hawthornmoon replied. "But I need help with my gift for Oasispaw. Her favourite prey is lizard, and with a strong hunter like you I bet we'll catch one in no time,"

Bluebreeze sighed, and padded beside his friend. "Fine, fine. But if we're out too long, I'll have to leave you here. I want to get some sleep too, you know,"

That was the least of Hawthornmoon's worries. The bengal cat wanted to spoil his daughter, who was only a young lotus, as much as she could. They had lost Prickthorn, Oasispaw's mother, only a few moons ago.

I'll make sure she has the best Night of the Great Star ever, he promised to himself. It won't make up for Prickthorn's death, but maybe it can remind her that she has cats who still care about her in the tribe... and me...

Taking in a deep breath, Hawthornmoon caught whiff of a scent trail. "Smell that," he motioned to the scent with tail to Bluebreeze.

The large grey tomcat sniffed. "A lizard already?" He questioned, looking uncertain.

"You may be going back to sleep sooner than you think," Hawthornmoon crouched. He kept low, following the trail to a small cluster of shrubs. His eyes widened as he swore he saw a small tail flick amongst the shrubs. A lizard!

Feeling excited, Hawthornmoon instinctively raced towards the shrubs. Some sand flew up behind him as he approached. A tiny head poked up, and immediately disappeared as it ran across the sand.

He ran after the lizard, his aquamarine eyes focused on his target. But despite his speed and skill, the lizard managed to escape further into the desert.

"Cougar dung!" He swore as he watched the lizard. Bluebreeze caught up with his friend, leaning into his body. "You gonna be okay, Hawthornmoon?" He asked, concerned.

The bengal cat unsheathed his claws. "We have to find one!" He snapped. "I don't want to sleep until we catch a lizard!"

Bluebreeze backed away slightly. "Are you sure?" He questioned. "Moon high is approaching. If we don't get back to camp, you might not wake up in time to give Oasispaw her gift,"

Oasispaw. His daughter's name rang in his head. But I can't disappoint her, no matter what...

Hawthornmoon looked up to the sky, his eyes pleading. Are you up there in Duat, Prickthorn? He wondered. Can you help me?

Something in the sky caught his attention. A star? Hawthornmoon wondered. The star seemed bigger than the others, and shone far more brightly.

Bluebreeze seemed to have noticed it to. "Is that the Great Star?" He whispered in awe.

 "Is that the Great Star?" He whispered in awe

"Must be," the bengal figured. "I've never seen it so bright before..."

Bluebreeze's ear twitched. "I wonder what would happen if we followed it,"

Hawthornmoon glanced at his friend. "Are you crazy? Who knows how far it would take us?"

"You never know unless you try!" The large paladin called, running ahead to follow the star.

Hawthornmoon rolled his eyes. They didn't have time for this! They had to find a lizard, and soon.

...but there was something about the star that drew Hawthornmoon's attention. A vague instinct made him want to run towards it, and not stop. Sighing in defeat, he ran after Bluebreeze, knowing he didn't have much of a choice in the moment.

***

"We've been following it for ages!" Hawthornmoon hollered to Bluebreeze. "Are you really sure something's gonna happen? The most that's happened so far is me tiring my paws,"

Bluebreeze looked around. The two of them had been following the Great Star for a while now, and there were no signs of anything special occurring.

"Uhh..." Bluebreeze hesitated, his ears flat. "...Hawthornmoon?"

"What?" Hawthornmoon asked, sounding exhausted.

A purr filled the paladin's ears. "Oh my stars, is that my lovely moon?"

Hawthornmoon was filled with disbelief. This can't be right...

But it was.

Prickthorn's shimmering spirit stood in front of him, tall and proud. Her violet eyes twinkled with joy as she looked down at her mate. "Hello, beloved," she mewled, smiling.

Hawthornmoon had no words. This was real. Prickthorn was standing in front of him. There was only one thing he could say in that moment.

"I-I'm sorry for not being there to save you in time," he choked out.

Prickthorn tilted her head. "There was nothing you could've done. I was destined to die on the night of that fire. I came down here to thank you for looking after Oasispaw," she informed him.

Hawthornmoon's aquamarine eyes glittered with emotion. "Really?"

"Of course!" Prickthorn insisted. "Even now, with you going hunting to find the specific prey she likes for The Night of the Great Star shows me just how passionate you are about her. It proves to me that you were always the right tomcat for me all along,"

Hawthornmoon was speechless. Quietly, he approached his deceased mate, and nuzzled her. "Can't you stay?" He croaked. "Oasispaw would be so happy to see you,"

There was a hidden sadness in Prickthorn's eyes. "You know that's not how that works, as much as I'd like to," she murmured in his ear. "But I'll watch over her, you, and any other kits you might have, and keep them as safe for as long as my spirit exists,"

Her whispers were soft as she faded from sight. "As long as you live, Hawthornmoon, I will always stand by your side,"

Hawthornmoon stared at the space where his dead mate once stood. She's gone, he thought drearily.

Bluebreeze's eyes were wide with shock. "Did that really happen?" He burst out, confused.

A sudden sharp scent filled the bengal's nose. Looking down, he saw a freshly killed lizard at his paws. That wasn't his or Bluebreeze's claw marks upon its flesh.

"I think it did," Hawthornmoon mewed happily. Everything had worked out.

Tomorrow he would please Oasispaw with a gift from her own mother, and everything would be okay.

***