Happy Christmas

I awoke the next morning to shuffling all throughout the house. I suddenly recalled the events of last night, and although I was drowsy when it occurred, I still remembered it vividly. I could still feel myself pressed up against Hermione, me hugging her, looser than before. I opened my eyes, surprised to see her staring back at me. She smiled, and said, "Goodmorning, (y/n)." I returned the smile, still over the moon that I got to lay with her like this. "Morning, Granger. How did you-" My words were interrupted as we heard the door slam open, again.

   Hermione and I looked up, and turned our heads to see who it was; our touch breaking in the process. "Happy Christmas!" Harry and Ron said in unison. Ginny was awake now as well, sitting up and rubbing her eyes. Harry looked over at Hermione and me and saw our shocked expressions. "Woah, what did we walk in on, you two?" He said, laughing. I could feel my face turn pink, and I could swear I saw Ron's do the same. After quickly processing what was going on, I remembered that today was Christmas.

    "Shove off, Harry. We were trying to sleep," Hermione said, yawning. "Yea, you git. Ever heard of knocking?" Ginny said, blatantly annoyed. "I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time. Now hurry up, there are presents downstairs," Harry said as he and Ron turned to leave the room. Hermione, Ginny, and I all got out of bed. I stretched and threw on a hoodie, going to quickly brush my teeth with Ginny. 

   We were both stood at the sink, our mouths full of toothpaste. "Why were you all cozied up with Hermione this morning?" Ginny asked, her words were hard to decipher. I spit into the sink, and Ginny followed after. I responded, "Oh, well she was just cold. That window almost made us freeze," I laughed, thinking that this was not a lie, but there seemed to be more to the reason. "You could've closed it, you know," She said, joining my laughter. 

    We began to walk out of the bathroom, and I said, "Well, I suppose we were both too tired," and we made our way down the stairs. Everyone else was already gathered around, sitting in various places in the living room. "Bloody hell, finally!" George said as Ginny and I sat down. We all exchanged gifts, and as soon as everyone had theirs, the room filled with the noise of tearing wrapping paper. From Ron, I received Chocolate Frogs, a broom compass, and a new quill, that was a beautiful shade of blue. Harry gifted me a Falmouth Falcons sweatshirt, my favorite Quidditch team, and two jars of butterbeer. 

   "Is this the planner with the alarms and homework notifications, (y/n)?" Hermione asked me, excitedly. "Yes, I figured you would go crazy for that one," I said, laughing. Ron thanked me for the assortment of sweets, saying that 'These'll be gone by tomorrow.' As for Harry, he said the textbook I gave him was 'Brilliant,' and that I could expect to see it during the next meeting. 

   I also received a navy sweater with my first initial on it, from Mrs. Weasley. I thanked everyone tremendously for their gifts, but at the same time, I wondered why I hadn't gotten anything from Hermione. Everyone had opened their presents and sat down for breakfast. Hermione was sitting down across the table, so I couldn't speak with her this morning. I was sitting next to Ron, with Fred on my other side.

   "How'd you like the quill? I wasn't sure what color to get," Ron asked me. I looked up at him, and we made eye contact. "Oh, it's quite beautiful, really soft as well," I responded. "That's good, suppose I dodged a bullet there," He said, chuckling. I laughed along and said, "Did you hear a noise late last night?" "Oh, you heard that. Harry had just stepped onto one of those 'pressure fireworks' of Fred and George's. It was bloody hilarious, you should've heard his scream," Ron said, laughing through his words. I began to laugh as well, picturing the moment in my head.

   I had finished my breakfast, walking up to the sink to put my plate away. Right as I was about to turn around, I felt a hand on my arm. I looked over my shoulder, it was Hermione. "Come with me," She said, smiling. She began to drag me through the house, "Granger, where are we going?" I said, laughing. She stopped right outside the front door. "Put your shoes on," She said. I complied, and she took me outside. We went around to the side of the house, and she stood facing me.

    "What could you possibly need to take me out here for?" I said, crossing my arms due to the cold weather. "I felt like I should give you your present privately. I guess it's more sentimental that way," She said. I loved how much she could care for small things like this. My heart warmed at the feeling that she thought this much of me. She pulled a skinny, wrapped box out from under her coat, and handed it to me. I gently tore off the wrapping, and stuff it in my pockets.

   I opened the box, to see another small box on top of a book. I first took out the book, and the cover read, 'Astronomy: A Guide to Constellations and Nebulae.' "Sick! I've had my eye on this book for the longest time! Thank you!" I said to her. She smiled up at me and said, "Go on, open the box." I tucked the book under my arm and opened the tiny package. Inside it was a silver heart necklace, and upon further inspection, I realized it was a locket.  I opened the side, and I saw a small moving picture of Hermione and me from 4th year, that Colin Creevy had taken on the Quidditch pitch.

   In the picture, we were standing, cheering on the Gryffindor team, before breaking into laughter. I remembered this was because Fred beat a bludger at one of the Slytherin chasers, causing them to spin in circles. I couldn't help myself smiling from ear to ear. "This is wonderful, Hermione. Thank you," I said, looking from the necklace up to her eyes. I went to hug her, and we stood embracing for a minute. I savored the moment, inhaling her intoxicating perfume, and feeling her warm arms around my waist.

   She broke away and said, "Let me put the necklace on you," I nodded, and brought the necklace out of the box. I turned and pulled my hair out of the way for her. "I noticed how you excelled in Astronomy, so I thought you'd like the book. As for the necklace, I just thought it could be a friendship symbol," She told me. My heart sank at the word 'friendship.' Who gets heart-shaped necklaces for their friends? "I love them both Hermione," I said as she finally got the necklace to clasp.

   I let my hair fall, and I turned to face her. We gazed at each other in the eye for a few moments. I could feel the moment turning awkward. "What do you suppose we should do today?" I asked her, trying to break the tension. "Not sure, I suppose we'll all do something together later," She said. We continued to stand there, our feet cold in the snow. I knew that it was weird, just standing around like this, with an empty box on the ground next to me, and an astronomy book in my left hand. However, something in my head told me to not dare move from where I was standing. 

   "(y/n)..." Hermione said, inching closer to me. I was beyond confused, what was she doing?  "Hermione- what?" I said, giving her a quizzical look. She cupped my face in her cold hand, and my heart started racing. She brought her other hand around the back of my neck, sending a chill down my spine. I know my face was turning red, and my heart would not stop pounding. She began to lean her head towards mine, her eyes closing.

   I knew what was happening.

(a/n)- Ahhh sorry for the cliffhanger lol. Also, thank you all so much for 200 views :)