Chapter 22: Never Trust a Lord

"Parry and pounce," Master Dao shouted. With Bone at her heels, the Warrior walked between the rows of students and beastlies, dead leaves crunching beneath her black boots. Each student held a sword and faced a straw orc with a broomstick. "When your swords are locked in combat, the last thing your enemy expects is for your beastly to pounce, which is exactly why I want you to do it."

Sadie looked down at Dylan, who was sitting uselessly on the ground. After failing to expel her, Master Dao would look for any excuse to punish and humiliate Sadie. And with Dylan, it wouldn't be hard. Pouncing was impossible—the blob couldn't even walk up a flight of stairs.

Sadie turned to Aubrey and whispered, "What am I going to do?"

"I don't know," Aubrey said anxiously. "Kaas are Healers, not Warriors."

Seeing her small monkey, Sadie realized Aubrey probably wouldn't fare much better.

Geoffrey swung his sword at the straw orc as his falcon dove through the air, then slashed the orc's neck with its talons.

Master Dao nodded in approval and walked over to Tim and Emily. Sadie watched as Tim struggled to pull his sword free from the earth. Emily tried to help him, but even the two of them couldn't get it unstuck before collapsing in exhaustion.

Master Dao sneered. "Tim, if you're going to spend so much time in libraries, it might do you some good to carry a few books now and then. That way, by the time you graduate, you might be able to pick up a sword." Dao yanked the sword free, then shoved it in Tim's hand. "All by yourself."

Unprompted, Nicolas Bilton swung his sword at the straw orc and shouted, "Devon, pounce!" The bull attacked the straw creature, bowling it over and spraying the ground with straw.

Nicolas smiled triumphantly, but Dao looked unimpressed.

"What?" Nicolas said. "If that dummy was real, it'd be dead. Or, at the very least, too broken to move."

Dao stared at Nicolas, saying nothing. Her hyena sat next to her, his eyes locked on the proud Bilton boy.

Suddenly, Bone leapt at Nicolas, hitting him square in the chest and knocking him to the ground with a thump. Bone hovered over Nicolas' face, baring his hideous fangs. Devon lowered his head, ready to strike, but Dao stopped the bull with a single outstretched palm.

"I caught Nicolas completely unprepared," Master Dao said to the class. "How?"

Bone retreated, and Nicolas sat up, dusting himself off.

"You spoke to your beastly without speaking," Geoffrey said.

"Correct," Master Dao said. "Your minds are now entwined. Use that to your advantage. And never tell your enemy what you're going to do next."

Sadie felt a flash of anger. She and Dylan weren't bonded; they had no psychic connection. Worse still, the creature couldn't speak. It was almost impossible to tell what it was thinking or feeling, if it even thought or felt at all.

Looking at Nicolas, Master Dao pointed to the straw-covered ground. "Clean it up."

Looking annoyed, Nicolas righted the orc, then picked up the bits of straw. Sadie doubted he ever had to do something as menial and degrading as clean up after himself.

She racked her brain, anxiously thinking of ways Dylan could attack the orc. She knew of some thorny plants which could draw blood, but none that pierced like a bull's horn or sliced like a talon. Besides, he could only move in his natural form. Once transformed, he was immobile.

Even more useless, Sadie thought.

"Now, before we continue, I have an announcement to make," said Master Dao. "Starting tomorrow, sign-up will be available for the Game of Thieves. All teams consist of five student-beastly pairs, at least two of which must be first or second-year students," Master Dao continued. "That means, although you're undeserving, some of you will still have a chance to play. You can approach team captains directly or sign your name to the Rogues List in the Hall of Heroes, where captains will be looking for new players."