Chapter 9-Sophie

"I gave you enough in my letter."

"221B Baker Street."

Interaction with... someone. 

She feel asleep, her mind teeming with thoughts of where he was, Keefe asking her not to find him, and Edaline.

And her dreams were full of terrors.

People she couldn't see, grasping at her, their shadowy hands pulling her down into the void.

Amy frowning, and talking with another person, whose voice was so familiar, but she couldn't place, sitting on the floor of a treehouse. Both disappeared in shadows.

Screams piercing her mind, echoing around, one in particular making her insides shrivel.

Her parents, her friends, and everyone close to her, shoved into a tight space, fear printed on their faces.

Then Keefe, grasping her hand, twining their fingers together, and begging her to stay awake.

Sophie woke up in a cold sweat.

Her room was alight, the curtains drawn back from her window. Sophie pulled back her covers, padded over to the window. It looked so normal out. Too normal.

Then she remembered.

Edaline.

She bolted out of her room, not caring that she was still in her pajamas, and whipped through the hall to their room.

She halted.

Edaline looked up from where she was sitting on her bed. Grady stood next to her, along with Elwin who seemed to be mixing up elixirs.

"Hey, Sophie." Edaline smiled.

Then Sophie was hugging her, tightly. "I'm so glad you're okay."

Edaline rubbed her back. "I'm fine. I'll be good as new by tomorrow."

Elwin made a  noise in his throat. "So long as you don't use your conjuring." He gave her the elixir.

Edaline smelled it and looked away, her face tightening. "I'm pretty sure there's spit related to Verdi in there."

"Trust me, it's better if I don't tell you." He smiled sympathetically and turned to Sophie.

The worry lines on his forehead grew a bit deeper, but the smile remained. "How's my favorite patient?" He turned to Edaline again. "No offense."

She shook her head after gulping down a bottle of Youth. "None taken."

"Are you getting enough sleep?" He asked, already snapping and shining the lights to check her cells.

"Kind of, I guess. I was, until..." Sophie hesitated, glancing at her parents. "Well, since before Keefe's whole transformation thing."

A stream of guilt flashed across Elwin's face. "I'm sorry I couldn't stop him."

Sophie shrugged. "You didn't know."

Elwin cleared his throat after a moment of silence, turning back to Edaline. "You know what I'm going to say?"

She nodded. "Sleep."

"Yep. Best healer. Like I said, no conjuring until I say, but you should be fine otherwise. Hail me if you have any problems." He gave Edaline, then Sophie a stern look. "Anything."

Sophie raised her hands, with an expression that she hoped said, who me? 

Edaline laughed, but it was interrupted by a huge yawn.