Twenty-six

Orange was what filled the sky when morning came, and it was the bright sun that came shining through the window of Anne's room. Yet being the heavy sleeper she was, she didn't wake up. Thorin, on the other hand, did.

The Dwarf groaned quietly and as he opened his eyes, blinking and getting the spots out of his eyes. He took a deep breath and flipped on his back, exhaling slowly. He let his eyes linger to the side, and he smiled softly when he saw Anne's sleeping form. Her hair was in her face and she was snoring softly, still snuggled close to him.

Thorin was careful when he sat up, not wanting to wake her. He noticed that she had less nightmares now, and he was severely grateful for that. He took the sheets off of him, giving Anne a light kiss on the forehead and putting the remaining sheets on her shoulders. The Dwarf walked to the window, opening it and looking outside. The weather was nice, it wasn't overly hot and the snow was all melted. He could see people starting to swarm the streets, chattering away.

That's when he remembered that today was the day that he and the company were going to find the hidden door and reclaim Erebor... without Anne; or Kili, for that matter because of his leg.

Thorin sighed and walked away from the window, chuckling when he saw his tunic in that same corner where he threw it last night. Going into the closet, he opened the drawer and looked around. He frowned before picking out a red shirt with a brown vest with blue. He sat down on the bed and grabbed his boots, putting them on and lacing them. He sighed in contentment when he felt the sheets ruffle, then her arms wrapping around his middle from behind.

"Hi," she said quietly while resting her chin on his shoulder. Anne yawned and smirked. "I like you better with the shirt off, just being honest here."

Thorin chuckled and pat her hands. "Good morning to you, too, Anne," he greeted. "How did you sleep?"

"Good," she answered. "You were here, so I was good."

Thorin exhaled through his nose, his thumb brushing over her knuckles. "Same here," he admitted, just barely looking over his shoulder.

Anne sighed and closed her eyes, putting her head on his shoulder. "I don't what you to go," she whispered. "Not without me."

"I know," Thorin said quietly. "But please."

Anne sighed and moved so she was sitting in his lap again, resting her head on his. "Can you promise me that you'll be okay?"

Thorin chuckled. "Giving up on me so soon?"

Anne looked at him seriously. "Never," she said. "Only if you promise not to give up on me."

Thorin kissed her for a few seconds before pulling away and nodding. "I promise."

Anne beamed and got off of him, stretching and popping her back. "Good!" she chimed, grabbing her boots from the corner and putting them on. Thorin frowned. "What? I'm going to see you off."

He made a sound as he chuckled and stood, grabbing what seemed like armour attached to a velvet cloak on. Anne leaned on the wall, watching him. Thorin frowned again. "Is there something wrong, Princess?"

Anne shrugged, taking a few steps towards him. "No," she said, letting herself get wrapped up in Thorin's arms. She tapped his chest thoughtfully. "You just never cease to amaze me."

"Do I, now?" Thorin asked, a cheeky smiled plastered on his face as he raised an eyebrow.

Anne rolled her eyes. "Yes, Kingy." She tilted her head to the side. "One last lesson, just real quick. What does 'zâyunga zu' mean?"

Thorin pursed his lips, thinking about her question. He could tell her now, or he could wait.

He was going to wait.