he knew that his patience was all that he could afford to you. after everything he's done, it was the least he could do not to lash out at the both of you. 

"eren! [y/n]! stop moving around!" berholdt's face was pushed up against the hand of the armored titan, "quit it!"

"good luck with that one, bertholdt!" an awfully familiar voice outside called, "it's impossible to get the both of them to calm down you know." you could hear jean's smirk from outside, "he's the most irritating guy out there! and hanji helped raise [y/n]! they're the most annoying duo out there! i know this better than anyone!"

you smiled a little bit at jean's comment, finding humor in the situation and paused your movements. you noticed that eren stopped moving as much, but continued to push bertholdt as much as he could with the remaining strength in his legs. 

"so c'mon," jean tried to coax bertholdt out of reiner's hands, "let's beat him up together." 

"bertholdt! give them back!" mikasa yelled out, clearly frustrated and impatient. 

"you're both kidding, right?" connie's uneasy voice rung out, "bertholdt? reiner? you both mean to tell us that.. you spent all that time deceiving us like that? that's just wrong!" 

"this is all a lie right?" sasha's voice broke, "tell us that this is all a lie!" 

the both of them stayed quiet and no response was given to the group standing outside on reiner's arms. 

"you can't believe that you both can just run away like that!" jean yelled, "didn't we sleep together under the same roof for three years? went through the same training as comrades? bertholdt, your sleeping forms are truly an art form. did you know that we used to predict the weather with it?" you could hear jean sigh outside, "to think that we shared a roof with two invaders, right next to your victims too!" 

"was everything a lie?" connie asked, "remember when we discussed surviving this together? how we would go out drinking when we were older.. was everything.. a lie?" 

you could feel bertholdt's heart beat even quicker now, his breath coming out quick and almost borderline hyperventilating. you could tell that he was having a small panic attack at the moment, with all of the memories of training crashing down onto him and all of the guilt he'd felt throughout the years. 

"what were you both thinking this entire time?" connie asked innocently. 

"why does that even matter?" mikasa spoke up, "just focus on cutting his neck, if we hesitate for even a moment, it could risk eren and [y/n]'s lives," you could tell that mikasa was at the end of her patience, "they are enemies of humanity, that's all we need to know." 

it was in that moment that bertholdt snapped and for the first time you heard him yell out of blatant frustration and guilt. 

"t-tell me who! who the hell would want to kill people by choice?" there was a brief pause from the outside at bertholdt's words, "who the hell would even like doing this? do you think i wanted to do this? people hate and discriminate us and we've done so many horrible things that we deserve to die," you felt his tears gently drop onto your face, "the only time we were able to relax was when we were pretending to be soldiers." 

you felt bertholdt take in a deep breath before continuing, "it wasn't a lie! connie! jean! yes, we did deceive you all but i swear it wasn't all a lie! we really did consider you all comrades! we don't even have the right to apologize, but someone.. please.. someone come save us!" 

there was another brief pause and silence filled everyone after bertholdt's confession and overwhelming guilt. mikasa broke the silence with a sharp, "give them back." to which bertholdt refused and told her that he could not, that someone had to be the one to get their hands dirty, to get their hands stained in blood.