Missing Page

"Did you fall asleep studying?" I heard Hermione's voice over me. I woke up, and my heart dropped as I realized what happened. I was clutching my journal, which was thankfully closed. I'd fallen asleep writing. "Erm- Yea, yes, I was studying," I said, especially fast. "Weird, I don't recognize that book," She said, eyeing the blank, white cover. "Yea- that really is weird, haven't you read like, every book ever made?" I said, laughing while trying to change the subject. "Very funny, (y/n)," She said while laughing. "Hurry and get dressed, we need to get to breakfast," She said while walking to gather her books.

   I sighed in relief, thanking merlin she hadn't questioned me further. She was looking at me again. How was I supposed to explain putting a 'school book' under my mattress? I stuffed the journal in my bag, knowing I'd regret this later. I quickly put my robes on and fixed my appearance the best I could. Slight bags were forming under my eyes- serves me right for not sleeping. "I- I think I'll tell the boys at breakfast. About, well, you know," I said looking at Hermione in the mirror. "Good, I'm here for you, and I will stab them with my fork if they make fun of you," She said, as she smiled at me. "Thank you, so much, 'mione" I said as I returned her smile.

   I linked arms with Hermione, enjoying her touch. We walked down to breakfast together, participating in mindless chatter and gossip. We met up with Harry and Ron at the Great Hall entrance. We all sat down, I was across from Hermione, and next to Harry. We started eating, and we were all quiet. We didn't talk much in the mornings, all of our combined tiredness making the silence comfortable. "So, erm- I have something, I uh, would like to tell you, Ron, Harry," I broke the silence, my eyes switching from Ron to Harry. My heart was thumping in my chest.

   The boys looked at me, expecting me to carry on. I looked at Hermione, and she was giving me a reassuring nod. I nodded back and her, and looked down at the table. "The person... that I fancy, is a, um- it's a girl," I managed to say this, only hearing my heart beating 500 times a minute. Harry and Ron looked at each other, then at me. "Well, that's brilliant," Harry said after a few, very long, seconds. He smiled at me, and I smiled back. Ron looked slightly disappointed. "So, you only like girls now?" He asked me. "Well- girls and boys," I answered. His expression picked up a bit. "That's great for you, (y/n), I meant it," he smiled at me and placed his hand on my forearm. I looked up at him and smiled back. 

   "I kind of expected that," Said Harry abruptly. I jerked my head to look at him, and I gave him a quizzical expression. "I mean, I saw the way you looked at Lavender in 2nd year. Then, in 3rd year, whenever Cedric would come around, you'd stop in your tracks. It was bloody obvious, I just didn't want to say anything," Harry said nonchalantly.  "Well- I guess that would make sense," I said, slightly bewildered at the extent of Harry's observations.

   We all finished eating soon after that, and we made our way to Herbology with the Hufflepuffs. It was pretty uneventful, I spent most of the lesson joking with Seamus and Dean. After Herbology, we had to go to Care of Magical Creatures with the Slytherins. I was dreading this, as Pansy was keen on making fun of me, I'm not sure why exactly, but she always found something to laugh at me for. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I made our way to class, and every time Hermione's hand brushed against mine, I felt my stomach flutter. She made my heart feel warm.

   When we got there, the Slytherins had already set their bags down and were stood at the edge of the forest. The four of us went to put our bags down when Pansy yelled, "Not getting enough beauty sleep lately, (y/n)?" Malfoy was looking at her annoyed. She probably noticed my eye bags too. Ron went to say something back, but I stopped him. I gave Pansy the middle finger, then set my bag down on the ground.

   We began the lesson and Hagrid brought out a sort of horse-like creature, and I couldn't remember the name. He went onto explain the meaning of thestrals, and how only certain people could see them. I'd been able to see thestrals since 1st year, I had no idea I was one of few who could. Halfway through the lesson, Pansy broke off from the group of students, and I didn't really think much of this, she was always forgetting something from her bag during lessons. She returned, and the lesson carried on normally. I was focusing better in this class, as I had a love for magical creatures, and even though this was my favorite subject, my mind occasionally wandered. 

   In the years I've had this crush, I'd never been so distracted during one of Hagrid's lessons, I have no idea why I feel this strongly about Hermione. I keep telling myself to get over it, but then I look into her eyes, and shame myself for thinking that. She has this captivating smile, and it's mesmerizing. She's gorgeous.

   We finished the lesson, and the rest of the day was quite boring. After dinner, I returned to the common room to do the homework I had from the day with Hermione, Harry, and Ron. Harry and Ron were talking about quidditch the whole time, barely writing anything down. Hermione and I helped each other with our homework, and soon enough she and I went up to our dorms while the boys continued 'working'. I sat down on my bed, and I remembered my journal had been in my bag all day. When Hermione had her back turned, I reached into my bag to put it under my mattress, but my heart sunk when I realized- it was gone. 

   My heart was racing. If someone read that, they'd know everything- and I mean everything- about me. I had poured my heart and soul into that book like an idiot. I carried it around with me all day, like an idiot. I ran to the bathroom, my wand in hand. "There was a very simple solution to this," I thought to myself. I entered the bathroom, and I checked to see if anyone else was in there. Thankfully, it was empty. I locked the door and held up my wand with my shaking hand. "𝘈𝘤𝘤𝘪𝘰 journal!" I stood there for what seemed like an hour, waiting for my journal to hit the door.

  𝘛𝘩𝘶𝘥. I raced to the door, in fear that someone else would get to it before I did. I opened the door, and I breathed a huge sigh of relief. There was my journal laying on the floor. I picked it up and held it to my chest. Out of habit, I flipped through the pages, and to my dismay, one was ripped out. There was only a small triangle left of a page I'd used to write this awful poem. I'd written it in 4th year- after the Yule Ball. Of course, it was about Hermione.