treinta y siete

"Babe..." Napapikit na lamang ako nang maramdaman ko ang pagyakap ni Uno mula sa likuran ko habang naglalagay ako ng toner sa mukha. I just got my license yesterday, tapos pinagsimula kaagad ako, and today was a full-blast at the hospital. Being a Neurosurgery resident required a lot, and I was exhausted as hell. "I missed you," he whispered and kissed my cheek.

I sighed, again, "I didn't want my overthinking ass get the best of me so I really tried my best to just ignore this," I said. "But really... what's going on?"

Uno sighed bago inikot 'yung inuupuan kong stool at iniharap ako sa kaniya, and then he knelt down in front of me, "I know we haven't been speaking a lot for the past two months, that's because first, I wanted you to focus on your examinations... it's... I know this reason is bullshit, but that's one."

"Yeah, it's bullshit," I said—chuckling. "You're never like this, Uno. Something happened and you don't want to tell it to me."

"Brandi..." he sighed, again, and then run his fingers through his hair—his frustration evident.

"What the hell is happening, Uno? You know us being not quite okay boggled the hell out of me. This is about that firm invitation pa rin ba?" I asked. "Tell me... you haven't been coming home ever since. If you will, ang dalang lang. Where have you been? I know this marriage was just for us to save me from getting married to Fallon, but Uno... three years. Are you trying to throw that away now?"

"Two months ago... I accepted a case."

"W-what case?"

"It's not political," he said. "Quite. But then it got really complicated because I found out that... I was after a big syndicate already... and they have connections with a lot of politicians and I... I didn't want to endanger your safety."

"So... you tried to avoid me?" He nodded. I sighed. "I-I thought we were... falling apart.

"Babe... no," he said and kissed my knuckles. "I promised you I'll fight for you, right? I can't let them hurt you. Your family, or anyone else."

"Uno... I told you to never bottle up your feelings," I said. "Until when are you going to keep this up? Nakakainis kasi... kasi gusto ko rin namang malaman kung okay ka pa ba... kung okay pa ba tayo... okay lang naman maging vocal kung hindi ka na okay, Uno, e. Kasi mas nakakatakot kung okay lang tayo... tapos biglang, wala na. Biglang may problema pala talaga... sabihin mo naman sa'kin."

"I-I'm just scared, Brandi," he whispered, his lips quivering as tears started to fall from his eyes. "I'm scared that I might not even be capable of making you safe."

I got down from the stool and held his shoulders, and smiled before wiping his tears away, "Why are you crying?"

He bit his lip before he pulled me and hugged me, "I know it doesn't make sense, but believe me, it will... one day," he whispered and broke the embrace before kissing my forehead. "I love you, Brianna... more than my life."

***

Dumaan muna kami ni Uno sa coffee shop malapit sa hospital para mag-breakfast nang kaunti since sobrang aga pa naman. Bumili na rin ako ng kape para sa mga kasama ko since si Tims na 'yung bumili. Nag-Neuro na rin kasi si Tims, tapos si Amelia napunta sa Lubang as a volunteer doctor. Parang gusto nga naming pumunta someday ni Tims since ang ganda and ang peaceful no'ng island.

Initially, we wanted to appy for PGH, but in the end, we ended up at my Tita's hospital. PGH would've been nice, too, to be honest, but some other doctors deserve the slots better.

"How are you and Uno?" Tims asked. I smiled before I took a bite from the strawberry na dala no'ng isang intern na kagagaling ng Baguio.

"We're... okay," I said. "We're going to be."