'tis the damn season » holiday special

a/n: happy holidays everyone!  i just wanted to give you all a little something since we all got through this hell year. hope you're all healthy and happy and enjoy this little chapter :)

 hope you're all healthy and happy and enjoy this little chapter :)

         Selene was glad to be back.

         She hadn't been back home since the day of graduation. Carter and her parents had decided to come to her for Thanksgiving after Verona had told her that Declan had gotten Zoë pregnant and they decided to keep the fetus—it caused Selene to have a panic attack in her dorm room and Carter had deemed her a flight risk.

        She didn't miss much. Everything she did miss was a person; her family, her friends.

         The cold air blew through a small gap in her layers and sent a shiver down her spine as she ran up the steps to Carlos's house.

         Being here reminded her of earlier that year in March when she had met Declan here--she still couldn't believe that it hadn't been a full year since then. Between everything that happened in grade twelve and her starting her new life as a first-year university student, she felt like she had lived five years in this one year.

        Roman opened the door when she rang the doorbell.

         The house was nearly empty with music faintly playing from one of the upstairs rooms. Ruby had told her that they never liked parties anyway--it was always Declan's excuse to get drunk or to meet girls--so it made no sense for them to continue to host them.

          "Welcome back, Sel," he said, opening his arms in a hug.

          She had seen Roman often in the past few months. With Ruby as her roommate, Roman visited at least once a month, sleeping on the floor in between their beds.

           She stepped into his arms easily. "Is everyone here?" she asked as she released him.

         Roman nodded. "Carlos is out back smoking, Ruby's with Verona's shuffling Uno cards."

        She smiled. In the past few months, their group constantly played the phone version of Uno through messages. No matter how big the time difference was between them all, they always played a game once a week.

        "You going out back?" Roman asked her. He had a knowing smile on his face.

        "Who told you? Rue or Verona?"

       "Rona," he responded, "she can't keep secrets from me."

        Selene shook her head, glancing down the hallway she knew led to Carlos's backyard. "I should probably say hi to the girls first."

        "You live with Ruby and Verona picked you both up from the airport."

       "I don't like it when you're rational," she told him.