~ Chapter 1 ~

It was raining as usual. Since autumn had made his arrival, we've only had rainy days. There's hardly any sun to be seen.

I took my umbrella and went outside the university building. Students went home by bus or by car. However, I didn't. I don't have the money to go by bus. It'll cost me a lot. Besides I could barely pay my university fee.

I worked hard to enter the university. Sometimes my workdays would be around 20 hours. But hey, I won't complain. I'm greatful for this. At least I have the opportunity to get away from home. 

The atmosphere in our house is toxic. There's nothing but beating, yelling, cursing and so on.

"Leila?"
I turned around when I heard my name. It was my co-woker from the restaurant where I've been working for the past five months. He'd always walk with me, even though he could afford to go by bus or by car.

"Hey Dylan!"
"Leila, your eye... did he beat you up again?"
I shrugged my shoulders.

"I'm used to it you know. I'm so used to it that I don't even want to cover it up."
"Why don't you report this to the police?"
"Because I don't want to. His situation is already bad."

"I know, but look at you. Even an animal can't be treated like this."
I sighed. "I know Dylan, but he's my dad. I just can't report this to the police. He sees me already like a failure."

"Come on Leila, it's not your fault. They conceived you, you didn't ask them. You didn't choose them as your parents."

I smiled. He was right. I didn't ask to be born. I didn't ask to have them as my parents. But it's fate. If fate wants me to go through this, then be it so.

"Thank you Dylan for your care. Don't worry I'll survive." I said as I did this bodybuilder gesture with my arms.

He laughed. "You're weird. How are able to smile like this when you get beaten up by your father everyday?"

"I don't have an answer. As you mentioned, I'm weird."

We walked together for some more minutes afterwhich we splitted our ways.

I hope no one will be at home. But my wish didn't come true. As soon as I opened the frontdoor, I heard my dad calling me.

"Leila! Come here, now!"
"I'm coming!" The living room was a mess. There were beer bottles on the ground. It seemed like no one had ever cleaned it. But I did, I did clean it yesterday.

I always make sure that the house is clean before I go to bed. If I don't do it then I'll get beaten up.

"Yes dad?" He was, sitting on the couch with a bottle of beer in his hand.

"Why didn't you clean the living room?"
"I did dad. I did clean it before I went to sleep."

I knew where this was going. Why am I even trying to defend myself?

"No! You didn't! You didn't! You slut!"
And with that he slapped me right across the face. My cheeck felt stingy for a moment, but not for long. I guess my body got used to all the abuse through the years.

"I'm sorry dad, it won't happen again."
"See, see! You liar! You failure!" Again a slap.

"Go and clean this mesa before your mom and sister come home! I don't want them to see this. Now!"

My mom and my sister. I laughed bitterly. She is not my mom. She is my stepmother in the first place. Besides she only cares about her own daughter, whom she got with my dad. He married her shortly after my own mother passed away during a car accident. They were on their way to the hospital, because my mom was about to give birth to me.