Chapter 10

Dakota walks over to me and sits on the side of the bed. "What's going on?"

I turn this back around, "In what sense are you asking this question?"

Dakota replies, "I'm asking in the context that I'm concerned for you in a way that I don't know how to describe because I've never felt this way towards you before, and I don't know what it is that I'm feeling."

That makes me chuckle. I take Dakota's hand with both of mine and say, "Well, that makes 2 of us. But to answer your question, everything is just finally taking its toll on me: I'm exhausted, I have a headache, and I need sleep. And, I cannot focus on anything right now."

Dakota places a hand on my leg comfortingly, "That is totally understandable. It is almost 0600. You haven't slept unless you count being unconscious and you did get all this information thrown at you.

My brain starts fast tracking and reeling. "What time did I get here?" I say rather quickly and a little bit surprised.

"About half past midnight."

"Have you been here the whole time?"

Dakota shrugs and takes my hands in theirs, "Where else would I go? You're here, so I'm here."

I instantly switch into overprotective mode. "Dude. You haven't taken care of yourself? You know you're only supposed to keep that binder on for so many hours. What were you thinking?" I say a little too harshly.

Dax looks down at our intertwined hands to avoid eye contact. They begin softly, "I wasn't even thinking about me. I honestly totally forgot about it until you just mentioned it. I've been so caught up worrying about you and trying to figure out how Sky got you involved when I tried so hard to keep you from this. I've barely been able to breathe because you were in bad shape. Then, I had to start calling shots and taking care of business at the same time which I totally was not prepared for. And while I was doing all of that, you were the only thing I could think about."

I hold their face with my hands so they have to look at me. I try to speak with care, "I appreciate that you've taken care of me and stayed by my side. I mean it. But now, it's time for me to take care of you."

"What do you mean?" with those green eyes twisting in confusion.

I ask for my phone. Dax goes and grabs it and hands it to me. I begin texting mom, "Grab Dax's sweatshirt out of your car and the drawstring bag."

Mom texts back, "Binder emergency?"

"Says me. They forgot about it."

"I'm not surprised. I'll be there shortly." Thinking about all that's happened, I can't say I'm surprised either. A lot has happened. We went to the club, and I ended up in a hospital of all places. That's a lot for someone who doesn't know this life. Either way it's a lot even when I'm used to it.

I get pulled from my thoughts when Dax says, "That's what you meant. You keep a sweatshirt in your mom's car for me? That's so sweet."

With a slight smile, I respond, "Hey. I would do a lot more for you but you're so overpowering and intimidating." My brain switches gears, "Sooo, where do we stand now? We both have new and stronger feelings for each other that we can't describe."

Dakota hesitates, "You're still my best friend Ollie. Where do you want this to go?"

I don't know why my indecisive ass set me up for this question to be turned on me. I start my go-to rambling, "I don't want to lose you. I know what I'm saying, but it's more than that. When you seemed surprised that I woke up, my brain woke up shortly before that. My body was still asleep. I could tell that you were near because I heard your voice, but I didn't know what you were saying. I surprised myself that I was able to mumble out your name. But then, I started thinking about the person who texted me and the decision that I had to make. That led me to my father and back to you. I panicked so much that I startled my body awake. I don't know what this feeling is, but I want to be with you even more than I already am.

Dax laughs mildly, "Does that mean you changed your mind on sex?"

I'll give them that; that was slightly funny not knowing what I'm saying. "No, you can still have your fuck buddies. I'm not doing that even if it is with you."

Dakota's face is laced with confusion, "So, what are you saying?"

I try to steady my breathing and my mind before I say what's next, "I'm saying that I finally understand what it's like to want to be in a life-long relationship with someone."

"So, it took for both of our pasts to merge for us to figure this out. I'm not marrying you unless I have to," Dax restates to make sure they comprehended correctly.

"Good. I don't want to get married either."

Dax pulls me into a kiss as we solidify this new beginning. It's everything you could've dreamed of. Granted they have had a shit ton more practice than me. We pull apart at the sound of my mother's interruption, "Took you boys long enough."

"What are you talking about?" as I rest my forehead on Dakota's

Mom clarifies, "You two were the only ones oblivious to your feelings for each other, but apparently, not anymore."

Dakota starts speaking under their breath, "Avery did mention something like that earlier now that you mention it."

"When did this happen?" I pull my head away to look them in the eyes.

Dax thinks back, "Right before the paramedics put oxygen on you as I was about to follow y'all to the ambulance."

Mom interjects right on cue, "Anyways, I have your sweatshirt Dakota."

"Thanks Momma Vasi," Dax replies. Dakota walks over to mom and takes their sweatshirt and bag and leaves to change.

"So, what brought the spark on?"

"Just another brush with death,"

"Do you have to speak about it so casually?" mom says with pure annoyance.

"You asked, and it's the truth. You didn't have to hide this from me, yet you did. Now look at where we are. This time it was on you."

"Do you have to be so cruel?"

Two can play this game, and it's not really a game. I retort, "It's in my genes. Either from that brother of yours or that man you married."

Mom starts speaking in that mom-tone where it's not yelling but it's not fussing either but you definitely know something's wrong, "I was trying to have a sweet moment with my son after all that's happened tonight."

There's no point in arguing this or with her. It's not gonna go anywhere. All I can find myself saying is, "Right. Maybe you should just go home and catch up on some sleep."

Mother is absolutely appalled, "Who are you turning into?"

I bluntly blurt out, "How about neither of my parents." Mom just stares at me. She doesn't know how to respond.

There's a little bit of awkward silence but Dakota comes in and breaks through that tension. "Thanks again for the sweatshirt and bag Momma Vasi," they say walking back in.

"Anytime. I'll see you boys later," mom says then leaves without hesitation.

Apparently, Dax can see the craziness playing out on my face because all they ask is, "What is it this time?"

I run my hands down my face, "Let's just say that you came back at the right moment." I slide over on the bed, so I can make room for Dax, "Come join me," I say as I reach out my hands.

"You sure that's a good idea Ollie?"

They mention valid points. I dismiss it, "I don't know, and I don't care. I want to cuddle and sleep with my partner."

Dax smiles and starts walking over to the bed saying, "I like the sound of that. Coming 'boyfriend'. Gosh that sounds weird to say."

I laugh and acknowledge them, "We'll get used to it because it definitely sounded weird to listen to."

Dakota asks me, "You comfortable?"

I softly answer, "Yep. You?" while snuggling in closer.

Dakota replies, "I'm always comfortable when I'm with you." And with that, I think we both start to fall asleep simultaneously.