six » how to break up

Selene yawned as she sat at a table in the cafeteria.

The plan's been in effect for half a week and she's already tired. Her sleep schedule has been completely fucked with her still going to bed between midnight and one am and waking up around six am to get ready for school.

Though she looks great, she hopes it's easy to break Declan's heart so she can go back to sleeping in.

She pulled out her packed lunch—pressed juice, and pasta with salad. Zoë had just sent her a fifteen minute vine complication so she put on her wireless headphones and starts the video at full volume to hear above the loudness of the cafeteria as she started eating.

A hand slammed down on her table and she choked on her pasta momentarily, looking up to see Zoë, her lips moving rapidly.

Selene paused the compilation right before the funny one liner and takes off her headphones. "What?"

"You know what you fake ass bitch!"

Selene raised her eyebrows. She had expected a fight but nothing like this. She sat there stunned, the cafeteria watching their interaction—or Zoë's yelling more accurately—some with their phones out.

"I fucking trusted you and the first chance you get you want to take my fucking man!" She heard when she got over her shock.

Selene tilted her head, trying to look unbothered. "He's not your man, sweetie. If he was, he wouldn't be in my DMs."

The crowd around them reacted loudly and Selene tried to ignore them.

"If you're going to be mad at anyone be man at 'your man'," Selene said.

"Don't act like you're better than me like you weren't begging for my fucking friendship last week."

Selene shook her head. "Either swing or shut the fuck up, bitch. I'm honestly so fucking tired of dealing with your drama obsessed ass." Out of the corner of her eye, she could see a hall monitor making the way towards them.

"Swing first," Zoë retorted yelling now.

Selene got up, holding her bottle of pressed juice as a weapon. "Rock my fucking shit bitch, I'd be delighted to fuck you up."

"Okay!" A hall monitor stood in between them even though there was a good two feet between them and neither of them were actually making a move. "Back to your lunches everyone. You two; office."

Selene packed up her lunch and grabbed her bag, huffing.

She and Zoë were marched out of the caf like felons, the hall monitor keeping them separated and walking in between them so that they couldn't attack each other.

The hall monitor opened the door to the main office.

Selene and Zoë sat on opposite ends on the rows of chairs in the waiting room—which wasn't that far apart considering there was six chairs maximum in there—while the hall monitor called for the vice-principal.

Selene's phone buzzed and she looked down to see a message from Zoë, a black heart emoji next to her name and her contact photo a picture of them both. "The VP is going to make us explain and want us to talk it through for like an hour and then let us leave." Another text came through, "But this is how it's going to work: let me talk, agree with what I say and we'll get out of here in less than five minutes."

Selene stared at her phone for a moment before responding with a simple "If you say so."

It took a few minutes before the VP finally walked out of his office and called them both in.

They sat down on the other side of his desk.

"I've been told you caused a disruption during lunch," he stated, typing a bit on his computer before turning to them both. "What seems to be the problem?"

"You know, sir," Zoë started, "we've been talking it through while waiting for you and we've completely gotten over it."

He raised an eyebrow at them.

Zoë turned to her.

Selene nodded enthusiastically. "We're completely great. We solved it ourselves."

Zoë nodded. "We're practically best friends now."

"We're grade twelve now. Next year, we'll be going out into the world where we won't have people like you to help us with our problems, we have to learn to be mature and deal with them ourselves. You've taught us well."

Zoë shot her a look that let her know she was laying it on a bit too thick.

The bell rang and both girls stood. Their school only gave a two minute warning for class and there was no way they were going to make it on time.

"We have to get to class, sir," Zoë said. "Thank you for your help."

The vice-principal took out a pad of blue late slips and wrote one for them both before sending them on their way. Selene took the note even though she knew she had a spare

"Declan has AP Math on the third floor," Zoë said. "You have one minute."

"Fuck," Selene said, quickening her steps. "I wore heeled boots today."

"I've never heard you swear so much in an hour," Zoë commented before Selene ran off.

She ran up the staircase, one hand carefully on the railing to keep her to from falling down the stairs and snapping her neck.

People must have seen the determination in her eyes as they moved out of the way for her to run past.

She reached the math hall out of breath and tried to keep casual as she strutted past Declan.

"Selene!" he called.

She turned on her heel. "Sup?"

"I saw that shit in the caf, it was brutal," he said.

She rolled her eyes. "It was really stupid. I had to go to the VP and everything."

"Damn," he said. "That sucks."

She nodded and shrugged. "It's whatever."

The bell rang but Declan made no move to go inside of his classroom. "Hey do you want to go to a party? With me?"

"When?"

"Thursday night?"

She tried not to make a face. Who holds a party on a Thursday?

"I'll check my schedule," she said. "I have to get to class."

"See you around."

She smiled and turned around.