Fifty-two

"What's the theme tonight?"

"Not masquerade," Dis said with a sigh. "I really like masquerade."

"Don't we all," Anne laughed, swinging her legs from the edge of her bed. "How many people are coming?"

"Us, your kin, my kin, and Bard's trusty subjects who are also known as the people of Dale," Dis answered, rummaging through the closet. "I think the theme tonight is called 'Black and White Ball'," Dis said. "I'm currently trying to find you a dress."

"How exciting," Anne commented. "What's Thorin wearing?"

"Well, Fili and Kili are wearing white, and they thought it would be good if Thorin wore white, too," Dis said. "Even though Kili wore white last night."

"Before he was dancing on tabletops, that is, and partly ruined it."

"Eh, just a few stains here and there."

"Nothing a little scrubbing can't fix."

"Exactly." Dis grinned. "Here. Black dress. Try it on."

Anne rolled her eyes and stood, grabbing the dress that Dis practically shoved into her hands as she jumped up and down with excitement. The Elf only chuckled at her friend and walked into the bathroom, Dis plopping on the bed.

A minute later, Anne stepped out. The dress was not entirely sleeveless because the straps were about four fingers wide, and it went down to about her kneecaps, a little longer if that. While the bottom was a little fluttery (especially when she twirled, which she did because Dis asked her to), the top part was a little simpler. The front part was covered with all black with a layered and cool looking designs, like the flame and swirls of dragon fire. Towards the back, the fabric was a little more see through but with that same dragon-like design, though that was at the shoulder blade areas to the hip because the middle part was covered. The designs cut off at the hip area, the bottom part plain.

"You. Look. Beautiful," Dis whispered, walking over and taking hold of her shoulders. She looked her up and down. "Your father would be so proud of you."

Tears welled up in Anne's eyes. "Thank you," she whispered.

Dis sighed shakily. "I just can't wait until... I just... " she trailed off and sighed.

Anne raised an eyebrow and asked, "Dis, what's wrong?"

The Dwarf only sighed and shook her head, forcing a smile. "Nothing, dear," she responded softly. "Just thinking, that's all."

"About nothing bad, I hope." Anne chuckled nervously.

"No, no, of course not," Dis said, letting Anne go. "It's just... the stories I've heard. About a young girl who lost her mother as a child who grew to be a warrior in her name, and then who grew to be a young Princess after the death of her father and the parting of her One about two hundred years later."

Anne frowned. "There... there are stories?"

"Of course!" Dis exclaimed. "You've grown very popular in the kingdom as of late."

"That doesn't frighten me," Anne mumbled, rubbing her shoulders.

Dis sighed. "Anne, tonight is a very... special night," she started slowly, the elleth giving her a look of confusion. "Your kin, my kin, and Bard's kin are all going to be here, and that means, you might get a lot more publicity than you're comfortable with."

"Wha—What do you mean?"

"I mean, be yourself," Dis answered. "If anything happens tonight, anything out of the ordinary, just stay yourself. Don't change for anyone. Stay honest, stay humble, and stay the mature woman you are."