Blind (2)

Vilkas was woken the next morning by the sound of slamming doors and a loud, happy "WHOOOOO!!!" bellowed through the whole mead hall... "SHE SAID YES!!!" he heard Farkas yelling from upstairs.
Then he heard Farkas running down the stairs and into living quarters... "SHE SAID YES," excitedly repeated several times.
Then Farkas threw open his door with a gleeful laugh. "Vilkas! Get up! We've gotta pack! We're goin' to Riften, I'm gettin' married!"
Farkas dragged Vilkas out of bed and spun him around in a bear hug.
"Ysmir's beard, brother, put me down!" Vilkas complained irritably.
"Sorry," Farkas grinned, "I just can't believe it, she said she's just been waitin' for me all these years..."
Vilkas felt like he'd been kicked in the stomach at that... he really had been blind to it all.
"I'm happy for you," Vilkas nodded with a forced smile.
Farkas obviously thought his lack of enthusiasm was because he'd just woken and clapped him heartily on the shoulder. "Get dressed!" Farkas laughed, "it's nearly lunch! We're leavin' tomorrow!"
"Aye," Vilkas agreed with another forced smile, "congratulations, brother."
"Thanks," Farkas gave him another hug before hurrying back out and across the hall to his own room to pack.
Vilkas flopped back on his bed, staring at the ceiling with a painful feeling settling in his chest. He supposed there was nothing to do now but try to get over Belle and try to be genuinely happy for them... maybe it was good that he'd only just realized his feelings now that it was too late... if she'd told Farkas she'd just been waiting for him all these years... Vilkas would have just made things awkward if he'd tried to court her and been turned down.

He was still in his room trying to come to terms with everything as he tossed some of his nicer clothes into his gear bag, when a gentle knock pulled his attention to the door.
Belle smiled her beautiful little smile up at him... there was a red mountain flower in her hair today...
"So I'm guessing you heard the news?" She smiled.
"Kind of hard to miss, I think the souls in Sovengarde heard," Vilkas replied evenly. He smiled a little too in spite of himself, Belle's beautiful face smiling into his room like that made it difficult not to smile back at her... which made him feel even worse. At least he could hide his misery as he got over her...
"Probably," she giggled, "it was cute how excited he got when I agreed."
Vilkas swallowed the lump in his throat.
"As if I'd've said no," she added with a smirk, "I've seen this coming for years, I'm glad he finally got an amulet."
Vilkas felt like he'd been kicked again... "aye," he nodded with a forced smile, "I'm glad too."
She raised an eyebrow at him at that...
"You're coming, right?" She asked hopefully, "to Riften I mean...?"
"Shouldn't someone stay here to take care of things?" He protested. He'd suddenly been struck with the realization that he didn't think he could handle watching his love marry someone else...
"Well, yeah, but I've already talked to Aela about that," she smirked, "you can't miss your own twin's wedding!"
Vilkas sighed... he recognized that smirk... the one that told him she wasn't going to be arguing over this... and she knew he couldn't tell her no... she'd been giving him that look since they were children.
"Alright, if Aela doesn't mind," he shrugged.
"Of course she doesn't, as long as we don't take too long to get back..." Belle laughed, "now hurry up and pack, Tilma's cooking a venison stew to celebrate, and I might need you to help me plan things at dinner!" She winked at him. "Of course," Vilkas nodded with another forced smile before she disappeared back out his door.
Vilkas sat back down on the side of his bed. Ysmir, what was he going to do? Why couldn't he have just never realized he loved her? Why couldn't he have just stayed blind?

Vilkas finished packing and grudgingly dragged himself upstairs. He tried not to look too sulky as he ate dinner, but he apparently failed spectacularly at that.
He still had half his bowl of stew when Belle dropped into the bench beside him.
"You ok?" She asked with raised eyebrows.
"Of course, never better," Vilkas lied with a forced smile.
Belle just looked at him skeptically. "Really? 'Cause I don't think I've seen you look this down since Kodlak..."
"I... was... just thinking... how much he'd have loved to see this," Vilkas shook his head and then gave Belle a sad smile.
"He would have," she nodded, "I'm sure he's celebrating over it in Sovengarde. You did say the souls in Sovengarde probably heard Farkas this morning."
"Aye," Vilkas chuckled, "I'm sure he is."
"Hey," she said suddenly, nudging him with her elbow, "I've got to go pick some flowers for tomorrow. Come with me?"
"Shouldn't you take Farkas?" Vilkas replied in surprise.
"You know how bored he gets on collection trips," she rolled her eyes, "besides, we can't have him seeing all the flowers before the wedding."
"Alright then," Vilkas sighed defeatedly, "lead the way."