Better not to anger him.

<><><><><><>

"Right on time, kitten," Jaehyun welcomed as I entered the training room.

He was already on sitting on one of the weights machines. From the beads of sweat that dripped down his jaw on onto his white t-shirt, I could tell that he had already gotten in quite the workout. I wondered how long he had been there for.

I didn't want to ignore him, but I didn't want to exactly engage with him in conversation either, so I gave him, my best "fuck you" smile and set my water bottle down on the mat.

"What? No greeting? Not even any pleasantries?" Jaehyun asked as he stood up from the machine using one of the gym's towels to wipe his red tinted face.

I silently scoffed, smiling at his audacity.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Hello Jaehyun! How are you? Still holding women captive and forcing them to be your bride? Oh, you are? Well, isn't that just swell?"

I expected Jaehyun to snap at me for such insolence, or to at least look a little upset, but he just smiled back at me and laughed.

"That's funny," He said wagging his finger at me.

"Just remember, who it is that's gonna be your trainer for the next hour."

I froze, biting my tongue. He was right. I shouldn't push my luck too much. I had no idea why Jaehyun was in such a good mood this morning, but I knew it was in my best interest for it to stay that way. At least until after our little competition.

Like a beaten dog who's grown to know when their master's mood changed, I noticed a sudden glint of disappointment in his eyes as they trailed over my body almost in search of something he just couldn't find.

Once he noticed my noticing, he exhaled abruptly as though he were expelling his thoughts along with his breath.

"Let's start by going over yesterday's match."

I stared at him silently, not sure whether he was going to elaborate further.

Jaehyun looked away briefly before breaking the silence by clearing his throat.

"I am of course, referring to the tactic you used..."

I continued to stare at him not quite sure where he was going. He stared back as though gauging my reactions.

"-or am I just assuming that your decision to storm me was a strategical one?"

"Does it matter? It didn't work." I responded.

Jaehyun relaxed a little.

"Ah. So, it was thought out."

I silently sighed to myself, ready for him to explain why my strategy was flawed and how my impulsiveness is what led to my defeat. I even started thinking of how I would respond. I'd probably ask him how else I was supposed to fight against someone much stronger than myself, or if there even was such a tactic. I could feel the words bubble up my throat as I waited to hear what kind of criticisms, he was about to list.

"You surprised me. That's not something that happens very often. You should be proud."

"Wait, what?" I blurted out.

Jaehyun's eyes widened slightly only for them to crinkle as he laughed.

"What? Were you expecting me to say something else?"

I reached my hand up to rub the back of my neck. Once Jaehyun understood that I wasn't going to give any more of a reply, he flashed me a smile that seemed too genuine to have come from a man so... not.