chapter four

Harry's POV

It's 10:58pm when there's a knock at my door, which is unusual considering the unit is already shut down and the night nurse has already made her rounds with the medicine cart. I grab the door handle and reveal Louis, the guy from the social group.

He looks at me then starts to turn away but I grab his arm before he can and pull him inside.

"Louis?" I'm very confused.

"Uh yeah, it's me." He does these weird jazz hands.

"What are you doing here?" I'm still so confused.

"I couldn't sleep and you're the only person i've met since I've moved in."

"Okay. Um. How did you- How did you even find me?"

"Some guy downstairs looked you up in the hospital records and now i'm here."

We stare blankly at each-other.

"Actually this was a really bad idea. Should I go? I think i'm gonna go." He rambles.

"No." I raise my brows. "Please stay."I place my hand on his knee as he sits beside me on the terribly uncomfortable couch.

"A-Alright." He's nervous and I can tell.

It's quite for a while, not the awkward type of quiet but more of the "we're both so tired and enjoy each other's presence even though we just met." type of quiet.

"You have cancer." He blurts breaking the silence.

"Good job, Captain Obvious." I nudged him with my foot. He smiled.

"I didn't know, I mean you look.... normal."

"It's all a big disguise." I open my eyes wide and drag out my words like i'm a magician.

He doesn't laugh like I intended him to.

"Aren't you like afraid....of dying?"

"Man, you really don't hold back do you."

"Sorry, You don't have to answer." He looked embarrassed and it actually made me feel bad.

"I used to be, but over time I just had to settle with the fact that I have an expiration date and it's probably a whole lot shorter than everybody else's." I look over at him, he's looking at his feet.

"What about you?" I ask.

"Oh. Yeah, I am. Plus I hate it here, I mean why would I want to die somewhere like this." He's looking at me now. The city lights are shining on his face through the window.

"Come on, it's not that bad." I adjust my self to sit up straighter. "Here, lets promise each other we won't die. Okay?" I stick out my pinky.

Louis looks at my finger hanging in the air then loops his around mine.

"Promise."

We hold on to one another for a little too long so I attempt to take matters into my own hands. I slowly move my body towards his and my lips closer, untying our fingers.

"Shit, I - I uh better get back before I have to take my night meds." He jumps up off the couch and heads to the door.

"Wait! What happened?" Shit, Harry, you screwed things up.

"Nothing, I just don't wanna get in trouble. I'll see ya around." Then he's gone.

——

It took me awhile to fall asleep last night. I couldn't stop thinking about how I tried to kiss Louis. What was I even thinking, He's probably not even gay.

I shove my face into my pillow when the my alarm goes off at 7:45. I need to be ready and in room 268 on the second floor by 8:00 am . I have my IV treatment 3 times today.

As I'm headed down stairs I can't seem to shake last night out of my head. I was so dumb and probably ruined the one good thing I had coming for me.

I walk in and see 9 other patients all sitting in recliner chairs spread out around the room. This is gonna be a long 3 hours.

I spot Lisa over on the far left staring a little girls IV. I sit down in the next open chair closest to her.

"Morning Champ. How'd you sleep?" She talking to me and stating a new IV on some boy who looks 14 maybe 15. She's a great multitasker.

"It was Hell." I emphasize on the word 'Hell'

"Harry, Language please." She shoots me a look.

"Hell isn't a bad word." I look at the young girl next to me and whisper. "Hell isn't a bad word."

"Jenna, don't listen to him." She's still giving me the death stare.

"Mandy, do you mind staring Harry's IV for me?"

A thin young blonde woman wearing light pink scrubs walks over and starts to clean my arm. She's cute. If I wasn't gay I'd definitely be into her. She has a nice rack too, Lisa catches me staring.

"Buddy her eyes are up there."

Mandy giggles a bit.

I look up at her, she has brown eyes. "Don't worry, I'm gay."

"Okay, for the next few hours just try not to trip on any of the cords. You need to be back here by 11:15 and we'll take it out." She smiles and strides towards another patient.

"I can just leave?" I'm excited, maybe I'll have time to go talk to Louis.

"Yes you can, just keep your IV with you and untangled and your good to go."

"Sweet! Thanks, I'll see you later Lisa."

"Best behavior only Harry." She's stern with her voice but I know she has a soft spot for me. I was her first patient when she started working here so we've always been there for each other.

"Yes, ma'am." She's basically my hospital Mum.

——
Now I have to figure out how I'm gonna find Louis and fix things.

————
Ahh I'm actually loving my story a lot and I like the way it's coming together hehe.