Something about Granger

I looked over at her, my eyes met hers. Gentle brown eyes like pooling honey as the light from the window hit them. "You don't have anything on your parchment... Do you need any help?" Hermione asked me while looking down at my clean parchment. It was arithmancy class, which I'd really only took because I knew Hermione would. I sat next to her, dragging my inkless quill against the parchment, daydreaming. "I'm okay, just a little bored is all," I replied, my eyes darted down to her lips, but quickly came back up to her eyes. "Alright then, if you need help just ask. You may want to get started, though, we have potions soon," She said, giving me a small smile, then returning to her work.

   I eyed my parchment, still nothing written on it. I looked over at her writing. I kept my eyes on her hand, so she wouldn't notice my staring. Her hands were so delicate, they seemed so soft. Her nails were red, as I had painted them for her a couple of nights ago. The polish was starting to crack and fall off. Professor Vector was walking up, I looked back at my paper. My heart jumped, she was probably going to comment on my lack of work. "(l/n), why haven't you written anything all class?" I couldn't possibly tell her that I'd spent the entirety of class dreaming about the brunette next to me. "I- erm... You see-" I stuttered, but was cut off by Professor Vector "I expect better from you (y/n), that assignment is homework." She turned to walk away, and I started to gather my things. I was quite good at school, some may say almost as good as Hermione. Sitting next to her just clouded my brain a bit.

   "Seriously, if you need help with that tonight, I'm happy to. I don't have much work myself," Hermione said, thoughtfully. "Okay, fine, you can help me- but only because you offered. Not that I need it," I said teasingly, a grin plastered on my face. "It's okay, (y/n), even smart people need assistance occasionally. Not me- of course," Her soft-spoken voice broke into a giggle, and she smiled at me. "Whatever you say, Granger," I said as we began to walk out of arithmancy to potions. Hearing her say my name like that made my stomach flutter. She was my best friend- I shouldn't be feeling like this.

   5th year had gotten off to an uneventful start. It seemed unlikely that my feelings for her could grow beyond what they'd become just 2 years ago. This was the first crush I'd ever had on a girl- no one even knew I was bi. Not even her. When I was only 13 years old back in 3rd year, I didn't understand my feelings, they didn't make sense to me. It started off as my heart skipping tiny beats when she walked into a room, then I would get butterflies when I made eye contact with her. Those effects are still present, even as I am now 15, knowing that I was definitely bisexual.

    When I saw her at the Yule Ball, looking absolutely stunning, I couldn't keep my eyes off of her all night. That was the night I confirmed what I had already felt for her that year. Seeing her with Krum just saddened me. She seemed happy with him. Seeing her smile lifted my spirits a bit- I just wished she was smiling with me. She was perfect. I danced around with Ron most of the night- he'd asked me after he embarrassed himself in front of Fleur.

   I'd turned down all of my other offers, he was better than nothing. I couldn't help but make quick glances at her all night. I was hugged tightly to Ron, he didn't seem to notice. Seeing her for the first time at the beginning of my 5th year was quite the experience. I was mesmerized by her features, her face had changed just slightly since the last time I'd seen her. Her cheekbones, just a little more prominent. On the train to Hogwarts, I sat talking to everyone, using every chance I got to look at her- just to admire her.

   And now I'm here. Walking to potions with the girl that wouldn't leave my head. The girl that was like a parasite- constantly filling me with dopamine. We arrived at potions, I walked to my seat next to Harry, and she took hers next to Ron. "Hey, (y/n), how was arithmancy?" Harry asked as if he was reading my mind. "Same as always, this class will probably be just as boring," I said with a sigh, plopping down in my seat, as Professor Snape entered. He rambled on about the lesson, I tried to pay attention, but I couldn't stop zoning out.

   Potion ingredients filled the desk. "What are we making, again?" I whispered to Harry. He pointed to a page in the book, and I got started on making my potion. Every time I added a new ingredient, my potion would bubble violently, I assumed this meant I was doing it wrong. I looked at my cauldron with confusion. "What's up with you? You're usually really good with potions." Harry said, taking note of the boiling green liquid below me. "I'm fine, my mind has just been a little- occupied lately," I said, avoiding eye contact with him. "Occupied with what?" He asked. I was dreading him asking this. What was I supposed to say? "It's nothing, really, I'm fine," As I said this my potion gave a small explosion, making me eat my words. "It surely doesn't seem like anything- you fancy anyone?" Harry inquired. My heart warmed at the thought of Hermione. "Possibly... nothing substantial," I said, trailing off a bit. Harry looked over into my mutant potion. "It sure seems like it, (y/n)."

    "Shove off," I said while laughing. He chuckled and we both resumed working on our potions. I jumped when I realized Professor Snape was standing just 3 feet away from me. "I hope you realize, (l/n), that if you were to ingest that- thing, that would surely convulse, and die a painful death." My cheeks flushed pink as he walked away. A few people were staring at me, I quickly put my head down and stirred my poor excuse for a potion.