032

"are you sure you don't want me to help you carry that?" you held the firewood in your arms, your pile considerably smaller than mikasa's 

"i'm fine," mikasa said, holding the axe in one hand and another pile of firewood under her arms. 

"you're injured, mikasa," historia said, "let [y/n] help." 

almost reluctantly, she gave you a few pieces of her firewood and the three of you continued to walk back to the small cottage in the forest. the small conversation between you and historia continued on, with mikasa listening in the back. 

for reasons unknown to you, all of levi squad was stationed to a secluded area of the woods, reminding you of your first experience with the first levi squad. this time around you felt more comfortable, since almost all of your friends lived in the same living area as you. 

you opened the door to the cottage, walking in on eren and jean arguing yet again. 

"we're back," mikasa said. 

armin walked up to the three of you, almost in shock, "mikasa, were you chopping firewood?" 

"gotta stay in shape." 

"you're still recovering!  you should be in bed still." 

"let her be," you said, "if she says she's fine then she probably is." 

keyword: probably. you knew that mikasa's stubborn tendencies would get the best of her, so the best thing to do was to let her do as she pleased while keeping a close eye on her, which is precisely why you decided to accompany her in the first place. 

the second reason was to avoid doing more household chores. you figured that connie and eren would be enough to clean. 

"I saw her doing sit-ups earlier," eren sighed. 

"you peeping tom!" jean yelled at him. 

you noticed that historia stood around aimlessly as jean and eren resumed their argument, connie and sasha were in their small corner sorting out potatoes, and armin had gone after mikasa to ask if she was actually okay. 

"are you okay, historia?" you asked the blonde girl. 

she stopped spacing out briefly, "i'm okay" 

your gut feeling told you that she secretly was not but you kept that sentiment to yourself, "whatever you say." 

you left the entranceway to put away the firewood with historia. sasha quickly put some bread into her bag, but was immediately caught by armin. which immediately started another altercation with jean and connie telling her to put it back and eren uselessly telling everyone to finish cleaning before your father came back. you smiled to yourself, while the cottage was a new location for everyone, it slowly began to feel like home. 

the door opened and in walked in your father, dressed up in a black suit and neatly combed hair, "what's going on?" 

mikasa and you both stood near sasha, trying to get her to give up the piece of bread she stole, barely realizing that your dad came in at all. you could've sworn you saw eren tremble in fear, when your father realized that there was still dust beneath the table. 

"i was sure that i gave you all ample time to clean," your father pulled out his handkerchief, "anyways, we will discuss your cleaning another time." your father told eren that your aunt was anxious to go out and experiment, which led to almost everyone leaving the cottage to help supervise. 

you stood next to moblit, who explained to you what kind of experiments hanji had planned out. apparently they were going to see if he could talk, but that unfortunately was not the case; his titan mouth wasn't built for talking.