39.

❝ I was born bad, but then I met you❞

When I invite Laila inside and guide her to the kitchen, I show her to sit down at the table and ask her what she'd like to drink or eat. Fai is still standing by the door with his mouth and eyes wide open.

"Fai, won't you join us?" I ask him sweetly.

I see his mother is nervous. She's glancing between us unsurely, twisting her hands.

I didn't really picture Fai's mom before, but as I see her for the first time now, it's hard to miss she's absolutely gorgeous. She looks way younger than she is and I can spot a few similarities between her and Fai – for instance, they have the same smile and Fai's one brown eye is the exact same shade as hers and he definitely got her hair color.

Fai slowly walks into the kitchen as if he's in a daze. His mother watches him as I put a glass of orange juice down in front of her.

"What the fuck?" Fai asks.

I join his mother in looking at him. "Huh?" I ask innocently, sweetly, batting my eyelashes.

"What the fuck?" he repeats, still standing there in the middle of the kitchen, staring at us as if we're ghosts.

"I – maybe this wasn't a good idea?" Laila directs the question to me.

I put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "Nonsense! We're both very happy to see you."

Fai clenches his jaw. Then unclenches it. Then he clenches his hands in fists and unclenches then. He repeats this a few times. "How did this happen?" he asks when he gets himself under control, it seems.

"It's a long story, honey. Maybe you should sit down and we'll both tell you the story." I take out a chair for him to sit down, giving him my sweet smile. This will teach you, darling. You don't mess with me without getting something in return.

He sits down, looking like he's in a daze. I turn to the stove and put on water for tea. "Do you want some tea, too, honey?" I call sweetly.

I'm waiting for some long seconds for the response. "No," he finally says.