Nine

Kayla walked trough the corridors of Imladris, happy to be back home. Nothing had really changed much, but Kayla still felt the need to venture.

Taking a detour to her room, she found that a dress had been laid out on her bed. She chuckled and shook her head. Arwen must have reached her room way before Kayla had. A rose petal bath was waiting for her, the steam rising from the tub. Grinning, Kayla undressed and undid her messy braid. She stepped into the tub, feeling relieved with every passing second she stayed there. She wiped the grime off of her body and washed her hair. By the time she exited the tub, the water was black. She was that dirty. Getting into a robe, Kayla delicately brushed her hair. Picking up two clips, she pulled back two strands of hair from each side and pinned them back. Her brown waves fluttered, and the curls at the bottom bobbed up and down.

Going to her bed, she examined the dress. It was truly beautiful, with golden beads that were embroidered on the neckline and shimmered brightly. The main part of the dress was a light golden fabric, but not too gold to the point where everything glowed. The arm sleeves were light and fluttery, the wrist portion embroidered with beads too. Taking off her robe, she slipped into her dress. Checking herself in the mirror one last time, she adjusted her necklace so that it showed. Then she opened the door to leave the room, finding the Arwen was already waiting for her. She gasped as she looked Kayla up and down.

"You look beautiful," she breathed.

Kayla chuckled. "Not so bad yourself, Evenstar."

Arwen rolled her eyes. True, Arwen was very beautiful, with perfect straight hair and stormy blue eyes, and when she smiled, it was like the whole world lit up. Kayla loved to tease Arwen because she was so modest, but that's what happens when your the prettiest elleth in Middle-earth.

"Come on," Arwen said with a sly smile.

With a laugh, the two elleths took each others arm and walked to the courtyard, where the food was being handed out. All of the Dwarves (excluding Thorin) and Bilbo sat at a large table, talking to each other. Thorin, Gandalf, and Elrond were at another table, talking about business. Suddenly feeling uncomfortable, Kayla halted.

"Arwen, I can't do this," she whispered.

"What? Why?" Arwen asked gently, a hand on her shoulder.

"It's just— I don't know. I just suddenly feel nervous," she responded with a light shrug.

Arwen laughed lightly. "Surely, you have nothing to fear," she said.

Reluctantly, Kayla followed her sister-friend into the room. Elrond's eyes perked up, and he smiled lightly.

"Ah," said he. "Arwen, Kayla. Tolo, govano ven."

With a shy smile, Kayla proceeded to go to her seat. The Dwarves eyes her and raised an eyebrow, obviously not used to seeing her look so formal. Thorin was just at a loss for words.

"Wow," he breathed. He cleared his throat. "You look... beautiful," he said finally.

Kayla blushed. "Le feal," she said. "It means thank you, and that you're generous."

Thorin smiled and nodded shortly. Taking a seat next to him, Kayla exhaled. Arwen sat at her other side, smiling warmly. Elrond examined a sword, and they got to business.

"This is Orcrist, the Goblin-cleaver," said Elrond. "A famous blade, forged by the High Elves of the West, my kin." He handed Orcrist back to Thorin. "May it serve you well."

Thorin took the sword and nodded with... Valar, was that respect Kayla saw in his eyes?

"And this..." he said to Gandalf as he took his sword and unsheathed it, "is Glamdring, the Foehammer. Sword of the King of Gondolin." He handed the sword back to Gandalf. "These were made for the Goblin Wars of the First Age."