42.

❝ World is sleeping, I'm awake with you❞

On the graduation day, the weather is extremely hot, but windy. I sit somewhere in the middle, bored out of my mind, somewhere else in my thoughts completely.

Fai came, even though I told him he didn't have to because even I didn't want to go, but he said that he's going just because he wants to clap and shout when they call me on stage to give me that one piece of paper.

Harper couldn't come, but we're going to have a small celebration in the evening at Fai's place because it's the safest there and. We both took a free evening for this.

When I get called on the stage, I'm surprised to hear the congratulations that my results came out the best of them all. Surprised because I know that Many, the class bitch, was drowning herself in the books. She'd give her arm and leg to be, if not the best, then one of the best ones, at least.

My gaze involuntarily searches for Mandy in the crowd, finding her shocked and furious face. For a moment there, I feel kind of sorry. I didn't deserve this because I know I didn't do much for it and I know others have been giving their all to even pass those tests.

But my thoughts get interrupted and my eyes shoot to Fai who is, true to his word, standing up, clapping, and shouting, "You go, Kadience!"

They put the folder in my hands, shake my hand and we take a quick picture. They ask me to say a few words, making me frown slightly as I get gently pushed towards the microphone. I stare at the small desk and then look at the crowd, wondering what the hell to say. I don't think there's anyone that would be interested in hearing what I have to say.

Besides, I didn't even prepare any speech. I know I should because I was expected to give one since I had the best grades in our class – and generation overall, but truth be told, I just forgot it with everything going on in my life. I didn't care half as much as I should about the school.

I bite down onto my lower lip. I was never much of a talker, especially not for the big crowds. "I'm going to be very short and brief with my speech because, trust me, I know we're all just waiting to be done with this, go home and get drunk." This sentence erupts with laughter amongst the crowd. "My name is Kadience Myers, but that's not important – it does not matter to you who I am, but I hope it matters who you are to yourselves and who you have been in these challenging years. Have you been kind? Easily got angered? Were you a bully? Were you bullied? Were you a fighter?"