sixty. would've could've should've

"Can you tell your mom something for me?" Miguel Ángel asked his son. It was getting late and he had a feeling that any second a guard was going to take Mateo away from him.

"Yeah." Mateo nodded.

"Tell her that she was the best thing that ever happened to me. You and her. And maybe in another life, we could've been happy."

"I think she knows that already." Mateo replied. He kinda wished that were true, but then if his mom and dad were together, he wouldn't have Flora. Things had a funny way of happening.

"I'm sure she does, but I just wanted to remind her that she's a very special person. My special person. You are too, don't ever forget that, Mateo." Miguel smiled at his son.

"I won't."

"Good, because there's going to be alot of people that'll bring you down. You're a Felix Gallardo and an Herrera. You're my boy. Promise me that you won't end up here. Promise me that you'll go to the best school, study what you want, graduate, be better than me. I don't want this life for you."

His father's words were enough for the teen boy to get up and hug his father. His dying father teared up as Mateo hug him a bit longer than usual.

"I promise. I promise I'll do everything you say. I promise I'll look after mom. She's probably going to nail my bedroom door shut now." Mateo laughed.

"That Eviana will do that. If it's okay with you, I'd like to call her after you leave. I'll explain everything, I'll tell her it was me that convinced you to come here. Makes you less guilty, right?"

"I came here, I'll explain. But you can still call her. Don't know if she'll pick up though. It's worth a try."

"Yeah, maybe." Miguel mumbled. Then a guard unlocked the steel door and entered. This was their sign to say their goodbyes.

"Goodbye, dad." Mateo said in a whisper like tone.

"Goodbye, son." Miguel pulled his son into one last hug. He hugged the boy like his life depended on it. One last hug for his son.

"Gallardo, times up!" The guard shouted.

"You need to go now. Please." Miguel said as the guard forced Miguel to let go of Mateo and put handcuffs on him. The guard then practically dragged Miguel Ángel towards the door.

"Agent Murphy is here for you." Another guard told Mateo.

"Where's agent Breslin?" Mateo asked, but the guard ignored him and directed Mateo to the door where him and Miguel separated, one going to the right while Mateo and the guard went to the left towards the main exit.

"Keep walking, kid. He's gone." The guard pushed Mateo forward.

"I know." Mateo sighed.

After checking out, Mateo was now being guided outside where he saw Walt, Steve and Javi. He wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone other than his mom. Even if Eviana knew, he was going to tell her everything that Miguel had told him.

"Mateo." Steve walked up to the teen, but he walked right past the blonde man.

"That was cold." Javi mumbled as Mateo got into the back of Steve's truck without saying a single word.

"Give him time, kids are difficult." Walt replied.

"You have one daughter and suddenly you know everything," Javier joked as the three men got in the truck. "I'm still driving." Javi warned Steve.

After dropping off Walt and apologizing to his wife another fifty times, Javi and Steve were on their way back home to Florida with a still silent Mateo in the back. By morning, they had arrived to their home. As soon as Mateo saw his house, he got off the truck and walked to the front door before Steve or Javi could say anything. Mateo opened the door and the first thing he saw was his tired mom sitting in the living room with a cup of coffee in her hands.