Ten

Kayla woke up to the sound of tweeting coming from her room. Groaning, she stretched. The sun was shining brightly through her window, stinging her eyes. Thorin must have brought her back into her room after her little breakdown.

She blushed, imaging Thorin Oakenshield carrying her back to her room. She somewhat liked the idea, and it also creeped her out.

Valar, what did happen last night? She remembered having a terrible dream, running to the garden, seeing Thorin, sob, sleep, done. Looking at the ceiling, she saw that the vines that were in her room last night were gone. Go figure.

Reluctantly, she left the warm comfort of her bed and got changed, trying not to think about the day before.

Fifteen minutes later, Kayla stepped out of her room with her pencil and her journal. She had on a green shirt, blue pants, and her black boots. Her hair was the same way she had it the other day, her little curls at the bottom bobbing up and down.

Going to the building where she was yesterday, she looked around. It seemed to be empty, and it somewhat bothered Kayla.

But... it wasn't empty.

Smiling, she went up the stairs. The Hobbit was staring at a painting, marveling at it. He seemed to be a bit frightened by the picture, but also intrigued.

"The last alliance of Elves and Men," she explained, and the Hobbit jumped.

"Excuse me?" he squeaked.

She chuckled and walked over. "The painting," she said. "It was a glorious battle, to be honest. Many people died, but it was for a good cost. That... being."—a shudder—"is Sauron. He wielded the One Ring of Power, and, as the name implies, he was pretty powerful.

"But that man right there, the one with the broken sword, is Isildur. He cut off his hand with Narsil, the blade, thus destroying Sauron. But Isildur's heart and mind was corrupted, the same with all Men. He took the Ring for himself, but he was soon found and killed. The Ring was lost, and nobody knows where it went."

Bilbo nodded in interest. "Right." He cleared his throat. "I was just looking around. Care to show me your home?"

Kayla giggled and took his arm. "Bilbo Baggins, it would be my pleasure."

And they walked through Imladris, going in buildings and outside. They walked through a bridge, inhaling the clean air. Pretty soon, they found themselves at a balcony outside a building, looking out at the beautiful view. Just then, footsteps approached.

"Not with you companions?" asked Lord Elrond, going to stand in between the Elf and the Hobbit.

"Uh, no, I shan't be missed," responded Bilbo.

Elrond looked to Kayla, and she simply shrugged.

"The truth is, most of them don't think Bilbo and I should be on this journey," Kayla confessed after a few seconds of silence.

Elrond frowned and looked at the two of them. "Indeed?"

"Yup," she said. "But I don't mind. It's Bilbo here that's worried," she teased. Bilbo shrugged.

"I've head that Hobbits are very resilient," Elrond said.

Bilbo chuckled, obviously not believing it. But when he saw Elrond's plain expression, his eyes widened.

"Really?" he asked seriously.

Elrond nodded. "Mm." He looked out at Imladris. Glancing to Bilbo again, he said, "I've also heard they're fond of the comforts of home."