026

the trip to utgard castle was tiring, traveling at night was not one of your favorite pastimes; you always preferred sleeping or spending quality time with your father instead. you knew that it would be safer and you were not willing to risk titans coming in to mess up the formation. 

you thought of your father, who was probably cooped up in his office, drinking some black tea, and staring at the nearest window. he was probably just as antsy as you were, not fully trusting hanji to keep you entirely safe but needing to forcing himself to stay calm. 

you thought of eren, who was probably drooling at the idea of titans to kill. you smiled to yourself, his headstrong and stubborn attitude was one of the reasons why you fell in love with him in the first place. 

it would be a few more hours until the sun would come up and you would be forced to be on the lookout for titans once again. you let yourself daydream and trusted your horse to maintain the pace with hanji. 

"don't fall asleep on me shortie," you heard hanji said, interrupting you from your slight out of body experience. 

"im not falling asleep," you rolled your eyes playfully, "and im not that short." 

"that's what all of the short people say," hanji laughs, "you feeling okay?" 

hanji probably felt your unease since the beginning of the trip, you nodded, "i'd rather be sleeping right now." 

hanji smiled softly, "we have an hour or so left, hang in there"

---

time seemed to speed up the moment you noticed the smoke coming from utgard castle. there was a distinct rumbling coming from the ground, one that did not come from the horses within the formation. 

"auntie, look!" you said pointing at the smoke. 

"something's wrong," she said before raising her voice for the people in the back, "be prepared to attack." 

the entire atmosphere of the formation changed drastically, feeling more tense than ever. hanji looked over at you with a serious look in her eyes. 

"something bad is about to happen, i need you to pull your weight and i also need you to be safe," her eyes darkened, "can you do that?"

you nodded, "im ready for anything." 

"good," she turned towards the back of the formation, "mikasa, you and [y/n] are one of the more skilled fighters here. go check out the situation first." 

"yes sir!" mikasa said before getting her odm gear in place. you did the same as well, looking back at her for confirmation before setting out before the entire formation. 

the both of you flew into the air, almost trying to out best each other in speed, trying to get to the castle before the other. 

it wasn't smoke that permeated the air, it was debris. the castle was in shambles, fallen into bits and pieces with titans surrounding the area. 

the titans seemed to be gathered in one area while a few seemed to gather in another area. you looked closer, there were people on the ground. 

"mikasa! look!" you directed her attention over to the titan that was approaching what looked like a woman on the ground and she flew over there without further demand. 

while mikasa went on to save the people on the side, you went over to where the group of titans were situated and noticed that they were all trying to grab at something. annoyed already by the sight of titans, you rushed to try and kill them one by one. you heard the sound of reinforcements and the sound of aunt hanji telling others to assist you with the horde of titans.

you noticed out of the corner of your eye, an oddly familiar brunette that seemed a little more than enthusiastic to kill a titan. you were happy for eren, as you knew that this was his first time ever killing one in human form. you were proud of him for a brief moment, smiling for a bit. 

until his odm anchors got jumbled up and sent him flying to the ground. your eyes widened as you zoomed on over to him, needing to help him up before any one titan could get him. 

you stumbled on over to him, laughing, "i saw that," you said before giving him a hand up. 

"was it that embarrassing?" 

"im never letting you live it down." 

by the time the both of you turned around, almost all of the titans were killed. you saw familiar faces: connie, krista, reiner, and bertholdt. 

"what happened?" eren asked. 

"never mind what happened, ymir's a titan!" connie said, rushing over to the heap of hot smoke behind the both of you. 

behind you was historia carefully holding ymir in her lap, as if she was fragile and easily breakable. she was teary eyed, obviously due to the fact that they were all just attacked by a horde of titans and nearly losing the one person she was closest too. 

you stood close to eren as she whispered her real name into ymir's ears, his hand reaching out towards yours to hold. for the time being, there was peace. there was love. there was hurt. and there was a conclusion. 

---

the trip back to trost was slightly more bearable than the trip to utgard castle. your horse managed to get lost in the fray, thus leading to you and eren sharing his horse for the trip back. this time, it was easier to daydream in peace and forget about your surroundings; but it was much harder to avoid the stares people gave the both of you. 

almost everyone knew that the both of you were dating at this point. normally inseparable unless it was during a titan expedition and you were assigned a different unit from eren. he made going back to trost warm and it was comforting to you. 

but you inherited your father's gut feelings, and you certainly knew something was going to go awry sooner or later. 

[a/n]: holy crap the comments you guys leave are so fucking funny i cannot believe how amazing my readers are. IM NOT KIDDING WHEN I SAY THAT YOU GUYS MAKE MY DAY :')

also, do you guys prefer shorter chapters or longer chapters?

hopefully the next chapter will be out soon :) <3

yours truly, rosé!