Best Friend

I woke up to the sun beaming through my window, something I wasn't used to since I had started early morning training with Jeno.

It still seemed pretty early though.

I rolled over to look at the clock but notice a note on the vanity table along with a glass of water instead.

I grabbed the water first, glad to have had something to drink as my head was pounding.

I picked up the note, sitting up against the bedframe to read it.

Y/N,

I talked to Jaehyun. He is sorry and you are free to move around the building unescorted. I asked Jeno to allow you the morning off from training.

-Taeyong

Memories of the day before came flooding back all at once. It really did feel like I was hungover, but not from drinking too much.

I had no idea how Taeyong managed to get Jaehyun to ease up on me, although he must have since I was now able to leave. I doubted that Jaehyun was actually sorry though. Taeyong probably added that in just to give me some sort of relief.

I heard noises in the hallway. It was a loud rustling noise. I got up from the bed to investigate. Creaking the door open slightly, I noticed that I really was unguarded. I peeked into the halls seeing nothing but closed doors.

My curiosity got the better of me causing me to follow the noise until I was standing in front of a closed door. I could hear two people talking, but not very clearly. It sounded like they were having an argument.

I pressed my ear to the door.

"I just don't get why it's such a big deal. It's not like we can act all lovey dovey around the other members," Said one of voices.

"That's not the problem. The problem is that you can't even tell them we're dating. It's like you ashamed of me or something," The other voiced whined.

My eyes widened in shock. Was is Jeno and Jaemin on the other side?

I focused on the voices. They both sounded familiar, but I couldn't place who they belonged to. Luckily, I didn't have to.

"Mark, I'm serious. If you can't open up about us to your friends, then we can't do this anymore."

Mark?

If that's Mark then who's-

The door opened causing me to stumble back and fall on the floor.

"Haechan, wait!"

I looked up see who had unintentionally knocked me over but was met with someone I would have never guessed.

"Donghyuck?"

"Y/N?"

"Haechan, what's-" Mark came out from behind him before looking down at me.

"Y/N?"

I looked up at Donghyuck.

"Haechan? Wait but you're Donghyuck."

"Donghyuck?" Mark quirked.

Haechan facepalmed.

"What the fuck is going on?" I demanded.

Mark looked at me, then back at Donghyuck then down at his hands that seemed to be working him through some sort of calculation.

"If you know Y/N, and she recognized you but called you Donghyuck instead of Haechan, then... oh."

<><><><><><><><><><><>

After our run-in upstairs, Donghyuck and Mark told me to wait outside their room while they called Taeyong. He had arrived shortly after and was ushered into the room with them. I stood there outside the room silently. I didn't even try to eavesdrop for I was worried I wouldn't like what they were saying. As soon as the door opened, Donghyuck practically lunged at me, grabbing my shoulders so I would face him.

"Holy fuck Y/N. What kind of trouble did you get yourself into?" he exclaimed before pulling me into his embrace.

The three of them brought me down to the kitchen where we ran into Jeno, Jaemin, Yuta, and Doyoung, who all seemed to be getting ready for breakfast. Taeyong sat me at the table with Mark and asked everyone else in the kitchen to step out for a moment so he could talk to them. I tried asking Mark what was going on and why Donghyuck was here and why he was calling him Haechan but he only told me that I would find out soon enough. After what was most definitely more than just a moment, everyone returned to the kitchen except Taeyong and Donghyuck. When I asked where they were, Yuta simply responded with, "They need to talk to the boss."

Jaemin and Jeno tried to lighten up the mood but to no avail. Jeno asked me how I was enjoying my day off from training while Jaemin set the table up for breakfast. Nobody spoke a word about the Haechan/Donghyuck situation or even mentioned the other elephant in the room. To be honest, I didn't know whether to be grateful not having to discuss the details regarding my recent engagement, or if it merely added to my anxieties.

Once the two of them finally returned, we had been eating, or more like absentmindedly playing with our breakfast for over 20 minutes.

As they sat down at the table, I noticed that Donghyuck's eyes were glued to me. He looked pained, like a boy watching his pet cat run into a busy highway, knowing he couldn't do anything to help the poor creature.

"Jaehyun is busy right now but he's been filled in and has given me instructions on how to handle the matter," Taeyong began.

I felt myself relax a little after hearing Taeyong's words. I felt relief knowing that I wouldn't have to deal with seeing Jaehyun on top of everything else that was going on.

"It's come to my attention that you and Hae-" Taeyong hesitated, not exactly knowing how to explain what he was trying to explain.

"that you and Haechan, or Donghyuck as you know him as, are already well acquainted with each other."

Taeyong paused waiting for my reaction but given that I was too confused to even know where to start, I stayed quiet.

"Maybe I should just let Haechan do the talking. He's been caught up on your situation, so he can catch you up on his."

Everyone at the table turned to Donghyuck while he continued to stare back at me.

A soft sigh left Donghyuck's mouth as he broke my gaze to look down at the table.

"Y/N, I'm a member of-"

"You're a member of NCT?!" I blurted out.

A small smile crept onto his face and a forced version of his laughter entered my ears.

"Surprise?"