Part seventeen: Ponyboy

Having the love of my life back in my arms felt like a relief bigger than I could begin to explain. His smell and himself in general calmed me down. Nothing else mattered in this moment, just us. We stayed here for some time, I could tell the feeling of relief and happiness was mutual, Johnny wasn't mad, and I was so thankful for that.

"Pony.." He said backing away still gripping my hands.

"Yes? What is it?" I hurried to say.

"January, she-"

"Soda warned me about her. I didn't think it could be true." I cut him off.

"What happened?" I looked at him with concern.

"I think- I think she.... drugged me." He stuttered.

My eyes grew and my eyebrows sank in utter disbelief. This didn't sit right with me. I mean, after everything the three of us had been through, how could she? Jesus.

"We need to get out of here." I demanded, turning towards Veronica.

"And January?" She stopped me.

"Ronnie, I'll explain later okay? But we can't go back for her." I held her hands.

"I have to, how could I leave without her?" She cried.

I just shook my head, "Please." I begged.

Next thing, she dropped my hands and sped off, looking back.

"Sorry."

I looked at Johnny with shock. 

"Tell me everything J." I shook.

"People were over, for a party and she handed me a cup and another, after that, I got my own but I think she put something in the first two." He looked at the ground.

I lifted his chin and held his arms.

"I'm so sorry. I believe you." I hugged him tightly once again.

"Thank you." He whispered.

I took him gently by the hand and pulled him as we began walking to the next bus stop. The other bus had left. Johnny didn't loosen his grip at all during the walk, I can tell he was still a little shaken, I gripped back. 

"Johnny baby, you're shaking." I observed whilst taking my jacket off and wrapping it around his delicate shoulders. He looked at me with his big puppy eyes.

"Wh-what about you?" He was still shaking.

"I'm fine, don't you worry about me." I smiled, tucking his bangs away.

Right now, my only priorities were making Johnny feel safe and good, and getting us home.

It was around eleven o'clock at night.

When we finally reached the stop, the bus was there, we quickly jumped on without second thought. Except, I did worry about Ronnie, she was so quickly willing to help me find Johnny that I never thought about helping her find January. But then again, January purposely drugged my boyfriend, and for that I could never forgive her. I felt guilty, but there's no going back. I headed for the back of the bus once again realizing Johnny was still shaking and looked sad. I looked at him as we sat in the corner seats. He leaned his body onto mine and quickly fell into a slumber, I tried to relax as I played with his hair. The ride was long, and painful to me, I had been on a bus all day, but I would do it a million times over just for Johnny. I felt so content having him right here, just us against the quiet night, but something was still bothering me, I don't know what it could possibly be, I've got everything I need right in front of me. I pondered for multiple hours, Johnny still asleep. I tried to stay awake for the remainder of the trip, just to be safe. We were almost there and for the first time since I ran away from Johnny that day, I didn't feel the need to hurry, to have to be in one certain place at a certain time, Free, almost.

I saw a familiar sight out the window, we were finally home. It was long and tiring and I was so ready to just sleep and have Johnny in reach of me. 

"Baby wake up." I shook Johnny lightly.

"Huh," He groaned, lifting his head slowly.

"We're here! Home!" I exclaimed.

He jumped up grabbing his bag, then my hand, smiling as big as ever. His smile could light up a whole room, anyone who saw it would immediately smile back.

And of course his infectious smile spread to my face in an instant. We ran out of the bus in a flash, we watched as the driver left and Johnny grabbed my face, turning me towards him and kissing me, but I could feel him smiling underneath my lips. He pulled back and began to run in a certain direction.

"You think this time you're gonna beat me?" I said catching up in laughter.

He didn't say anything, just laughed and ran. It's cute that he thinks his small body is faster than mine.

I sped past him with no time, and when he caught up, he jumped onto my back slowing my pace but I just kept going. This felt like a scene in a movie, we were headed to our tree. Though it was well past sunset, we just wanted to be together, no bus driver, no one else, except us and mother nature. Nothing can keep us apart now.