Weasley Festivities

I felt the sun from Ginny's window hit my face. I opened my eyes, and they adjusted to the light. Once my eyes were in focus, a familiar brunette was directly facing me. My eyes went wide, but I didn't dare move, as she was still asleep. Her arm had ended up around my back, and our legs were pressed up against each other. I told myself not to move so I wouldn't wake her, but deep down I knew the real reason was that I wanted this moment to last forever.

  I was still staring at her, and I jumped as she shifted slightly. She was looking even more peaceful than she had last night, her hair cascading across her pillow, not caring about her appearance. 

   I shot straight up as Fred and George barged into the small room. Hermione's arm had left my back and landed on her side. She began to rub her eyes as the noise woke her up. "Mum says that breakfast will be ready in 10 minutes," Fred and George said in unison. They left the room, and Hermione sat up as I stretched my arms. Ginny was getting out of bed, and leaving the room presumably to brush her teeth. It was snowing again today, so I got dressed in my warm clothes, as did Hermione. We got ready for the day, then went downstairs together, where everyone was already eating.

   We sat down in the two empty seats and joined the conversation that was focused on Christmas decorations. Mrs. Weasley had waited until the last minute to decorate this year, as she had a habit of doing. That day we were all to help her cover the home in the usual decorations, including their tree. I was completely fine with this, and I could tell Hermione was too. I didn't eat much, my mind was preoccupied with what I had woken up to this morning. 

   There's no way she'd done that on purpose. Had she even noticed? I got up to put my plate in the sink, and Harry came right after me. "Oh good, you two are finished. Could you go upstairs and put the garland along the wall? There are already hooks set up, it's simple," Mrs. Weasley said while holding a box of garland. Before I could respond, Harry said, "Of course, Mrs. Weasley." I smiled at her and took the box.

   Harry and I got upstairs, and I immediately noticed a problem. "Where are the hooks?" Harry asked. I pointed up at them, and they were near the ceiling, far too high for either of us to reach. "Well, I suppose I could get us chairs to stand on?" I asked. "Everyone is still down eating, Charlie and Bill probably have our seats by now," Harry replied.

   Our solution was practical enough, although a little weird. I was on Harry's shoulders as he handed me garland to put on the hooks. I was halfway through the first wall when Ron came upstairs. I could've sworn his expression looked almost sour once he saw us. "Hey, Ron, your mum have you decorating as well?" Harry asked him "Yea, bit," Ron replied, brushing him off. Ron walked past us, and I assumed he was going up to his room. I finished the first wall, and Harry was walking over to the next, me still on his shoulders. "Could you go any slower, (y/n)? My shoulders are starting to ache," Harry asked, annoyed.

   Ron came back, holding a box. He walked past us fairly fast, not saying a word. It thought this was a little weird, but I didn't spend too much time thinking about it. I finished up with the second wall, and Harry let me off of his shoulders. I went back downstairs holding the now empty box, with Harry following behind me. I immediately noticed that Mrs. Weasley was the only one around. "Where is everyone?" I asked Mrs. Weasley as I entered the kitchen. "Oh, the boys have gone to get the tree, and Hermione and Ginny are outside putting up some lights. They could probably use a hand, (y/n). I need Harry to help me in here," She replied.

  I nodded and walked outside. Hermione was standing on a chair while Ginny held a spool of silver lights. "Oh, hey (y/n), we were just finishing up. It's a shame we can't use magic for this stuff yet," Hermione said as she stepped off the chair and laughed. Ginny and I chuckled, as she went to put the lights she was holding in a box. "Mum only wants us to put them up back here, for some reason," Ginny said. Before either Hermione or I could respond, there was a cacophony of noise coming from inside. "The boys must be back," Ginny said as we walked back inside.

   All of the Weasley boys were struggling to get the tree to stand up, as Mrs. Weasley yelled at them for tracking snow into the house. They finally got it to stand, and we all began to decorate it, Ron making remarks at his brothers for ditching him in the snow. Everyone else thought this was hilarious, except for Mrs. Weasley.

   Decorating didn't take very long, as Mrs. Weasley used her wand for most of it. Soon enough, Ron suggested we all play Quidditch. I only really had a broom because I liked flying on it, sports weren't really my forte. I begrudgingly agreed to be a chaser as Ron, Harry, Hermione, Ginny, the twins, and I walked outside. "I guess we'll have 2 chasers and a keeper for each team," Ron said. I was on a team with Fred and Ron, and Harry, Ginny, and George on the other. Ron set out boundaries for the "goals" and we began to play on Hermione's call.

   After my team scored 2 points and the other team 3, Charlie came outside. "I haven't played Quidditch in so long, you mind switching out Ron?" He said, walking up to the game. "I can do it!" I yelled at him. Everyone else shrugged as I got off my broom. "Don't break it," I said jokingly to him, and I walked over to sit with Hermione as the game resumed. She was looking at a book, not paying attention to the game.

   "How do you keep score when you aren't even looking?" I asked her as I sat down. "I just listen out for the cheers on either side, and I tell them the score that way," She said, looking up at me. We stared at each other for a moment, until she said, "Everything's different now, isn't it?" She looked back down and closed her book. "Well, I suppose. We aren't little kids anymore," I replied, confused about what she meant. Ron and Fred yelled from the right side of the field, and Hermione called out the score.

   She paused, before saying, "Not that, I guess it's just that we don't talk like we used to. Have you noticed? "Well, yea. Could be that it's OWL year or-" I was cut off by Hermione. "I don't want to lose any bit of our friendship, (y/n). Promise you won't let it get in the way of me," She said, as she placed her hand on top of mine. Her hands were still as soft as ever, yet cold because of the weather. "Of course, Hermione. You're my best friend." I said as I smiled at her. She smiled back and interlaced her fingers with mine.

  I squeezed her hand tight, and at this moment I was happy. I don't know why I tried to fight my feelings for Hermione in the first place. She's just everything I could ask for. She pulled me to stand up, and once I was up she brought my hand in the air and started cheering on everyone in the game. I laughed at her and joined in. I loved this part of her, the part that could let loose every now and then. The part that made me fall in love all over again.

(a/n)- can you tell this is a slow-burn ;)