Good Advice (2)

It was a few days later, Zara and Farkas were heading back to Jorrvaskr after successfully killing several vampires and retrieving an old sword for some rich family who probably didn't know how to use it. Lydia had just bid them both a good night before heading back inside Breezehome.

Zara was starting to get just a little frustrated with the two of them. She'd been trying not to meddle and just let the two of them sort things out for themselves... but for the last three days absolutely nothing had happened... they were obviously both interested, and neither one was making any moves... Zara had even left them alone at a few points, and still nothing had happened.

She was starting to wonder if they thought they weren't allowed to flirt or something... did they think Lydia's status as a housecarl meant they couldn't court and marry? Obviously Zara wouldn't prevent them, but she realized they might not know that...

She decided she was going to have to meddle.

Zara looked up at Farkas as they headed up the street toward Jorrvaskr, he was smiling dreamily and looking off into the sky, looking lost in happy thoughts...

"You know," she began in a teasing tone, "you are allowed to flirt with my housecarl, I'm not going forbid you or anything..."

Farkas almost tripped on his own feet and looked suddenly down at her with wide startled eyes...

"Wh-what?" He mumbled, his cheeks turning a shade darker.

Zara suppressed a giggle and elbowed him gently. "Come on. You like Lydia, don't you?"

"I, uh... yeah..." Farkas said slowly, scratching the back of his neck sheepishly.

"So," Zara smiled, "why don't you tell her that?"

"I... uh... I d'know... not sure how to tell her..."

"Flirt with her," Zara suggested with a shrug.

Farkas just looked down at Zara, blinking a few times.

"I... um... how do I do that?" Farkas mumbled.

Zara stopped in her tracks. "How do you do what? Flirt?"

"Yeah...?"

"Hold on..." Zara shook her head in disbelief, "you don't know how to flirt?"

"No," Farkas grumbled flatly in obvious embarrassment.

"How?" Zara shook her head again, "how does one of the two sexiest men in Whiterun not know how to flirt?"

Farkas raised an eyebrow at her at that. "Didn't exactly have time for it growin' up," he shrugged.

"You grew up in a mead hall," Zara exclaimed.

"Yeah, the Companions' mead hall," Farkas retorted, "we were raised with 'glory in battle, honor in life,' an' all that..."

"Yeah... but... you were teenagers once..." Zara continued in disbelief, "you never even tried to go to the tavern and pick up women when you were teenagers?"

"Kodlak would've cracked our skulls," Farkas shook his head.

"Holy shit... and I thought I had an uneventful love-life," Zara shook her head as she clapped a hand to her forehead. No wonder he hadn't made any moves on Lydia yet...

"So how do I do it then?" Farkas asked quietly.

Zara looked up at him in surprise, he was just looking back at her hopefully now...

"I... I mean... I don't know," she stammered, "kiss her and tell her she's pretty?"

Farkas just raised an eyebrow at her in skeptical disbelief. "You don't know either, do you?"

"I mean... that was what the men did with the barmaids when I was a kid..." Zara shrugged, her face turning red as well.

"Would that work on you if my brother tried it?"

"What?!"

Farkas was the one giving her the teasing grin now.

"D-don't change the subject!" She attempted to sound scolding, but she could feel her cheeks flushing, "I... I'll turn around and go tell Lydia to join us for dinner! You can tell her how much you like her!"

Zara wasn't sure if she was making a threat or a friendly suggestion at this point, but either way, the distraction didn't work.

"And you can go make Vilkas's night," Farkas smirked.

"How... how am I supposed to do that?" Zara asked, blushing more.

"I d'know, sit in his lap an' kiss him?" Farkas shrugged.

"Farkas!" Zara gasped in shock. "Is that what you're wishing Lydia would do?" She asked once she regained her composure.

"It'd be nice," he nodded with a smirk.

"I should suggest it to her," Zara grumbled.

To her annoyance Farkas chuckled.

"Alright, I'll give some suggestions to my brother."

Zara huffed grumpily. "Not sure it would matter what you suggested to him," she grumbled, "he's been irritated with me for weeks now."

Farkas grinned. "Yeah, 'cause you keep takin' me on jobs an' not him."

"Wait... what?" Zara blinked... that was why Vilkas was upset with her?

"He thinks you like me better than him," Farkas shrugged with a smirk.

"S-so he's... jealous?"

"Mmhmm," Farkas nodded.

She couldn't believe it... Vilkas was actually interested in her? That couldn't be right... they were just friends... he never flirted or made a move on her...

"I... he... but... he's never..." Zara stammered and Farkas laughed harder.

"He's got the same problem I do," he shrugged, "he doesn't know how. You'd make his night if you sat in his lap an' kissed him."

For a moment Zara could only blink, feeling at a loss for words. "I'm going to get Lydia," she declared finally before she turned and ran back to Breezehome, leaving Farkas standing alone in the market, laughing.