part twenty seven : Ponyboy

I tried my best to make January feel safe throughout the night. Before we were allowed to see her, we had been in the waiting room for at least two hours or so. They examined her to see if any real bad damage was done, so far cuts, bruises and sprains. Pretty incredible considering she was the only one that survived between both vehicles. The person driving the truck that hit them was an older guy, he was intoxicated and came down the road the wrong direction, not seeing the bus, he hit it. It was bad too, the whole front half was crushed along with the back windows. The two other passengers on the bus were sitting near the front on the driver's side, one died from an overwhelming amount of blood loss, the other from severe head trauma. I overhead doctors and cops talking. People have done the most to try to get to Jan and ask her questions. One reporter pretended to be her aunt to get in and bombard her with questions. And that's why the cops are here, they're only letting me, Johnny and Darry in, not Soda because he wasn't there the first time. The crash happened just outside of Tulsa, maybe ten minutes out.

Jan and I had been talking about what we were going to do to honour Veronica, remember her life. They had taken her body to the morgue for further inspection, they left her father in charge of what happens but Jan was persistant on having a say in what happens.

"Do you think she would have wanted a funeral?" I brought up lightly. It was just me and Jan in the room.

"I think she would have wanted what ever was easiest for everyone, I'm sure." She stared down at her hospital band.

I nodded, not really knowing how to respond. I waiting a minute before saying anything else.

"I should go find Johnny." I gradually stood up.

She just smiled, nothing else.

I started towards the door, when I opened it I saw Johnny wasn't on the nearby bench. I looked in both directions. Nothing. So, I went back to the waiting room. Soda was awake for the first time in hours. He jogged up to me.

"How is she? They won't let me see her.." He sounded anxious.

"She's good, yeah." I assured him.

"Have you seen Johnny?" I followed up.

He suspiciously looked back at Darry, as if something had happened, Darry returned the look.

"What... is going on?" I crossed my arms.

Soda glanced over my head, looking at something behind me. It was Johnny.

"Johnny can we talk to you for a second?" Darry stood up.

I was even more confused.

"What? About what? Johnny what is going on?" I turned to him.

He ignored me and went the other way with Darry and Soda. I stood there in utter bewilderment. 

-Johnny-

Darry and Soda asked to talk to me away from Ponyboy, maybe it was about what I saw.

"I know.. you saw what I saw." Darry started.

I sighed and looked down.

"I told Soda. We want to help you talk to Ponyboy about it." He offered.

At first I didn't say anything, I just moved my hair from my face, waiting for them to add on.

"I don't know what's going on with him." Soda said breaking the silence.

They looked at me, expecting me to say something.

"When you guys first found out... about me and Ponyboy, you weren't happy with me, or supportive.. what changed?" I expressed my main thought.

They paused and looked at one another.

"We know you Johnny, and we know how much you care for him. We also know it's not fair of him to do this to you." Soda said before Darry had the chance.

I wasn't expecting that, I had always thought that they held a grudge against me for being with Pony.

"Thanks." I managed to say, attempting to hold back my smile.

Darry nodded his head, Soda just hugged me. I looked back to see Ponyboy still standing there, he looked both concerned and dazed. I breathed in, then began to saunter toward him. He did the same, but at a faster pace. 

"Is everything okay?" He gripped my shoulders.

I couldn't look him in the eyes, it was usually easy for me, but not this time. I didn't know what to say, if I should tell him what we know or not. Then suddenly, I didn't have to say anything.

"Don't." Darry interrupted, glaring at him.

I felt him go uneasy. He let go of me.

"Don't.. what?" Pony backed away.

"Don't do this to Johnny, don't pretend to still love him when we know how you feel about January." Darry crossed his arms firmly.

Pony looked as if he had just seen a ghost. He frantically looked over at me and before he could say anything else, I did.

"Darry. It's okay." I said trying to lighten things.

"No Johnny, Pony may be my kid brother, but I also consider you family. I won't allow you to get hurt like this." I had never heard Darry talk to me like this, to anyone. 

I was shocked, but also scared for the next words to come out of Ponyboy's mouth.

"I-it's not like that!" He rushed to explain.

"Then what is it like?" Darry stepped closer to him. 

He struggled to find words, he kept looking around the room, stepping back every step Darry took towards him.

"I could never love anyone the way I love Johnny.." He muttered under his breath. 

Darry scoffed, then looked at me, everyone was expecting me to talk now.

I couldn't take Darry giving him shit any longer, I grasped Pony's arm and dragged him to the other end of the hallway and into the washroom I had been in earlier. I stopped, he looked distraught. 

"I-" He started.

I Interrupted him with a kiss. Right then, I let go of all the anger and bemusement I had from before and just let him have me. I was so scared of losing him, I held onto him. After everything, I would hope he feels the same. I pulled back.

"It meant nothing to me, with January. I was just- unsure.. how to comfort her." He started.

"After what you brought up, about Veronica, I was sure she felt lonely, and needy. I'm sorry Johnnycake, I love you, only you." He ranted.

I grasped his shaky hand, lifting it to my lips and planted a kiss. 

"I knew you would never leave me." I whispered into it.

He tugged me in and hugged me. It felt reputable knowing I had all of him again.