thirty two. special day

Walt drove the mom and son to the prison where Miguel was being held

Walt drove the mom and son to the prison where Miguel was being held. They didn't talk at all, the only noises coming from Mateo, who was making his own version of car sounds. Walt looked back at the young child through the rearview mirror. Eviana noticed the staring and stiffened.

"Relax, I'm not kidnapping you. Just looking at your kid. He's cute. Looks like his good ol' dad. Eyes especially." Walt said.

Eviana glared at him. "Why did you pick us up? I want to know the real reason."

Walt kept his eyes on the road. "Look, I didn't want to be here, but look at me! Being the bus driver for a literal criminal."

Eviana felt hurt. She never did anything wrong in her life. She knew it, Pacho knew it, Steve knew it, Miguel did too. Mostly everyone around her were involved in the world of crime, but she was far from it.

"I'm not a criminal. Now tell me why you picked us up or I'll do something that will actually make me a criminal." She stated.

"Jesus, take a joke. All right, Miguel wanted me to take you. Specifically asked for me. I don't know why so please stop with the threats, I already have my wife threatening me back home." Walt said annoyed. The mention of his wife made Eviana back off.

She sat back in her seat. "So you did marry her after all."

Believe it or not, Eviana had met Walt's now wife. When the two women met, she was just Walt's girlfriend. Her name being Felicity. She was nice woman, too nice to end up with a man like Walt Breslin. It was a surprise that Felicity Montgomery was now Felicity Breslin.

"I'm not here to talk marriage counseling with you. I'm here to take you to him and I'm sure he won't appreciate me giving you an attitude." Walt said. They were getting closer to the prison. Closer to Miguel.

"You always gave me attitude. I'm just returning." She responded, holding Mateo's hand on her lap.

Finally the view of an old looking prison was seen. Eviana was growing nervous by the second. She was finally going to meet Miguel with their son for the first time. She remembered all her pasts visits where he looked tired all the time. The dark circles under his eyes present at all times, his hair was sticking out. He looked rough.

Walt slowly approached the gate of the prison, taking out his credentials. He showed them to the guard, who looked at the backseats then back at Walt before nodding. That was easy, thought Eviana, let's hope it stays like that.

"I'm taking you and the kid to that door right there," He pointed to a steel gray door that had a guard beside it. "I can't go any further. Try to ignore the prisoners banging on the doors, they're loud so take care of the kid. It might be scary for him, but he's meeting his dad. That's the important part." He parked the car.

Walt was actually being nice for once. Deep down he wanted Mateo to meet his dad no matter what. Eviana's lips formed into a smile directed at him.

"Thank you, Walt. Thank you so much." She took of her and Mateo's seatbelts. She brought Mateo into her arms, pressing a kiss on his forehead.

"Just doing my job, Herrera." He replied. "Come on, you don't want to be late for the most special day of your sons life."

He opened the car door for her then shut it after she got out. Eviana held Mateo close to her, hoping it wasn't going to be a scary experience for the boy. Walt and Eviana walked up to the gray steel door, stopping when the guard asked what was their business.

"Visit for Miguel Ángel Felix Gallardo. Special visit." Walt got out a folded up piece of paper from his back pocket, showing it to the guard.

The guard took one look at the paper and let them through. As Walt had said, this was as far se he could go. He stepped inside with Eviana, but went to the side to speak with her. "I'll take your bags to a nice hotel half an hour from here. I'm going to be picking you up, they'll give you access to a phone so just call this number and I'll be on my way."

"Wait, they're not giving me a time limit?" She asked confused.

Walt shook his head. "Your DEA agent pulled some strings and hooked you up with the biggest visit of your life."

Eviana was grateful for Steve Murphy more than ever. She wished he was beside her so she could give him a bone crushing hug.

"That's why blondie isn't here. He kept showing up at the American embassy in Mexico City demanding to talk to the ambassador. He wouldn't give up on getting you this visit." Walt explained. "He's a good man. You're a lucky woman."

She didn't think too much of Walt's words. "I really appreciate this, Walt."

Walt just looked down at Mateo, who was wondering where he was. Walt reached into his jacket pocket, taking out a small fox pendant made out of wood. He crouched down to Mateo's height and held it out for the boy to take. "Hey, buddy. It might be scary in there so I brought something for you to hold on if you feel scared. My wife made it. She's very talented. She made it for me, but I'm giving it to you. Think you can take care of it?"

Mateo took the pendant into his tiny hands, nodding at Walt.

The older man stood back up. "Be careful. Take care of yourself and the kid."

Eviana grinned. "Who knew Walt Breslin had a soft spot?"

"I won't come back for you, only the kid." He joked. "Go, he's waiting for you and the kid." He watched Eviana grab her son's hand and slowly walk down the hallway filled with guards. He kept his eyes on them until they were led into another hallway. Now, it was time for him to leave.

Eviana was scared and nervous. She saw many men look at her with a face of disgust. She ignored them and continued walking.

She got to the hallway where a few prisoners were being held. She let go of Mateo's hand and decided to take him into her arms instead. Whistling, that was directed at her, was the only thing she heard. Then came the banging on the doors, yelling. Mateo whimpered, burying his head in his mom's neck.

"It's okay, my beautiful boy. We're going to meet dad soon." She whispered in his ear to calm him.

The mom and son got away from all the loud noises as a guard took then to an empty part of the prison. Inside Walker several empty tables making it look like a cafeteria room. She put Mateo down and looked around, wondering how long it would take for Miguel to arrive.

"Mateo, stay close." She warned the boy, who did as he was told. She turned to the door where a guard was doing his job of guarding the door. "Where is he?"

"Ma'am, it's better if you take a seat. It won't be long." The guard simply said.

Eviana slowly nodded. She led Mateo to an empty table in the middle of the room, sitting him next to her. This was it. Mateo would finally meet his dad. It was a big moment. She kept looking at the clock on the wall, but it didn't help her nerves. Mateo played with the pendant Walt had given him to pass time.

It felt like an eternity waiting for him. She resisted biting her nails. Pacho always told her she would bite her finger so much that blood would eventually come out. And it did. Sometimes she would bite her nails so much that the only way for her not to do it was wrap a bandaid around it.

"Mommy?" Mateo spoke, trying to get her attention.

"Baby, he'll be here soon, okay? We have to wait." Eviana kept looking down at her shaky hands. She didn't notice someone else had entered the giant room, but Mateo did.

Mateo pulled at her shirt, desperately wanting her to listen to him. "Mommy! Look." He pointed behind her.

Eviana didn't understand what Mateo was trying to tell her so she looked in the direction he was pointing in. And there he was. Miguel Ángel Felix Gallardo standing feet away from his son and used to be lover. It felt as if they were the only people on planet earth and nothing would come between them.

Miguel couldn't take his eyes off of them for one second. He didn't want to. He finally smiled for the first time in years. He smiled at the sight of his son.