eighteen. mother's love

Mateo waited for his mom or Helena to pick him up from his crib

Mateo waited for his mom or Helena to pick him up from his crib. He had an idea of the routine they had. Each morning, Eviana or Helena would wake him up from his sleep, change him and take him down to the kitchen so he could eat some breakfast. He waited for either woman to appear, but they never did. He grew confused when he saw the face of Judy Moncada looking down at him.

Judy looked at Mateo with confusion. She didn't think Pacho would still allow his sister to be living in his house. Mateo started at Judy. He was just as confused as she was. "What? Your mommy never talks about me?" She asked the baby. Mateo just continued to stare. "Huh, from what I've heard, you have your dad's eyes." She touched the baby's little hand.

Mateo squealed at the touch and waved his other hand at the woman. Judy cracked a small smile and grabbed the boy from the crib. Mateo didn't protest, giggling as Judy swayed him in her arms. Judy exited the nursery and wandered around the house, waiting for Pacho or Gilberto. Mateo grabbed Judy's necklaces and played with them while she criticized the art work in Pacho's house. "What do you think? Scary or not?" Judy asked the boy.

Mateo didn't pay attention to the woman as he kept tugging at her necklaces. "It's horrendous." She admitted, looking away from the painting. She heard a helicopter approach the house. That must be Gilberto, she thought. She went back to Mateo's nursery and put the boy back in his crib.

She went outside to see Pacho, Navegante and Eviana waiting for the helicopter to land. She approached the trio and smiled at the mom, who was confused as to why she was here. Navegante ran up to the helicopter after it landed and slid open the door for Gilberto and Miguel Rodriguez. Eviana couldn't remember when was the last time she saw all four godfathers together. She missed Chepe dearly and hoped that he would visit them more often.

"What a lovely surprise. To what do we owe the pleasure?" Gilberto smiled at Judy.

Judy smiled back. "Business." She simply replied.

As Gilberto and Judy walked away, Pacho and Eviana stayed behind to greet the other brother. Eviana greeted Miguel with a smile and left Pacho and Miguel to do their talking while she nudged Navegante's side. The duo kept nudging each other until they reached the house. Eviana knew that the three godfathers would go straight to business sp she excused herself and went back to her son's room.

Helena had been given the day off to care for her own daughter, Rocio. Eviana's had met the ten year old girl countless of times, she had even given Rocio money and gifts every year for her birthday and Christmas.

"Mateo! Time for food my little beautiful boy!" Eviana giggled, entering the room and walking to the crib where Mateo had been waiting for her. He reached for her and babbled. "Are you hungry? I have some fruit for you. Then we can play with your toys and go outside to see the pretty horses."

Mateo liked the sound of that. He loved going outside and getting the chance to oet the horses. Pacho already bought him his own horse. Eviana wasn't going to allow Mateo to ride the horse until he was at least twenty five. It was the motherly thing to say, said Pacho. But that didn't mean Mateo could pet the horse.

After Mateo ate his breakfast, Eviana took him to his playroom that right across from Pacho's room. For some reason, Pacho wanted the room across from his to be Mateo's playroom. It was big. One wall painted with chalkboard paint so Mateo could draw on. It currently had a drawing of two stick figures, a male and female, and a smaller one, a boy.

Eviana set Mateo down on the colored carpet and sat beside him, giving him a few toys to play with. Mateo smashed toy cars against each other while his mom grabbed a toy soldier and tried to play with him, but Mateo kept running over the soldier with the cars. "That wasn't very nice." Eviana pouted. Mateo looked up at his mom and put his hand on her mouth. "Uh oh, mommy's going to eat it!" She pressed kisses on his tiny hand which made Mateo giggle.

"Miss Herrera, you have a call." A maid interrupted the mother and son. The maid gave Eviana the phone.

"Could you watch him while I take this?" She asked the maid, who politely accepted. "Thank you." Eviana walked out of the playroom and into Pacho's room. "Hello?"

She heard no response for a few seconds until she heard the sweet voice of Steve. "Evi?"

Eviana tensed up. "Steve?