The Thirteenth

I decided to use art breeder to show you what I think the characters look like. I love looking at fan art and I don't have any so I decided to make some myself. Let me present to you Rye and Emerson. There is a chapter below!!

 There is a chapter below!!

Rye

Rye

There actually was an assassin in the middle of the gods-damned Arena.

Of course, there was, I clearly wasn't my Father who would never have had this happen to him. I failed at being a good King and it was only week one, how the Hellas was I supposed to do this for the rest of my life. My fire burned deep within me doing nothing to soothe me like it normally did. I just had to deal with this little by little, or I would over work myself. I took a few deep breaths and started to think about the situation piece by piece. I broke down the problem in front of me.

I needed more information. All I knew what that there was an assassin and Jase had found him. I knew they were trying to kill me, but I didn't know who had hired them. That was the biggest question of the day.

I was standing in the King's office in the back of the Arena, pacing back and forth on the dark wood floor. There was a wall of windows that looked out into the fighting pit. Diagonally I could see the thrones in which Nina, My Mother, and I sat to watch the Search.

Early this morning I had received a letter. After reading it Jase had wanted to call off the Search. He kept saying that if the assassin succeeded and I died there was no other male who could assume the throne, the Region would be plunged into chaos. He was right, there was no other male Brande that could assume the throne, a new line would have to ascend from the courts.

I had a different plan, one that also didn't involve me dying. I knew that if I cancelled the Search I would get major push back from the courts and it would look like I didn't know how to keep my own Arena safe. I had to keep this information under wraps and clearly catch the assassin off guard. So, I continued with everything go to plan. The assassin wouldn't know that he was walking into a trap. I only told Jase, and a few guards that Jase trusted with his life. Nothing could seem amiss or it would scare off the assassin, so we continued the day as planned.