I Stare Anyways

"I said. I saw you, (y/n)," Ron snapped. "What are you talking about?!" I asked him. My heart started to race. Could he have been the person behind the corner? "I went to go clear things up with you, and I see you with your hands all over Hermione! Is this real or are you leading her on as well?" He began, "What is Harry next? Is this a game for you?" My world came crashing down.

He knew. This was it, this was the end of the short romance that I'd enjoyed so much. Warm tears started spilling down my face, I wanted them to stop, but I couldn't help it. I couldn't lose Hermione, not like this. "You're such an arse, Ron!" I yelled at him, unable to control my quivering voice. "Oh am I? At least I'm not involved with each one of my friends," Fumed Ron. "I was never involved with you, Ron! I said we were going to the Hog's Head as friends!" I bellowed.

He looked resentful. "I can't believe you, (y/n)," He said, softer than he was before. "Ron, please don't say anything," I sobbed as he started to walk away. As he got farther from me, I decided it wasn't worth it to go after him.

Tears were spilling down my cheeks faster than before. I didn't think I could run after him without falling apart. I was fed up, sad, angry, and confused. I stormed off in the direction of the Gryffindor common room, leaving the courtyard. My hand was over my mouth, in an attempt to silence my heavy breathing. I was walking as fast as I could, looking down at my feet. I didn't care who I walked by, I only wanted to see Hermione.

I made it to the common room, enduring many stares and utter bewilderment from the students I passed on the way. I ran up to the dorms, and once I was in my room, I threw myself onto my bed, and I started to sob into my pillow. I had no idea what Ron would do, how Hermione would react, or if Harry even knew what was going on.

Part of me knew that Ron would never tell anyone about Hermione and me, but the way he glared at me earlier made me think otherwise. I was petrified that Hermione would dump me in fear of her parents finding out. I was deep in thought as I cried, overthinking every possible scenario. In the back of my mind, I was glad it was Ron who saw us, and not someone like Pansy Parkinson, who would blab to everyone she saw.

My thoughts were interrupted as the door to my room swung open. I looked up, and Hermione was staring at me, with wide eyes. "What on Earth happened?! Hannah Abbott told me she saw you crying as you ran down the hall," She exclaimed. It was bloody obvious I'd been crying. "It was Ron, Hermione," I sniffled. "What do you mean?" She asked. "Ron is the one who saw us earlier. He's furious with me, he thinks I'm leading you on or using you or something," I replied.

Hermione's expression was a mixture of surprise, fear, and confusion. "I'm so sorry to leave you like this, but I'll be right back," She said, as she sped-walk out of the door. I sat on the edge of the bed with my head in my hands. I could never predict her intentions as she did with me. I was utterly confused and terribly sad. I decided to go to the bathroom to try and tone down the redness in my face.

In fear of running into other girls, I decided to make the trip to Myrtle's bathroom. I was once again looking down at my feet, fast walking to the deserted bathroom. I was stopped dead in my tracks as someone grabbed my arm. I jumped from the sudden movement, as I looked up and saw Harry. "I need to talk to you, come with me," He said.

He started to lead me to the place I'd originally been headed to. Once we arrived, having walked in awkward silence the whole time, he pushed open the door and lead me inside the bathroom. At first, he just stood in front of me, staring. The quiet was interrupted when Harry spoke, "Ron told me." My heart dropped a little. Who knows how many others he told.

"What all did he say?" I asked. "He said he saw you and Hermione... er- snogging, in the hall, and how you're a lying git," He explained. "Well, the thing about Hermione and me is true, but we only didn't say anything because her parents would kill her and-" I said, but Harry interrupted me, "It's alright. I understand. I was even able to talk Ron down after a bit, then I came to find you. I can tell he regrets saying that stuff to you," He told me.

"Thank you, Harry," I said, going in to hug him. He hugged me back, and after a few seconds, he prompted, "I just have one question, though." "Go for it," I said. "Is she the person that poem was about?" He inquired. I started to laugh, remembering the catastrophe that happened a couple of months ago. I broke away from the hug, and said, "You remember that stupid poem?" "Well yeah, it was a really beautiful poem. Also, I figured if you really felt that way about Hermione, she's really lucky to have you," He said.

"Well, yes, it was about her," I told him. He smiled, then nodded, "We should probably go find Ron." He began to walk out of the door, as I followed. He lead me to the common room, then up to the boy's dorm. We entered into the room he shared with Ron, to see him sitting on the edge of the bed, with his head in his hands.

At the sound of us walking in, he looked up, and said, "(y/n). I've- uh, been thinking about what I said, and I just wanted to say that I didn't tell anyone but Harry and I-," I interrupted him, "It's okay, Ronald. I'm sorry as well, to both of you. Hermione and I should've trusted you with our secret." The three of us walked into a hug, and I was happy that things were almost back to normal. I knew I couldn't stay here long. I had to find Hermione, so I said, "Loving this precious moment, but I've got to go find Hermione." I broke off, then ran out of the room. As I left, I could hear Ron say, "It's getting late!"

I didn't care about getting caught. I ran back up to my dorm and grabbed the familiar white journal out from under my bed. For once, I knew exactly where to find her. I ran through the school, stopping to hide whenever I heard footsteps. I finally arrived at the Astronomy Tower, and once I got to the top, I was extremely winded. I stopped to catch my breath, then I looked up to see Hermione, sitting alone, writing something.

"Hey," I said. She looked up and wiped tears from her eyes. "(y/n), um. I'm just-" She stuttered. I walked over to where she was and sat down next to her. "I'm coming out to my parents, (y/n)," She whispered. "This is good, this is who you are," I told her, putting my head on her shoulder. She wiped her eyes once again, and I asked, "You remember that poem from two months ago? The one Pansy stole?" "Of course I do. Although I never got to read it," She told me.

"Do you want to?" I hesitated. "I suppose I could use a break from this," She chuckled. At this, I opened the back of my journal and took out the loose page I'd stuck there months prior. I handed it to her, and she read aloud,

"I just couldn't seem to keep my eyes away

Although I know I should

But her beauty is like a breath of spring after a cold Winter

Even if she will never see me as I see her

I stare anyways

I will never be her fresh air, or what her mind goes to when she wakes

And as I look at her, she sees another

Whilst I know this, I stare anyways

And I will continue to stare for as long as it takes

For her to see me the same"

There was silence for a minute after she read this until I said, "It's about you, Granger." She hesitated before saying, "(y/n). I-" I silenced her, "It's okay, you don't have to say anything. I suppose it's kind of pathetic. I've liked you since 3rd year and-" "It's gorgeous," She whispered. I looked up to meet her eyes, and we stared back at each other for a moment.

"I love you, (y/n)" She said, just audible for me to hear. My heart exploded in my chest at her words. After all this time, she'd said it first.

"I love you too, Granger."

(a/n): Ahhhh this is where the story ends. I will publish an epilogue soon, just for clarification. I hope you liked it. I am aware that I changed the poem from the original one, but I thought my edits made more sense. I will be going back to the original and changing it, but I wanted to make that clear lol. Thank you for reading this, and I appreciate all of you :)