036

when you told your name to the old man across from you, he immediately sat upright from his usual leaning posture. you couldn't make out the type of face he was making. was he sad? was he shocked? why did he almost seem proud when you told him your name? 

"is something wrong?" you asked. 

he jumped slightly in his seat, "yes, yes i'm alright missy." 

"you don't seem alright."

"no, trust me, i am."

the carriage was silent once again and you opted to look out the window instead of back at the old man. you shifted uncomfortably in your seat, the ropes were digging into your skin and your whole body felt taut. 

kenny, the old man, cleared his throat, causing you to look back at him. he paused to look at you, before opening his mouth to speak, "what's your father like?" 

you smiled, "only the best one out there." 

"you're gonna have to be a little more specific with that, missy." 

you looked up in thought, "well.." 

"..well?" the old man sounded impatient. 

"he's kind," you looked back at the old man, "he's pretty strict but he's the best listener out there. he's like my best friend... and he's the strongest person i know."

"what about your mother?"

"she died when i was really young," kenny's face stiffened slightly, "she was pretty sick."

"i see." it was kenny's turn to shift around in his seat, it usually got like this when you told people about your family life, "i'm assuming it's only you and your father?"

"blood wise, yes. but i have people who i call my aunt and uncle. they helped raise me." 

kenny nodded in acknowledgement and stayed silent. 

"do you have any family?" you asked. 

kenny looked back at you, almost with a pained expression. was it pained? you couldn't tell with him. 

"i used to. abandoned my only family years ago."

your heart hurt at his words, "do you regret it?"

he seemed hesitant to speak, but spoke anyway, "at first i didn't. now i regret it a little."

you wanted to ask him more but sadly the carriage stopped, halting the questions you had about the old man across from you. 

"we're here." he said, opening the door to the carriage. there was already a subordinate waiting outside, holding what looked like a sack. kenny took the sack from the person before looking back at you. 

"sorry little missy," he said before putting the cloth over your head, blocking your vision. 

"how am i gonna walk now?" 

"hop if you need to." 

"what if i fall?"

"you won't trust me." 

hobbling out of the carriage, you were pulled off and began slowly walking to whatever destination. 

"watch your steps," kenny said, which still didn't prepare you for the flight of stairs you had to walk down before arrived to the floor below you. the ground felt slightly slippery, like gravity would fail you any second, but you continued to walk to wherever the old man was leading you to. 

was this it? was this where you would die? no, not after that conversation with that old man.

"you're here..?" you heard another man's voice, "who is.. that..?"