fifty two. home

Eviana flipped the page to her cookbook. She read over the ingredients several times just to make sure she had everything. It was almost time for the kids to get home so she decided to start making dinner. Steve usually made it back an hour after the kids did so it was perfect time to start.

The woman played soft music in the background as she started chopping vegetables, something she started doing to help relax and also she just liked music in general. Just as she was about to wash the cilantro the landline rang.

She wiped her hands on a wash cloth and walked to the ringing phone. "Murphy residence." She said.

"Hey darlin', how's your amazing food coming?" Steve asked.

"I just started. I'm thinking of making obleas for dessert or a quick tres leches cake."

Steve smiled as he listened. Whenever his wife was in the kitchen making her delicious food, he noticed how happy she looked. Making food was a comfort to her and having the honor of tasting it was something Steve was happy about. "Both sound nice, Ev."

"Make the cake!" Eviana heard Javi yell. "Please!"

Eviana laughed. "Fine, tell Javi I'll make him the cake. We can save the obleas for next time."

"Okay. He thanks you a ton. I was just calling to say that I'll be home a little late. These college kids are really into crime," Steve spoke. "I'm sorry, babe."

"It's fine. Just don't stay out too late. And no drinking before dinner! Once you drink, you won't eat." Eviana warned her husband.

"I won't, promise. That only happened once and I regret it. I'll see you soon, love you bye." Steve said.

"I love you, don't be late," Eviana said before she ended the call. After she hanged the phone on the hook, she received another phone call which angered her since she wanted to get back to her cooking. "Yes?" She answered.

"Hi, little sister." Pacho said.

All of a sudden, Eviana's anger was gone. "Pacho! How are you? Oh my god, are you okay?"

"I'm okay, better actually. How's my niece and nephew?" He asked.

"They're okay too. Flora is eager to meet you," Eviana replied. "When can I come visit? I miss you."

Pacho was still in jail and he didn't want his sister to see him behind bars. Even though the Cali cartel was done, some respect among the prisoners and Pacho was still present. He hadn't met his niece and he desperately wanted to hug Mateo. But he waited patiently everyday for that chance.

"Evi, you can't come back. We'll see each other soon. Have you seen Alvaro?" The ex-drug lord asked.

Alvaro Herrera hadn't stepped foot in the Murphy house since Christmas 2007. That specific Christmas wasn't talked about. Occasionally Steve would bring it up just to tell Evi that Alvaro was a bad influence on the kids, but Eviana didn't listen. She just wanted to protect her little brother. Eviana didn't know where her brother was exactly. She would ask around, but they all said the same thing, they didn't know where he was.

"No, and I'm afraid, Pacho. He hasn't called. I feel like a bad sister. What if something terrible happened to him?" Eviana ran a hand through her hair. Suddenly the music wasn't helping at all.

"He's fine, he's Alvaro. He's probably in Malta with girls partying. You remember how he always wanted to go to Malta?" Pacho laughed.

"I do. I just hope he's okay. I really want him and Steve to talk it out. They hate each other. I don't want my family fighting."

"They'll come around, I'm sure. What are you doing? Cooking?" Pacho questioned.

"Yeah. Steve is bringing Javi over. I'm making one of mom's recipes, I found her old cookbook." Eviana grinned.

"Maybe i can help. Steve said it best, us Herrera's know our way around the kitchen."

Pacho's words made Eviana confused. "Help? With what? Shouting through the phone just to tell me I'm doing everything wrong even though you can't see or smell it?"

"I mean I'm outside so let me in you jerk."